Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

a request for small short scenarios with good PO play

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> a request for small short scenarios with good PO play Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
a request for small short scenarios with good PO play - 11/20/2017 3:53:49 PM   
winkr7

I see lots of giant 100+turn scenarios for PBEM but few small ones with good AI play.
If anyone cares-- I would like to see good AI in short games, with multiple variations in the AI so it can be played more than once.

thanks lots
winkr7
Post #: 1
RE: a request for small short scenarios with good PO play - 11/21/2017 7:37:51 PM   
KGrob

I fully second this. My own preference is something that a human can play against the PO in about 20-25 turns. I enjoy the hypothetical situations with variations to improve replay-ability. (Don't get me wrong, I like an occasional longer game and I don't mind playing a historical scenario if it is interesting.)

(in reply to winkr7)
Post #: 2
RE: a request for small short scenarios with good PO play - 11/21/2017 7:53:20 PM   
KGrob

quote:

ORIGINAL: larrybush

Yep, it would be nice, I was playing around with a Battle of the Aksay river scenario (relief of Stalingrad). It's about 20 by 20 hexes map wise. Small unit density and just a few days long. Quite impossible to win as Germans without the 6th panzer div. but historic.

But I got off on a tangent and renewed my interest in the Guadalcanal campaign.. So that's where I'm at now.

You know the Editor is not all that hard to use, especially for a small scenario.

You're right about the Editor. But the drawback there is that, if I mod the game myself, I pretty much know what is coming and how to game it. I want something that is fresh and original.
Post #: 3
RE: a request for small short scenarios with good PO play - 11/28/2017 7:59:31 PM   
VHauser

quote:

ORIGINAL: winkr7

I see lots of giant 100+turn scenarios for PBEM but few small ones with good AI play.
If anyone cares-- I would like to see good AI in short games, with multiple variations in the AI so it can be played more than once.

thanks lots
winkr7

Years ago I remember a fun Poland 1939 scenario (8-10 turns). I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of such scenarios in the archive. Admittedly, it will take time to work your way through the archive to find scenarios that meet your criteria, but I bet that they exist somewhere.

Member since May 2000 (as VictorHauser)

(in reply to winkr7)
Post #: 4
RE: a request for small short scenarios with good PO play - 11/28/2017 9:27:38 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: You're right about the Editor. But the drawback there is that, if I mod the game myself, I pretty much know what is coming and how to game it. I want something that is fresh and original.

I don’t have TOAW IV, but with TOAW III the event editor was a powerful tool for randomizing. Using events you could randomize formations deployed, locations, objectives, objective tracks, which side moves first and maybe even which side plays the PO. Could also make it a PO or Cheyenne game.

To randomize using events, you need to build an event tree with lots of branches and lots of initial starting positions and lots of formations. I always kept the Theater Recon at 0% so that the opposing force disposition was an unknown.

Start small. Build a scenario with only a few branches. Experiment then move on to what you really want in a scenario.

This design concept is best used with non-historical military problem scenarios. However, within reason, it could be used to apply some “what if” flavor to historical scenarios.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to KGrob)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> a request for small short scenarios with good PO play Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI