Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Does World In Flames Boxed Edition still included the three Hardbound Full Color reference volumes?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Does World In Flames Boxed Edition still included the three Hardbound Full Color reference volumes? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does World In Flames Boxed Edition still included the t... - 12/2/2017 4:55:18 AM   
AmuroRayNT

Hi,

I am interested in purchasing World In Flames boxed edition during this Christmas Sale event. Does the "boxed edition" still included three Hardbound Full Color reference volumes?

Or the three Hardbound Full Color reference volumes are not out-of-print?

Many Thanks.

--- Ken ---
Post #: 1
RE: Does World In Flames Boxed Edition still included t... - 12/2/2017 1:35:48 PM   
Dabrion

The books make excellent door stoppers.. although a bit expensive..

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”
- Richard P. Feynman, 'WiF, Sex, and the Dual Slit Experiment'.

(in reply to AmuroRayNT)
Post #: 2
RE: Does World In Flames Boxed Edition still included t... - 12/2/2017 1:58:56 PM   
Timian

If you’re in Europe, like Dabron, you need to look at postage + VAT. If you’re in the States, for $10.00 + postage (in my opinion) you can’t go wrong. Just select the “Upgrade to Box” option . . . Don.

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 3
RE: Does World In Flames Boxed Edition still included t... - 12/15/2017 9:46:18 AM   
toomutch

Hi, I'm interested in purchasing World in Flames in the current sale, in regards to there being no AI, is it still possible tp play the game against the computer at all, as I do not intend to play PBEM (as I can't commit the time and it would be unfair on any opponent). I look forward tp an answer as during the sale is the only time I could commit to purchasing, thanks.

(in reply to Timian)
Post #: 4
RE: Does World In Flames Boxed Edition still included t... - 12/15/2017 10:49:39 AM   
Joseignacio

You cannot play against the computer at all. You can play against yourself in the solo mode or use it for some arrangement with people to simulate a multiplayer. But the computer only (and it's really a marvel it can do so, and for me it's real value) enforces the rules, it is not an opponent.

(in reply to toomutch)
Post #: 5
RE: Does World In Flames Boxed Edition still included t... - 12/15/2017 9:02:41 PM   
toomutch

Thanks Joseignacio, when you say it enforces the rules, do you mean it won't allow you to cheat the system as it were when you a game
against yourself. I am still considering purchasing the game, in your opinion is worth it and is it worth getting the manuals, as I see the developers do intend to give the AI eventually and while the sale is on is definitely the time to purchase.

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 6
RE: Does World In Flames Boxed Edition still included t... - 12/15/2017 11:00:23 PM   
paulderynck

You can't cheat the system and the game does not let you break any of the rules that are in the boardgame version.

Paul

(in reply to toomutch)
Post #: 7
RE: Does World In Flames Boxed Edition still included t... - 12/16/2017 12:11:28 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: toomutch

Thanks Joseignacio, when you say it enforces the rules, do you mean it won't allow you to cheat the system as it were when you a game
against yourself. I am still considering purchasing the game, in your opinion is worth it and is it worth getting the manuals, as I see the developers do intend to give the AI eventually and while the sale is on is definitely the time to purchase.

Hi toomutch,

Welcome to the forum.

I'd seriously consider purchasing MWiF as there's a lot to learn whilst waiting for the AI and, aside from netplay (which basically works now, I think), it's surprisingly playable against oneself.

When playing one side's impulse, I tend to get engrossed in their possibilities and it's difficult to anticipate all the possible counter-moves. Upon playing the other side's impulse, new possibilities emerge, and so on.

I also employ dice rolls or coin tosses to decide on some actions. That introduces an element of uncertainty and keeps things interesting. I give riskier strategies a lower probability of being selected. For example only a one on a D6.

The manuals are very high quality and an enjoyable way to study the game. The video tutorials are excellent and comprehensive.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to toomutch)
Post #: 8
RE: Does World In Flames Boxed Edition still included t... - 12/16/2017 4:21:40 AM   
toomutch

Thanks Neilster, thats very helpful, you have convinced me that it is worth purchasing and I will get the manuals.

Cheers, Toomutch

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 9
RE: Does World In Flames Boxed Edition still included t... - 12/18/2017 7:59:15 AM   
Joseignacio

Hi, the game prevents cheating but also helps against misunderstanding the many rules that the game has, and their interpretation in cases where they seem to collide with each other, it is a teacher and a judge of the rules.

The manuals ... I understand you mean the printed books, they are somehow art, very good paper, haard covers A4 size (or similar), three thick volumes, very comprehensive, ... If you like this or need it, go ahead. After so many years playing computer games with it's pdf manuals and printing in some A4 the pdf/word manuals of board games, I can live with the PDFs inside the game. There are some tutorials as well although some of them I found unintelligible.

As for the AI, don't fool yourself or you'll end up rather embittered like many of us. There will not be an AI till the bugs are solved , the Multiplayer working, the scenarios completed and I believe even more things. According to how "fast" the game has been evolving (due to it's complexity and only one man behind the coding) you can expect from maybe 3 years if you are optimistic to 5 or more if you are not.

So buy it or not but not because it's AI, at least in a reasonable time.

(in reply to toomutch)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Does World In Flames Boxed Edition still included the three Hardbound Full Color reference volumes? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI