Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

East Front not allowing battles to complete

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support >> East Front not allowing battles to complete Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
East Front not allowing battles to complete - 11/30/2017 5:31:20 PM   
abrjewp

Hello,

I need your help and am facing similar problems to what Darino had in post 70 in the campaign problems thread and am hoping to be able to finally complete East Front South!!

The difference between Darino and I is that I have the problem for the Russians around the 550K point mark (late July early Aug '42), then the 1.1M mark, and now the 1.2M (3/2/43). My problem is that after I pass 550K in points, the game does not complete the mission after the general's speech. After the general's sprrch, I either get a run time error or the games closes such that I am at the initial East Front West Front Rising Sun selection screen. When I resume the campaign I get a resume mission screen and the process repeats. I first had this problem since Dec 2015. I have experienced it for five different Russian commanders for tank corps B/D or B. Product support was unable to find the solution so I am appealing to the forum as my last resort, I am hoping just like Darino to be finally able to complete the campaign.

After the first two commander failures, I began saving the commander files at key times like just before the 550K mark or with my latest commander saving the last turn's commander's files and the commander's files after the battle completes so that I can reload them when I encounter an error. I have had this problem for different versions and have all of the updates.

For my latest commander at the 550K mark I was finally able to get past this point by interrupting the close sequence by clicking help when I receive the score screen and making many repeat attempts to close. I would delete the old commander files and reload the saved commander files for each attempt. I experienced a couple of repeated problems from 550K to 1.1M, but was able to easily resolve them though the help screen reload process. When I went past 1.1M, I found it particularly hard to get past this point and must of have tried literally 50-60 times using the help reload method above without success. I then when to explorer, sorted by date modify on East Front and saw the related campaign, frontend, engine and AI files that were associated with each battle. So I went back to the battle before going over 1.1M played it and save all of the files associated with the battle and then went through the help and reload process and was able to go past that point. Now, I have hit a brick wall when I get to 1.207M or 1.209M at the beginning of March '43. None of my work-arounds work.

There is also no pattern in terms of the file order when it does not work. For example, at the of battle/scenario and score screens the order of the files are always: engine, noautorun, frontend, ai, commander's name.cpn (e.g., Belkin.cpn) .... After the general's name, for the run time error, they were one time ai, Belkin.cpn, engine, frontend and for another time they were engine, frontend, ai, Belkin.cpn. Likewise, when the game just closed without the runtime error the files could be frontend, engine ai, Belkin.cpn or frontend, ai, Belkin.cpn, engine.

Again, I either receive terminate in an unusual way or the program closes and goes back to the start up screen. Again, I am at the corps level (13th Tank Corps - B). My infantry has been upgraded to guards '42, my artillery is all 76mm: 2-four gun batteries and 5-2 gun sections, and my armor is all T34's'41 model organized in either 11 or 12-tank companies.

So, any thoughts on what to do for any stage from just over the 500K mark to the 1.2M mark. Again, I am only at March 2, 1943 and still have over two years that I would like to complete.

THANKS in advance for your help!!

Norm
Post #: 1
RE: East Front not allowing battles to complete - 12/25/2017 10:02:50 PM   
Vichyssoise

Hi,

I don't know if you've managed to solve your issue. I'm not an experienced modder, but I used to delve into a few things nearly a decade ago. I'm not sure whether it will help, however the following might send you in the right direction.

Regarding your problems, I see two possible explanations.

Depending on the OoB you chose at the start of your campaign (basically Talonsoft or Matrix [MCS]) you may have encountered a known legacy bug (as in, present in the game since the Talonsoft days) that affected the Talonsoft OoB. I believe that the MCS OoB was meant to have fixed the problem. If you chose the Talonsoft OoB, short of PMing the developers (for instance, Jason Petho) to ask if they can take a look at it, I think you can kiss your campaign goodbye.

You may also try to edit the points total ie. experience of your character (in the character.ccd & ccx file) with an editor like Notepad++ (free and available anywhere on the internet) as it seems to be the cause of the issue.
You should find that info on the 4th line (6th number out of 7), above the list of all the battles you've fought so far. If you bring that number down a notch, it might help you advance forward if your issue is somewhat related. Note, that if successful you'll probably have to do it after each subsequent battle.
Look at the campaign.pdt file in your East Front folder for reference, the numbers are displayed on lines 47-55 and again 57-63. If I'm not mistaken, editing these numbers won't help you in the present situation (ie. it would affect only future campaigns), but serve as a guide.
I suggest you read the "Creating and Modifying a DCG" PDF that is stored in the Manuals folder of your game. You will find all the relevant info (and more) on page 11 where the meaning of several datasets is explained.

And before you do anything, remember to BACK UP every file you're going to modify.

That's the extent of my knowledge, but I hope it helps you move forward with this great game I never cease to come back to.

(in reply to abrjewp)
Post #: 2
RE: East Front not allowing battles to complete - 12/30/2017 12:11:00 AM   
abrjewp

Vichyssoise,

Thank you for replying!! I did not understand your first recommendation and did not know that a person can choose the OoB b/w Talon and MCS. I communicated extensively with Jason, but he could not fix it.

I will try the second option to see what happens and report back.

Thanks again,

Norm

(in reply to Vichyssoise)
Post #: 3
RE: East Front not allowing battles to complete - 12/30/2017 2:35:51 AM   
abrjewp

Vichyssoise,

I tried the second suggestion, but it did not work either.

Do you know what the numbers on the 5th line are for? The third group is the latest date for the campaign. I tried changing this set and the other numbers, but to no avail.

Do you know if anyone ever finished East Front, Barb. South?

Thanks,

Norm

(in reply to abrjewp)
Post #: 4
RE: East Front not allowing battles to complete - 12/30/2017 12:09:29 PM   
Vichyssoise

Sorry to hear that it didn't work. I've never encountered the issue, but at the same time, I never went as far as you did.

Below are the first 5 lines of a character.ccd/ccx files for an old campaign I started moons ago (see also attached images in the posts below - before & after the edit. I thought it also impacted on the character's rank).

von Stabenrath
B0112621
I. Bataillon (v)
1 16 1 1 1 10045 0
410622 450507 410721 0 2

I bolded the experience points which I thought (if edited) might solve your problem. The numbers below are the start date / end date / current date of the DCG.
What if you try to reset the Exp. Points to 0 or at least a much lower number?
Or try to edit the rank directly (underlined number above - 1 is for captain)?

Regarding the Talonsoft / MCS OoB at the start of the campaign, here's what I was referring to (see capture)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Vichyssoise -- 12/30/2017 12:22:00 PM >

(in reply to abrjewp)
Post #: 5
RE: East Front not allowing battles to complete - 12/30/2017 12:15:16 PM   
Vichyssoise

Before the edit

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: East Front not allowing battles to complete - 12/30/2017 12:16:56 PM   
Vichyssoise

After the edit

By the way, line 8 of the ccd/ccx files allows you to edit the type / number of medals you've received.
Sadly, I don't think this little trick will help you salvage your campaign.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Vichyssoise -- 12/30/2017 12:28:30 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: East Front not allowing battles to complete - 1/3/2018 7:10:25 PM   
abrjewp

Vichyssoise,

I apologize for not answering sooner. I need to check this e-mail address more frequently.

The Russians in East Front do not have a MCS v. Talonsoft indicator. I am questioning whether if the OMB is all talonsoft. I will contact both Jason and customer support.

I lowered the value to just 7K and it still does not work. I also noticed that when this problem initially started was in and around when I received/was suppose to receive th T34 upgrade.

I will let you know what customer support and/or Jason responds.

Thanks again, for your effort.

Norm

Post #: 8
RE: East Front not allowing battles to complete - 1/3/2018 10:13:35 PM   
Vichyssoise

Hi Norm, no worries.

Re-reading your first post, I've only just realized that you're actually playing the Russian side. Which means of course that there is no Talonsoft/Matrix OoB option. Sorry about the confusion, my mistake.

Your game might be gone beyond repairs (I hope to be wrong, given the amount of time you've certainly invested in it), and the problem far exceeds the limits of my knowledge.

Have you tried to start a new Barbarossa South with the same OoB (exactly the same organization), and then copy and paste your character's history (battles, medals, core OoB, etc.) into this new campaign to see if you can salvage something this way? There may be some corrupt data in your current campaign that causes the issue. I honestly don't know if it's possible. I'm merely thinking out loud.

(in reply to abrjewp)
Post #: 9
RE: East Front not allowing battles to complete - 1/4/2018 4:02:40 PM   
Jason Petho

Hmm. I'll review the campaign structure of upgrades for the T-34 and see if there is a hiccup there somewhere.

Post #: 10
RE: East Front not allowing battles to complete - 1/10/2018 6:54:14 PM   
abrjewp

Jason,

Thank you. Support told me to raise the following at the forum because it could not answer it. Whereas for the Germans in the Barb campaigns have either a MCS or a talsonsoft OoB, the Russian OoB choices do not. Which one (talonsoft or MCS) is the Russian OoB?

Thanks,

Norm

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 11
RE: East Front not allowing battles to complete - 1/10/2018 7:05:09 PM   
Jason Petho

The Russian OOB's are MCS.

I was checking the T-34 upgrade procedures and they seem good, so the issue isn't in the campaign OOB's that I can tell.

(in reply to abrjewp)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support >> East Front not allowing battles to complete Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI