Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Color Bind Switch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Color Bind Switch Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Color Bind Switch - 11/18/2017 1:56:49 AM   
jbdenney

I am wondering about the "-colorblind" switch. I am red-green color blind and that makes a lot of the menu indicators (green/yellow/orang/red) every hard to see. I tried adding -colorBlind to the startup shortcut and I don't see any difference.

My full command line is...

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -wd -r -skipVideo -px1680 -py1050 -altFont -deepColor -dd_sw -colorBlind
Post #: 1
RE: Color Bind Switch - 11/18/2017 1:34:02 PM   
MakeeLearn

It just makes ALL text white. NO OTHER COLOR.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 11/18/2017 1:53:09 PM >

(in reply to jbdenney)
Post #: 2
RE: Color Bind Switch - 11/18/2017 6:48:41 PM   
geofflambert

If it's actually supposed to be "-colorblind" then "-colorBlind" would be ignored.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3
RE: Color Bind Switch - 11/18/2017 6:54:40 PM   
geofflambert

Just checked. It is "-colorBlind". Did you copy and paste that command line in your post?

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 4
RE: Color Bind Switch - 11/18/2017 6:58:09 PM   
geofflambert

This from the Ministry for Funny Walks:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: Color Bind Switch - 11/20/2017 4:58:42 PM   
jbdenney

The command line above was a copy/paste of the command line I used in my shortcut.

When I tried "-colorblind" the one place I looked was in the Ground unit report. Along the top where you selected which nation's units are display I still had my original problem. I saw nothing different.

I understand that to display a nation's units you click on the name and I suppose the name turns green. If you click it to yellow it does not show that nations units. Those entries were still colored.

My problem is that I cannot distinguish between the two colors in the list. At best in good light there is a slight difference in brightness. I have to select "all units" until all of the units disappear from the display. I can then click a single nation and see only its units.

This is true on every click to select list in the game. Also when supply level warnings shifting between green, orange and red are almost impossible for me to see.

(in reply to jbdenney)
Post #: 6
RE: Color Bind Switch - 11/20/2017 5:49:36 PM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jbdenney)
Post #: 7
RE: Color Bind Switch - 11/20/2017 5:51:43 PM   
geofflambert

Are you using the -altFont switch? That's a little bigger and easier on our old eyes and might help you a tad.

Post #: 8
RE: Color Bind Switch - 11/20/2017 6:13:27 PM   
geofflambert

Have you tried fiddling around with the contrast? Also I think there's a way to substitute colors but you'd likely want to be using 16 bit colors rather than 32 (don't use the -deepColor switch).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
RE: Color Bind Switch - 11/20/2017 6:14:21 PM   
geofflambert

Have you tried anything like these:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 10
RE: Color Bind Switch - 11/20/2017 6:24:17 PM   
geofflambert

I suppose you'd have to play the game in Windows mode for this to work.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 11
RE: Color Bind Switch - 11/20/2017 6:24:31 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

A general note about switches. When an invalid switch is encountered (because it's misspelled or whatever) it does what's called "fails silently". In other words the game does not complain or crash and burn, it just ignores the invalid switch. That's good because it won't stop you from starting up the game, and the drawback is that you have to check manually to make sure whatever switch you used is doing what you want. For example -archive will cause the game to save all the report files for every turn in SAVE\archive (required for Intel Monkey, BTW!), but -Archive or -ARCHIVE are not understood by AE and do nothing. So if you made a spelling error reports would not be saved, and if you did not check until 10 turns later you will be missing a bunch of reports.

Post #: 12
RE: Color Bind Switch - 11/20/2017 7:18:44 PM   
MakeeLearn

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 13
RE: Color Bind Switch - 11/21/2017 1:11:45 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Try staring at something very red for a couple of minutes, then look at the image et voilà! You see green!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 14
RE: Color Bind Switch - 11/21/2017 1:05:34 PM   
jbdenney

I appreciate the suggestion of Visolve and it does make the colors more legible for me. The issue is that if you click on the screen the correction goes away.

I always have issues with game designers who do not think about color blindness. I loved "World in Flames" but the colors of some of the national counters looked the same to me. I cannot remember for sure but I seem to remember that the worst issue was distinguishing the US from the Italians. I know that when you have a lot of nationalities or need for color schemes it can be difficult to come up with combinations that do not have issues but I remember I had no issues with "War in Europe" since it was a combination of Counter color and Symbol color so of the background color looked the same I knew that counters for Nation A had a white unit symbol and Nation B had a black unit symbol.

And yes, before anyone points it out, I know that variations in the color characteristics between different computer monitors make the problem even worse.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 15
RE: Color Bind Switch - 11/21/2017 5:47:17 PM   
geofflambert

They should, when wanting emphasis put the text in italics or bold or all caps as well as use color.

(in reply to jbdenney)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Color Bind Switch Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI