Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/3/2018 4:13:42 PM   
warspite1

Turn 62
12th July 1941

Okay so the CW have some tantalisingly tempting targets i.e. Italian units that have put themselves in harms way. It's too easy to simply try and destroy these one at a time so I will leave them alone while their chums come up and join them.

In the meantime the RN bombards the German armour, joined by a battery of the 64th Field Regt. Unsurprisingly perhaps, only the RN score a hit, the gorgeous Dido inflicting 10% losses on the armour stack.

A second bombardment yields 13% before a final strike costs the Germans 9%. Then its supplies conservation mode and the turn ends.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/3/2018 4:25:26 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 691
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/3/2018 4:27:24 PM   
warspite1

Turn 63 - Axis Turn
16th July 1941

An attack on the RN is pretty even, 5 Axis aircraft are downed for the loss of 4 British Beaufighters. The three barrages south of Tobruk inflict just 5% loss and the Germans incur 2% in so doing.

The next round is worse for the Germans 7% vs 3% in total...

This time its 3% vs 9% in the German favour.

Better - 3% vs 17% this time, the southern and western strong points taking similar levels of battering.

Counter-battery fire is proving effective this turn (14% vs 3%) a so far the Germans have suffered a loss with every round.

Moving over halfway and three bombardments give a combined total of 2% each..

A better round - 8% for no loss, but Tobruk must seem as far away as ever for the Desert Fox.

5% vs 1% in the Axis favour is followed with 6% vs 0% in the final round.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/3/2018 4:55:18 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 692
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/3/2018 5:25:15 PM   
Zorch

No 'White Flag' from HMS Dido. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-fWDrZSiZs
See the part about 'mess and destruction 1:10 in.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 693
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/3/2018 7:12:28 PM   
warspite1

MMmm I'm struggling to decide how to play this now. The AI is doing some pretty dumb things (see below), but I don't want to just sit and wait forever - there's limited fun in that.

So I think I will just continue on with the relief of Tobruk (hopefully). I have counted at least two German panzer regiments and plenty of Afrika Korps artillery so I will need to be careful.

Let Operation Crusader begin!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/3/2018 7:14:41 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 694
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/3/2018 7:23:21 PM   
warspite1

Turn 63
16th July 1941

First though, we turn to the Saharan interior where the Germans have a number of Oasis battalions. The 9th Indian Brigade, part of 5th Indian Division, has been tasked with seeking out and destroying these pesky German infantry companies. The Indians have four battalions of infantry, a cavalry regiment and an artillery regiment so should have the measure of the defenders.

Sadly they have run out of puff this turn though.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 695
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/3/2018 7:28:35 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Turn 63
16th July 1941

First though, we turn to the Saharan interior where the Germans have a number of Oasis battalions. The 9th Indian Brigade, part of 5th Indian Division, has been tasked with seeking out and destroying these pesky German infantry companies. The Indians have four battalions of infantry, a cavalry regiment and an artillery regiment so should have the measure of the defenders.

Are there VPs involved? Sounds like a diversion of forces.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 696
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/3/2018 8:02:37 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

Turn 63
16th July 1941

Are there VPs involved? Sounds like a diversion of forces.
warspite1

No diversion of resources as I am using units that are due to be withdrawn in the near future.

As for victory points I've no idea, but the AI likes these hexes. If Rommel ever does march into Egypt it would be useful to own these hexes and use them as bases from which the LRDG can operate perhaps.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 697
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/3/2018 8:05:50 PM   
warspite1

Turn 63
16th July 1941

As soon as the four divisions of XIII and XXX Corps are ready and re-supplied then I will look to launch Crusader. Who knows, hopefully the South Africans will have awoken from their hibernation by then. I want to use them as a covering force for the other four divisions who will attack the Axis, east south and west of Tobruk.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/3/2018 8:16:48 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 698
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/3/2018 11:03:51 PM   
DanNeely

quote:

MMmm I'm struggling to decide how to play this now. The AI is doing some pretty dumb things (see below), but I don't want to just sit and wait forever - there's limited fun in that.

So I think I will just continue on with the relief of Tobruk (hopefully). I have counted at least two German panzer regiments and plenty of Afrika Korps artillery so I will need to be careful.

FWIW the odds are against Elmer responding better if you wait. The Italians you killed the previous few turns were probably everything assigned to guard the eastern flank, the German's will remain fixated on Tobruk until/unless a fall back trigger is reached.

Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 699
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/4/2018 5:10:53 AM   
warspite1

Turn 63
16th July 1941

So while the CW forces re-stock in preparation for the offensive,I will limit the rest of this turn to bombardments into the ring around Tobruk. None of the artillery within the perimeter are in any fit state to fire and so gunfire support will come solely from the reduced naval task force - currently just one cruiser and two destroyers. The results were amazingly consistent!

The only other action taken this turn has been to move the special forces units to Gazala and Tmimi to try and disrupt supply.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/4/2018 5:11:02 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 700
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/4/2018 5:15:25 AM   
warspite1

Turn 64
19th July 1941

And the Allies get a double turn. Reinforcements and replacements continue to move to the front, all air units not 'dark green' are placed on rest (air units are now up to sixteen). This leaves the turn to consist of bombardment at Tobruk and also the reinforced 9th Indian Brigade attacking the German Oasis battalions.

For this latter operation the Duke of York Cavalry Regt. and the 5th Fusiliers have been sent west to Wahat Girba to cut off supply to the German units. Meanwhile the three battalions of the 9th Indian Brigade have got into position to attack the company furthest east. The 144th Field Artillery softens up the defenders.

The 3rd Battalion, 12th FFR Regt. then makes an attack that forces the surviving Germans to the northwest, and at the same time the DOY Cavalry Regt. moves down the track to El Al Thed to assault the western most company of German troops.

The Indian Cavalry succeed in pushing the Germans out of position and they retreat to the north, hotly pursued by the Indian troops. Unfortunately the Fusiliers to the northwest are unable to assist.

Meanwhile an attack by the entire 9th Brigade, against the surviving Germans to the east, pushes the enemy further back, splitting the German force into three.

The turn ends at that unfortunate moment - I should have attacked one round earlier.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/4/2018 6:06:37 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 701
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/4/2018 6:17:39 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanNeely

quote:

FWIW the odds are against Elmer responding better if you wait. The Italians you killed the previous few turns were probably everything assigned to guard the eastern flank, the German's will remain fixated on Tobruk until/unless a fall back trigger is reached.

warspite1

Wow you were right about that! Moving two small weak commando units west of Tobruk has caused the AI to go into a panic and sent a billion troops to sort it out! The good news is that those HQ and tank units that were placed in front of my lines have retreated to investigate commandos.

(in reply to DanNeely)
Post #: 702
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/4/2018 6:20:31 AM   
warspite1

Turn 64 - Axis Turn
16th July 1941

Interesting. The AI turn consisted precisely of this:

Presumably this is because so many artillery units were withdrawn to deal with the commandos to the west. There was no attack either against the LRDG.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/4/2018 6:23:43 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 703
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/4/2018 6:37:17 AM   
warspite1

Turn 65
23rd July 1941

Well that is more than a little disappointing....The various units I expected to be withdrawn have been (including the 9th Indian Bde - so that brings the Battle of Siwa to a close!), but so too have the 18th Australian Brigade and they were not earmarked to be withdrawn.

So without any notice I've just lost 3 Infantry Battalions, a Cavalry Regiment and a Field Artillery Regiment from Tobruk????

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 704
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/4/2018 11:57:07 AM   
devoncop

Still following avidly but two things seem evident

1) The PO still has issues over a longer Campaign

and

2) You seem to now be much more familiar with mechanics so it would be great to read an AAR of the same scenario (or even a different one) with you playing an MP game ....the style you have is very engaging and you would not have to deal with a suicidal PO....

What do you reckon?

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 705
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/4/2018 12:50:53 PM   
Zorch

quote:

Turn 65
23rd July 1941

Well that is more than a little disappointing....The various units I expected to be withdrawn have been (including the 9th Indian Bde - so that brings the Battle of Siwa to a close!), but so too have the 18th Australian Brigade and they were not earmarked to be withdrawn.

So without any notice I've just lost 3 Infantry Battalions, a Cavalry Regiment and a Field Artillery Regiment from Tobruk????

Are any of them being withdrawn in place of destroyed units?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 706
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/4/2018 4:10:10 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

Turn 65
23rd July 1941

Are any of them being withdrawn in place of destroyed units?
warspite1

I don't think so - I haven't had that many actually destroyed and so assume this is part of the same problem as I had with 6th Australian Division earlier in the game.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 707
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/4/2018 4:13:36 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: devoncop

Still following avidly but two things seem evident

1) The PO still has issues over a longer Campaign

and

2) You seem to now be much more familiar with mechanics so it would be great to read an AAR of the same scenario (or even a different one) with you playing an MP game ....the style you have is very engaging and you would not have to deal with a suicidal PO....

What do you reckon?
warspite1

I wouldn't mind an MP game - although with two caveats a) I can't promise I won't embarrass myself against a real opponent, and b) I need someone to explain in plain English how I get from the Play Online button to actually being able to play online. I tried create log in but it doesn't want to know

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 708
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/4/2018 4:36:11 PM   
devoncop

Well I finally took the plunge and purchased the game this afternoon, partly down to your excellent AAR so will be hitting some tutorials to make sure I have the basics sorted (also thank you Oberst Klink btw!) . I will check out the MP procedure. The PBEM++ system I have found very easy with FOG2 and Pike and Shot and I am an IT Neanderthal but if I can answer your MP query I will PM you.

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 709
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/4/2018 4:38:40 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: devoncop

Well I finally took the plunge and purchased the game this afternoon, partly down to your excellent AAR so will be hitting some tutorials to make sure I have the basics sorted (also thank you Oberst Klink btw!) . I will check out the MP procedure. The PBEM++ system I have found very easy with FOG2 and Pike and Shot and I am an IT Neanderthal but if I can answer your MP query I will PM you.

warspite1

The question is; which one of us is going to be the dastardly Hun?

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 710
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/4/2018 4:59:06 PM   
warspite1

Turn 65
23rd July 1941

The news that half the garrison of Tobruk has suddenly departed for Egypt without warning overnight has sent the Tobruk garrison into a state of absolute blind panic (below right). Meanwhile Lt-General Morshead re-arranges his forces (below left). Cunningham ensures that the 22nd Guards Brigade HQ and the 149th Anti-Tank Regt. are ferried into the port as quickly as possible so that Morshead can move two battalions of Polish troops into the western strong point.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/4/2018 5:10:16 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 711
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/4/2018 5:18:13 PM   
devoncop

[/quote]warspite1

[/quote]

More than happy to play Axis but will need a bit of time to catch up with your experience as I, like yourself have played a lot of WW2 strategy games and precisely no games at all of TOAW system
I will PM you and we can maybe get an MP game going. Then we just have to decide which of the hundreds of scenarios we want to play

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 712
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/4/2018 5:34:32 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

quote:

devoncop

More than happy to play Axis but will need a bit of time to catch up with your experience as I, like yourself have played a lot of WW2 strategy games and precisely no games at all of TOAW system
I will PM you and we can maybe get an MP game going. Then we just have to decide which of the hundreds of scenarios we want to play

warspite1

Okay no problem, take your time and tell me when you fancy it - but as for the scenario it should be either this one or (more fun for the Axis) this one but the version that starts with the Italian invasion of Egypt.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/4/2018 5:58:03 PM >

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 713
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/4/2018 5:36:19 PM   
warspite1

Turn 65
23rd July 1941

The Desert Air Force is now up to 18 units with the addition of two more new South African squadrons. Half of these are on rest in preparation for the big one.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 714
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/4/2018 5:47:57 PM   
warspite1

Turn 65
23rd July 1941

The Commandos have done their job - they caused large-scale diversion of Axis forces - and then disappeared into the desert.

There are just two bombardments this turn, causing 6% and 5% losses.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/4/2018 5:51:15 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 715
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/4/2018 5:53:51 PM   
warspite1

Turn 65 - Axis Turn
23rd July 1941

Four attacks on Tobruk yield 10% losses, but an attack on the fleet yields predictably bad results for the Luftwaffe.....

13% this time - pressure starting to build

Mmmm now its getting serious - 14% against the western strong point alone. At least 7 artillery (six German) launched that barrage....

A similar result is achieved, although this time spread over three attacks.

Two attacks but without loss to either side this time

After that brief lull the Germans are back up to 21%. Time for Crusader me thinks....

But then the next three attacks give just 2%, and the final round 0%.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/4/2018 6:18:25 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 716
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/4/2018 6:18:54 PM   
warspite1

Turn 66
26th July 1941

Efficient work from from the Royal Navy and the troops assigned to dock duty at Tobruk; more reinforcements flood in to the port. The 1st South Staffordshire infantry battalion and the 1st Polish Anti-Tank Regt. reinforce the beleaguered troops within the perimeter.

Operation Crusader is postponed once again however, and a quick look at the status of the New Zealand Division confirms why....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/4/2018 6:25:27 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 717
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/5/2018 4:37:38 PM   
warspite1

Turn 66
26th July 1941

With supplies running low, the Euryalus group head for Egypt and are replaced by a new group of four ships, including two cruisers Arthusa and Naiad.

The results are considered acceptable.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/5/2018 4:41:29 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 718
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/5/2018 4:42:04 PM   
warspite1

Turn 66 - Axis Turn
26th July 1941

I have a nasty feeling the Axis will attack this turn and that the western strong point will be the target.....

There are five attacks on Tobruk - the Allied air forces come out slightly worse 11 vs 10 aircraft downed in an attack against the escort vessels. An equally bloody encounter follows against the main fleet - 41 Axis aircraft loss for 19 in return. The land bombardments yield 12% losses in total.

The third round gives 9% vs 3% in the Axis favour.

The fifth round is something of a damp squib - 5% losses over three bombardments.

Things don't get appreciably better for the Axis in round 6 - 8% over four bombardments.

6% from two barrages - my feeling of foreboding may have been thankfully mis-placed.

5% vs 2% in round 8 gets worse - 4% vs 3% in the final round.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/5/2018 5:02:52 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 719
RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 - 1/5/2018 5:03:50 PM   
warspite1

Turn 67
30th July 1941

Operation Crusader is finally launched!

My previously stated plan was not to attack HQ that the AI had unwittingly put in harms way, however where those HQ's are very much in my way then I have no choice.

The 9th Australian and 2nd Armoured Divisions attack along the coast road. Wavell has concerns as both divisions are under-strength (three battalions of Aussie infantry are in Tobruk), while 2nd Armoured lacks tanks, infantry, artillery and anti-tank - but is otherwise up to the maximum T+OE.

The New Zealand 6th Brigade combine with 7th Armoured to try and clear the Trigh Capuzzo, while the 5th NZ Brigade engages Italian armour south of El Adem. The 4th Brigade begin an envelopment manoeuvre toward 'Knightsbridge'.

To the south the sole brigade of the 4th Indian Division (supported by the 3rd Motor Brigade) watch for any Italian incursion toward Bardia. Wavell curses the South African troops unpreparedness as he would ideally have liked to push the Indians further west to try and block reinforcements to the Tobruk perimeter.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/5/2018 6:00:59 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 720
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43 Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI