Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Patch for Synchronicity Bug?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Patch for Synchronicity Bug? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Patch for Synchronicity Bug? - 10/13/2017 7:07:24 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

This is true not only for programmers, but techs as well. The worst intermittent problem I remember from my career took a year and a half before someone finally resolved it. The man hours had to run in the hundreds if not a thousand or more.

I had one on my current project that took about three years of looking at it off and on before I put it to rest. It was bug #0001 in the bug tracking system we set up.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 31
RE: Patch for Synchronicity Bug? - 11/28/2017 6:04:26 AM   
el lobo

Having my PBEM game just hit by a Sync Bug, I want to confirm what I think I understand from this and these excellent threads.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4295554

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4207479

From what I understand, sync bugs affect the Allied combatreport.txt and the Allied replay, only.

Do they effect the in-game play mechanics? IE, do they affect the in-game turns themselves?

TIA.

El Lobo (J) vs Rio Bravo (A)
Rio Bravo's AAR - "The War College"
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3851786

Gamey is not a game style. It is someone's definition.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 32
RE: Patch for Synchronicity Bug? - 11/28/2017 8:43:26 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: el lobo

Having my PBEM game just hit by a Sync Bug, I want to confirm what I think I understand from this and these excellent threads.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4295554

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4207479

From what I understand, sync bugs affect the Allied combatreport.txt and the Allied replay, only.

Do they effect the in-game play mechanics? IE, do they affect the in-game turns themselves?

TIA.

You're asking if they "change" the outcome of a turn when they occur?

No. The "correct" turn resolution is in the Japanese replay and combat report.

The sync bug simply offers the Allies another version of what happened i their replay.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to el lobo)
Post #: 33
RE: Patch for Synchronicity Bug? - 11/28/2017 10:35:31 AM   
Yakface

Posting something I posted in El Lobo's AAR, because Japan's resolution is not necessarily correct:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Read this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4355560&mpage=1&key=synch�

There are several other threads on the sync bug issue.

The short end is:

1.  What Japan sees is always 100% correct.

2.  The combatreport.txt which the Japanese player should send to his opponent is always 100% correct.

3.  The incorrect info is seen only by the Allied player when he sees the combat resolution phase movie and the subsequent combatreport.txt file which is generated from the movie.

4.  The "bug" does not carry over to the next turn. It is the info generated by the Japanese combat resolution phase movie which is carried over to the next turn.

5.  The most common condition which will result in a sync bug is if both players are not using the exact same game version or there is some other discrepancy between the two installations.

6.  It is possible (but extremely rare) for consecutive turns to exhibit sync bugs but the cause of the succeeding synch bug appearance will be different from the cause of the preceding sync bug.

Bottom line is that the sync bug can be a cause of frustration for the Allied player (although sometimes he can get some valuable intel which otherwise would not have been available) but is never in itself a ground for surrender.  If an Allied player loses a carrier battle it is not due to the sync bug but to a combination of both his and his opponent's actions.  The lost carrier battle would have resulted even if there had been no sync bug.

Alfred

I'm with Alfred on most of the above, there is a big 'however' though..........

I know of multiple ways, playing as Japan, to force the game to produce different outcomes of a turn. Bottom line is: the Japanese player (if he was a low down cheating rat and so chooses) has the control to effectively run and rerun the file sent by the Allied player until he is happy with the outcome.

In addition to this intentional desync manufacturing, very rarely the bug happens with no apparent cause and throws out (at Japans end) an anomalous result.

Given both of the above, Alfred's point 1 list doesn't really cover the situation. It would be better put as: what Japan sees is what is represented in the game file that he uses as the basis for the next turn.

The anomalous results, however they occurred, become the basis for the next turn (because whatever Japan sees is reflected in the subsequent game file), but neither the accidental nor intentional sync bug turn files should be considered 'correct'.

The solution: I run two installs of the game on separate machines which I patch to what ever version I am playing. If as the allies I see a replay that results in a different combatreport.txt than the one sent to me by Japan, then I rerun it on my other machine.

If the two turns on my machines produce different movies and report files (and particularly if the replay I run on my second machine matches the Japanese combat report) then the anomaly was at my end and can basically be ignored.

If they are the same, then it is an statistical certainty that the results that Japan has seen and that have been used as the starting point for issuing Japan's orders for the next turn, are the anomalous ones. I just ask him to rerun the turn. It has happened once in my current game (Now in Sept 1942) and a rerun by Japan brought it back in line with what I had seen.

< Message edited by Yakface -- 11/28/2017 10:37:13 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Patch for Synchronicity Bug? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI