Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Soviet GT 20

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Soviet GT 20 Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Soviet GT 20 - 12/15/2017 12:06:08 PM   
Grognard1812

quote:

ORIGINAL: John B.

Wow. Nice counterattack. Of course, Goring guarantees that the Luftwaffe will resupply the trapped units but then he always says that. :)

The Soviet Air Force has set up a welcoming committee for the expected Axis transports comprising of recently
arrived lend lease British Hurricane IIB and American P40B fighters.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 301
RE: Soviet GT 20 - 12/15/2017 1:57:06 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

I have been conducting 2 unit bombing missions each turn on all isolated hexes as you suggest.

Along with the use of ammo .. there is evidence that fatigue does not recover while isolated? or recovers more slowly?
Air strikes cause disruption .. disruption becomes fatigue .. should isolated units be hampered in recovery .. the effects of high fatigue are to lower CV .. low ammo .. low supplies .. high fatigue all combine to make the attacks from the inside of the cauldron ineffectual ..
Whatever you have that can attack might be used to kill off these trapped units?

"In the footsteps of Napoleon the shadow figures stagger in the winter"

Well Done!

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to Grognard1812)
Post #: 302
Soviet GT 20 - 12/15/2017 4:56:51 PM   
STEF78

Welll done counterattack!

A bit too earlier... axis has snow turns to reopen the Pocket and badly hurt the soviet.

Is it a game will full blizzard as it is without soviet bonus?

Post #: 303
RE: Soviet GT 20 - 12/15/2017 5:15:24 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: STEF78

Welll done counterattack!

A bit too earlier... axis has snow turns to reopen the Pocket and badly hurt the soviet.

Is it a game will full blizzard as it is without soviet bonus?

That is my understanding STEF78 ... I had an exchange earlier with the thinking +1 bonus . one could close this pocket in a hurry .. and the "normal Blizzard" is a threat to the Germans for the units left out after opening the pocket ..
The Germans are miles away from a railhead ..

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 304
RE: Soviet GT 20 - 12/15/2017 10:35:42 PM   
chaos45

That mud pocket is bad news for the Germans, esp with surrenders already happening from it. Was surprised the Germans didnt react faster to move troops to at least secure the supply line....even in mud that armor should have been able to move some hexes......as Soviet mass attacks can still move small german units easily in mud- quality of quantity.

Post #: 305
RE: Soviet GT 20 - 12/16/2017 9:36:38 AM   
Nix77

quote:

ORIGINAL: chaos45

That mud pocket is bad news for the Germans, esp with surrenders already happening from it. Was surprised the Germans didnt react faster to move troops to at least secure the supply line....even in mud that armor should have been able to move some hexes......as Soviet mass attacks can still move small german units easily in mud- quality of quantity.

Securing the supply line wouldn't actually have been enough, even units outside the pocket were isolated due to the mud increasing the MPs to the railhead. It should probably be rather called "securing an escape route" for the surrounded units :)

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 306
Soviet GT 21 - 12/16/2017 11:56:21 AM   
Grognard1812

Soviet GT 21

As forecast the weather was mud in all the weather zones.

The Axis encircled units northeast of Voronezh, some of the German units are below 71 morale and
only one of the panzer divisions is still above 85 morale. The Luftwaffe reappeared in the area and was
successful in providing some air transport supplies to the encircled units. The 1st Cavalry division which was
scheduled to be withdrawn on GT 21 has disappeared - I guess Goring ordered the Luftwaffe to air transport
the 1st Cavalry division out of the pocket.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Grognard1812 -- 12/16/2017 12:10:43 PM >

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 307
RE: Soviet GT 21 - 12/16/2017 12:10:02 PM   
Grognard1812

The Soviet Air Force conducted an airfield bombing mission on the Luftwaffe airbases west of Voronezh which
wasn't successful.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 308
RE: Soviet GT 21 - 12/16/2017 12:14:17 PM   
Grognard1812

The situation north of Voronezh, awaiting the snow turns which start next turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 309
RE: Soviet GT 21 - 12/16/2017 12:16:17 PM   
Grognard1812

The situation south of Voronezh

Attachment (1)

Post #: 310
RE: Soviet GT 21 - 12/16/2017 1:00:34 PM   
chaos45

should be interesting going forward can see the Germans getting at least one or two more small pocket in snow if this was your final turn screen shots.

Post #: 311
RE: Soviet GT 21 - 12/16/2017 1:03:30 PM   
Grognard1812

The weather forecast for GT 22 is snow.

The encircled German army (3 Infantry Corps and 1 panzer Corp), including the beginning of next turn, will have
been isolated for 5 turns reducing their offensive strength for the upcoming snow turns and hopefully
weakening these units for the upcoming blizzard turns.

Set up a weak screen of units on the Western side of the pocket and prepared deep defensive zones around Voronezh
in case the Axis attempt a snow offensive the next three turns. My goal at the present time is to avoid any
large pockets and have a Soviet army with an OOB above 5 million for the first blizzard turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 312
RE: Soviet GT 21 - 12/16/2017 3:03:31 PM   
SparkleyTits

Quite a few of the plausible situations are starting to look like a positive result for you here Grognard
Managing to grasp the initiative like this before the winter is gonna have some dramatic effects without Tyronec reacting
I just doubt he is going to take this lying down

Has your recon seen anything conclusive west of Tamboy by the end of the turn?

Good job!

Post #: 313
RE: Soviet GT 21 - 12/17/2017 5:15:21 AM   
Grognard1812

quote:

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

Has your recon seen anything conclusive west of Tamboy by the end of the turn?

Good job!

I did a lot of recon missions west of Voronezh but I couldn't find any panzer units in the area. There was a
concentration of mainly infantry and airbase units just east of Kursk. From Recon his panzer units are mainly
in the South and North.

(in reply to SparkleyTits)
Post #: 314
T22 - 12/17/2017 8:46:44 AM   
tyronec

T22.
Mud is over and we have snow this turn and forecasted for next.

We lost one and a third infantry divisions in the mud. I had underestimated the reduction in combat value of units cut off for a couple of turns (and should have protected my flanks better in the first place). Their face CV was OK but as shown by the combat results their real CV must have been a lot less. Morale and fatigue were OK.

In the north we resume the attack. The soviets have deployed with a weak front line and three-stacks behind so there in not much chance of a pocket anywhere. However we do get a lot of routs (over 20 for the turn). A small breakthrough towards Gorky advancing 40 miles, elsewhere about a hex or two.

Voronezh area. The pocket is relieved without difficulty and we threaten to make a small pocket around Lipetsk.

Elsewhere we just dig in.

Am only showing these two areas as the rest of the map is defensive and don't want to show my deployment, so will leave the rest to Grognard.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 315
Soviet GT 22 - 12/17/2017 11:39:59 AM   
Grognard1812

Soviet GT 22

As forecast the weather is snow in all weather zones. Snow is also forecast for next turn.

All quiet in the Rostov area.

The encircled German units easily brushed aside the Soviet units on the western side of the encirclement.
A picture of the Voronezh area at the beginning of GT 22.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 316
RE: Soviet GT 22 - 12/17/2017 11:47:00 AM   
Grognard1812

The Voronezh area at the end of GT 22.

The Soviet army cautiously followed the German units moving west.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 317
RE: Soviet GT 22 - 12/17/2017 11:53:44 AM   
Grognard1812

West of Gorky, two panzer corps comprising 4 panzer divisions and 2 motorized divisions pierced the Soviet defenses,
creating a breakthrough in the direction of Gorky. Picture at the beginning of GT 22.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 318
RE: Soviet GT 22 - 12/17/2017 12:03:13 PM   
Grognard1812

Assisted by the arrival of the 1st Shock Army, the supply corridor leading to the 2 panzer corps was successfully
narrowed, reducing the supply delivery next turn to the two panzer corps. Again General Zhukov led the assault
by the newly confident Soviet Army.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 319
RE: Soviet GT 22 - 12/17/2017 12:06:11 PM   
Grognard1812

Situation at the end of GT 22 in the Gorky area. Two more snow turns before the blizzard turns start.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 320
RE: Soviet GT 22 - 12/17/2017 3:08:45 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognard1812

Situation at the end of GT 22 in the Gorky area. Two more snow turns before the blizzard turns start.

Very nice :). You have the German entrenchment levels screen shots by chance?

****Your units look to be in good shape too from the screen shots. The entrenchment level and depth of entrenchment for the Germans is going to tell us a great deal. Just make sure you have built extra RR engineers to repair the RR doing the blizzard turns. I always put mine in Stavka and they always do a really nice job of deployment for them *****

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 12/17/2017 3:11:57 PM >

Post #: 321
RE: Soviet GT 22 - 12/17/2017 9:52:43 PM   
Crackaces

Just to say HLYA I requested the fort levels off .. only that I could not assess what kinds of units were surrounded ;)

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 322
RE: Soviet GT 22 - 12/18/2017 2:48:23 AM   
Grognard1812

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

****Your units look to be in good shape too from the screen shots. The entrenchment level and depth of entrenchment for the Germans is going to tell us a great deal. Just make sure you have built extra RR engineers to repair the RR doing the blizzard turns. I always put mine in Stavka and they always do a really nice job of deployment for them *****

I don't have any screen shots from GT 22 with entrenchment levels but I did take some screen shots from GT 23 with
entrenchment levels of the Gorky and Rostov area. I will post them once I receive GT 24 from Tyronec.
I have a total of 10 RR construction brigades attached to STAVKA, with STAVKA being south of Gorky.
Do you think 10 is enough? Thank-you for the advice.

Post #: 323
RE: Soviet GT 22 - 12/18/2017 3:01:40 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't have any screen shots from GT 22 with entrenchment levels but I did take some screen shots from GT 23 with
entrenchment levels of the Gorky and Rostov area. I will post them once I receive GT 24 from Tyronec.
I have a total of 10 RR construction brigades attached to STAVKA, with STAVKA being south of Gorky.
Do you think 10 is enough? Thank-you for the advice.

Thank you. Full blizzard is really tough if the German isn't prepared for it & I was just curious to see what the German had planned is all :). So you don't have to worry since your Winter offense is coming soon.

I just like putting the RR construction workers in Stavka since Stavka will send them all over the map. I'm sure others probably have a better take where to place them. But I think 10 should be enough, just look at where you are going to be pushin and guesstimate what you may need. That is just my 2 cents since I'm really not that good of a Soviet player.

Again thank you both for a interesting game and more to come.

Post #: 324
RE: Soviet GT 22 - 12/18/2017 1:50:10 PM   
Balou

quote:

The Gorky Episode could provide even more fun than Tambov. Mud lasts only 4 turns, but Blizzard 12 turns.

“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher

Post #: 325
RE: Soviet GT 22 - 12/18/2017 1:52:38 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

Thank you. Full blizzard is really tough if the German isn't prepared for it & I was just curious to see what the German had planned is all :). So you don't have to worry since your Winter offense is coming soon.

Curious what preparations would you expect to see at this point?

The Soviet team in the 2by3+ team game are looking for a new commander. It is a much lower commitment than going solo. A great way for a beginner to do their first game against others. And if you are an old hand come and show us your stuff. If you would like to join the team do post here or on any of the games other threads, or feel free to message Neogodhobo or myself.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 12/18/2017 1:53:45 PM >

Post #: 326
T23 - 12/18/2017 2:22:33 PM   
tyronec

T23
Snow as predicted and the same due for next turn.

In the North we the Soviets have partially surrounded the lead panzer units. We make a few attacks to tidy up the lines and make it easier to withdraw next turn.

Voronezh area we make a small pocket but are not able to seal it properly. Set up to make an attack on Litebsk next turn though it may be risky to carry it out with probable blizzard the following turn.

Do some air resupply, no interception from the Soviets despite all their shiny new capitalist aircraft.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 327
RE: Soviet GT 22 - 12/18/2017 2:43:34 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

quote:

The Soviet team in the 2by3+ team game are looking for a new commander. It is a much lower commitment than going solo. A great way for a beginner to do their first game against others. And if you are an old hand come and show us your stuff. If you would like to join the team do post here or on any of the games other threads, or feel free to message Neogodhobo or myself.

By the way this is worded it sounds like you have all the intel you need if you were playing. Im just mot as good as others on this forum. I on the other hand like to see what defense in depth there is if any. Imo ALL intelligence is worthwhile.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 328
RE: Soviet GT 22 - 12/18/2017 4:01:58 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

quote:

quote:

By the way this is worded it sounds like you have all the intel you need if you were playing. Im just mot as good as others on this forum. I on the other hand like to see what defense in depth there is if any. Imo ALL intelligence is worthwhile.

Ahh. TBH I have been having this debate with others in the team game of what blizzard preparations we should be doing. Seems to be quite a mix of ideas without one predominating. So was looking for other viewpoints.

Post #: 329
RE: Soviet GT 22 - 12/18/2017 4:38:52 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ahh. TBH I have been having this debate with others in the team game of what blizzard preparations we should be doing. Seems to be quite a mix of ideas without one predominating. So was looking for other viewpoints.

Then I misunderstood how you were saying it. I do that often. In full blizzard the Germans need to be cognitive of their losses and defense. Making sure that their units were topped off with replacements and not fatigued to hell going into the first few Blizzard turns because by the 2nd blizzard turn the effects hit full force as we know. Because you defiantly don't want to have divisions low on TOE shatter or route unnecessarily in later Blizzard turns. Key points in the front can be defended such as key railroad junctions to keep the Soviet at bay on supply is a good Strat. But at the same time the Germans imo should have built, at a minimum level one forts where they are going to hold at all costs in the rear and be prepared. A good recon a few turns before blizzard to see these entrenchment levels can give a good overview of what the Germans have planned and the Soviets can react accordingly. Just my 32,524 foot view of things & I'm sure others have better views than mine but that is how I look at things.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Soviet GT 20 Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI