Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  117 118 [119] 120 121   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/13/2017 1:07:43 AM   
jwolf

How do you know all the birds of one type were distinct? Or does it matter?

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3541
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/13/2017 1:22:46 AM   
geofflambert

I try and identify gender in species that are sexually dimorphic, but today was a dreary day and the lighting was inadequate to confidently make such identification comprehensively. Meaning I had difficulty telling female House Sparrows from House Finches and they were flitting about back and forth and here to fro and I could only count them if I could positively identify them, and in today's lighting that meant getting a clear look at them through binoculars, and there were just too many of them today. So I wrote down what I was absolutely sure of and that will be collated with what I see tomorrow. I got a pretty good representations of the usual suspects but had a highly unusual visitor as well. I've only laid eyeballs on one of this species once before, not saying it isn't common, it ranges over both North and South America, I just haven't seen it and known what I was seeing but once before. It just came in to get a sip of water from one of my bird baths, but frightened off about 14 Mourning Doves that were foraging in my yard. It's certainly big enough to take a dove but mostly feeds on songbirds and small rodents. A beautiful bird, an American Kestrel. It was at my bird bath so shortly that I barely put my binocs on it and it flew off. I dearly would have liked to get a pic of it. Here's a couple of pics I Googled so you could see what a gorgeous babe it is.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3542
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/13/2017 1:23:44 AM   
geofflambert

Now here's a pic I took of one last year on a day with heavy fog.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3543
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/13/2017 1:31:00 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

The rule is that you count the largest number of whatever species you can see at one time. Therefor you must positively identify every individual you are counting. For practical purposes, if you can't certify that a bird was a female House Finch versus a female House Sparrow, you can't count it at all. Today I was dead certain I saw two female House Finches at the same time. There were scores of small birds out there at the same time and there was no way I could count them all. I could only count the ones I could positively identify and tally the largest number of them that I could see and identify at the same time.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 3544
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/13/2017 1:35:08 AM   
geofflambert

Sounds a lot like Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, but the job is you must both know the identity of the species and the number of them at the same time. You can do it but identity is paramount and number fleeting.

Post #: 3545
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/13/2017 1:54:46 AM   
jwolf

Heh, thanks for the clarification and the nod to Heisenberg. The Kestrel is indeed a beauty.

Post #: 3546
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/13/2017 12:12:35 PM   
MakeeLearn

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 3547
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/13/2017 2:24:45 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle

No uncertainty - that curbside nest will get them all squashed!

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3548
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/14/2017 4:06:51 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

The rule is that you count the largest number of whatever species you can see at one time. Therefor you must positively identify every individual you are counting. For practical purposes, if you can't certify that a bird was a female House Finch versus a female House Sparrow, you can't count it at all. Today I was dead certain I saw two female House Finches at the same time. There were scores of small birds out there at the same time and there was no way I could count them all. I could only count the ones I could positively identify and tally the largest number of them that I could see and identify at the same time.

Thank you for sharing this. And your figures above.

I am somewhat surprised that you didn't have to report the largest total number of birds you could see at the same time.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 3549
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/14/2017 4:07:16 AM   
Orm

quote:

I try and identify gender in species that are sexually dimorphic, but today was a dreary day and the lighting was inadequate to confidently make such identification comprehensively. Meaning I had difficulty telling female House Sparrows from House Finches and they were flitting about back and forth and here to fro and I could only count them if I could positively identify them, and in today's lighting that meant getting a clear look at them through binoculars, and there were just too many of them today. So I wrote down what I was absolutely sure of and that will be collated with what I see tomorrow. I got a pretty good representations of the usual suspects but had a highly unusual visitor as well. I've only laid eyeballs on one of this species once before, not saying it isn't common, it ranges over both North and South America, I just haven't seen it and known what I was seeing but once before. It just came in to get a sip of water from one of my bird baths, but frightened off about 14 Mourning Doves that were foraging in my yard. It's certainly big enough to take a dove but mostly feeds on songbirds and small rodents. A beautiful bird, an American Kestrel. It was at my bird bath so shortly that I barely put my binocs on it and it flew off. I dearly would have liked to get a pic of it. Here's a couple of pics I Googled so you could see what a gorgeous babe it is.

A very good looking bird.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 3550
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/14/2017 4:08:23 AM   
Orm

quote:

Orm needs his fix.

Yea, now I am good for a while.

Thank you for sharing.

Post #: 3551
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/14/2017 1:42:15 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Heisenbird's uncertainty principle

Fixed your caption for you.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3552
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/15/2017 8:18:35 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Heisenbird's uncertainty principle

Fixed your caption for you.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3553
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/15/2017 7:45:27 PM   
Zorch

We are not amused.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3554
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/15/2017 9:06:55 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

We are not amused.

Indeed

Attachment (1)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 3555
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/15/2017 10:10:07 PM   
BBfanboy

Let's hear from the authorities ....

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3556
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/18/2017 7:18:27 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

Thank you for sharing this. And your figures above.

I am somewhat surprised that you didn't have to report the largest total number of birds you could see at the same time.

That would be impossible, even for humans, because they're all moving all the time. Now gorns can only count as high as 99 and I have no doubt there have been more than that in my backyard at once, at least once, but no more than on 99 occasions, I think.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3557
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/18/2017 7:23:12 PM   
witpqs

Do Gorns count the birds as they swallow them?

Post #: 3558
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/18/2017 7:23:43 PM   
MakeeLearn

"You Screaming to me? You Screaming to me? You Screaming to me? Then who the hell else are you Screaming... you Screaming to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the cluck do you think you're Screaming to? Oh yeah? OK."

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 3559
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/18/2017 7:36:51 PM   
geofflambert

Let me check my records ...

Yes, here is one. There were a bunch of birds, I can recall lots of doves and sparrows and finches. Then a flock of starlings arrived. I'm quite sure there were 99 birds total, or at least that number anyway.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3560
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/18/2017 7:49:37 PM   
MakeeLearn

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3561
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/18/2017 7:59:29 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Let me check my records ...

Yes, here is one. There were a bunch of birds, I can recall lots of doves and sparrows and finches. Then a flock of starlings arrived. I'm quite sure there were 99 birds total, or at least that number anyway.

"PS: They were delicious!"

Post #: 3562
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/18/2017 8:00:37 PM   
geofflambert

Here's a sheet from last season. The "T" figure by House Finch is the total number I saw but I was unable to say how many males and how many females. I did note how many of each I was able to identify at the same time. I don't even try on the Juncos though if in sunlight and if I get a good look through the binocs I can tell. When I enter the counts online and I enter a count for any species of finch it asks me if I checked for an eye disease that's been going around and I report any cases. I've never actually seen one with the disease. I sometimes take pictures as my camera has more zoom in it than my binocs. I mention gender counts in a comments section. There's also a way to cite instances of conflict, either predation attempts or displacement from a feeder spot, IDing each species involved, whether the attempt was successful, and any description I might want to add. I usually don't do that except in exceptional cases as there are just hundreds of such on a given day, and they want each distinct event recorded uniquely. But they only ask you to do that if you feel like it.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3563
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/18/2017 8:08:21 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Here's a sheet from last season. The "T" figure by House Finch is the total number I saw but I was unable to say how many males and how many females. I did note how many of each I was able to identify at the same time. I don't even try on the Juncos though if in sunlight and if I get a good look through the binocs I can tell. When I enter the counts online and I enter a count for any species of finch it asks me if I checked for an eye disease that's been going around and I report any cases. I've never actually seen one with the disease. I sometimes take pictures as my camera has more zoom in it than my binocs. I mention gender counts in a comments section. There's also a way to cite instances of conflict, either predation attempts or displacement from a feeder spot, IDing each species involved, whether the attempt was successful, and any description I might want to add. I usually don't do that except in exceptional cases as there are just hundreds of such on a given day, and they want each distinct event recorded uniquely. But they only ask you to do that if you feel like it.

So they have symbols for male, female, and "T". What is "T"?

Post #: 3564
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/18/2017 8:09:03 PM   
geofflambert

They also have me describe the count site, telling about all the vegetation within a hundred meters, what type area (mine is urban mixed), how much human activity (not including vehicles) outside is normal within 100 feet of the site, same for dogs and cats, and fresh water resources within a half mile, plus any birdbaths present, how many and of what type feeders I have and what types of feed I supply, and if any of my neighbors within 100 meters have any feeders out normally.

Post #: 3565
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/18/2017 8:12:33 PM   
MakeeLearn

Countable?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3566
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/18/2017 8:20:41 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

So they have symbols for male, female, and "T". What is "T"?

I put all the names and symbols on the sheet. The "T" means total (both sexes) if I need it. There are no transsexual birds allowed in my yard.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3567
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/18/2017 8:22:17 PM   
geofflambert

Did you make that yourself MakeeLearn? That's hilarious.

Post #: 3568
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/18/2017 8:25:24 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

Did you make that yourself MakeeLearn? That's hilarious.

Found it.

Post #: 3569
RE: OT Things to ponder - 11/18/2017 8:28:35 PM   
geofflambert

Corrected version.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3570
Page:   <<   < prev  117 118 [119] 120 121   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  117 118 [119] 120 121   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI