Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Notes from a Small Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/9/2017 3:16:38 PM   
Canoerebel

Yup.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 271
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/9/2017 3:20:50 PM   
Canoerebel

6/3/44

NoPac: No major enemy interference today; no sign of KB or Kaigun; the threat of enemy LBA is minimal since the Sikhalin Island bases are both level one; unless Erik strikes hard tomorrow, I think the opening of the invasion is going to succeed.

Three months ago, when we started the game, this plan was conceived. At the time, I envision utter carnage as a massive Allied invasion fleet had to pierce a ring of steel at the Kuriles - mines, subs, enemy air, combat TFs, carriers. So far that has not been the case.

From my perspective looking through the glass darkly - I think the Allies may have indeed achieved strategic surprise that will prove vital in the opening days.

Erik will react quickly and violently. Things will get tight. But for any of that to matter, first I have to take Sikhalin Island.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 272
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/9/2017 4:27:16 PM   
Drakanel

Hrm, I was wrong. I originally thought you planned to take Hokkaido directly, a risky move but still possible in my opinion at this date. Instead it's Sikhalin Island, for a strategic bombing campaign.

So the question now is, where will you go from here? You named a few posts ago a secondary force, I wonder whether it's to reinforce / disembark a lot of support units, or to strike at other nearby bases. The Kuriles do seem possible, to open a path. But then again, I don't know if they're worth it...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 273
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/9/2017 4:36:23 PM   
Canoerebel

It's pretty clear now that Hokkaido would be a real bear. Bihoro is strongly held and I know there are divisions at Kushiro and Sapporo. If I landed a full force fully prepped, I'd have a chance. But it would be a tough, long fight that might get dirty. And stepping back three months to March 1, 1944, the thought of a stiffly held Hokkaido was daunting. So I looked for places that had obvious advantages. One of those is Sikhalin Island, where I had intel on Shikuka due to the Russian troops in the adjacent hex (plus Sikhalin Island's "back" is safe - I'm not surrounded by 360 degrees of hostile terrain).

The secondary target (which was originally the primary target) had similar advantages. :)

Erik is going to pour reinforcements and power into this game. He perceives where his weaknesses are and will want to address them, in addition to the need to strike telling blows against the Allies. But I'm probably not going to press the matter. I'm watching the bottom line (denominator) of the Auto Victory equation carefully. Right now, the objective is to take Strategic Bombing bases and establish a Gibralter/Cemetery Hill that will cost Erik dearly if/when he attacks.

The Kuriles are needed, but not in the short or medium term. I'll need to prep troops (and the Shikuka troops are likely to take on that chore, once Shikuka falls). I hope to have enough supply and fuel to manage things far into the future. This campaign is somewhat analogous to my Big Tent (DEI) operation in the game vs. John III, but with far more supply and fuel.

A lot of this is due to Joseph's (SqzMyLemon's) work before I stepped in. And perhaps Historiker's too, though I'm not familiar with how long he played and the dat ewhen Joseph stepped in for him.

(in reply to Drakanel)
Post #: 274
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/9/2017 5:29:03 PM   
Drakanel

Oh, it is interesting and unexpected this way, so zero complaints here. And now I'm also wondering about the secondary target. Hrrrm, curiosity... Will have to read and find out.

But, but, BUT. Now that we do know one of the targets, do we get a nice Operation name? Or, will we have to wait for the secondary invasion before we do?
Frosty Cakes?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 275
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/10/2017 4:28:17 AM   
Canoerebel

6/4/44

NoPac: Things went pretty smoothly today. D-Day will be tomorrow. Erik has a host of subs closing in. As for KB and Kaigun, I don't know.

I do know that Erik is an exceptional player and that the hardest and toughest days are to come. Before I can allow for that, though, I have to succeed in the opening amphibious assaults. Things are shaping up well to this point. Opposition has been far weaker than expected. And if the location of Erik's subs (flooding up from CenPac) is any indication, the Allies did achieve strategic surprise. I don't know how things are going to play out, but achieving that level of surprise is encouraging and rewarding. An immense amount of planning and preparation went into this operation.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 12/10/2017 4:41:10 AM >

(in reply to Drakanel)
Post #: 276
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/10/2017 8:32:55 PM   
Canoerebel

6/5/44

NoPac: The opening objective was to overwhelm the enemy at a single point. Things are shaping up pretty well at Shikuka.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 277
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/11/2017 8:08:02 PM   
BBfanboy

Your annotated maps are a real treat for the peanut gallery trying to follow events. Thank you for your efforts producing them!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 278
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/11/2017 8:19:40 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Your annotated maps are a real treat for the peanut gallery trying to follow events. Thank you for your efforts producing them!

Hear hear. I'm appreciating them as well.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 279
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/11/2017 8:43:17 PM   
Canoerebel

Thanks, Gents. I like doing the maps, when there's time to relax and do them right. Knowing that readers find them useful is encouraging.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 280
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/11/2017 9:04:35 PM   
Canoerebel

A synopsis of the origin, planning and triggering of Operation Allen Poe (all operations in this game - there shouldn't be many since it's mid 1944 - will come from American literature).

Origin: We started the game effective 3/1/1944. Within two or three days, I had chose the NoPac strategy. I think the initial decision was made on March 2 or 3, when I found a USA division at East Coast 100% prepped for East Coast. The question: What to switch prep to? The answer: Korea.

Getting Started: With a focus on Korea, the biggest tasks were prep and retrieving the massive, massive, massive army in SWPac. Much of this army was very far forward - right on the front lines. The prospect of pulling out divisions and brigades and HQ units from right under Erik's nose was daunting. I had visions of air strikes and combat ship raids and utter mayhem. Instead, everything went incredibly well. It took 2+ months, but I don't think I lost a ship. Erik knew what was going on (he had places like Rabaul under close scrutiny) but he probably drew errant deductions, since I seem to have caught him by surprise.

Modifications: Gradually, over the course of a few weeks, I identified Toyohara and Shikuka as important secondary targets. These gradually became the primary targets, along with some of the Kuriles. The Korean targets faded as the reality of the immensity of a deep operation against an excellent opponent hit home. IE: planning helped me understand just how tough this was going to be.

Progress: By the end of April 1944, the retrieval was beginning to wind down and prep was really making progress. The rally point was Pearl Harbor, where I eventually accumulated more than 11,500 AV and far more than 1700 ships (the Screen won't show anything over 1300). I envision a trigger date of early June 1944 - IE, the armada would leave Pearl on or about then.

Misdirection and the Like: All the while, the Allies focused on little operations to take the lightly-held Marshalls and Gilberts. I don't know if this had any impact on Erik's thinking whatsoever. From the outset, the culmination was to be a faux invasion of Marcus involving full Death Star. The plan was to approaching Marcus slowly - agonizingly slowly - so that Erik might draw up some eight-hex-strike plans. Then, at a propitious moment, the faux merchants would turn around and Death Star would leap forward. I was hoping to draw a big carrier battle in the open...in hopes that a victory would really help the looming operation in NoPac.

SigInt: Very helpful as I began to put together a good picture as the days crept into mid March. It became clear that Erik had no holes in his defenses; his major infantry units and HQ units were prudently dispersed at all kinds key places. It looked like he was defending forward in Burma and China, which I deemed a mistake. And I concluded it might well be possible to overwhelm him at a single point, as long as he wasn't forewarned or guessing right.

Ripening: Even as I began to pull together the Marcus op, things started happening that quickened the pulse. Erik's game with Lowpe had reached a fever pitch. I looked like he was giving all his attention to that game, and with good reason. And then I got a SigInt that he had a small infantry unit aboard ship bound for Sadogashima in the Sea of Japan. This set the warning bells to ringing - to that point all had been quiet in the targeted theater of operations. And I wanted to do as much as possible while Erik was absorbed in his game with Jeff on the theory that I had better take advantage of every little thing.

Triggering: As I began to assemble the mock Marcus invasion force in early- to mid-May, I made the decision to proceed with the entire Operation. This took a good 10 days of work. Massive TFs would load at Pearl and then report to Midway or vicinity while others loaded in their place. To load 11,000 AV plus tons of supply and fuel took a long time. Consequently, the armada became scattered with TFs everywhere. Some I realized wouldn't make it in time - these were dispatched to the Aleutians. Others were late arriving - like CV Hancock - and had to catch up. Hancock didn't catch up until far north of Midway. The result of the early implementation of the plan was saving about two weeks at the expense of leaving behind one CVL and several CVEs (later arrivals) and a number of big merchant TFs of secondary importance. Overall, I was very pleased with what did make it.

Surprise? The Armada seemed to proceed in relative peace and quiet. My impression - and this may be way off - is that Erik picked up on scattered small stuff and concluded that this was likely a bluff. I wasn't sure, though. And given Erik's reputation, I feared an all-out assault at any minute. In particular, his carriers and subs worried me. But the Armada proceeded. Erik didn't really seem to catch on until he got major reports when the Armada was about 10 hexes from the Kuriles. The fact that only a few subs were present while dozens were streaming up from the south suggest that the Allies did achieve a level of surprise that I had hoped for but never really expected to achieve.

That's how we ended up with this massive invasion of NoPac. Later, I'll go into how I think Erik might respond, given what I now know about his preparations and force dispositions. But it's still scary that I don't know where he combat ships and carriers are and given his ability as a player.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 12/11/2017 9:11:51 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 281
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/12/2017 12:22:11 AM   
Canoerebel

6/6/44

NoPac: Another series of sharp actions: night bombers strike Death Star, penetrate the CAP, and launch without hitting; many interactions between Allied ASW and Avengers and enemy subs, with literally dozens of hits reported; enemy LBA sorties in large numbers against Allied assault shipping at Toyohara; Death Star LRCAP does a magnificent job handling those strikes, as Erik loses 300+ aircraft to about 30 for me; the landing at Toyohara goes well and will see a shock attack tomorrow; and Shikuka falls on a huge shock attack that overcomes something like 5 or 6 forts.

No sign of serious enemy combat shipping yet. It will arrive sooner or later. I'm hoping I have a few more days to square things away at Shikuka and Toyohara. In a few more days, the Allied position will begin to take on the characteristics of a fortress.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 282
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/12/2017 12:42:47 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Origin: We started the game effective 3/1/1944. Within two or three days, I had chose the NoPac strategy. I think the initial decision was made on March 2 or 3, when I found a USA division at East Coast 100% prepped for East Coast. The question: What to switch prep to? The answer: Korea.

Getting Started: With a focus on Korea, the biggest tasks were prep and retrieving the massive, massive, massive army in SWPac. Much of this army was very far forward - right on the front lines. The prospect of pulling out divisions and brigades and HQ units from right under Erik's nose was daunting. I had visions of air strikes and combat ship raids and utter mayhem. Instead, everything went incredibly well. It took 2+ months, but I don't think I lost a ship. Erik knew what was going on (he had places like Rabaul under close scrutiny) but he probably drew errant deductions, since I seem to have caught him by surprise.

Methinks your other AAR is bleeding over into this one!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 283
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/12/2017 12:52:28 AM   
Canoerebel

Nope. The original targets were four bases in Korea. :)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 284
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/12/2017 3:40:16 PM   
Canoerebel

6/6/44

Shikuka: How quickly can the Allies build the airfield at Shikuka?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 285
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/12/2017 5:09:15 PM   
Lokasenna

This quickly!

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2885601

You'll reach level 2 in one day, and level 3 two days after that, with those numbers of engineers.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 286
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/12/2017 5:18:39 PM   
BillBrown

You need about 23500 engineer days to build your airbase to level 9. the maximum you can utilize is 1000 engineers per day.
so you can build it in about 24 days if you double number of effective engineers that you have their now.

do not forget to press the expand button on the airbase.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 287
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/12/2017 7:46:21 PM   
Canoerebel

6/7/44

A bloody, violent day that leaves the Allies a bit tattered, Japanese naval air a bit tattered, and the Allied land operations in good shape. I think a chronological report will be easier for you to digest than a pictorial one.

Night Action: More Frances bombers on night strike make launches and fail to score hits (I have night fighters than aren't making contact but are probably disrupting).

Sub Wars: An enemy sub puts a TT into CV Franklin (doing 6/38/0 damage). Subs also sink an xAK or two. Many IJ subs are sunk outright by naval ASW and many hits are recorded by air ASW.

Landings and Bombardments: The amphibious landings continue apace at Toyohara and a BB TF bombards to good effect.

Enemy Plan: Erik had a very good plan. His LBA swept Toyohara to very good effect, waves of Georges getting the best of the carrier air. He then placed KB just south of Hokkaido, in a position to strike hard against Allied shipping at Toyohara. Some enemy strike flew, but Allied naval LRCAP handled it.

Reaction: Then the Allied fleet carriers reacted to within range (against orders; the first time I've experienced this in a long time). This brought my CVs within range of his, but I had my air set to short range (thank goodness - strikes would've been chewed alive by his carrier air bolstered by his LRCAP).

Naval Air Strikes:
Several large strikes by enemy air came in. The CAP handled these well but not perfectly. CV Essex took several TT hits and is a flaming wreck likely to go down. Several other carriers took light damage. Erik lost some 500 aircraft. I lost about 150 fighters.

On the Ground: The Allies take Toyohara easily, a very important achievement. Shikuka airfield advanced to 1.40. During the day, an additional 1100 engineers landed, but all in Strat mode. I've converted them to combat mode now, so I have 1500 engineering squads at Shikuka (and something like 250 at Toyohara). Building commences in earnest tomorrow.

AKVs deposited to P-39 squadrons at Shikuka and three P-47 squadrons came in from the Aleutians. The base also has a goodly amount of AA.

Analysis: I'm down one carrier (Essex) with another (Franklin) that's on the margin. Erik's naval air power should be degraded temporarily.

I'm going to try to get my carriers back where they belong - if they disobey or if they react again - things could turn very ugly.

If I can get my carriers back to the Shikuka vicinity without serious further diminution, I think I'm in pretty good position despite today's losses.

But missteps now - or oddities created by the AI - could have a disproportionate affect on things. They'll be some nail biting and sphincter clenching this next turn.

I'll post some images later.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 288
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/12/2017 8:04:39 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

You need about 23500 engineer days to build your airbase to level 9. the maximum you can utilize is 1000 engineers per day.
so you can build it in about 24 days if you double number of effective engineers that you have their now.

Well, except that there is a percentage maximum that you can do on each level. Level 8 to 9 AF only costs 994 engineer points, but you can only achieve 50% of that in a day.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 289
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/12/2017 9:35:51 PM   
Chickenboy

Can you disband Essex's carrier air groups in port at Shikuka?

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 12/12/2017 9:37:33 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 290
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/12/2017 9:51:48 PM   
Canoerebel

Yes, if she makes it that far. I'll post a screenie of her later. She probably won't make it and, if she does, she'll never fight again!

But a bunch of Essex's aircraft diverted to Shikuka, including 30 Corsairs. That was nice! I've re-inserted them on one of the other fleet carriers, after moving off the SBD unit. Defense is the priority now.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 291
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/12/2017 11:16:47 PM   
BillBrown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

Well, except that there is a percentage maximum that you can do on each level. Level 8 to 9 AF only costs 994 engineer points, but you can only achieve 50% of that in a day.

Level 8 to 9 costs 8000 engineers, so it will take 1000 engineers 8 days to increase the base from 8 to 9.
The chart says you can only use 994 engineers and the base can only go up 50% in one day.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 292
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/12/2017 11:19:29 PM   
Canoerebel

6/7/44

NoPac: This will give you guys a better feel for what happened today.

Had my carrier not reacted, they'd have been 10 hexes from KB. In that case, KB likely would have chewed up my shipping at Toyohara. Overall, I came out on the debit side of the equation...but I'll have a better feel for things tomorrow.

I shouldn't forget to mention the importance of taking Toyohara. Had that bogged down, as I feared a bit, things could've really been messy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 293
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/12/2017 11:59:29 PM   
Canoerebel

6/7/44

CV Franklin: A sub put a torp in her early in the day. She can still handle flight ops, and I'm going to count on her at least for another day. These are sub-choked waters...although Erik's subs have taken a bit of a pasting.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 294
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/13/2017 12:02:28 AM   
Canoerebel

6/7/44

CV Essex: Enemy strike aircraft put at least two TT into her.

In my game with John III, Allied damage control has seemed nerfed (to me, the biased observer). I'm going to give it a chance in this game. Essex is unlikely to make it but she has a good captain.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 295
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/13/2017 12:14:58 AM   
Canoerebel

6/7/44

Shikuka: Now has 142k supply (limit is about 156k until built larger). The engineers are in place to build fast. Shikuka has the strength to stand - as long as Japan doesn't control the seas. So the highest priority is to preserve Death Star and the combat TFs while warding off enemy carrier or combat ship strikes.

A level 6 port with 437 Naval Support, Shikuka has already re-armed everything up to CA in size. I'm about to bring in some of the AE and AKE to service the BBs (only two of which have expended ammo - in this morning's bombardment of Toyohara).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 296
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/13/2017 12:19:14 AM   
Canoerebel

6/7/44

Toyohara: The Allies take this base easily today, negating my concerns about the terrain, forts, and relatively modest force superiority.

Toyohara is strongly enough garrisoned to make counterinvasion very unlikely unless and until Erik takes control of the seas.

Two RCT will occupy the two hexes to the north, just in case Erik comes up with the same idea I had. One is in place, the other has to move a hex.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 297
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/13/2017 12:24:42 AM   
Canoerebel

6/7/44

Ships Sunk: Enemy subs have taken a pounding over the past three or four days. This list is probably inaccurate but is representative; the number of Avenger hits on subs has been astonishing the past three days. (Or, astonishing to me; Erik's viewpoint may tell a different story, but I hope not.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 298
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/13/2017 12:29:50 AM   
Canoerebel

6/7/44

Intelligence Screen: Two days ago, the Allies had less than 28,000 points (and I started with well over 27,000 three months ago). The increase has come from enemy bases taken, enemy aircraft downed, and enemy ships sunk.

I'd feel really good about things...if not for Essex and the dispersal of Allied carriers via reaction. Tomorrow is a critical day. I need to marshal my forces and prepare for the onslaught.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 299
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 12/13/2017 3:24:29 AM   
Lokasenna

Yes, your carriers reacted to MKB. I've never seen carriers react at their maximum striking range (7 hexes for Allies, 8 for IJN) - they only ever seem to react at the 4-6 hex mark. I don't know why this is... but my suspicion is that it is an oversight from the original WITP code with its bigger hexes. The stated purpose is to facilitate carrier battles by making them move into range of each other, however if they only ever react when already within range it's kind of... well, I don't want to say stupid, but it is certainly redundant.

Personally, I'd scuttle Essex and save yourself the 60 VPs you'll have to earn later. She's just not going to put out 69 fires without taking 11 more flooding damage, not with 73 system damage already.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI