Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Which operating system do you guys use?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Which operating system do you guys use? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 5/20/2017 5:45:42 PM   
AbwehrX

WinXP on this desktop and Win7 on my laptop. Trying to get 1 other desktop to work with Win7 on it. I would like to have a Linux machine with Wine if it runs Vassalengine.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 31
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 5/21/2017 1:23:57 AM   
Richie61

Win 7 64 bit Pro

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to AbwehrX)
Post #: 32
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 5/22/2017 7:21:34 AM   
Neorod

Thanks for all the responses guys. It's very interesting how a vast a majority of people are with Windows 10 64 Bit. I'm actually using it as well, however I'm considering switching to linux for a bit after having been reading some articles about it. It is quite flexible and can be quite quicker and more secure. However it requires some more technical knowledge to operate. Does anybody have experience with this?

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 33
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 5/22/2017 10:47:41 AM   
berto

25+ years experience. I began using Linux c. 1992. Truly, for me, both professionally and personally, Linux is one of the best things ever.

Linux has many, many virtues. Among them, it runs acceptably fast on older hardware. And yes, it is generally more secure.

Unless you plan to get another system, or will be dual booting your machine, as a gamer I wouldn't commit totally to Linux, though. Under Linux Wine, I can play the games that really matter to me -- Campaign Series, all JTS games (including Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles, etc.), TOAW, Schwerpunkt Middle East -- all of them play fine on Linux. (Lock'n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad also plays well on Linux.) Most other war games I have tried are no-goes. Not to say my list exhausts the Linux Wine possibilities. But among the other games in my collection, most all of them choke in one way or another on Linux. So beware.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Neorod)
Post #: 34
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 5/22/2017 11:11:15 AM   
fritzfarlig

windows 10

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 35
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 11/21/2017 9:41:32 PM   
rpwood

Berto

I am making the switch to Ubuntu and need to know how to get my JTCS, CSME, and Order of Battle games to work without Windows. All the games are win versions and I am running Ubuntu 16.04. Help! going through withdrawal.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 36
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 11/21/2017 10:14:31 PM   
berto

Install Wine. Then install your games to run under Linux Wine. Sorry I can't handhold you through the process. There should be all sorts of HOW-TOs, maybe even videos, available on the Internet on how to install Wine on Ubuntu, then do installs in Wine. Just Google it.

JTCS & CSME should work fine under Linux Wine; at least they do for me. I wouldn't expect Order of Battle to work, however. Although I own the game, from the looks of it (flashier graphics), I expect it wouldn't work well on Wine.

(TOAW III worked for me on Wine in the past. I don't know yet about the new TOAW IV.)

Good luck.

Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to rpwood)
Post #: 37
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 11/22/2017 12:33:04 AM   
Rosseau

Win 10 64 bit - for games, especially new stuff on Steam, Win 10 guarantees compatibility. I cannot imagine the hassle of using another OS.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 38
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 11/22/2017 1:54:23 AM   
berto

TOAW IV crashes and burns on my Linux Wine setup. Just FYI.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 39
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 11/22/2017 2:34:52 AM   
Rosseau

Berto, do you use Linux/Wine to aid in CSME development vs Windows?

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 40
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 11/22/2017 2:55:39 AM   
berto

Yes, like many Windows developers, I make extensive use of Linux, and its Windows hosted cousin Cygwin, in developing the Campaign Series etc. I spend far more time at the Cygwin/Linux command line (with typically ten or more Cygwin terminals open simultaneously), and writing code in the Emacs editor, than I do in the Microsoft Visual Studio IDE.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 41
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 11/22/2017 4:31:28 AM   
zakblood

Win 10 64 bit on all 8 pc's and laptops owned, and android on a few tablets of different makes and types

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 42
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 11/22/2017 5:13:34 AM   
aaatoysandmore

My gaming system is still Vista64; my personal computer is Win7 but I have 8 just never used it. I practically refuse to goto Win10 until I have to and maybe not even then. No game is worth the intrusion of Win10 and forced updates of things I might not want on my computer.

I'm finding games that don't even list Vista64 actually still work on Vista64. Basically all Win7 games and most of the ones above except for some that require certain dx components like Warhammer Total War. I pretty much gave up on Creative Assembly and the Total War series after Rome II anyways.

Field of Glory 2 works great on Vista 64. It also looks to be my series and game of choice for awhile until Norb decides to make a strategy overlay for his wonderful combat engine.

I'll decide based on Matrixgames/Slitherine releases if/when I upgrade. Most other games don't impress me much because the AI's are just not what they used to be.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 43
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 11/22/2017 6:44:54 AM   
aldrend

Another windows 7 64bit user here.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 44
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 11/22/2017 7:49:49 AM   
zakblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

My gaming system is still Vista64; my personal computer is Win7 but I have 8 just never used it. I practically refuse to goto Win10 until I have to and maybe not even then. No game is worth the intrusion of Win10 and forced updates of things I might not want on my computer.

I'm finding games that don't even list Vista64 actually still work on Vista64. Basically all Win7 games and most of the ones above except for some that require certain dx components like Warhammer Total War. I pretty much gave up on Creative Assembly and the Total War series after Rome II anyways.

Field of Glory 2 works great on Vista 64. It also looks to be my series and game of choice for awhile until Norb decides to make a strategy overlay for his wonderful combat engine.

I'll decide based on Matrixgames/Slitherine releases if/when I upgrade. Most other games don't impress me much because the AI's are just not what they used to be.

regarding the
quote:

No game is worth the intrusion of Win10 and forced updates of things I might not want on my computer.
part

for me it's a gaming platform and as long as the update fixes issues and or doesn't break anything else, to me it's so far been the best gaming platform released, and i'm a ex dos user who still at times uses DOS, it's saying something, as so far i've had and used every windows system that's been out, and each at the time for me got better, yes some where a step sideways when you look back, but each in it's own way added to the enjoyment of what games were out at the time, so fond memories and as a techy support and did it for a living once many many years ago now, each newer version has lessened the amount of effort for the basic user imo, with windows 10 being one of the easiest and quickest to image and reinstall and back, and recover from errors from made to date.

while some hate it, others love it, for me, it's more about hardware and driver issues than pure O/S ones and the amount of older apps and games you put on, for me, i'd not use anything else atm, so each new build number and version that comes out, gets a fresh install for me, and so far, not has many issues at all, compared to what i've had in the past with others

so without going in the fast track or pre beta version, this is the latest released version of windows 10

Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 45
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 11/22/2017 9:41:24 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

quote:

regarding the
quote:

No game is worth the intrusion of Win10 and forced updates of things I might not want on my computer.
part

for me it's a gaming platform and as long as the update fixes issues and or doesn't break anything else, to me it's so far been the best gaming platform released, and i'm a ex dos user who still at times uses DOS, it's saying something, as so far i've had and used every windows system that's been out, and each at the time for me got better, yes some where a step sideways when you look back, but each in it's own way added to the enjoyment of what games were out at the time, so fond memories and as a techy support and did it for a living once many many years ago now, each newer version has lessened the amount of effort for the basic user imo, with windows 10 being one of the easiest and quickest to image and reinstall and back, and recover from errors from made to date.

while some hate it, others love it, for me, it's more about hardware and driver issues than pure O/S ones and the amount of older apps and games you put on, for me, i'd not use anything else atm, so each new build number and version that comes out, gets a fresh install for me, and so far, not has many issues at all, compared to what i've had in the past with others

so without going in the fast track or pre beta version, this is the latest released version of windows 10

Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)

This. Except I went from Win 7 to 10. And I still have every one from 95 to 7. Vista I gave away

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 46
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 11/22/2017 10:12:30 AM   
JosephM

quote:

Just as an FYI, the issue is that they are not tested on Windows Vista so we, and likely other companies, cannot say that they work or do not as they've not been tested, as Vista is no longer supported by Microsoft. Certainly it is inadvisable for an average user to still be using discontinued Operating Systems.

But if you look at the NT version numbers of Windows they are all incremental from Windows Vista anyway. Vista was the last major revision of the OS, and while Windows 10 shows as NT version 10.0 I think this was more done for consistency as I think when it was first discussed it was NT 6.4/6.5, so while things are no longer tested on Vista most things might run provided the hardware and drivers are supported in that. Same with Win 95 and how most things worked on 98 and 2000 without any issues because fundamentally the OS was similar enough to not need core rewrites, but then XP changed the base and it did break a lot of things which ran from Win 95 and on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Windows_versions#cite_note-1

Over time it is likely hardware and driver changes, which will not support Vista, that will make games not work, rather than the OS itself, as honestly the changes in 7, 8 and 10 are largely superficial rather than core changes to the OS which affect programs.

< Message edited by JosephM -- 11/22/2017 10:13:13 AM >

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 47
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 11/22/2017 10:46:15 AM   
Otto von Blotto

quote:

ORIGINAL: rpwood

Berto

I am making the switch to Ubuntu and need to know how to get my JTCS, CSME, and Order of Battle games to work without Windows. All the games are win versions and I am running Ubuntu 16.04. Help! going through withdrawal.

I'm not certain about JTCS, I've never got V.2 to work with my linux Mint machine V.1 plays just fine but since the V.2 roll out I've never gotten it to work and when I asked about it last year neither had anyone else. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4098144

"Personal isn't the same as important"

(in reply to rpwood)
Post #: 48
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 11/22/2017 10:55:30 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Last I saw there were still a substantial amount of users still using Windows XP. It was quite a large number still after the release of Win10. I think many people are just tired of the money grab by microsoft coming out with a new OS every so many years. How many is this now since 95 version?

I'm just of the ilk that if it works I see no reason to upgrade. If the game I want (and as i said it's my gaming computer) works then I also see no reason to upgrade. Hopefully by the time I have to upgrade Win10 will be a lot cheaper and less intrusive and more desirable. I've never been one to follow the pied piper or get something just because it was new. I lived that way buying cars as well through my life and saved thousands of dollars.

I'm still using a 5770HD graphics card from 9 years ago now and it also works just fine for the games I purchase to include Rome II which is a graphics hog so they say.

As far as support; over the years of my gaming days from 1995 I've only needed support "once" for one game from Matrix (Advanced Tactics) the rest I always figured out myself what needed to be done or changed and it was usually just optimizations or turning off a few programs in task manager. Rare is the game I've bought that i couldn't get to work at all until recently and then only because of dx issues above and beyond my means. I know the day is coming when all games will require something I won't or don't have on Vista. Namely drivers. But, until then I will stick with Vista till nothing works anymore.

Oh and you know how Microsoft said they no longer would support Vista? Well I just got a lengthy update a few days ago for security issues.

What makes it nice to stay this way is STEAM refund policy so I can still see if a game works and runs and if it doesn't I can still get my money back. So nothing lost but some download time and I've got plenty of time on my hands now.

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 11/22/2017 10:56:58 AM >

(in reply to JosephM)
Post #: 49
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 12/5/2017 4:26:49 AM   
Laskaris

For most tasks, I still use Windows 7. I sometimes use a virtual machine with a Ubuntu Linux system for certain scientific programs, and in many areas I find it a much more appealing OS than Windows. I plan on using a dual boot system in my next PC with the then-latest Windows and Ubuntu.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 50
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 12/5/2017 7:08:34 AM   
Noypi53

Daily driver is Mac OS X on a 2010 MacPro. Also installed on the machine is Parallels VM software with Win7 64bit as my gaming OS for games only on Windows. Also experimenting with Win10 64bit also in Parallels. Have Boot Camp also installed on the machine but find that current version of Parallels runs games fine for my use.

(in reply to Laskaris)
Post #: 51
RE: Which operating system do you guys use? - 12/5/2017 7:42:59 AM   
altipueri

4 XP laptops
1 Win 7 laptop
5 Win 8.1 laptops
2 Win 8.1 desktops
2 Win 10 laptops
1 Linux laptop - Dell with Ubuntu pre-installed - I tried but I'm too dim to use Linux.

10 phones and about 6 tablets

PC World and Amazon have loved me over the years.

Most of my life is spent watching and waiting for things to update, virus check etc.

(in reply to Noypi53)
Post #: 52
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Which operating system do you guys use? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI