Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT... Military Board Games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT... Military Board Games Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT... Military Board Games - 12/26/2017 8:46:37 PM   
Big B

Just wondering how many on this forum are familiar with and interested in two subjects;

1) Old cardboard counter board games like Avalon Hill used to produce...

2) World War One combat...

I'm just using this as an abstract 'taking the pulse' poll....

B

Post #: 1
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/26/2017 8:51:48 PM   
btd64

Yes. Very familiar....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 2
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/26/2017 9:25:58 PM   
rustysi

Familiar, have dozens of old games. Would like to set up the Longest Day again if I get a chance. Oh, yeah I just thought of another, TSS (Terrible Swift Sword).

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 3
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/26/2017 9:26:27 PM   
HansBolter

I have a collection of those old boardgames numbering somewhere between one and two hundred (if you count the folio games).

At least a few of them are WWI games.

Hans

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 4
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/26/2017 9:28:16 PM   
Kursk1943

1) started wargaming in the 80ies with the Avalon Hill series
2) No wargaming but lots of reading about the Great War

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 5
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/26/2017 9:30:42 PM   
JeffroK

Not an AH (TM) fan, more into SPI.

Despite many cullings I've got about 100 including folios.

No-one ever did a good 1914-18 game, though there area few good battle/campaign games around.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 6
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/26/2017 9:35:53 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Both.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 7
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/26/2017 9:37:14 PM   
Rogue187

Three words: Advanced Squad Leader

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 8
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/26/2017 10:00:23 PM   
netjam99

War at Sea was my favorite. also had War in the Pacific and Panzer Leader.

For WWI I had Jutland.

(in reply to Rogue187)
Post #: 9
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/26/2017 10:08:56 PM   
inqistor

I have few dozen old paper board-games. Even few for WWI era. From new one - Paths of Glory is quite interesting.

As for combat, I recommend "Infanterie Greift An" by Rommel. Really eye opening about infantry tactics, and especially use (or lack of) artillery in support. And damn, you won't believe how trench warfare actually looked in reality!

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 10
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 12:12:24 AM   
jgsIII

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

Just wondering how many on this forum are familiar with and interested in two subjects;

B

Avalon Hill, S&T, GMT, Columbia Games - had over 200 titles at peak. Favorites Pacific Victory, Command and Colors, Twilight Struggle, 1914. Play some of these via Vassal when I get a change...

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 11
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 12:24:20 AM   
John 3rd

Flattop. ASL. Others I cannot remember. STILL have several copies of Flattop.

Don't remember any WWI games other then Diplomacy.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to jgsIII)
Post #: 12
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 12:36:19 AM   
InfiniteMonkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

B

1. Yes. My current interest is Fighting Wings Series by J.D. Webster, but I started playing with AFD, Rise and Decline, and a few others.
2. Not so much.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 13
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 1:15:48 AM   
pnzrgnral

1. Had most of the AH titles; my first was "Blitzkrieg," which was a Xmas gift in '70 when I was 10(!). Of course, AH was the "go to" brand, since my hometown was Baltimore. Sadly, decades later, I got rid of all my old boxed games after the umpteenth time I made a military transfer and grew tired of having so much stuff to pack and unpack - plus, computer games had since come out and they were getting better and more convenient to play vs board games.
2. I seem to recall one WW1 game I played but it was a Milton-Bradley(?) aerial dogfighting game, prior to my delving into true board wargames. Don't recall the title though.

Rangers Lead The Way!
Sua Sponte

(in reply to InfiniteMonkey)
Post #: 14
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 1:49:16 AM   
Canoerebel

Avalon Hill had a WWI dogfighting game. I'm not positive of the name, but Red Barron might be it. I have it in a closet.

I have perhaps 20 AH games and a few others, including the magnificent Terrible Swift Sword (Gettysburg regimental-level game). My collection includes Advanced Third Reich, Empire of the Rising Sun, 1776, Blitzkrieg, Tobruk, The Longest Day (not sure that's AH), Pacific War, Wooden Ships and Iron Men, Here Come the Rebels, Midway, Over the Reich, Panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz.

I didn't have anybody to play with, except my father on a very few occasions. We had some fun playing Midway. In college, I played some Third Reich and A3R head-to-head, which was a lot of fun. Then there was a way to play A3R, ERS and the comb (Global War Y2K) via email, which I did for several years. That was fun too. I moved from that to Fighting Flattops, a basic but fun online Coral Sea game. When Fighting Flattops went defunct for awhile (returning as a pay game), I started looking for the "next thing" and came across Uncommon Valor. The rest, as they say, is history. Or it was destiny. Or both. Has there been any better series in history than UV, WitP, and AE? Can't be.

(in reply to pnzrgnral)
Post #: 15
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 1:52:46 AM   
spence

Started playing board wargames by AH in 1962 or 63 with "Bismarck", "Waterloo", "Uboat" and "Tactics 2" and "Midway". Can't really remember which was 1st etc since it was so long ago. For a while various board wargames were something of "the thing" in my neighborhood so also played "Conflict" (Parker Brothers), "American Heritage Civil War", "Broadside" and "Dogfight" (all by Milton Bradley?). The first "real" WW1 game I ever played was "1914" by AH. I have to admit that 1) I always wanted it to be neat and 2) it was not, it was boring (Oh well). Sometime or other I got into SPI. Their "1918" game was fun. Unfortunately that can't be said of most.

Although I still own a few boardgames the advent of good computer games has relegated them to closet in the spare room

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 16
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 3:09:58 AM   
geofflambert

I have a friend who made his own boardgames. He researched battles heavily to get the maps right and painted his own pieces. The bulk of such games I played were made by him. He's still at it except without the cardboard and using The Operational Art of War system. He has an Eastern Front game he is still playtesting and is nearly done (but not playtested yet) with a 1914 game, both fronts. Nearly all the games I've played over the years are Napoleonic, US Civil War, WWI and WWII. I played a Crimean War game and some other odds and ends like that.

I left something out, he's really a stickler about TOE and puts a lot of effort into the research for that.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 12/27/2017 3:14:41 AM >

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 17
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 3:17:37 AM   
Mark VII

AH Richthofen's War was out in the 70's, and before that was AH 1914.

My first game was Luftwaffe in 1970 I think. Had a couple of buddies in the neighborhood and we also played Africa Corps, Midway, Battle of the Bulge and when SPI came out with USN I was fore ever hooked on "Pacific" games. We played that till we wore out the map and had to buy another. Then the monster games came out, War in the East, War in the West, War in Europe, Highway to the Reich, the GDW Europa series and then of course, War in the Pacific.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 18
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 3:24:37 AM   
Mark VII

One of my friends had Jutland. We would have it setup for days on his basement floor crawling around moving the ship columns. Unfortunately one of his cats liked playing hockey with the ship markers.

quote:

ORIGINAL: netjam99

For WWI I had Jutland.

(in reply to netjam99)
Post #: 19
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 3:25:01 AM   
geofflambert

One time he made a Jutland game. He had a couple of sawhorses with some 4x8 sheets of plywood and particle board laying across them for the table. There were four of us and as I recall I was Beatty. We had a communication system so that things would get scrambled. I remember sending messages like "I say, Jellicoe old fig ..." It was great fun.

Maybe I said "Jelly, old fig ..."

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 12/27/2017 3:38:30 AM >

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 20
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 4:03:05 AM   
geofflambert

The first war game I ever played was AH or Strategic Simulations or something. I was playing against my older (and still smarter) brother the battle of Borodino. I had never played a wargame before but I examined the game and determined, as the Russian, I could block all the paths up the heights behind the Great Redoubt on the Russian right with just an artillery battery and a single battalion of infantry. This I did and moved the rest of my forces on the right, save the Cossacks, to the center and crushed him. The game was too simplistic, of course. I played that battle with my friend's version of it on both sides and won not once.

Post #: 21
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 4:07:47 AM   
John 3rd

Forgot about 3rd Reich and Bismarck. Those were fun games...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

Post #: 22
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 5:07:15 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

I have a collection of those old boardgames numbering somewhere between one and two hundred (if you count the folio games).

At least a few of them are WWI games.

Me too. I've not touched them for years and have considered getting rid as I'll never play them again.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 23
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 1:50:15 PM   
USSAmerica

I have a box with Third Reich, Squad Leader and Cross of Iron, and Second Fleet still packed away. It's been a very long time since I had them out, but I loved playing all of them. My biggest wish for a new computer game would be a modern update of Third Reich.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 24
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 1:58:24 PM   
jamesjohns

First game I owned was tactics II when in middle school. In the 80's in high school/college played Advanced Squad Leader, War int eh Pacific, Third Reich, Panzer leader, King Maker, Casear at Alesia, and many others. (Along with D&D) Still own ASL and many of the expansion games, several other Avalon Hill games.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 25
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 3:19:53 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I have perhaps 20 AH games and a few others, including the magnificent Terrible Swift Sword (Gettysburg regimental-level game).

Thought that was SPI, fits on a 4x8 sheet of plywood?

quote:

The Longest Day (not sure that's AH),

Yes,AH.

First game (besides Risk and the Milton Bradleys') was 'Guadalcanal'(AH). Friend of mine had 'D-Day'. Played them for days at a time. Had '1914' and 'Jutland', remember trading one or both with a friend for 'Anzio'. Still have one WWI game, 'Guns of August' might be the name.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to jamesjohns)
Post #: 26
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 3:23:31 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Avalon Hill had a WWI dogfighting game. I'm not positive of the name, but Red Barron might be it. I have it in a closet.

I have perhaps 20 AH games and a few others, including the magnificent Terrible Swift Sword (Gettysburg regimental-level game). My collection includes Advanced Third Reich, Empire of the Rising Sun, 1776, Blitzkrieg, Tobruk, The Longest Day (not sure that's AH), Pacific War, Wooden Ships and Iron Men, Here Come the Rebels, Midway, Over the Reich, Panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz.

I didn't have anybody to play with, except my father on a very few occasions. We had some fun playing Midway. In college, I played some Third Reich and A3R head-to-head, which was a lot of fun. Then there was a way to play A3R, ERS and the comb (Global War Y2K) via email, which I did for several years. That was fun too. I moved from that to Fighting Flattops, a basic but fun online Coral Sea game. When Fighting Flattops went defunct for awhile (returning as a pay game), I started looking for the "next thing" and came across Uncommon Valor. The rest, as they say, is history. Or it was destiny. Or both. Has there been any better series in history than UV, WitP, and AE? Can't be.

Guadalcanal game I have is the spiritual successor to Midway. I liked it.

Other than that, I haven't played any cardboard counter wargames in the same vein. When I was a kid (early 90s), that was exactly the kind of thing wargame enthusiasts were putting into computer form. Some of the early computer wargames were very good.

Empire 2: The Art of War was probably my favorite. It didn't have much and didn't need much for graphics - just a visual representation of what was going on in-game. It was completely moddable and easy to do your own things. The engine was designed to let you (or your in-person hotseat opponent) play any battle from any era, real or imagined, because you could set every parameter of any unit you wished to create. And you could create your own maps.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 27
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 3:27:27 PM   
jbdenney

I cut my teeth on the old AH game on the invasion of France (France 1940?) Became a SPI fanatic. Especially the "Monster" Games. I had the original "War in the East" and then when they reworked "WitE" and turned it into "War in Europe". Also got "War in the Pacific", Highway to the Reich", "Battle Over Britain" and the infamous "Campaign for North Africa".

Not to mention "World in Flames", "Squad Leader", "The Longest Day", and "Star Fleet Battles".

As self defense I had to Acquire and learn to use "Cyberboard" to convert the games to computer format.

Those were the good old days.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 28
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 3:31:20 PM   
offenseman

Started in the late 70s with the AH and SPI games. I still have many of them. No WWI games though

Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.

(in reply to jbdenney)
Post #: 29
RE: OT... Military Board Games - 12/27/2017 3:32:41 PM   
jbdenney

BTW - the comment above about "Terrible Swift Sword" Is an SPI Game - as was the 4 map SPI "Waterloo" (can't remember if that is the name). I built "Cyberboard" version of both of those as well as "The Longest Day".

(in reply to jbdenney)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT... Military Board Games Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI