Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mac OS

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Mac OS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mac OS - 12/27/2017 4:08:44 PM   
eastburn

Truly love this game and very frustrated since updated my pc to windows 10. Miss it so much thinking about having geek said come help install it. My question is that if all the tweaks posted here are used can be game run smoothly in windows 10?

Can the game run smoothly in Mac OS?

Ty in advance
Post #: 1
RE: Mac OS - 12/27/2017 5:25:05 PM   
Korvar

WitPAE can run smoothly on both Windows 10 and Mac OS.

The key is to add the right command switches to the game shortcut (not the .exe file, the shortcut TO the .exe file).

If you right-click the shortcut and go to "Properties", you can add switches to the very end of the "Target" field (after the game path which is in quotes).

For example, I use the following switches on Windows 10:
 -wd -pxf1920 -pyf1080 -archive -deepColor -multiaudio -dd_sw -altFont

The really important one for the game to work well in Windows 10 is -dd_sw.

(in reply to eastburn)
Post #: 2
RE: Mac OS - 12/27/2017 6:32:12 PM   
eastburn

Would you be so kind to list the commands I need to enter

I know that is asking a lot, but I have seen so many it is confusing for the casual gamer to follow the changes needed for windows 10. If I download it to Mac is there any changes that need to be made or can I just start playing using the Mac OS? Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer this.

Have you ever asked Gary if he though about doing an updated version. It is one of the top matrix releases but getting long in the tooth.

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 3
RE: Mac OS - 12/27/2017 6:51:28 PM   
Lecivius

WIN10 is starting to cause problems. There is a discussion in the tech forum on it.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4390639

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to eastburn)
Post #: 4
RE: Mac OS - 12/27/2017 9:53:52 PM   
Korvar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hammerdamage

Would you be so kind to list the commands I need to enter

You can start with what I posted earlier:
 -wd -pxf1920 -pyf1080 -archive -deepColor -multiaudio -dd_sw -altFont

Of course change the resolution settings to the resolution of your monitor. You can also use -fd instead of -wd if you'd like fullscreen mode. The 'd' is not necessary in either case, but it enables daily (in-game) autosaves, which is nice.

The -dd_sw switch is the important one for Windows 10. Some players have reported that removing -dd_sw is best on version 1709 (Fall Creator's Update) of Windows 10. See the threat that Lecivius posted.

(in reply to eastburn)
Post #: 5
RE: Mac OS - 12/27/2017 10:15:01 PM   
eastburn

Not sure why someone doesn’t do a step by step post of what to do to run the game smoothly in windows 10. Be much appreciated for by people that aren’t even sure what a command switch.

As far as Mac do you just download the game onto your iMac and start playing or is there a special version for Apple os.
I would be happy to pay someone to go through step by step how to run the game. Plz pm me if interested and prefer someone on in the states that can talk by phone

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 6
RE: Mac OS - 12/27/2017 10:19:23 PM   
RogerJNeilson

You cannot run AE on a Mac on that operating system. It is not possible. You either have to boot up a windows partition or use an emulator. I use Parallels and it runs fine in there as I have it running on Windows 7. I run all my Windows games that way as I can afford a copy of Parallels and I like to have the access to Mac at the same time as I am playing.

Roger

< Message edited by Roger Neilson 3 -- 12/27/2017 10:20:02 PM >

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to eastburn)
Post #: 7
RE: Mac OS - 12/28/2017 5:51:03 AM   
wdolson

There are some people who have gotten AE running on Linux and WINE, but you would have to install that on the Mac. Roger is right MacOS is incapable of running AE natively.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 8
RE: Mac OS - 12/28/2017 3:57:35 PM   
Korvar

Yeah, I should have been more specific on the Mac OS part - runs smoothly via virtual environment*.

The bottom line is that WitPAE should run on modern machines; it's just a matter of proper configuration.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 9
RE: Mac OS - 12/29/2017 1:28:26 AM   
eastburn

As I said I would be happy to pay. Is PayPal someone willing to walk me through step by step how to get it to run smoothly in windows 10 with booth camp. I could also revert back to windows 7 if you feel that is the best way to proceed to make it run smoothly.

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 10
RE: Mac OS - 12/29/2017 2:11:16 AM   
Korvar

Are you able to get either Windows 10 or Windows 7 working with boot camp on your own? I don't have access to nor do I regularly use a Mac, so I wouldn't know the step-by-step instructions off the top of my head.

From some quick searching on the forums, it appears that there may be some issues with boot camp and the newest Mac OS, High Sierra - specifically with the use of external GPUs. It seems that Parallels has been successfully used to run WitPAE, but it isn't free.

It wouldn't hurt to try Windows 7 with boot camp - that way you don't have to worry about turning off updates and/or ver 1709 of Win 10 throwing you a curveball.

(in reply to eastburn)
Post #: 11
RE: Mac OS - 12/30/2017 5:49:16 AM   
eastburn

I am playing on a 2017 iMac but not sure what Mac OS I have. Bought it from Apple in July if that helps. I have bootcamp installed and windows 10..... can I just install window7 via bootcamp? Or just install parallels and I can then run the game by that without changing everything? Which route is the best?

I have spent a good 4 months updating a scenario adding all the correct airbases, army bases, marine bases, shipyards and navy bases and am heartbroken it won’t run correctly since I went to windows 10

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 12
RE: Mac OS - 12/30/2017 4:10:40 PM   
Korvar

You probably have Sierra or High Sierra - most likely High Sierra since the Mac OS has an update feature, so even if your iMac came with an earlier version, it probably has since updated to High Sierra.

If you have bootcamp installed already with Windows 10, I'd say that's a good starting point. Part of the (potential) problem with virtual machines is that they require a separate license for the OS you run. So let's eliminate Win 10 as a contender before you buy a Win 7 license (or perhaps you have an old Win 7 retail license laying around).

I've read a bit online and parallels seems to be a more surefire way to get WitPAE working; that said, it's an $80 investment so there's no harm in giving bootcamp a go.

Once you have Win 10 booted with bootcamp, try installing WitPAE if you haven't already. Create a shortcut for War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe and edit it by right-clicking and going to properties:

Use the following switches in the "Target" field like seen above, beginning one space after the last quote in the file path:

-f -pxf1920 -pyf1080 -deepColor -dd_sw -archive -multiaudio -altFont -skipVideo

(in reply to eastburn)
Post #: 13
RE: Mac OS - 12/30/2017 11:01:09 PM   
Reg

As I have stated in another thread another option is to run WITP-AE under an earlier (known working) version of Windows inside a virtual machine.

Options include VMWare Fusion (commercial product) and Oracle Virtualbox (Free GPL licience). These both have MacOS host versions that will run under your primary OS without needing to be setup in a separate partition like Bootcamp. They will however still require a licensed copy of the Windows operating system.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 14
RE: Mac OS - 12/31/2017 2:25:50 AM   
Reg

AE running on a WinXP VirtualBox VM. It is a Win8.1 host but could be run on MacOS or Linux as well.

Looks like the Virtual box doesn't support Win98 any more but probably no great loss as I think that version of DirectX was a bit problematic anyway.

Interestingly running AE this way as a VM has advantages as it launches OK on the non-main display and I can take snapshots or freeze gameplay. The VM also allows AE to continue running when focus is moved to another program (such as tracker or spreadsheets etc....). Bonus

You can also use XPlite to strip down unnecessary features of the client OS to make it run a bit quicker too....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Reg -- 12/31/2017 2:31:16 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 15
RE: Mac OS - 1/1/2018 2:43:08 PM   
Mikawa

Get parallel software and get a copy windows 7. I have new IMac with large screen. Works great

I tried wineskin and could get witp to run, but could not get it to display full screen.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 16
RE: Mac OS - 1/1/2018 2:48:20 PM   
Mikawa

If you decide to go that way, post as such and I’ll look up the switches to make it run full screen. You also have to limit the mac quad (or whatever it is) CPU with a switch.

(in reply to Mikawa)
Post #: 17
RE: Mac OS - 1/4/2018 1:49:52 AM   
eastburn

Get parallel software and get a copy windows 7. I have new IMac with large screen. Works great

Ok so I am getting windows 7 and parallel software. I will post once I have that installed. Thank you again for everyone’s help

(in reply to Mikawa)
Post #: 18
RE: Mac OS - 1/4/2018 5:48:02 AM   
Rio Bravo

Happy to learn that hopefully soon the game will run smoothly and properly for you.

Best Regards,

-Terry

"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven

(in reply to eastburn)
Post #: 19
RE: Mac OS - 1/6/2018 7:20:02 AM   
kbfchicago

Hammerdamage - see my recent posts on MAC in Tech forum if you are going to use Parallels, I'm running just fine under Win10 so no need to go Win7 if it is an extra expense for you... Kevin

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 20
RE: Mac OS - 1/6/2018 7:11:12 PM   
Mikawa

Try this in your windows shortcut running under parrallel. Works great for me.

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition Stockmod\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -skipVideo -dd_sw -cpu2 -deepColor -px1920 -py1080

(in reply to kbfchicago)
Post #: 21
RE: Mac OS - 1/6/2018 7:12:31 PM   
Mikawa

I'm running the beta so your directories might be different.

thx

(in reply to Mikawa)
Post #: 22
RE: Mac OS - 1/9/2018 4:45:08 AM   
boldrobot

I recently got WITP:AE working in wine on my MacBook Pro after a few weeks of on-and-off trial and error. I did a writeup for a dude on another forum so I'll paste it below, maybe save someone else all the time and effort. Although it was probably easier than learning to play this game...

Note that there was a link to download Wineskin Winery in step 1 that the forum won't let me post because my account is new or something.

1. Grab Wineskin Winery. This is what you will use to create the wine wrapper.

2. Open Wineskin Winery. You should see a list of installed engines (or maybe none will appear yet). If you click the little + below the list, you will get a list of options that will let you download the wine engine. The version I use is WS9CX15.3.1. Select that from the dropdown list and click the button to download and install it. Other versions may work too; I found a guy on the Matrix Games forums saying this one worked for him.

3. Click "Create New Blank Wrapper." Name the wrapper and create it. This should take under a minute. Once it is done, click the button to show the wrapper in the finder.

4. Right click on the wrapper and select "Show Package Contents." You should see 3 things: a folder called Contents, a shortcut called drive_c, and an app called Wineskin.

5. Open Wineskin. Click "Install Software." Click "Choose Setup Executable." Pick the WITP install .exe.

6. During the installation, you might be prompted to install a couple things into your wine wrapper (libraries or frameworks or something maybe?). I allowed this. Put in the serial number, etc.

7. The installation .exe is for version 1.0 of the game. You'll need to download the latest version from the Matrix Games website, which will be another .exe. To install this, repeat steps 4 through 6 (using the same wineskin you just used to install WITP), but choose the WITP updater .exe instead. This will update your game to the latest version.

8. Now you've got WITP AE installed, but if you try to run it now, it will probably run like ****. There are some settings you need to tweak to get it working right. This is the part that took me a ton of trial and error. I should emphasize that the settings below are just what worked for me, I don't really know what half of them mean or do.

9. Open the wineskin again and now you're going to go through the "Set Screen Options" and "Advanced" windows. Start with "Set Screen Options" and set the following:

- "Override Wine control of Screen Settings?": Automatic
- "Extra Gamma Correction": I have this on none, but it's probably just personal preference.
- "Use Mac Driver instead of X11": checked
- "Decorate windows": checked
- "Auto Detect GPU Info for Direct3D": unchecked (sidenote: After I upgraded my OS to 10.13, this single setting made the difference between not working at all and working fine. Why? Who knows. But for some reason this was the key.)
- "Use Direct3D Boost (if available): unchecked

You're done with this part now. Ignore the left part of the window; it's grayed out for me.

10. Now go to "Advanced." Let's start with the "Options" tab because it is simpler. Everything should be unchecked except "Map User Mac OS X folder in wrapper" and "Force use of wrappers quartz-wm for window decorations and not what is on the system." Check those two.

11. Now go to "Advanced" --> "Configuration." The first thing you need to make sure to do is to have Windows EXE point to "War in the Pacific Admirals Edition.exe" and not "autorun.exe." You should be able to navigate to these within the wine wrapper by clicking Browse, then Matrix Games --> the WITP folder --> selecting the .exe.

The difference is that autorun.exe will take you to a little launcher that lets you select the game, the manual (you can find this online anyway, if not just do the autorun.exe like once to open the PDF and then save it somewhere), an updater (doesn't work anyway), and a bunch of bullshit like links to the forum. None of this stuff is necessary and, importantly, any .exe flags you set won't work. More on those below. You need to point to the WITP .exe to use those.

(sidenote: the thing about pointing at the right .exe to get the .exe flags working right also took me forever to figure out.)

12. Still under "Configuration," time to set your .exe flags. These are options for the game that are important for both quality of life and to get it to run better. Enter the following into the "EXE Flags" field: -deepColor -skipVideo -dd_sw -cpu1 -dd_def -w -multiaudio

I'm not super sure what all of these do, but everyone seems to use them. The two "dd" ones apparently generally improve performance and make the interface less sluggish. cpu1 locks the game to use just one core, again improving performance for some reason. -skipvideo skips the opening video, which doesn't work on Mac anyway. -multiaudio you probably don't need since the sound doesn't work. -deepColor supposedly fixes some visual glitches.

The one you will probably interact with the most is -w. This makes the game run in a window. If you'd like to run it fullscreen instead, delete that and put -f.

You'll notice that the game runs at a tiny resolution. To change the resolution, use -px#### and -py#####. This works for both fullscreen or windowed. I read somewhere that you have to use a resolution that your monitor can do natively, and this seems to be accurate. the px/py functions didn't work when I set it to like 1200x800 (not a native setting for my monitor) but works great when I use -px1440 -py900, the native resolution (well, sort of, it's a retina display) of my laptop. If you want to run it at default resolution, just remove the px/py exe flag. Note that it might not apply the custom resolution until you are actually in a game, i.e., not in the menu.

That should be it. As I mentioned, it's not 100% perfect. The sound doesn't work. I suspect this is a fixable problem but the sound is kind of annoying anyway. There are occasional crashes. The game is good about autosaving and you can save while you are entering your orders for a turn, too. Just be reasonably mindful about saving your progress and you'll be fine.

(in reply to eastburn)
Post #: 23
RE: Mac OS - 1/10/2018 5:51:05 PM   
eastburn

Just wanted to give everyone an update. I did a Parallels 13 install with Windows 10 from my already Boot Camped Windows 10 installation. I was able to get the game running properly with a normal install and then just editing the compatibility settings for the game icon to "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings." The game runs at its native resolution settings and works great, as long as you do not tab out. Tabbing out, back to the higher settings in the OS causes it to have issues when you tab back. If you forget and tab out by habit, you can still save the game and then just exit and reload and all is well. I just wanted to thank everyone for your help!

(in reply to boldrobot)
Post #: 24
RE: Mac OS - 1/11/2018 9:33:34 AM   
Disco Duck

Thanks for the update. I was trying Wineskin but it just seems to complicated for me to set up. I might try it again later.

Edit. Two reasons why I don't Parallel. One, I would probably have to run windows ten and that is a night mare. Two, the Mac OS is unstable right now. They have found yet another major security bug so expect a new update soon.

< Message edited by Disco Duck -- 1/11/2018 12:01:16 PM >

There is no point in believing in things that exist. -Didactylos

(in reply to eastburn)
Post #: 25
RE: Mac OS - 1/12/2018 2:45:05 AM   
Mikawa

Windows 7 runs great with parallel. You can pick up copies cheap on eBay.

(in reply to Disco Duck)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Mac OS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI