Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[FIXED DB v473] AGM-88E (AARGM) cannot engage proper target set

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [FIXED DB v473] AGM-88E (AARGM) cannot engage proper target set Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[FIXED DB v473] AGM-88E (AARGM) cannot engage proper ta... - 11/16/2017 10:04:09 PM   
Demetrious

The AARGM (HARM + millimeter wave radar) cannot engage anything but threat radars, despite (properly and correctly) having Surface Ships, Land Structures (Soft), Mobile Units (Soft), and Radars in its "Valid Targets" list in its DB entry (DB #1134). Trying to engage said targets simply doesn't display the weapon, as usual with invalid weapons. Against same classes of units with radars, it functions exactly as a purely passive ARM weapon does, only allowing launch when threat emitters are radiating.

This is in Command v. 1.13, Build 972.11, DB3000 Build 470.

< Message edited by emsoy -- 1/19/2018 4:01:40 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: AGM-88E (AARGM) cannot engage proper target set - 11/17/2017 12:20:37 AM   
Scorpion86

I'm sure someone will point out that you need to post a save of a scenario where that occurs, so I'll just save their effort and post it now.

(in reply to Demetrious)
Post #: 2
RE: AGM-88E (AARGM) cannot engage proper target set - 11/17/2017 1:57:17 AM   
Demetrious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scorpion86

I'm sure someone will point out that you need to post a save of a scenario where that occurs, so I'll just save their effort and post it now.

Easy enough, here y'go: https://www.mediafire.com/file/0evhvl26hn9m55z/AAGM%20TEST.scen

Not much to it, play as Side B and try to shoot missile. Variety of target types - radar cold, radar hot, and no radar at all so you can compare/contrast.

(in reply to Scorpion86)
Post #: 3
RE: AGM-88E (AARGM) cannot engage proper target set - 11/17/2017 5:15:57 AM   
ComDev

Yeah this is intended behaviour, it is primarily an ARM weapon.

How do you think it should work?

Secondary ARH anti-ship role? Is it used as that operationally?

Anyone got reliable info on this?

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to Demetrious)
Post #: 4
RE: AGM-88E (AARGM) cannot engage proper target set - 11/17/2017 7:22:08 AM   
Grazyn

Wiki says the radar is just there to provide terminal guidance, and you can test for yourself how this makes it different from a simple HARM. The HARM will likely miss its target if they turn off their active radar (especially if it's moving like a ship), the AARGM will use its millimeter wave radar to find and home on the target anyway.

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 5
RE: AGM-88E (AARGM) cannot engage proper target set - 11/17/2017 1:27:03 PM   
LMychajluk

I thought I saw something to this effect while playing the community scenario Crimea River. I launched a flight of F-18s w/ AGM-88Es against a Russian carrier group in the hopes that I could take down some of their radars (not neccessarily as 'anti-ship' missles) in preparation for a follow-up ASM strike. As Demetrious pointed out, ships are listed as valid targets for the AGM-88E, but I wasn't very successful, and the F-18s RTB'd with the AGM-88s. I thought maybe the surface group just turned off thier radars and let their CAP go to work(? - I'm still learning how to keep track of all these types of details), but if I remember correctly, the ships were radiating. I do recall at one point trying to launch manually and not having the HARMS listed as available, as Demetrious also indicated.

The earlier model (pre -E) AGM-88s do NOT list ships as valid targets, but I would think that any radar radiating on a frequency that that particular HARM can detect could be a potential target, no? So, shouldn't they be useful against ship-board radars as well as land-based?

I was planning on revisiting this particular scenario soon (maybe this weekend), so I'll keep an eye out for this behaviour.

(in reply to Grazyn)
Post #: 6
RE: AGM-88E (AARGM) cannot engage proper target set - 11/17/2017 2:38:27 PM   
Cik

i think there is a problem(?) with detection by airborne radars against non-ship targets in general.

i don't think i've ever detected any moving or nonmoving surface unit that wasn't a ship with any airborne radar, including radars that are probably fairly powerful (superhornets, falcons, U-2s, etc)

not sure if that's because it's bugged or because the detection threshold on things is so small that even the most powerful radars will never detect them or some other reason, though.

i imagine the surface radar on the AGM-88E just isn't powerful enough to pick up anything it's supposed to be targeting and so never updates where the missile is supposed to go.

if you replaced it with a TACTOM-analogue FLIR camera it would probably work fine. just A-G targeting radars don't work for whatever reason.

(in reply to LMychajluk)
Post #: 7
RE: AGM-88E (AARGM) cannot engage proper target set - 11/17/2017 2:48:30 PM   
ComDev

Huh?!

Savegame?

(in reply to Cik)
Post #: 8
RE: AGM-88E (AARGM) cannot engage proper target set - 11/17/2017 6:27:18 PM   
Demetrious

quote:

ORIGINAL: emsoy

Yeah this is intended behaviour, it is primarily an ARM weapon.

How do you think it should work?

Secondary ARH anti-ship role? Is it used as that operationally?

Anyone got reliable info on this?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grazyn

Wiki says the radar is just there to provide terminal guidance, and you can test for yourself how this makes it different from a simple HARM. The HARM will likely miss its target if they turn off their active radar (especially if it's moving like a ship), the AARGM will use its millimeter wave radar to find and home on the target anyway.

Ooooh, I see what happened. The AARGM actually has a non-radar strike capability enabled by a GPS/INS midcourse guidance, using the millimeter-wave radar for terminal targeting: [source]

quote:

The AGM-88E is equipped with an advanced multi-sensor system comprising a Millimetre Wave (MMW) terminal seeker, advanced Anti-Radiation Homing (ARH) receiver and Global Positioning System/Inertial Navigation System (GPS/INS). The system can quickly engage traditional and advanced enemy air defence targets as well as non-radar time-sensitive strike targets.

The missile receives tactical intelligence information through an embedded Integrated Broadcast System Receiver (IBS-R). The IBS delivers situational awareness information and second source confirmation for the war-fighters. The missile transfers real-time weapon impact assessment reports. It offers extended-range engagement, as well as organic, in-cockpit emitter targeting capability, and situational awareness.

This is a pretty useful feature - it makes the weapon a general-purpose, medium-range high-speed ground strike weapon, which the US was lacking before.

A few more sources:

[Orbital ATK's own brochure] This is interesting, as it specifies the missile's standoff strike ability uses "GPs/INS point-to-point or point-to-MMW-terminal guidance." (MMW == millimeter wave, natch.) It also re-iterates the separate time-sensitive strike mission as distinct from DEAD.

[Naval Air Systems Command:]

quote:

AARGM baseline capabilities include an expanded target set, counter-shutdown capability, advanced signals processing for improved detection and locating, geographic specificity providing aircrew the opportunity to define missile-impact zones and impact-avoidance zones, and a weapon impact-assessment broadcast capability providing for battle damage assessment cueing.

The AARGM is apparently an upgrade kit applied to existing AGM-88Cs by replacing the nose/seeker portion with a "HARM Control Section Modification." These things are expensive, (what with the radar, datalinks, and so forth,) which is presumably why the military is augmenting their arsenal with modified rounds, but not upgrading the entire extensive stockpile (as the NavAir link mentioned.) Most scenario designers seem aware of this and usually give you a number of AARGMs, backed up by significantly more older HARMs. Thus, when selecting loadouts you have to carefully consider things - the HARMS are available in quantity for SEAD, but the AARGMs are more capable against targets not requiring saturation/multiple threat vector attacks, and also have a flexible engagement ability against annoying non-radar pop-up targets (like that one MANPAD team scenario designers like to plunk down on airbases.)

The general strike ability is an inherent ability of the weapon, but it's still primarily a DEAD weapon - everything that makes it capable of striking a non-radiating target also enhances its DEAD mission (instead of relying on its own memory and anti-rad seeker, it can receive geolocation data from the Growler that launched it, supporting Rivet Joints, etc., and navigate to those co-ordinates via GPS, for instance.) So operationally it's still a SEAD/DEAD loadout only; the secondary strike ability is a nice bonus.

The database entry for the weapon is 100% correct as far as I can tell, it has the proper target set and even the GPS/INS navigation, so this might simply be coded behavior attached to the passive radar seeker ending up as the weapon's default logic. The LRASM also has a passive radar homing ability (i.e. a passive seeker sensor in its database entry) so it might be affected as well. I'll test it.

EDIT:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cik

i think there is a problem(?) with detection by airborne radars against non-ship targets in general.

He's right. I'll post a separate reporting thread for it with a .scen file to demonstrate the issue.

< Message edited by Demetrious -- 11/17/2017 6:37:44 PM >

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 9
RE: AGM-88E (AARGM) cannot engage proper target set - 11/17/2017 8:27:43 PM   
Cik

full disclosure i have detected large building targets (palaces, very large communications facilities, etc.) with radar(s) but never anything smaller than "large building" moving ground targets seem totally immune to detection, even large TELs.

the question is whether that's intentional or not, i guess- has the determination been made that even relatively new A-G radars don't detect moving or unmoving vehicle-sized targets at even relatively close ranges?

(in reply to Demetrious)
Post #: 10
RE: AGM-88E (AARGM) cannot engage proper target set - 11/17/2017 9:34:19 PM   
Demetrious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cik

full disclosure i have detected large building targets (palaces, very large communications facilities, etc.) with radar(s) but never anything smaller than "large building" moving ground targets seem totally immune to detection, even large TELs.

the question is whether that's intentional or not, i guess- has the determination been made that even relatively new A-G radars don't detect moving or unmoving vehicle-sized targets at even relatively close ranges?

Probably not - I remember drone-mounted radars being able to pick up stationary ground targets fairly well. That vanished an update or two back, along with the mystical all-seeing eye of FLIR (which is now pretty accurate to life - the good FLIR systems still find things right quick given even minimal cuing via ESM detection or whatever, but are hopeless for volume search unless they're a system dedicated to that.) As for detecting stationary ground targets with area search radar, I quickly discovered 1. yes, it is possible and they can do it, and 2. it's far from perfect at the moment and active development is chasing big improvements in signal processing software/techniques to improve it. So currently it's a trade-off - a dedicated IR area search system like Gorgon STARE does much better but the SAR radar is multipurpose and light enough to be integrated into the airframe instead of as a payload unto itself.

It probably just broke when they fixed FLIR, or something.

(in reply to Cik)
Post #: 11
RE: AGM-88E (AARGM) cannot engage proper target set - 11/23/2017 6:40:57 PM   
ComDev

Thanks guys :)

Sooooo... where do we stand on this? Make the weapon capable against mobile ground targets and ships, but tell the AI to not use the weapon against these targets through the WRA?

Thus allowing players and scenario designers to customize usage of the weapon?

Thoughts?

(in reply to Demetrious)
Post #: 12
RE: AGM-88E (AARGM) cannot engage proper target set - 12/11/2017 4:48:39 PM   
Demetrious

quote:

ORIGINAL: emsoy

Thanks guys :)

Sooooo... where do we stand on this? Make the weapon capable against mobile ground targets and ships, but tell the AI to not use the weapon against these targets through the WRA?

Thus allowing players and scenario designers to customize usage of the weapon?

Thoughts?

That'd definitely be my suggestion! Just as "Anti-surface SAMs" are set to "off" by default; fits the weapon abilities and standard doctrine both.

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 13
RE: AGM-88E (AARGM) cannot engage proper target set - 12/12/2017 3:32:20 PM   
SirAndrew

As we are talking of anti-surface SAMs, there are some AAM that can have an air-to-ground secondary capability too. Like what you were saying for the AGM-88, could this be implemented in the future?
By the way, I think that for the AARGM the best solution would be to have a restricted WRA for the AI, but to allow the players to set that differently, just like emsoy said.

< Message edited by SirAndrew -- 12/12/2017 6:31:20 PM >

(in reply to Demetrious)
Post #: 14
RE: AGM-88E (AARGM) cannot engage proper target set - 1/19/2018 4:00:32 AM   
ComDev

Fixed DB473, thanks

(in reply to SirAndrew)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [FIXED DB v473] AGM-88E (AARGM) cannot engage proper target set Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI