Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, U2 are welcome

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, U2 are welcome Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 10/17/2017 7:25:30 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain
the bombing of the Il-2 factory which is nice but imo the Reds just need to evacuate it turn 3 and be done with it.

Probably the right conclusion. But remember you will produce as many as hundreds less of the aircraft. In effect the same result as the bombing until evacuation but without the bombing. See post 124 of the Axis AAR of EightMP.

Ya, you will normally have hundreds if not thousands sitting in the "POOL" anyway. So no biggie to me.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 211
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 10/17/2017 7:29:42 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

quote:

the bombing of the Il-2 factory which is nice but imo the Reds just need to evacuate it turn 3 and be done with it.

Probably the right conclusion. But remember you will produce as many as hundreds less of the aircraft. In effect the same result as the bombing until evacuation but without the bombing. See post 124 of the Axis AAR of EightMP.

Ya, you will normally have hundreds if not thousands sitting in the "POOL" anyway. So no biggie to me.

Just use more regular bombers :)

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 212
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 10/17/2017 7:43:31 PM   
Crackaces

My point being .. if the Soviet player understood this level of optimization and the German player were at my current newbie level .. it would be easy to conclude that the game is borked and does not produce historical results ..thus my comment that game engine changes to produce specified results constrained by history is a fine line to walk with the concept of a playable game ..
The past 3 weeks has been an eye opening experience understanding how a lot of small nuances in this game add up to victory. The key I believe given equally skilled players with a common understanding of game mechanics will result in a close game as defined by Soviets take Berlin sometime after May 1945 ...(or however else ou want to define a close game)

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

Post #: 213
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 10/17/2017 8:00:53 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

My point being .. if the Soviet player understood this level of optimization and the German player were at my current newbie level .. it would be easy to conclude that the game is borked and does not produce historical results ..thus my comment that game engine changes to produce specified results constrained by history is a fine line to walk with the concept of a playable game ..
The past 3 weeks has been an eye opening experience understanding how a lot of small nuances in this game add up to victory. The key I believe given equally skilled players with a common understanding of game mechanics will result in a close game as defined by Soviets take Berlin sometime after May 1945 ...(or however else ou want to define a close game)

Ya, I understood where you were coming from.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 214
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 10/17/2017 8:09:08 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Ya, I think I'm really at the point I will be taking an extended vacation from the game soon.

Post #: 215
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 10/17/2017 8:28:29 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

Ya, I think I'm really at the point I will be taking an extended vacation from the game soon.

well you are an important contributor to this forum (INHO) .. but don't become burned out ...

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

Post #: 216
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 10/17/2017 8:46:59 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

well you are an important contributor to this forum (INHO) .. but don't become burned out ...

Thank you, we all have been contributing and learning a great deal on the game that hasn't been brought out until recently. I think this has been a very interesting time for WiTE and really looking forward to WiTE 2.0 :)

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 217
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 10/19/2017 7:01:17 AM   
Dinglir

Turn 13

Attachment (1)

To be is to do -- Socrates
To do is to be -- Jean-Paul Sartre
Do be do be do -- Frank Sinatra

Post #: 218
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 10/29/2017 7:43:04 PM   
Dinglir

Turn 14.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 219
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 11/4/2017 9:43:15 PM   
Dinglir

Turn fifteen.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 220
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 11/5/2017 9:21:11 AM   
tyronec

Interesting game and excellent write up.
What are your expectations for how things will go long term ?
With the apparently 'random' reactions by the soviet air force, were the units bombed all the same front or did you just hit one that was in a front with air support ?

Both of you seem to be of the opinion that there is not much Axis can do to stop almost total STAVKA air dominance by '42, much my experience as well. Would be interesting to hear any other views on this.

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 221
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 11/5/2017 10:17:55 AM   
Dinglir

quote:

ORIGINAL: tyronec
Interesting game and excellent write up.

Thanks.

quote:

What are your expectations for how things will go long term ?

As I have never played the Axis even in to the winter of 1941/1942, I expect that I will make a series of strategic mistakes that will cost me the victory. I aim to reduce such mistakes as much as possible, and to learn a lot from the experience.

quote:

With the apparently 'random' reactions by the soviet air force, were the units bombed all the same front or did you just hit one that was in a front with air support ?

I guess HardLuck has been smart about his setup ensuring that only the units in the main line of resistance is under Front Command and thus able to receive Air Support.

quote:

Both of you seem to be of the opinion that there is not much Axis can do to stop almost total STAVKA air dominance by '42, much my experience as well. Would be interesting to hear any other views on this.

I am thinking of doing an air war post in the War Room later today describing my experiences so far. Until then I will refrain from answering your question :-)

< Message edited by Dinglir -- 11/5/2017 10:18:27 AM >

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 222
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 11/5/2017 12:57:08 PM   
tyronec

There was a little discussion about the air war here:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2788580&mpage=25&key=

I think the SU2 factory is upgraded to IL2M, can anyone confirm ?
The big one I missed in one game was the MIGs in Moscow being converted to ILs as well, some of those old factory guides are out of date.

< Message edited by tyronec -- 11/5/2017 1:06:43 PM >

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 223
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 11/5/2017 2:26:35 PM   
Dinglir

quote:

I think the SU2 factory is upgraded to IL2M, can anyone confirm ?

As far as I can tell that's only the aircraft and not the factory.

The factory should still be going out of production in march 1942 as far as I know.

Hence my question: Am I missing something here?

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 224
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 11/5/2017 3:40:34 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

The Germans can do things to mitigate, if not shut it down, the effects of what the Soviets do in the Air even against an aggressive Soviet player in the Air in the current patch You just need to know what to do to control the situation. And "no" I'm not playing another game to show how to do the controlling as a German. The tools are there you just need to know the settings and what to do to make it happen.

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 225
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 11/5/2017 4:14:48 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

The causalities taken and given to regiments/Brigades is silly. Added to the fact the same is true for PZ divisions. They both seem to be on the same chart when being attacked by the Soviets, super human ;-P. You will see in a future post when we get to turn 25 the 1st turn of blizzard German regiments taking 0 (ZERO) damage while inflicting 300-500+ casualties to Soviet Divisions with over 45 experience and 45 morale. Some of these regiments had moved in their turn, were in the open, and had been retreated from a previous combat & been bombed. I'm just shaking my head every time I see this. (A good note is that I'm not seeing this in 2.0 so far in my battles :-) )

Post #: 226
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 11/5/2017 7:02:23 PM   
M60A3TTS

So are you actually still playing this game? I thought you decided to go on hiatus.

Post #: 227
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 11/5/2017 7:23:22 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

So are you actually still playing this game? I thought you decided to go on hiatus.

I kept this one game only & will dig deeper into WITE 2.0 when I'm fully back. I love the game a great deal but was consuming way too much time of mine. 12-14 hours a day behind the computer was driving me up the wall. I had to cut back or go insane.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 228
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 11/12/2017 9:49:59 AM   
Dinglir

Turn sixteen.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 229
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 11/26/2017 9:46:01 AM   
Dinglir

Turn seventeen.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 230
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/7/2017 6:59:28 PM   
Dinglir

Turn eighteen to twentythree.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 231
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/7/2017 9:12:56 PM   
SparkleyTits

Great, informative read as always Dinglir I am rooting for ya!

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 232
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/8/2017 2:20:09 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

Great, informative read as always Dinglir I am rooting for ya!

OH! I see how it is ;-P. Trying to keep the Soviets down!!!!! Sheesh

(in reply to SparkleyTits)
Post #: 233
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/8/2017 2:34:03 AM   
SparkleyTits

Well Communism is best appreciated when soundly under a boot

It seems Telemecus's influence is rubbing off on me...... Please help

Post #: 234
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/9/2017 7:52:10 PM   
Dinglir

Turn twentyfour.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SparkleyTits)
Post #: 235
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/10/2017 3:30:38 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Stalins Christmas present.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 12/10/2017 3:33:20 AM >

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 236
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/10/2017 3:37:04 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

Stalins Christmas present.

Really brings up the questions that should the Soviets really be able to get this many Guard Infantry rifle divisions this early?

Post #: 237
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/10/2017 4:00:56 AM   
Dinglir

quote:

Really brings up the questions that should the Soviets really be able to get this many Guard Infantry rifle divisions this early?

Historically, I read somewhere that the Soviets had ten Guards divisions at the end of 1941 and about 32 by 1943.

There is a top limit to how many Guards you can have at specific times. That is why you have been creating a bunch of them during the first week of January. Now, you'll be making no more until the first week of February, when you'll be making another bunch of them.

Of course, you have to take into consideration that the +1 Soviet attack modifier of our game makes it much easier for the Soviets to accumulate wins. I decided back in the fall of 1941 to ignore Soviet "Guards farming" as I saw no real way of preventing it anyways.

Personally, I think the limits are to high. Guards should be "special" units. Having 50 of them is not really very "special" at all. So I would prefer setting the limits to a lesser amount (and even making their morale setting a little higher if you are concerned about game balance).

Post #: 238
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/11/2017 7:00:51 PM   
Dinglir

Turn twentyfive.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 239
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/11/2017 10:31:24 PM   
Sammy5IsAlive

I'm not sure about your theory of airstrikes making Soviet units stronger. I know you've done tests running air strikes then comparing CV as displayed on the counters but have you run the same tests comparing the adjusted CVs you see in the battle screen*? My hunch would be that potential CV reductions due to disrupted elements may not show up on the 'counter CVs'. Speaking anecdotally from a very small sample size, my own experience is that Soviet units that have been subject to Ground Attack missions 'feel like' they retreat easier and suffer more casualties when they do so.

* I appreciate that because of all the other variables/die rolls involved in getting to an adjusted value you would have to run a very large number of trials in order to get an idea of the effect of airstrikes in isolation of all the other variance.

< Message edited by Sammy5IsAlive -- 12/11/2017 10:34:51 PM >

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, U2 are welcome Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI