Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep your LOC/LOS open...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep your LOC/LOS open... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep your L... - 11/27/2017 12:15:21 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Welcome to the next Tutorial! This one will hopefully give you some insights about the importance of supply, how it works, and how to maintain and keep your (L)ine (O)f (C)ommunication as well as (L)ine (O)f (S)upply open and/or intact. I decided this time to supplement it with extracts from the manual in the Tutorial '42 document; for easy accessible reference and less clutter of text snippets within the slides.

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Oberst_Klink -- 11/27/2017 12:46:49 PM >

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Post #: 1
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 1:14:56 PM   
Oberst_Klink

OK. The 2nd slide. I will post the scenario and relevant files later on after the 1st few sets of slides, OK?

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Oberst_Klink -- 11/27/2017 1:16:49 PM >

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 2
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 1:37:13 PM   
Oberst_Klink

A few more insights into the supply net etc...

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 3
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 2:04:41 PM   
Oberst_Klink

The latest situation on the repair front...

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 4
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 4:15:05 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Bad, bad... mud and more...

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 5
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 4:35:39 PM   
Oberst_Klink

OK, another one. And, yes... I will dump the link for the Tutorial '42 scenario soon.

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 6
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 4:41:15 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Something ain't right...

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 7
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 4:49:12 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Never neglect and look down on logistics and repair crews ever, ever, ever, again...

They are crucial!!!

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Oberst_Klink -- 11/27/2017 4:53:33 PM >

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 8
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 5:08:59 PM   
Oberst_Klink

I am losing my mind... :( Elmer is a real pain in the butt sometimes...

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 9
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 5:19:48 PM   
Oberst_Klink

When you think it's bad, it only gets worse. ;(

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 10
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 5:26:04 PM   
Oberst_Klink

I failed... :(( How can I EVER face 11.Pz.Div now? Not getting the supplies, not even the Feldpost (army mail from their beloved ones!)... because I simply FAILED to do a BORING job in TOAW IV to keep the LOS open....

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 11
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 5:34:13 PM   
Oberst_Klink

OK peeps, you know the drill - The Tutorial '42 goes into... right, the \Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Graphics Override folder. The other bits you dump into the... Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Scenarios\TUTORIALS
folder!

Klink, Oberst

P.S. I do CRAVE for feedback +/- I don't give a fiddler's... you know ;)

< Message edited by Oberst_Klink -- 11/27/2017 5:35:25 PM >

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 12
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 5:36:28 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Forgot... to edit Pol.Res.Kp.3 NOT to reconstitute... gimme a few minutes...

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Oberst_Klink -- 11/27/2017 5:45:17 PM >

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 13
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 5:45:52 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Done! See above. Well... have fun with 'boring' keeping the LOS/LOC open!

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 14
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 5:53:11 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Again... do forgive me about the poxy typos... :( Not very professional, I do admit.
Apart from that... I do require feedback and suggestions about what to cover next. Danke!

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 15
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 5:55:57 PM   
FaneFlugt

Post #: 16
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 6:00:36 PM   
jjdenver

I've got 2 sort of general questions and this seems to be a learner thread so I hope you don't mind if I post them here. 1 is inspired by your mention of tactical reserve to get your arty to support your troops early in your walkthrough.

1) If I want my arty to just generally support whatever is in range - how should I set the unit up? What posture and is there any other setting I need other than to be in range of a battle for the arty to provide support? I think I do _not_ need to click on it in battle planner since clicking there is only used if I want it to exclusively support this one battle right?

2) I'm confused about how movement done by units that are _not_ part of any battle affects elapsed time when you choose to execute all planned battles. For example if I have a unit that has moved 1/10 rounds and is doing an attack that maybe is expected to consume 1 round. And I have a 2nd unit that has moved 10/10 rounds (spent all movement points) but hasn't done any attack and is not part of any attack. Then I execute attack. What happens? Will time elapsed for the first unit be 2/10 after the attack is resolved or will it be 10/10 since the 2nd unit has already spent all movement even though it never participated in any combat and is not near any combat? (imagine the 2nd unit is moving from rear areas up toward the line of battle but has not reached it yet despite using all 10/10 alloted rounds moving along roads.

Thanks

(in reply to FaneFlugt)
Post #: 17
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 6:03:52 PM   
Oberst_Klink

I take it you approve. Perhaps I shall create Tutorial '43 with...

Forsvaret af frivillige legion Danmark?

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to FaneFlugt)
Post #: 18
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 6:05:50 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Disclaimer: It is NOT a political statement. FaneFlugt.DK understands ;)

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 19
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 7:04:53 PM   
FaneFlugt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNfR3l0JcVE

why not 9. April. 1940 ?

Post #: 20
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 7:07:28 PM   
Oberst_Klink

For some reason... blocked (censored, thanks to 'Mutti' Merkel?) :/
Oh well, will try it via HK VPN later then...

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to FaneFlugt)
Post #: 21
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 7:35:50 PM   
FaneFlugt

Bundesnachrichtendienst dosent like it ...

Post #: 22
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 7:52:25 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Anyway. Feedback peeps and what's next you wanna see in Tutorial '43?

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to FaneFlugt)
Post #: 23
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 7:54:20 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: jjdenver

I've got 2 sort of general questions and this seems to be a learner thread so I hope you don't mind if I post them here. 1 is inspired by your mention of tactical reserve to get your arty to support your troops early in your walkthrough.

1) If I want my arty to just generally support whatever is in range - how should I set the unit up? What posture and is there any other setting I need other than to be in range of a battle for the arty to provide support? I think I do _not_ need to click on it in battle planner since clicking there is only used if I want it to exclusively support this one battle right?

If the artillery is already in a dug-in condition (Defending, Entrenched, or Fortified), it will support cooperative attackers. If it is in Mobile deployment, it will not support. You can either dig it in (but then it can't move for the rest of the turn) or you can set it to either reserve deployment (Tactical or Local). Tactical Reserve is better since ranged units don't do tactical reserve movement - but do do local reserve movement. So, Tactical Reserve is best if the unit is not already dug-in.

quote:

2) I'm confused about how movement done by units that are _not_ part of any battle affects elapsed time when you choose to execute all planned battles. For example if I have a unit that has moved 1/10 rounds and is doing an attack that maybe is expected to consume 1 round. And I have a 2nd unit that has moved 10/10 rounds (spent all movement points) but hasn't done any attack and is not part of any attack. Then I execute attack. What happens? Will time elapsed for the first unit be 2/10 after the attack is resolved or will it be 10/10 since the 2nd unit has already spent all movement even though it never participated in any combat and is not near any combat? (imagine the 2nd unit is moving from rear areas up toward the line of battle but has not reached it yet despite using all 10/10 alloted rounds moving along roads.

Units that are not part of any combat will not affect the round adjustment. So, move them as far as you like. Note, however, that if you move them adjacent to a combat they can affect that combat's duration if the defenders are denied a retreat path. (They will be considered to be blocking the retreat path). So, be careful in that regard.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 24
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 7:57:02 PM   
alpenmonster

I have a question with regard to supply:

The manual says:

Each Force has a Supply Stockpile Level. This
Level generally remains constant, but can vary in
some Scenarios. It represents supplies available for
distribution to units through Formation Supply
systems.

How does this force stockpile relate to the location supply? Is the force stockpile a kind of minimum level and the location supply an addon? As far as I understand it: Under best conditions the unit receives the location supply * FSDE (Force Supply Distribution efficency)...how does the force stockpile into play?...

(in reply to FaneFlugt)
Post #: 25
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/27/2017 8:10:09 PM   
Splatsch

I discover your tutorials, thank you very much for them, they'll be very useful and help a lot to get into the game

(in reply to FaneFlugt)
Post #: 26
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/28/2017 12:00:18 AM   
Rosseau

Excellent. I had forgotten about that splitting of units option!

Unless I hear otherwise, I will assume that any combat unit is capable of handling anti-partisan/guerilla operations.; i.e., SEC or POLICE forces don't have an under-the-hood advantage, and they are not always available.

(in reply to Splatsch)
Post #: 27
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/28/2017 1:18:46 AM   
JPJ

Thanks for these slides!
Very insightful to see how other players do some things.

< Message edited by JPJ -- 11/28/2017 4:29:28 AM >

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 28
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/28/2017 8:11:50 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: alpenmonster

I have a question with regard to supply:

The manual says:

Each Force has a Supply Stockpile Level. This
Level generally remains constant, but can vary in
some Scenarios. It represents supplies available for
distribution to units through Formation Supply
systems.

How does this force stockpile relate to the location supply? Is the force stockpile a kind of minimum level and the location supply an addon? As far as I understand it: Under best conditions the unit receives the location supply * FSDE (Force Supply Distribution efficency)...how does the force stockpile into play?...

The Force Supply Stockpile Level is the supply level that's available right at a supply point, or on any unbroken rail line linked to a supply point. However, this value can be increased by transport asset sharing, and reduced by enemy interdiction. The combination of all of that determines the net effective supply level at the supply point. From there, the supply must be traced to the units, and the further away they are the less they get. Players can increase their transport asset sharing by not using their lift capacities and not moving heavily motorized units. Players can reduce the enemy's interdiction level via combat success in air operations.

From that point, the amount of supply a unit receives is that value for the hex the unit is located in (x 1.5 if High Supply is in effect) x Formation Supply Distribution Efficiency x 2/3 (x 2/3 if moved) (x 2/3 if night) (x 1.5 if next to/stacked with a cooperative HQ) (x 1.5 if next to/stacked with a cooperative SU).

I have got an old Supply calculator, but for 3.4; units resupply more efficient now in TOAW 4. *Update* Steve's Supply Calculator (for 3.4 though); but this piece of work should explain how it works under the hood.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l828smennf4txpa/TOAW%20supply%20calculator.xls?dl=0

Klink, Oberst

< Message edited by Oberst_Klink -- 11/28/2017 12:44:12 PM >

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to alpenmonster)
Post #: 29
RE: Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep yo... - 11/28/2017 8:44:12 AM   
alpenmonster

Thank you, Herr Oberst ..and once again: many thanks for your commitment!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Tutorial '42 - Supply, Logistics and how to keep your LOC/LOS open... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI