Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/27/2017 4:18:40 AM   
Ragemaster9999

I wasn't sure where to merge the changes it's unclear. I ended up copying the contents of the compatibility patch to the distant world's beyond extended alpha folder in the customization(modding) subfolder. Not sure of that's right.

Also I can manually build bombers with the caleph fighter Bay unique module but the game always automatically decides to build only interceptors for some reason.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 451
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/31/2017 8:23:52 AM   
Tcby

I know it's not much compared to other players but I've put at least 500 hours into this game. After a long hiatus I decided to return and I assumed that nothing much had changed in the modding scene since my last check in 2016. I am stunned and thrilled to see that I was wrong. Your work here is remarkable and I can't wait to get home and boot up your version of DW. Wonderful work. I admire and deeply appreciate the time you've put into this unique effort, as well as your willingness to take on community requests.Thank you very much.

Edit: this wasnt meant to be a reply to ragemaster. Oops!

< Message edited by Tcby -- 12/31/2017 8:25:25 AM >

(in reply to Ragemaster9999)
Post #: 452
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/1/2018 9:39:24 AM   
Hanekem

I liked the mod, seems interesting and mininalist (and I like that adding tons of stuff not always is a good thing) but I am not too fond of the Star Grav wells, so can they be modded either reduced in AoE or dismissed completely? (it does render the Hyperdeny a bit of a moot tech for stations...)

< Message edited by Hanekem -- 1/1/2018 9:42:45 AM >

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 453
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/1/2018 1:02:28 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanekem

I liked the mod, seems interesting and mininalist (and I like that adding tons of stuff not always is a good thing) but I am not too fond of the Star Grav wells, so can they be modded either reduced in AoE or dismissed completely? (it does render the Hyperdeny a bit of a moot tech for stations...)

The Gravity Well feature can be turned off in the BaconSettings.txt file.
useStarGravityWells=false

(in reply to Hanekem)
Post #: 454
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/1/2018 1:21:55 PM   
Kingah

Am I the only one getting the exploration bug when the star gravity wells are turned off?
It's kind of a shame having to have the gravity wells on in order to play this amazing mod

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 455
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/1/2018 2:08:36 PM   
RogerBacon

Happy New Year!
Version 1.65 released!

Modified !loadtemplates to take a true/false parameter. true will include the player's empire. False is the default so you only need to add true if you want toe player's empire included.
!stockpile [amount] adds [amount] of every strategic resource to each empire's capital. Fun for RTS-style games where you don't want to manage resources too much . Yeah, you could do it wit hthe editor but this way you can keep the AI empires' location secret.
Some bug fixes.

And...

A new sort order for the shiplist screen! If you have not sorted your shiplist screen AND you have a ship or planet selected, the sort order for whatever you pick from the shiplist screen will be sorted by DISTANCE from the selected object. If you have sorted your shiplist it will continue to use the sorted order you selected. If you have nothing selected it will use default behavior. If you have sorted the list and want to go back to default sorting (which is based on build time) click on the column header with the empire flags. You will see the new distance sort order the next time you open the shiplist screen or change selection with the dropdown box.

I think this feature is going to be as popular as !note has been. So often I want to find the CLOSEST ship of a type to a specific location and now we can. Mining station under attack by a single pirate and its not worth diverting an entire fleet? Select the mining station, shiplist screen showing military ships and find the closest destroyer. Its as simple as that.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 456
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/1/2018 6:07:39 PM   
Nobody987

Hi RogerBacon,

Happy New Year!
thank you for the update looking forward to checking it out.
I have one plea that is mostly QoL change that would be great to have (at least for me :) ). My spies are 95% of time stealing research from other empires, but I always select missions for them because AI is choosing badly techs to steal. This means, canceling their current mission, drop-down selecting desired empire, drop-down selecting steal research and finally desired time frame for mission, and all of this times number of spies... Is it possible for you to set some defaults for drop-down controls? Personally, I would like to have mission type control to be set to steal research, and time frame to one year.
I suppose this is not too difficult to change, but then again I don't know how this part of GUI is coded (I guess they have predefined values in controls?).

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 457
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/1/2018 7:16:46 PM   
Tcby

Thanks for your hard work Roger. Sorting by distance is a great idea

(in reply to Nobody987)
Post #: 458
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/1/2018 7:51:37 PM   
aviper9

quote:

ORIGINAL: netie

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

It's really strange. I know a couple of people have this problem. Something is preventing the game from starting. I suspect it is something outside of the game such as an over aggressive anti virus program.
I'm not sure if I can help since there is no crash. The game just doesn't start. I would suggest posting your system specs and comparing with the other one or two people who have the same problem. Perhaps we can find a commonality.

Okay, current PC specs here:
Surface pro 2
Steam, Win10pro(64bit), i5-4200U, 8GB, intel HD 4400
--

tried to stop (not uninstalled) anti-virus software and it has not changed the issue.
I will try an another PC other time.

Thx anyway!

[EDIT] "Win10pro" -> "Win10pro(64bit)"

I am one of the folks having this issue, did you have any luck getting it to work on your windows 10 machine? I run windows 10 64bit, i7 3770k, 32gb ram and a nvidia 1080ti. ESET Smart Security is my AV. Have tried a few versions of the mod, it never loads anything but appears in task manager taking up exactly 21.4MB of ram.

I tried running it in safe mode but same issue. The only thing I haven't done yet is a reinstall of windows which I am getting close to doing as I really want to check this mod out.

< Message edited by aviper9 -- 1/1/2018 7:52:33 PM >

(in reply to netie)
Post #: 459
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/1/2018 8:18:44 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: aviper9
I am one of the folks having this issue, did you have any luck getting it to work on your windows 10 machine? I run windows 10 64bit, i7 3770k, 32gb ram and a nvidia 1080ti. ESET Smart Security is my AV. Have tried a few versions of the mod, it never loads anything but appears in task manager taking up exactly 21.4MB of ram.

I tried running it in safe mode but same issue. The only thing I haven't done yet is a reinstall of windows which I am getting close to doing as I really want to check this mod out.

In post #414 of this thread netie got it working on his Win 8.1 machine. I don't have windows 10 but I know some people had issues getting vanilla DWU to run in Windows 10. If the vanilla game runs for you I'm not sure what would cause the mod to not run.

(in reply to aviper9)
Post #: 460
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/1/2018 8:25:32 PM   
aviper9

quote:

quote:

In post #414 of this thread netie got it working on his Win 8.1 machine. I don't have windows 10 but I know some people had issues getting vanilla DWU to run in Windows 10. If the vanilla game runs for you I'm not sure what would cause the mod to not run.

Hey RogerBacon, yeah vanilla works fine. I'm hoping a reinstall of windows will do the trick.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 461
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/2/2018 1:49:03 AM   
aviper9

quote:

Hey RogerBacon, yeah vanilla works fine. I'm hoping a reinstall of windows will do the trick.

I went ahead and installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on another drive and pointed steam at my existing Distant Worlds install; Baconmod loading fine now. This rules out a hardware issue at least; the problems some of us are having appear to be related to Windows 10 or something we all have installed that is conflicting.

I am eventually going to reinstall Windows 10, so once I do that, I will report back with any further discoveries. For now I can enjoy the mod on Windows 7 dual boot :)

(in reply to aviper9)
Post #: 462
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/2/2018 6:40:25 AM   
Raagun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nobody987

Hi RogerBacon,

Happy New Year!
I have one plea that is mostly QoL change that would be great to have (at least for me :) ). My spies are 95% of time stealing research from other empires, but I always select missions for them because AI is choosing badly techs to steal. This means, canceling their current mission, drop-down selecting desired empire, drop-down selecting steal research and finally desired time frame for mission, and all of this times number of spies... Is it possible for you to set some defaults for drop-down controls? Personally, I would like to have mission type control to be set to steal research, and time frame to one year.
I suppose this is not too difficult to change, but then again I don't know how this part of GUI is coded (I guess they have predefined values in controls?).

OMG this please!!

Also I love full list of tradable mining bases but can it be sorted by name?

< Message edited by Raagun -- 1/2/2018 8:24:44 AM >

(in reply to Nobody987)
Post #: 463
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/2/2018 11:08:29 AM   
Hanekem

Got a couple of things that might be bugs, the Grav well is different for different ships in my current game (thought it was star related) so for construction ships they must reach the edge of the system to be able to FTL out, given their mass and relatively slowneess (due to the class requirement among other things) this makes building stations anoying.

For some reason, I made contact with a pirate faction who seems to only have holdings on the other edge of the map. yeah, well out of mutual reach, they've been annoyingly launching demo attack against my stations, I could pay them to shut them up, but... the whole thing is weird.

The ship counter might be off, or civilians are decommissioning civie ships I've built for them, but I am not certain (maybe they are still under construction, will have to check the spaceport)

(in reply to Raagun)
Post #: 464
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/2/2018 2:26:41 PM   
BlindOne

In the new build I keep getting this error, I think it is triggered by the news-message system. I seem to get it whenever my ships are under attack or whenever a spy has been caught. (don't hold me to this though, I'll take your instinct should lead you to the real cause since it is your baby we're talking about)

''Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index''

It just keeps repeating more and more after a while...say about 25 years in game and increases ever more often.

The game also seems alot less stable, not sure what is causing it. I did take out 8gb of ram but I didn't figure this game will use more than a few at best. I still have 8gb left. I'll try sticking it back in tonight to see if that matters.

I've had a few crashes now and that has never happened to me before, especially when I try to save...it just bugs out and the mouse moves at snail's pace across the screen and I can't do anything else other than reboot my entire computer...it won't even allow me to shut down the program through ctrl + alt + dlt or Alt + F4.

Did something sneek in? It is especially annoying that it keeps giving the error message because I love to run simulations of distant worlds in the background while I'm doing other things so I can see how the galaxy develops in mid stages but this bug keeps preventing the game from moving on in orderly fashion.

I am running a heavily modified version so I'll try to run a few simulations without all the mods and see how that goes...but this is a first for me since the 1.61 build. The 1.55 build worked fine for me.

< Message edited by BlindOne -- 1/2/2018 2:27:24 PM >

(in reply to Hanekem)
Post #: 465
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/2/2018 5:21:11 PM   
Kingah

Been trying to run the mod with the star gravity well turned off for a while now but can't seem to get it working.
Still getting the exploration bug I spoke of a few weeks ago.

It only happens when I play with the bacon mod. I think it has to do with the star gravity wells as it works perfectly
when I have them on, but not when off.
I am playing with the Beyond Extended Universe but still get the bug when I test without a mod.
Don't get the bug using the normal exe.

Normally when you enter a system it immediately shows up as "explored", you just cant see the resources of the planets,
but instead none of the planets are selectable and the systems remains as "unexplored" even when the ship has scanned all planets. And the few cases where the system does register as explored (which I have yet to figure out why they do) they are still "striped" as if I have no presence in it.
When the system has no planets or it's a gas cloud the ship just bugs out and get stuck.
Furthermore instead of going to the star of the unexplored system it goes directly to a planet in the system which I am pretty sure they don't usually do but I may be mistaken.

Any idea what is causing this (as it seems I am the only one with the problem) and how I can fix it?

< Message edited by Kingah -- 1/2/2018 5:37:22 PM >

(in reply to BlindOne)
Post #: 466
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/2/2018 5:35:43 PM   
BlindOne

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kingah

Been trying to run the mod with the star gravity well turned off for a while now but can't seem to get it working.
Still getting the exploration bug I spoke of a few weeks ago.

It only happens when I play with the bacon mod. I think it has to do with the star gravity wells as it works perfectly
when I have them on, but not when off.
I am playing with the Beyond Extended Universe but still get the bug when I test without a mod.
Don't get the bug using the normal exe.

Normally when you enter a system it immediately shows up as "explored", you just cant see the resources of the planets,
but instead none of the planets are selectable and the systems remains as "unexplored" even when the ship has scanned
all planets.
When the system has no planets or it's a gas cloud the ship just bugs out and get stuck.
Furthermore instead of going to the star of the unexplored system it goes directly to a planet in the system which I am
pretty sure they don't usually do but I may be mistaken.

Any idea what is causing this (as it seems I am the only one with the problem) and how I can fix it?

I had the same bug but only if I started it from the Steam Launcher. When I made a separate shortcut and references the modified bacon exe separately this bug disappeared strangely enough. I don't have this problem anymore.

Okay I just tested the game out with just the bacon mod and after about 20-25 years I still get the same bug I posted about earlier.

"Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index"

This is with a fresh install of Distant Worlds and bacon 1.61 on top of it running the bacon mod.

I'll try again with the 1.65 version released yesterday, I'll keep you updated. I'll also try running it for an extended period with the 1.55 exe if I still have it laying around somewhere. You'll hear from me again sir. I may not be able to eat Bacon but I'll dig into your mod

< Message edited by BlindOne -- 1/2/2018 5:59:32 PM >

(in reply to Kingah)
Post #: 467
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/2/2018 5:49:31 PM   
Kingah

Yeah, you told me the same thing last time as well ;P I've tried both launching via a seperate steam shortcut, as well as directly from the exe but still get the bug.

< Message edited by Kingah -- 1/2/2018 5:52:45 PM >

(in reply to BlindOne)
Post #: 468
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/2/2018 7:14:33 PM   
Tcby

The grav well variability isn't a bug, its a feature of the mod. The grav well range is based on ship weight. This provides a tactical reason to make ships smaller than your max.

I like it.

(in reply to Hanekem)
Post #: 469
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/2/2018 9:23:12 PM   
Hanekem

and screws the support ships, given that early game constructors seem to be at full system well. moreover, seems it does weird things to the pathfinding, with ships moving to the edge to jump back to their target (and in some cases to very questionable advantage)

Quite frankly, I could go for planetary wells, assuming workable, but as it stands, the feature doesn't feels "right"

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 470
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/2/2018 10:51:55 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nobody987

Hi RogerBacon,

Happy New Year!
. Is it possible for you to set some defaults for drop-down controls? Personally, I would like to have mission type control to be set to steal research, and time frame to one year.

I agree that setting those dropdowns for a spy mission is a real pain. I looked in to doning something like you suggest at one time and I couldn't get it working. That's why I made teh !spy shortcut. Its far from perfect because the tech stolen is random but it was the best I could do. That, along with the ability to ransom back my captured spies make me a lot more willing to roll the dice on reckless random tech stealing missions.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tcby

Thanks for your hard work Roger. Sorting by distance is a great idea

You are welcome. Yeah, I was tired of having to search for the nearest destroyer every time a mining station was under attack.

quote:

I am eventually going to reinstall Windows 10, so once I do that, I will report back with any further discoveries. For now I can enjoy the mod on Windows 7 dual boot :)

Good to know you can play it. Yeah, I'm dreading my eventual upgrade to Windows 10. Maybe I can hold out for Windows 11? I just found out the hard way the latest version of SQL studio doesn't work with Windows 7. Windows 10 is in my future. :(

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raagun

That's been something I've thought about too. I have no idea what the default sort order is. It's probably based on construction date. I'll look in to it but, as usual, no promises.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanekem

Got a couple of things that might be bugs, the Grav well is different for different ships ...

The ship counter might be off...

As Tcby said, the different gravity effects for different ships is based on size as a ratio of max buildable size. Like most Bacon Mod features it can be disabled in BaconSettings.txt. Set smallShipsJumpSooner==false to make all ships be affected the same.
If you want to reduce the effect of gravity wells you can simulate that by changing your race settings for ShipSizeFactorCivilian and ShipSizeFactorMilitary to double their value and then limit yourself to only building up to the normal size. That will reduce the gravity well effect on your ships by half.

(in reply to Hanekem)
Post #: 471
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/3/2018 2:31:21 AM   
RogerBacon

quote:

I thought it would be difficult since there are multiple types of items in the list but it turned out to be easy.

(in reply to Raagun)
Post #: 472
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/3/2018 10:57:31 PM   
BlindOne

Alright I tried 3 different games with each version for a total of 12 games running each for aproximately 75 years. That's bacon 1.55, 1.61 and 1.65 and all of them except for bacon 1.55 end up giving me out of range errors.

"Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.

It seems to start with spies evading capture or getting caught and then seems to exponentially increase as the game progresses.

Also I tried using the fighter hotkeys but I can't seem to get my carriers or bombers to target enemy ships individually on the alt 5 command. Which is hugely annoying because the AI tends to prioritize targets half way across the map while my carriers are getting blased from up close by enemy ships...like come on guys...take the ones down who are threatening my carriers first before you do long-distance bombing runs on their defense bases Am I missing something? I tried all the hotkeys but I get no response from my carriers or individually selected bombers. (as always, clean install distant worlds running bacon 1.55, 1.61 and 1.65, all three versions give me the same result...aka nothing...)

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 473
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/3/2018 11:33:21 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlindOne

Alright I tried 3 different games with each version for a total of 12 games running each for aproximately 75 years. That's bacon 1.55, 1.61 and 1.65 and all of them except for bacon 1.55 end up giving me out of range errors.

It seems to start with spies evading capture or getting caught and then seems to exponentially increase as the game progresses.

Also I tried using the fighter hotkeys but I can't seem to get my carriers or bombers to target enemy ships individually on the alt 5 command. Which is hugely annoying because the AI tends to prioritize targets half way across the map while my carriers are getting blased from up close by enemy ships...like come on guys...take the ones down who are threatening my carriers first before you do long-distance bombing runs on their defense bases Am I missing something? I tried all the hotkeys but I get no response from my carriers or individually selected bombers. (as always, clean install distant worlds running bacon 1.55, 1.61 and 1.65, all three versions give me the same result...aka nothing...)

OK, forgive me if I've asked this before. Different people's issues are all blurring together these days.
Do the error messages crash or interfear with the game or are they just annoying popup messages?

For the bombers, you need to designate the target first with alt-4 and then use alt-5 or alt-6 to order the bombers to attack. If you load up a saved game it will not remember which ship you designated with alt-4 and you will have to select it again.

(in reply to BlindOne)
Post #: 474
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/4/2018 12:26:24 AM   
BlindOne

quote:

OK, forgive me if I've asked this before. Different people's issues are all blurring together these days.
Do the error messages crash or interfear with the game or are they just annoying popup messages?

For the bombers, you need to designate the target first with alt-4 and then use alt-5 or alt-6 to order the bombers to attack. If you load up a saved game it will not remember which ship you designated with alt-4 and you will have to select it again.

They are just regular popup messages, you can click them to go away but at some point I get one every second or so...making it literally impossible to play on. Unless I hold the enter button continuously

As for the fighter hotkeys, I tried everything, I even thought for a moment you put it on the right alt key instead of the left but no go...or try the F4 F5 buttons but nope...am I supposed to get a confirmation sound or anything? Absolutely nothing seems to happen when I press Alt 4 or Alt 5... I even tried taking the hsips out of the fleets and commanded them in person but nope...nothing at all. It's strange because all the other hotkeys for for searching and stuff work fine...so I'm wondering if there's any special procedure I need to follow or if I'm missing something...

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 475
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/4/2018 4:16:59 PM   
fruitgnome

Is it possible that you make a new category in the ships and bases screen - "new and in no fleet"?
If yes pls make a version of your mod with only this feature. I cannot play your mod, different freezes and crashes.

(in reply to BlindOne)
Post #: 476
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/4/2018 10:43:45 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: fruitgnome

Is it possible that you make a new category in the ships and bases screen - "new and in no fleet"?
If yes pls make a version of your mod with only this feature. I cannot play your mod, different freezes and crashes.

I'm sorry you can't get the mod to work for you. Unfortunately, I can make separate versions of the mod with only certain features. When I started this project it was only going to be for myself so I didn't keep track of things very well in the beginning. It is impossible to go back, only forward.

(in reply to fruitgnome)
Post #: 477
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/5/2018 7:47:53 AM   
Jerkrergers

Is it possible to set mining ships to repeat missions?

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 478
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/5/2018 3:57:58 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackrogers

Is it possible to set mining ships to repeat missions?

Not currently buy that's a great idea. I haven't built a state run mining shop in a while or I probably would have thought of it myself.
I'll see if I can implement it. Repeat missions for freighters was harder than I thought it would be but I believe the Alton I finally came up with should work with mining ships as well.

(in reply to Jerkrergers)
Post #: 479
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/7/2018 4:43:09 PM   
Raagun

quote:

quote:

I thought it would be difficult since there are multiple types of items in the list but it turned out to be easy.

Great! Ill be waiting for next update extra much.

This trade all is great thing. I was at war with AI and it got another major power to declare war on me by trading their homeworld :D Never so this.

I know QoL improvements are not exciting, but this is stuff DWU is lacking to us all!

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI