Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Upcoming campaigns?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Upcoming campaigns? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Upcoming campaigns? - 12/3/2017 6:42:44 AM   
Gunnn

Hey, is there any word about upcoming campaigns, if any, in Command? Is there any discussion regarding this? It’s my understanding that the devs don’t have time to create campaigns and scenarios, but on the other hand, a simulator is only ever as realistic as the scenarios you play. A fact much under-appreciated in all simulation communities.
I’d like to request Korea war, Vietnam war, Gulf war, and War on terror (2001-) campaigns (in summary: historical American wars) and that no new game mechanics are added in DLC (its better to give game mechanics to everyone, unless they create a World War campaign with significant game mechanic changes, like CoW, which I think acceptably has new game mehanics because it’s set in the future. But otherwise, not getting all features is a big turn-off for buyers and I’ve seen this myself on Steam), but the feature request thread only appears to be for game mechanics and I don’t this this fits. And the community may already have worked towards this!

So, like, what campaigns would you like to see? And are there any excellent community renditions of the above, with focus on realism?

< Message edited by Gunnn -- 12/3/2017 6:50:35 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Upcoming campaigns? - 12/3/2017 8:47:26 AM   
Project2035

Aside from the ones you get by default, the game AFAIK was not intended to have a ton of scenarios out of the box. The community scenario pack has tons of scenarios with varying degrees of realism and detail though, you can find a link to download it in the thread associated with it. The community is pretty much the main source of scenarios.

I have a Korean War campaign on my scenario making to do list. I haven't made a set in stone plan yet, but it will probably contain all of the major battles of the war and a bonus what if scenario with B-29s using nuclear weapons on the PRC and DPRK. It is something that I won't start for awhile though as it would take alot of research and planning, not to mention there are still some missing units required for the database. I don't know whether anyone else has made those campaigns you mentioned.

As for possible campaigns that I would like to see, I agree a Vietnam campaign would be pretty cool. A sequel or companion to Northern Inferno focusing on the Central Front would also be interesting. A Central Front focused campaign could also tie into a deeper land combat model to make a nice DLC.

(in reply to Gunnn)
Post #: 2
RE: Upcoming campaigns? - 12/3/2017 9:44:47 AM   
Rory Noonan

There is some cool stuff coming up pretty soon.

Unfortunately I can't say much more than that!

(in reply to Project2035)
Post #: 3
RE: Upcoming campaigns? - 12/3/2017 11:51:21 AM   
Gunnn

Yeah, the Command team is really small, but as I wrote above, you can make a sandbox simulator 100% realistic... only to have me ruin it by putting Canadian F-19’s and Soviet F-15’s under control of the Afghanistan Marine Corps, fighting over oil with Tibet in Long Island

My point is, if you create a scenario without adequate research, you can easily end up doing something stupid, like putting a Navy airplane under Army control. Fortunately from what I’ve seen, the DB species country of origin, year and much more. I also think nonsense load-outs (6 AGMs on an A-10? Physically possible, but damages the airplane, so was discontinued) are blocked. But AT LEAST, it would be easy to create nonsense conflicts, in geographically unlikely places or in politically unlikely participants, times and places. Or accidentally setting a tutorial mission right over a shipping lane, instead of a likely naval training area.

I personally intend to create some scenarios, at least for personal use, but before then I feel like I would have to research stuff like realistic SAM placement, Military airport layout and such for even the simplest of training missions. Then again, there are some people who only care about the “game mechanics” of a scenario and how to make it interesting and enjoyable, which is something I know a little bit more about from the onset.

And when you get scenarios from other people, which I rarely do in simulators, you can’t always know if they’ve done their research Which is why I think it’s super awesome when the developers make content that they basically “vouch for”. The NI and CoW campaigns both have insanely good premises. I’m going to play them soon. Shifting Sands was more of a surprise to me. To have the first historical campaign not be based on one of the more well known wars.

Post #: 4
RE: Upcoming campaigns? - 12/3/2017 2:45:24 PM   
pjb1

deleted

< Message edited by pjb1 -- 12/3/2017 3:27:01 PM >

(in reply to Gunnn)
Post #: 5
RE: Upcoming campaigns? - 12/6/2017 3:53:53 PM   
Project2035

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunnn

Yeah, the Command team is really small, but as I wrote above, you can make a sandbox simulator 100% realistic... only to have me ruin it by putting Canadian F-19’s and Soviet F-15’s under control of the Afghanistan Marine Corps, fighting over oil with Tibet in Long Island

My point is, if you create a scenario without adequate research, you can easily end up doing something stupid, like putting a Navy airplane under Army control. Fortunately from what I’ve seen, the DB species country of origin, year and much more. I also think nonsense load-outs (6 AGMs on an A-10? Physically possible, but damages the airplane, so was discontinued) are blocked. But AT LEAST, it would be easy to create nonsense conflicts, in geographically unlikely places or in politically unlikely participants, times and places. Or accidentally setting a tutorial mission right over a shipping lane, instead of a likely naval training area.

I personally intend to create some scenarios, at least for personal use, but before then I feel like I would have to research stuff like realistic SAM placement, Military airport layout and such for even the simplest of training missions. Then again, there are some people who only care about the “game mechanics” of a scenario and how to make it interesting and enjoyable, which is something I know a little bit more about from the onset.

And when you get scenarios from other people, which I rarely do in simulators, you can’t always know if they’ve done their research Which is why I think it’s super awesome when the developers make content that they basically “vouch for”. The NI and CoW campaigns both have insanely good premises. I’m going to play them soon. Shifting Sands was more of a surprise to me. To have the first historical campaign not be based on one of the more well known wars.

I think the great thing about CMANO is it has something for everyone. If someone wants a detailed recreation of historical military conflict, they can find it, while casual scenarios are just as possible. I personally like a little in between, although I do sometimes enjoy detailed scenarios as well.

(in reply to Gunnn)
Post #: 6
RE: Upcoming campaigns? - 12/8/2017 3:54:00 AM   
TYHo

Seriously, this game is unlimited in its potential to create air/naval scenarios from post-war to future conflicts. There's why I put in good money and bought every DLC and LIVE scenario that is released...

For Cold-war era, I would love to play some decolonization wars scenarios involving smaller powers such as Cuba and South Africa. And for present day, scenarios that accurately reflect current hotspots, especially involving countries such as Russia, India, France etc.

I sincerely hope community creators will not let politics interfere with the creation of any scenarios, even controversial ones. Ultimately, a simulator such as CMANO is perfect for playing out what should hopefully not be happening in real world.

Post #: 7
RE: Upcoming campaigns? - 12/8/2017 9:46:45 PM   
Jorm

Hey TYHo,

Im just about finished making a South African bush war scenario based on operation Cuito Cuanavale.
I'll finish it off it its something you are interested in
Ive been working on it for a long time but its a difficult era to get good data on etc...
It will be a very difficult scenario as this late in the bush war the angolans/cubans hard air superiorioty with their new Mig-23's outclassing the South african Mirages, and an extensive SAM and radar net work established in angola.
Still i think it will be a fun challenge
cheers

(in reply to TYHo)
Post #: 8
RE: Upcoming campaigns? - 12/8/2017 10:59:39 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

I would actually really enjoy something covering the Indo-Pakistan Wars.

Other than that, Vietnam would be good as well, but what about a DLC of highlights from the Post Cold War conflicts (1991-2000)?

Possibly include the 1991 Gulf War, but I also mean the wars in the Balkans and elsewhere after the US became the sole Superpower. I think some interesting what if's could be included, like perhaps a Russian Civil War as a result of the August Coup.

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 9
RE: Upcoming campaigns? - 12/9/2017 7:38:51 AM   
TYHo

Cool, Jorm! I'll be very keen to try out the scenario! BTW, have you read this book, SAAF's_Border_War_The_South_Africa Air Force in Combat by Peter Baxter? It may be helpful...

< Message edited by TYHo -- 12/9/2017 7:40:30 AM >

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 10
RE: Upcoming campaigns? - 12/9/2017 8:48:35 AM   
Jorm

quote:

ORIGINAL: TYHo

Cool, Jorm! I'll be very keen to try out the scenario! BTW, have you read this book, SAAF's_Border_War_The_South_Africa Air Force in Combat by Peter Baxter? It may be helpful...

AH Nope but i have
Brig-Gen Dick Lord " from fledgling to eagle, the south african air force during the border war", 2008,ill keep an eye out for the peter baxter book !!
thanks
cheers

(in reply to TYHo)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Upcoming campaigns? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI