Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Buy WITE on sale or wait

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Buy WITE on sale or wait Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Buy WITE on sale or wait - 11/25/2017 11:08:28 PM   
downtown

With the Holiday sale underway, I was wondering if I should pick up WITE now or wait until WITE2 is released. Also I just bought TOAW IV and I am getting into that as time allows. Is WITE worth owning even if I don't play the campaigns? I only see myself playing the "small" scenarios (if there are any). It will be a couple of years at least until I retire and have more time to play.

Old soldiers never die. They just fade away.
Post #: 1
RE: Buy WITE on sale or wait - 11/26/2017 4:42:00 AM   
Psych0

If you play it, it's worth the full price. If you play it later, then wait for WITE2 I'd say.

What's TOAW4 like? Heard good things about it.

(in reply to downtown)
Post #: 2
RE: Buy WITE on sale or wait - 11/26/2017 2:49:01 PM   
Commanderski

WITE 2.0 is still about a year or so away. It would be worth it to get WITE now at the sale price. You should also look at WITW as the air war and supply system used in that will be used in WITE 2.0 and that is an improvement over WITE.

(in reply to Psych0)
Post #: 3
RE: Buy WITE on sale or wait - 11/26/2017 4:34:02 PM   
Balou

Why buying WitE despite WitE 2.0 beeing much more similar - from my understanding - to WitW ?

“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher

(in reply to Commanderski)
Post #: 4
RE: Buy WITE on sale or wait - 11/26/2017 4:39:07 PM   
morvael

So you would have something to do for many months to come? There is still no official release date for WitE2.

Best of both worlds is to get into WitE2 beta team

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 5
RE: Buy WITE on sale or wait - 11/26/2017 5:03:00 PM   
Balou

To me it seems "WitW-training" makes more sense if one wants to get ready for WitE 2.0

“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 6
RE: Buy WITE on sale or wait - 11/26/2017 6:29:06 PM   
downtown

Thanks, guys. I have WITW so I guess my best bet is to pick it back up again and save my cash for WITE2. I am also getting into TOAW IV so I have plenty to keep me busy.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 7
RE: Buy WITE on sale or wait - 11/27/2017 2:04:26 AM   
topeverest

WITE is an outstanding simulation. Utility per game dollar spent is off the charts. This game is worth every penny and then some.

But kiss our life goodbye!

Andy M

(in reply to downtown)
Post #: 8
RE: Buy WITE on sale or wait - 11/27/2017 3:08:46 AM   
56ajax

quote:

ORIGINAL: topeverest

WITE is an outstanding simulation. Utility per game dollar spent is off the charts. This game is worth every penny and then some.

But kiss our life goodbye!

Agree 110%

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 9
RE: Buy WITE on sale or wait - 11/27/2017 7:27:56 AM   
Denniss

In WitP you'll need two lives to play grand campaign to the end for both sides .....

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 10
RE: Buy WITE on sale or wait - 11/27/2017 7:39:56 PM   
Twigster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balou

Why buying WitE despite WitE 2.0 beeing much more similar - from my understanding - to WitW ?

quote:

Well, because... WitE is an historical conflict simulation (with apologies to those who would say 'simulation' is an incorrect word to use). I have read a lot about Barbarossa and the Eastern Front in WW II and playing WitE certainly aids in an understanding of just how titanic a conflict the German-Soviet war actually was. As an American, it is my honest view that the "Eastern Front" is horribly, terribly under-appreciated.

On a personal note, I was simply appalled when some Western personages failed to show at the annual Russian Victory Day parade in Moscow, as has been customary to do for decades! That was seriously neither cool nor called for, IMO.

What I mean to say is that getting WitE now will cut down on some learning curve nearly as much as familiarizing with the WitW mechanics. Unless you are already well-versed on the Eastern Front.

< Message edited by Twigster -- 11/27/2017 7:48:06 PM >

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 11
RE: Buy WITE on sale or wait - 11/27/2017 9:52:12 PM   
downtown

Ok..now you have me teetering back and forth....what's a guy to do? I suppose if I get the game I should also get the 2 expansions as well...they are half price too!

(in reply to Twigster)
Post #: 12
RE: Buy WITE on sale or wait - 11/27/2017 10:58:51 PM   
Joel Billings

If you plan on playing just the non-campaign scenarios, then yes, you'll want to get the expansions. In the expansions you've got a lot of small and medium scenarios. Drama on the Danube is one of my all time favorite scenarios (covers the Romanian surrender and Soviet drive through Hungary).

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to downtown)
Post #: 13
RE: Buy WITE on sale or wait - 11/27/2017 11:36:14 PM   
tyronec

In my opinion WITE is the best strategic WW2 game I have ever played my some margin.

Yes, WITW has a better air war, and a better logistics system. But it is modelling two campaigns, neither of which has the depth of WITE. The strategic bombing campaign works well but to me it is just not that exciting, playing to gain VPs instead of territory. The ground campaign is mostly fought on a restricted front, interesting in itself but there are not that many strategic decisions to make and much of the time the progress is quite linear. Personally I would put it technically above but enjoyment level similar to the best of other games I have played.

With WITE there is a wide range of strategic choices for both players and so a huge variation in how it plays out every game. In the campaign both sides have two periods to attack and two to defend (summer '41; blizzard; summer '42...; later game). At the tactical level the game is great fun to play, there is space for sweeping moves and the same sort of intricacy of combat that WITW has.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 14
RE: Buy WITE on sale or wait - 11/28/2017 2:15:40 AM   
tomeck48

"With WITE there is a wide range of strategic choices for both players and so a huge variation in how it plays out every game. In the campaign both sides have two periods to attack and two to defend (summer '41; blizzard; summer '42...; later game). At the tactical level the game is great fun to play, there is space for sweeping moves and the same sort of intricacy of combat that WITW has."

Well stated. I'm old enough to say that I was one of the original buyers of Simulation Publications War In The East back in the 1970s. Loved that game. But the current WITE is so far beyond that you can't really make a comparison.

Still a newbie here. Did one 42 campaign as the Axis that we ended in '44 when I lost the entire Romanian Army because I neglected to occupy Bucharest. Currently in a 41 Campaign game (Nov '42) and have learned a lot. Enjoying it immensely.

I would say get WITE now and start learning. It will take less time to ramp up when WITE 2 comes out.

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Buy WITE on sale or wait Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI