Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) Page: <<   < prev  93 94 [95] 96 97   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 11:48:11 AM   
ny59giants

Japan does get the Liz and Rita 4e bombers. I have 3 x 36 Betty/Nell groups converted over to the Liz. I'm building 15 Liz/month.

The Allies get significant increase in Recon planes across the board. Nice to have them on CVs, too.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2821
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 11:51:54 AM   
Mike Solli

That's a LOT of HI. 144 per plane. Is the Japanese economy changed at all?

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2822
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 11:51:55 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

To have players who have NOT downloaded or are playing BTS or BTS Lite mod, the Allies have dedicated training groups - three USA Army, two Marine, three USN, and one Brit group that are just doing this. So, these mods are not a JFB dream set up. Many of the issues from RA which show up in Canoerebel vs John 3rd AARs, have been corrected. IMO, the current versions should be balanced, but possibly more bloody.

Ahh, but this is assuming those FF groups are used for training. Why not equalise using the prototypes for the Allies sometimes instead of always using the prototypes and very low number production models of Japanese planes?

Also, those groups cannot match the 500 planes you're using just from the FF you have there, right? So how does that make up for the ability to both use FF on any ship carrying seaplanes and to also train using resized FP/FF groups? The 9 training groups for the allies total 500+ pilots?

I play Japan, and I know there are a lot of cool and fun ideas they came up with, most of which either didn't work well in practice or weren't produced in the numbers we can in game.

If we want a fantasy game, it should be just as fantastic for both sides. That would be more fun.

I've looked at the OOB and get what you're saying but the Allied CVLs and training groups and airframe purchase pools and all of that just doesn't float my boat. It's chrome really compared to what the Japanese do have in these scenarios.

< Message edited by obvert -- 11/16/2017 11:54:46 AM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2823
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 11:52:40 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

It is!!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 2824
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 12:44:02 PM   
ny59giants

Actually Japan’s economy is under the gun to capture SRA quickly. They do have more “toys” to play with, but they cannot produce them all. Options and more options. John’s vision was to make Japan more capable longer, but not overwhelming. That’s why I’m playing this version and there are two new sets of AARs playing the newest versions.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2825
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 1:00:18 PM   
Kitakami

quote:

Actually Japan’s economy is under the gun to capture SRA quickly. They do have more “toys” to play with, but they cannot produce them all. Options and more options. John’s vision was to make Japan more capable longer, but not overwhelming. That’s why I’m playing this version and there are two new sets of AARs playing the newest versions.

Although I am a die-hard JFB, I am playing as the Allies in the latest version of BtS Light. The exercise came about because I wanted to know the enemy better, and boy, am I getting an education! I have made a number of mistakes, as I don't have a feel for the Allied tempo yet, but I am finding the Allied side a bit more forgiving in this mod... or at least I think so at this point :)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2826
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 1:26:03 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

It is!!

I have some experience with the first IJA heavy bomber against a brief Force Blue game against C-C. It really is worth making a squadron or two. The ability to hit deep and hard very early, without depleting your Nell/Betty squadrons is pretty darn neat.

They make for a great strategic bomber wing to nail the Chinese, Soviets, Oz, and even India. Port and Runway strikes deep.

If you have the option you need to make them, and use them to spread out all those Allied Fighters and AA.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2827
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 1:58:26 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

To have players who have NOT downloaded or are playing BTS or BTS Lite mod, the Allies have dedicated training groups - three USA Army, two Marine, three USN, and one Brit group that are just doing this. So, these mods are not a JFB dream set up. Many of the issues from RA which show up in Canoerebel vs John 3rd AARs, have been corrected. IMO, the current versions should be balanced, but possibly more bloody.

I will have time over the holidays to download and really get into the numbers, but I will pick just one BTS or Lite...which would you recommend?

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2828
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 2:02:10 PM   
Mike Solli

I used to be interested in the one that (if I remember correctly) decreased capacity on most or all of the ships and added a bunch of new ones (I think, small for the most part). Which one is that?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2829
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 2:05:43 PM   
Kitakami

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe
I will have time over the holidays to download and really get into the numbers, but I will pick just one BTS or Lite...which would you recommend?

If you are playing the Japanese side, play Lite. No Yamato/Musashi/Shinano, so building program is adjusted, you get the Owari-class BBs (9x 41 cm rifles), and you get 2 at start, 1x in '43, and 1x in '44. In my humble opinion, you are better off.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2830
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 2:06:45 PM   
Lowpe

Mike, absolutely mandatory reading for any JFB. Current playstyles, which sees a large investment in airplanes makes supply the normal endgame critical factor.

If instead you went for a huge navy then perhaps HI could be the crunch.

Alfred's Supply Opus:

(A) Overview

The determination of how large a supply stockpile should be, or how long it might last, is not an exact science. There are too many variables outside of a player’s control for 100% predictive accuracy. What can be identified are the factors which impact upon supply stockpiles at a particular base. These factors can be broadly classified as falling within the following areas:

• Supply creation
• Supply movement
• Supply destruction
• Supply consumption

These areas are looked at in detail in the following sections. When the discussion touches on naval matters, fuel is included in the discussion. By necessity, this discussion is essentially a summary, for complete details of all the game scenario data and relationships, readers are directed back to the manual.

One very important point for players to be aware of is that the aggregated supply of all your supply stockpiles from all your bases is of no real value. To accomplish anything you need to have supply (and fuel) locally where it will be consumed. Ten million supply points located in San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego will not feed your forces fighting on Guadalcanal. Those forces will be fed solely out of what is stored locally on Guadalcanal.

(B) Mummy, where does supply come from?

There are three basic supply sources:

• National Automatic
• Imports
• Industrial Enterprises

The Burma Road is a unique supply source. Each turn that the Allied player can trace an uninterrupted supply path along the transportation network linking Rangoon and Tsuyung, 500 supply points are delivered to Tsuyung.

(B.1) National Automatic

Scenario designers can assign a daily amount of supply (and or fuel) which will automatically arrive each day at a base. This automatic delivery will cease immediately upon the capture of the base by the enemy. The deliveries will immediately resume when the base is liberated from the enemy.

The amount delivered daily is the figure to the right of the slash in the supplies on hand data found on the base screen (see manual page 205). There is nothing the player can do to increase or reduce this amount in game, other than of course to lose/capture the base.

(B.2) Imports

Some importation of supply to a base occurs automatically without any player action required. Players can manually attempt to import supply (and fuel). The opposing player can block the automatic importation, or attempt to interdict the imported supply.
Most automatic importation of supply (and fuel) occurs overland but under certain restricted circumstances, it can also occur over water (see s.9.3.3.3 of the manual). There is no aerial automatic importation of supply. Players can manually import, by ships both supply and fuel, but airplanes cannot transport fuel they can only transport supply. Players cannot manually directly import supply (and fuel) overland, however by manipulation of the supply required spinner or stockpile option, a player can manually exert some influence on the direction and amount of supply moved overland by the program automatically.

Supply will not move automatically overland through a hexside owned by the enemy nor through a contested hex.
How often supply will automatically move overland depends on the quality of the overland transportation links. The table in s.8.3.1 of the manual details the cost of moving supply through the different terrain types and transportation infrastructure.

Each overland transportation route has a value which is determined by subtracting from 100 the cost of movement associated with each hex along which the supply must travel. The value of the overland route then determines how often a delivery is made:

• Four times per week if the overland transportation route amounts to 89 - 100
• Two times per week if the route amounts to 49 – 88
• Once per week if the route amounts to 10 – 48

Bases will only export supply which is viewed as surplus. Supply in excess of 3x the amount required by the base is considered surplus. This surplus supply may go to another base or be consumed by LCUs in the field.

The amount of supply which can be delivered by a Transport plane or Level Bomber is (Maximum Load)/2000. Fractions are rounded down but each plane can always deliver a minimum of 1 supply point.

(B.3) Industrial Enterprises

Most supply is generated by industrial enterprises. For the official scenarios supply is generated by:

• Heavy Industry, inputs needed are resources and fuel
• Light Industry, input needed is only resources
• Refinery, input needed is only oil

Players must distinguish between raw material production facilities and manufacturing facilities.

Raw material production facilities are resource and oil centres. These facilities immediately cease to produce raw materials as soon as any enemy LCU enters the hex.

Provided they retain access to the necessary raw materials, either by importation or accessing a local stockpile, manufacturing facilities will continue to produce supply even if an enemy LCU is present in the hex.

Production at all industrial enterprises can be damaged by several means:

• City attack air mission (see pages 151-152 of the manual)
• Naval bombardment task force
• Upon base capture by the enemy, the amount of damage suffered by these facilities is influenced by the quantity of defending surviving engineers present at the changeover

(C) Honey, I seem to have shrunk the supply stockpile!

Sometimes players will look at the supply stockpiled at a base and see it is inexplicably disappearing. Excluding the detailed factors which are looked at in section (D) below, the usual reasons for an unexplained shrinking supply stockpile are:

• Supply (and fuel) spoilage
• Repair of industrial enterprises
• Airfield/port supply hits

(C.1) Spoilage

Bases whose combined airfield and port levels amount to less than 9 can suffer spoilage of their supply (and fuel) stockpile.

Spoilage will occur if the following base thresholds are exceeded:

• Size 8 – above 197k supply (129k fuel)
• Size 7 – above 152k supply (99k fuel)
• Size 6 – above 113k supply (73k fuel)
• Size 5 – above 80k supply (51k fuel)
• Size 4 – above 53k supply (33k fuel)
• Size 3 – above 32k supply (19k fuel)
• Size 2 – above 17k supply (9k fuel)
• Size 1 – above 8k supply (3k fuel)

Note that the check for spoilage is made for each stockpile. A Size 8 base with 154k supply plus 83k fuel will not suffer spoilage. It will suffer supply spoilage if it has 204k supply plus 22k fuel.

Dot bases can store up to 5k supplies and 1k fuel before suffering spoilage.

(C.2) Industrial Repairs

It costs supply to repair damaged industrial facilities. This is a particularly important point for Japanese players to remember for they have many more industrial facilities which might need to be repaired than the list of those dealt with in section (B.3) above.

The cost to repair a single damaged industrial centre is 1k supply. The repair will only commence if the player has also “lodged“ a 10k supply “bond” with the “tradesmen”. The supply must be present onsite.

(C.3) Airfield/Port Supply Hits

Attacks against airfields and ports can result in supply hits which destroy some supply. The actual amount so destroyed is very difficult to quantify for several reasons.

• The combat report is subject to FOW so there is always some uncertainty as to how many hits actually ensued
• Fort levels and terrain affect the supply hits
• The amount of supply destroyed is a random amount based on the device’s effect and anti-soft rating – essentially the bigger the bomb the more damage inflicted

(D) Professor, they’ll never find a use for supply, there just isn’t any demand for it!

Congratulations, if you have read this far, now comes the pay off. Supply present locally is the game currency needed to undertake the following activities not mentioned previously.

• Feed LCUs – starving LCUs have reduced firepower, reduced capacity to reduce fatigue, a lower adjusted Assault Value
• Air missions
• Rearm ships after combat
• Pay for receiving replacements for both land and air units
• Construction of base facilities

(D.1) LCU supply cost

Most players emphasise the Assault Value (AV) of a LCU instead of the combat firepower of the unit which is a much more useful measure. The merits of the two measures is however a discussion best left to another day. What players do generally tend to pay little attention is the cost of maintaining a unit out in the field.

The average size of a fully built up Allied division is about 450 AV. A fully equipped Chinese LCU could be double this but they tend to lack access to the necessary supply. A division of about 450 AV, which is not engaged in combat will consume approximately 1500 supply points monthly, or 50 daily. A brigade of approximately 150 AV not engaged in combat will consume approximately 500 supply points monthly.

(D.2) Cost of air missions

Each sortie flown consumes supply. Lack the requisite supply, the air mission is not flown. The actual supply cost depends on the type of mission flown and the type of plane as follows:

• Offensive Mission flown by a Level Bomber, the cost is (Maximum Load/1000) per plane
• Offensive Mission flown by a Dive Bomb or Torpedo, the cost is 1 supply point per plane
• Other missions such as Search and CAP expend only 1/3 of a supply point per plane

Hence a 12 plane Liberator squadron sent to bomb an airfield will consume 96 supply points. A USMC torpedo squadron of 18 Avengers will consume 18 supply points.

(D.3) Ship Rearming

The rearming of a ship after combat consumes supply. The supply cost is:

• [(Weapon Effect Rating * 2) * (Number of Guns) * (Ammo per gun)] / 2000

(D.4) Cost of replacements

The basic supply cost for a LCU replacement device is the load cost.

For air units, the supply cost for each replacement airframe depends on the type of airframe:

• 12 supply points for fighter, fighter bomber
• 15 supply points for dive bomber, torpedo bomber, float plane, float fighter
• 18 supply points for night fighter, recon
• 30 supply points for heavy bomber, medium bomber, light bomber, attack bomber, transport, patrol

Thus the previously mentioned 12 plane Liberator squadron (see D.2 above) consumed 96 supply points to fly the mission. If the squadron had 4 planes shot down, it would need an additional 120 supply points to replace it’s losses.

(D.5) Base facilities

The repair of base facilities (airfield and port) does not cost supply. However the construction of base facilities (airfield, port and forts) does consume supply. The supply is not actually consumed by the facility but by the engineers engaged in the construction work.

Engineers must be in combat mode to build base facilities. Whilst working, each engineer (an engineer vehicle = 5 engineers) consumes 1 supply point each 12 hours. Hence if a player has 100 engineers building, they will consume 200 supply points daily, an amount which is equivalent to approximately 4 infantry divisions.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 11/16/2017 2:07:36 PM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2831
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 2:13:48 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

I used to be interested in the one that (if I remember correctly) decreased capacity on most or all of the ships and added a bunch of new ones (I think, small for the most part). Which one is that?

That is the one I am currently playing with Obvert. DaIronbabes I think it is called, whoever named these should be shot, or maybe simply it is my mind...for the life of me I can never remember which is which (all the other contributors to this mod should be given medals). I will double check the scenario number, but I seem to think it is #28 for a Scenario 1 style game with lots of small ships and reduced cargo capacity, stacking limits, and a revised oob for both sides....labor squads etc.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 2832
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 2:18:40 PM   
Mike Solli

Thanks, Lowpe. I printed it off to read at my leisure and add to my binder.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2833
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 2:19:48 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

That is the one I am currently playing with Obvert. DaIronbabes I think it is called, whoever named these should be shot, or maybe simply it is my mind...for the life of me I can never remember which is which (all the other contributors to this mod should be given medals). I will double check the scenario number, but I seem to think it is #28 for a Scenario 1 style game with lots of small ships and reduced cargo capacity, stacking limits, and a revised oob for both sides....labor squads etc.

I don't recall hearing about the labor squads, but I think that is the one. How do you like it?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2834
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 2:22:43 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

Thanks, Lowpe. I printed it off to read at my leisure and add to my binder.

Ha! I have read and re-read that document countless times.

Instead of a binder, which I did have once upon a time...I use Onenote on the cloud. However, I am slowly but surely migrating over to Zoho.com as I am trying to diversify my business away from Microsoft/Google.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 2835
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 2:32:49 PM   
ny59giants

I've played DBB and mods based on it for so many years now, that a stock game and the LCUs look totally strange to me.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2836
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 5:30:16 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Ahh, that's a big difference. The vast majority of my FP groups are at 24 and doing Naval Search/ASW duty against subs along the SLOC to the SRA and other critical choke points. I train them in both and then put the unit at 40% NS, 40% ASW and 20% rest.

If you do these settings, my experience is (over 3 years of these missions) ops losses will be high. I either reduced the percentages or the range to normal, not extended, or both.

It's telling that the Jake was (and maybe still is) the plane in the game that has the most losses. Over 1200 to ops.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 2837
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 6:50:14 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Losing the fleet in 1943 would not be a wise course of action.  However, sustaining some ship losses to destroy an Allied invasion fleet can be a very good outcome.  See the impact Lowpe's destruction of the Midway invasion fleet had on his Allied opponent's plans.  Went a long way to achieving the circumstances which led to his withdrawal from the match.

Re airplane sortie consumption, page 252 of the manual provides the details.  Essentially supply consumption per sortie is:

• 1 for non level bombers flying an offensive mission
  • level bombers flying an offensive mission expend (maximum load/1000)
  • 1 for escort mission
  • 1/3 for all other missions

Alfred

exactly, so for Helen at normal that is 2 sup/mission.
DT is 2x ... to escort/sweeps get pricey for Tojo
CAP is cheap though ... and rest is free.

Pax

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 2838
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/16/2017 7:42:38 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

Ahh, that's a big difference. The vast majority of my FP groups are at 24 and doing Naval Search/ASW duty against subs along the SLOC to the SRA and other critical choke points. I train them in both and then put the unit at 40% NS, 40% ASW and 20% rest.

If you do these settings, my experience is (over 3 years of these missions) ops losses will be high. I either reduced the percentages or the range to normal, not extended, or both.

It's telling that the Jake was (and maybe still is) the plane in the game that has the most losses. Over 1200 to ops.

Ok, I just checked and my Jake op losses to date are 61. The only unit that had a lot of losses was one where I had 70% doing ASW/NS and the other 30% on training. I'll fix that next turn. Some of them have their morale low (for me) at ~60 with fatigue creeping up to 25-30. I'll up the rest % next turn as well.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2839
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/17/2017 10:23:26 PM   
Mike Solli

Ok guys, maybe you can figure this out. My bombardment TF, including Yamato and Musashi, bombarded Adak then moved back to Etorofu, where they completely replenished, including the 18 inchers. Etorofu has a size 3 port and no naval support. Here's Etorofu:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 2840
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/17/2017 10:24:34 PM   
Mike Solli

And here's the bombardment fleet:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 2841
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/17/2017 10:57:00 PM   
nashvillen

What about AKEs? Do you have any there? If so, how much supply do they have left?

I found I could keep the Yamato’s and Nagato BBs reloading at Rabaul with some AKEs taking up the slack in reload capacity.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 2842
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/18/2017 1:11:46 AM   
Mike Solli

I forgot about the AKEs! I have 2 there, both with 4900 capacity. One is down to 3394 and the other is down to 3396. Someone said they wouldn't replenish the Yamatos main battery. Apparently, that was incorrect.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 2843
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/18/2017 12:25:13 PM   
ny59giants

Do you have a Naval HQ with lots of Naval Support you could more to Ominato? Or maybe you have already done so.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 2844
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/18/2017 12:30:37 PM   
Mike Solli

What's the significance of the Naval HQ in Ominato? It currently has a size 7 port? Is that so they could replenish without AKEs?

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2845
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/18/2017 1:17:53 PM   
Mike Solli

19 May 43

Sub War

There were about a dozen total incidents involving subs all over the map. With one exception, nothing happened other than wasting ammo. A few hexes SW of Munda, an Allied ASW TF found poor RO-64, drove her to the surface with depth charges and shot her full of holes. Poor RO-64. Until she sank, she caused damage all out of proportion to what most believe an RO class is capable of doing.

5 Fleet

As you already read, the Yamato and Musashi replenished their main gun ammo at Etorofu, a size 3 port with no naval support but with 2x AKEs (Lima I think?). They’ll head back to Adak to work the Americans over again.

Question for the group: The bombardment force is composed of 4 BB, 2 CL & 6 DD. Should I send them in as 1 group or split them to hit the Americans two nights in a row? Also, if split, how? Evenly? Some other way? Typically, if I am going after planes on the ground, I’ll hit them 2 nights in a row. The second TF will destroy a lot of the planes that the first TF damaged the night before. Not sure with troops though. They’re isolated so there’s a finite amount of supply. Still, there should be more disabled squads the second night if 2 TFs go in.

Today, 3x B24D1s tried their luck against Adak. Fourteen Oscars and a few Zeros from Junyo countered, damaging them. Flak got one (yay!) and they did no damage. Not sure what they were going after, because they caused no damage.

Off to the east, Mississippi is still limping, now due east to safety. I will have 2 subs in her path to finish her off, hopefully. So far, she’s taken 4 sub torpedoes and is still afloat. Tough old bird.

4 Fleet

Nothing to report.

SE Fleet

This area is rapidly becoming expendable. His air power is overwhelming me everywhere, except Gasmata. He sent two individual Kittyhawk III squadrons totaling 30 aircraft there. My Tojos and Zeros butchered them, shooting down 14 with another 5 op losses. I lost 2 Zeros (and pilots) for their effort. I expect visits from his 4E beasts soon.

He hit a lot of my bases, including Rabaul and Shortlands. The only Japanese planes remaining on those two bases are damaged.

Only the US CV TF remains at Munda. Unfortunately, the APAs got away. KB is still hovering to the NW, still undetected. It’s burning precious fuel, but if they can hit something in relative safety, it’s worth the fuel cost.

SRA

Nothing to report.

Burma

My fighters swept Cox’s Bazaar today, but Ted wouldn’t play. Most of his fighters are at Chittagong and refused to engage. I have noticed that his Hurricane IIc survive better than the P-40K. The Warhawk is rapidly becoming obsolete. It’s probably best for Ted that those replacements are phased out in a couple of months.

China

Nothing much to report. I’ll be entering Chengtu in a couple of days, so that base should be liberated soon.

Other Stuff

I have 620 armament factories and 500 of them have been shut off for months. I just turned on another 100. My armament pool is currently 106,890 and increasing very slightly each day. I have set a new goal of 150k. I’ll see how much the extra hundred does and may just turn on the lot until I get to the new goal.

I expect to have enough Georges to fill a daitai by the end of the month. I have 19 right now with 3 operational factories repairing and currently at 18(12) each. I’m torn between SE Fleet and Burma but leaning toward Burma right now. The A6M5 isn’t good enough to survive. I have a 36 plane daitai of them in Burma, but they usually just perform CAP. Whenever they do a sweep mission, I lose a few, and usually more than the Tojos. I’m hoping the George does better. According to many of you, it does, but I’ve never had a George in this game. It’s getting exciting. I need it too.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 2846
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/18/2017 1:19:39 PM   
ny59giants

Port Size + Naval Support = quicker loading/unloading of supplies and troops and your replenishment of warships without AKEs. The Nav HQ can lend that to ports within its command range.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 2847
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/18/2017 1:24:37 PM   
ny59giants

In my limited experience in playing Japan, I haven't been happy with the amount of damage the CLs with DDs inflict in bombardment missions. The modern American CLs are a lot better in this role. So, I place them as flotilla leaders with my DDs or in CV TFs to allow CAs to go into bombardment missions.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2848
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/18/2017 1:31:50 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

In my limited experience in playing Japan, I haven't been happy with the amount of damage the CLs with DDs inflict in bombardment missions. The modern American CLs are a lot better in this role. So, I place them as flotilla leaders with my DDs or in CV TFs to allow CAs to go into bombardment missions.

Japanese ships are greatly inferior to the Allies in shore bombardment roles.

Please, Michael, take them out of the CV TFs! Most have next to nothing in AA. CLAA conversion are good, though and the Agano & Oyodo class but a lot of JFB don't build them).

Park the Oi for the end game and the Kaiten upgrade!!!!!

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 11/18/2017 1:32:35 PM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2849
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 11/18/2017 1:32:55 PM   
Mike Solli

I agree with you Michael. But, I had no CAs available. So I took the two most modern CLs that happened to be available.

Ominato looks good, with 5 Fleet (command radius = 9) and 421 naval support. Of course, Etorofu is 10 hexes away.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2850
Page:   <<   < prev  93 94 [95] 96 97   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) Page: <<   < prev  93 94 [95] 96 97   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI