Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

minor quibbles about minor powers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> minor quibbles about minor powers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
minor quibbles about minor powers - 11/30/2017 9:51:25 PM   
Leadwieght

A couple of oddities have arisen in what are admittedly atypical PBEM games that I'm in.

1. Playing as Allies, I was able to frustrate my Axis opponent's bid to take Algiers until mid-1941. All well and good, but because France had not surrendered by March 1941, I did not get DE104 (the pro-Allied coup in Yugoslavia).
That seems odd. With the war going even better than historically for the Allies, why wouldn't the coup-plotters be willing to take the chance.
To be fair, Yugo did not automatically go over to the Axis either.
My opponent, however was able to use diplo and get it on his side very quickly.
I'm not complaining about that--I neglected to forestall him until it was too late--but I don't understand why France has to be knocked out before the Brits would get a shot at supporting the coup. Game balance?

2. Again playing as Allies, my Axis opponent cleverly invaded Ireland and set it up as a sub and air base that is crippling Britain. I'm totally fine with that being possible as a strategy--wish I'd seen it coming! But what was odd about it was that the German invasion and conquest of Ireland seemingly had NO EFFECT on US mobilization levels.
That seems wrong. There was of course a large Irish-American community, some of whom were traditionally hostile to Great Britain and this is nicely simulated by the Irish Ports DEs in the game. But sure a German takeover of Ireland would have SOME effect on American public opinion?
I'm not looking for a massive swing, but at least some increase in US mobilization equivalent to what happens if the Germans land in Iceland.
Post #: 1
RE: minor quibbles about minor powers - 12/1/2017 8:22:01 AM   
OxfordGuy3

The USA would have been appalled by an Axis invasion of Ireland, this seems most odd

(in reply to Leadwieght)
Post #: 2
RE: minor quibbles about minor powers - 12/2/2017 1:56:07 PM   
BillRunacre

Hi

On Yugoslavia, it being on the verge of joining the Axis is what triggered the pro-Allied coup. If France had still been fighting, would Yugoslavia have been likely to join the Axis at that point? I'm not convinced it would have done.

Bill

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> minor quibbles about minor powers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI