Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario Clarification Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Scenario Clarification Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario Clarification Question - 12/5/2017 12:52:41 PM   
rmp090946

As I continue to move thru the "learning process" of the game, I'm also now looking at the scenarios I can choose to play.

In doing so, I've notice that a great number of scenarios have certain "qualification" statements such as: "PBEM"; "PBEM Only"; "no PO", Version No., etc.

My intention is to play scenarios solo (myself) against a computer opponent.

Questions:
(a) Should (does) the scenario's dialog specifically state that it provides a computer opponent capability?
(b) And, absent any reference to a "PO", should I assume that the scenario WOULD NOT qualify as a SOLO play vs Computer Opponent type scenario?

I'm just trying to learn how best to understand which of the game's scenarios are "OK" for my style of play.

Will appreciate any input / comment.

Bob

Post #: 1
RE: Scenario Clarification Question - 12/5/2017 1:22:59 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: rmp090946

As I continue to move thru the "learning process" of the game, I'm also now looking at the scenarios I can choose to play.

In doing so, I've notice that a great number of scenarios have certain "qualification" statements such as: "PBEM"; "PBEM Only"; "no PO", Version No., etc.

My intention is to play scenarios solo (myself) against a computer opponent.

Questions:
(a) Should (does) the scenario's dialog specifically state that it provides a computer opponent capability?
(b) And, absent any reference to a "PO", should I assume that the scenario WOULD NOT qualify as a SOLO play vs Computer Opponent type scenario?

I'm just trying to learn how best to understand which of the game's scenarios are "OK" for my style of play.

Will appreciate any input / comment.

Bob

Bob

(a) In most cases it's been stated in the scenario briefing or the additional scenario documentation. However, as a rule of thumb: The more complex a scenario and it's scale is, the more likely that it might not be suited for solo-play, despite some real amazing tweaking and making use of the PO system. Having said this, there have been quite some advances being made and implemented in making the AI 'smarter', e.g, especially (my own experience) of the AI's awareness of vulnerable flanks and how to keep its LOS and LOC open.

(b) Even without complex or multiple PO paths and objectives, in smaller scenarios the AI is quite capable of giving you a rough time. I noticed that during playtesting and tweaking my Tutorial '41 scenario; the b*gger surprised me more than once when I thought my Panzer Division is going to make Ćevapčići out of the Yugoslav defenders!

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to rmp090946)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario Clarification Question - 12/5/2017 1:45:35 PM   
rmp090946

Klink, Oberst:

Ok, I appreciate those insights and comments.

As a novice, I fully expect the "AI" to severely punish me anyway.

Thanks,

Bob

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Scenario Clarification Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI