Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario Editor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Scenario Editor Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario Editor - 12/16/2017 7:54:04 PM   
djr007

I just uploaded a hard-copy of the Admiral's Edition. Yet, when I try to open the editor, I find that all the scenario slots with the pre-loaded scenarios are blank. What to do?
Post #: 1
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/16/2017 8:17:01 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: djr007

I just uploaded a hard-copy of the Admiral's Edition. Yet, when I try to open the editor, I find that all the scenario slots with the pre-loaded scenarios are blank. What to do?

I'm confused. Uploaded where? What is a hard copy of an upload (which is a transfer of electronic data)?
Did you get the game on disk from Matrix? If so, did you follow that with a download of the latest official patch and then (if you wanted it), the Beta offered on the Tech Forum?

When in the Editor, did you use the click on the upper left File-Open to get the list of Scenarios?

Screenshots would help us understand what the problem is.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to djr007)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/16/2017 8:49:17 PM   
djr007

"hard-copy" as in a disk ordered from Matrix Games. "Uploaded" as in installed the game to my computer. As with the Editor, I left-clicked to open file, which took me to the scenarios, but all scenario slots are blank.

Could this be a Windows 10 issue? Also, I do not know how to produce a screen shot, but since the field is blank, what difference does it make?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/17/2017 4:01:31 AM   
witpqs

quote:

"hard-copy" as in a disk ordered from Matrix Games. "Uploaded" as in installed the game to my computer. As with the Editor, I left-clicked to open file, which took me to the scenarios, but all scenario slots are blank.

Could this be a Windows 10 issue? Also, I do not know how to produce a screen shot, but since the field is blank, what difference does it make?

For whatever reason the game did not install properly. Where did you select for it to install?

(in reply to djr007)
Post #: 4
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/17/2017 4:11:03 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Ok - it looks like you did the right things, it was just your terminology I was confused about.
The answer is probably that somehow you changed the normal location of the game while the Editor was installed in a different directory. My path (chosen by the install program) looks like this :

C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\SCEN

Try checking the properties (right click) on the icon the game puts on your desktop which starts the Autorun.exe MENU program, not the game or the editor themselves.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to djr007)
Post #: 5
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/17/2017 11:27:33 AM   
djr007

When I open the file, I get this path. C:\File\David\Desktop\Scen which opens into empty.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/17/2017 4:20:02 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

When I open the file, I get this path. C:\File\David\Desktop\Scen which opens into empty.

Just find where the files are and set the path the same.

(in reply to djr007)
Post #: 7
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/17/2017 5:25:27 PM   
djr007

Right. How do I do that?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/18/2017 6:26:23 AM   
BBfanboy

Use Windows File Explorer to look through your file system and find where the game is. Go down to the SCEN file folder. At the top of the screen will be the path to that folder. Copy it, then paste it in your shortcut to replace the other one.

(in reply to djr007)
Post #: 9
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/18/2017 2:24:51 PM   
djr007

I don't understand how this can be done.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/18/2017 3:05:43 PM   
BBfanboy

Here is what my file system looks like. Note the path to the SCEN folder at the top of the screen. Note that the editor is in the same folder as the scenario files.
Rather than use the Autorun.exe menu icon, you can right click on the AE Editor.exe program line, choose "Create Shortcut", and then drag the shortcut to your desktop. It will have all the right properties to find the Scenario files and edit them.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to djr007)
Post #: 11
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/19/2017 12:31:48 PM   
djr007

I open my scenario editor and get this: Users/All Users/David/Default/Default User/Public

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/19/2017 3:55:32 PM   
BBfanboy

Just find where the scenario files are in your actual game. Make your editor look there.
Open Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer - that's a web browser) and click on the C:\ item on the left. That is your main hard drive. Expand it to show all the folders. Look for Matrix Games. Keep expanding folders and sub folders until your find your scenario files.

It may be a bit late to ask, but did you actually get a successful game installation? If you just copied the files on the DVD without running the install program you would have the kind of file path you showed.

(in reply to djr007)
Post #: 13
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/19/2017 5:31:21 PM   
djr007

I followed your instructions, created the shortcut, but still no luck. Does it matter that the Editor app lacks the exe suffix?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 14
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/19/2017 5:45:30 PM   
witpqs

quote:

I followed your instructions, created the shortcut, but still no luck. Does it matter that the Editor app lacks the exe suffix?

Here is what they look like in my SCEN folder.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to djr007)
Post #: 15
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/19/2017 6:53:21 PM   
djr007

Mine looks the same, except there is no .exe

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 16
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/19/2017 6:59:32 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Mine looks the same, except there is no .exe

That is your Windows folder settings. By default Windows is set to hide/not show extensions for "known file types". You can change that if you like. If you can't figure it out search for help.

(in reply to djr007)
Post #: 17
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/19/2017 8:06:22 PM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 10:58:34 AM >

(in reply to djr007)
Post #: 18
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/20/2017 6:04:56 PM   
djr007

At the risk of incurring wrath, who's help should I be seeking and what questions should I ask?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 19
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/20/2017 6:42:26 PM   
Zorch

quote:

At the risk of incurring wrath, who's help should I be seeking and what questions should I ask?

"If you have to ask, then you can't afford it."

(in reply to djr007)
Post #: 20
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/20/2017 7:13:42 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Relax, I think chemkid was just expressing frustration that so many people seem to have little knowledge about the computer they use every day. For things like changing Windows file displays you should be able to find (via Google or some other search engine) tutorial articles with pictures.

(in reply to djr007)
Post #: 21
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/20/2017 7:48:27 PM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 10:58:28 AM >

(in reply to djr007)
Post #: 22
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/25/2017 12:57:42 PM   
djr007

The path that I have for the scenario editor is C:/desktop/All Users/David/Default/Default Users/Public. How do I change that?

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 23
RE: Scenario Editor - 12/25/2017 3:29:13 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

The path that I have for the scenario editor is C:/desktop/All Users/David/Default/Default Users/Public. How do I change that?

Ok, there's the problem. You appear to have moved the Scenario Editor .exe file to the desktop instead of creating a shortcut to it. Confirm this by left clicking once on it and it should show the file name (rather than an icon title without the .exe).
The Editor should be in the WITP-AE Scen file folder as shown in my path.

Firstly, start up Windows Explorer (the icon with a file folder in a metal desktop holder, likely located on the bottom of your screen). Keep it in a window about half the size of the screen so you can see both desktop and file system.
Second, starting at the C: drive, navigate to the Matrix Games folder and then the WITP-AE folder and then to the SCENARIO or SCEN folder. Expand the folder if you wish to see the scenario files are there.
Thirdly, position the window box so you can see both the Scenario Editor file on the desktop and the SCEN folder in the window box. Left click and HOLD on the Editor file on the desktop and drag it to the SCEN folder.
Fourth, after the file is in the folder, right click on it to bring up a list of choices and choose Create Shortcut. This will create a shortcut ICON with the correct path already in it.
Fifth, drag that ICON (not the .exe file) to your desktop and drop it there. You can now close the file explorer window, drag the Editor icon to where you want it on the desktop and launch the Editor with a double click.

(in reply to djr007)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Scenario Editor Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI