Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

crazy netplay stuff

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> NetPlay Tech Support >> crazy netplay stuff Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
crazy netplay stuff - 1/12/2018 9:35:00 PM   
Sabre21

Today has been a horrible day trying to get e netplay game going. Bill and I have seen some weird stuff happening that we have never seen before.

We finally after 5 months of him playing the Axis switched sides. We started up a global war campaign with the 2.7.1 patch.

On the first game we got all the way to the Polish setup when the game never gave Bill the option to align the Polish and skipped that setup altogether. We tried loading a savegame, but it wouldn't let us setup the Poles, so we restarted.

The second game we set up, when we got to the Japanese I had an internet failure. So we reloaded back to the French setup, advanced to Japanese and I had the yellow nat Chinese tray with Jap units in it. We tried reloading other saves but the game kept thinking I was the allied player, so we restarted again.

On the third game we got past the Polish setup and did the weather and initiative. While on Axis port attack, all of a sudden the game advanced several phases to the ground support phase (neither of us touched the keyboard or mouse), then within a couple minutes it locked up and on to game 4.

Both of us are getting pretty tired but pushed on only to have game 4 have another odd issue, during Jap setup, I placed a cvp onboard a carrier but decided to move that carrier plus plane to a different port. When I did the move, only the plane moved and then tried to land on a carrier in that new port. So doing that I found that the original carrier still had the cvp as well as the new carrier. Game crashed went on to game 5.

Game 5 we got thru Polish setup, weather and initiative only to have the game advance again multiple phases on its own and when reloading a savegame, again thought I was the allied player.

Sooo, after 5 tries, and 4 1/2 hours of the day wasted, we gave up. Neither Bill nor I have seen these issues before today, the only thing we have done different is change sides.

< Message edited by Sabre21 -- 1/14/2018 8:06:07 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: crazy netplay stuff - 1/12/2018 10:42:58 PM   
paulderynck

Are either of you connected to your home network via wireless? Early on we had some strange problems when one or both players were on wireless. But this would also imply that for the game before you switched sides, neither of you were on wireless. If that's not true, then forget this theory.

Paul

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 2
RE: crazy netplay stuff - 1/13/2018 12:08:33 AM   
Sabre21

I will check with Bill, but as far as I know nothing has changed with how we are connected. Bill is in town and receives cable internet. I live out on in the boonies and receive broadband thru a microwave system to my house where the radio is plugged directly into my computer. But this has been the system I've used for 13 years with very few issues.

< Message edited by Sabre21 -- 1/13/2018 12:10:56 AM >

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 3
RE: crazy netplay stuff - 1/13/2018 12:14:48 AM   
davidachamberlain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

I will check with Bill, but as far as I know nothing has changed with how we are connected. Bill is in town and receives cable internet. I live out on in the boonies and receive broadband thru a microwave system to my house where the radio is plugged directly into my computer. But this has been the system I've used for 13 years with very few issues.

You should check with your carrier for what is called a "quality of service" upgrade. That an involve an upgrade to the modem to properly sequency the internet packages. This is generally required for data transmission like Fax communication using an IP phone, but it could affect something like this.

Microwave could easily result in a situation where there are lost packets or mis-sequenced packets and that might be sufficient to screw up MWIF.

Dave

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 4
RE: crazy netplay stuff - 1/13/2018 4:43:28 AM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: davidachamberlain

quote:

You should check with your carrier for what is called a "quality of service" upgrade. That an involve an upgrade to the modem to properly sequency the internet packages. This is generally required for data transmission like Fax communication using an IP phone, but it could affect something like this.

Microwave could easily result in a situation where there are lost packets or mis-sequenced packets and that might be sufficient to screw up MWIF.

Dave

I'll ask to see what else they offer, but I'm pretty sure I have the highest speed and quality they offer to residential customers. my receiver is 8 miles from their nearest tower and I probably do have loss of info at times. But to the most part, up until today, the game was operating fairly well aside from known bugs. We have played over 8 hours at a time in the past with no big issues. Today the gremlins were coming out of the woodwork.

(in reply to davidachamberlain)
Post #: 5
RE: crazy netplay stuff - 1/13/2018 6:08:17 AM   
paulderynck

I was referring to a home wireless network, like a wireless router (802.11), not to your carrier's connection. As an example I have a wireless router so I can access the internet from a smart phone, IPAD or IPOD but it also has ports for wired connections and my PCs that run MWiF are hard wired to those ports.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 1/13/2018 6:15:46 AM >

Paul

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 6
RE: crazy netplay stuff - 1/13/2018 5:37:35 PM   
davidachamberlain

quote:

I'll ask to see what else they offer, but I'm pretty sure I have the highest speed and quality they offer to residential customers. my receiver is 8 miles from their nearest tower and I probably do have loss of info at times. But to the most part, up until today, the game was operating fairly well aside from known bugs. We have played over 8 hours at a time in the past with no big issues. Today the gremlins were coming out of the woodwork.

What I am referring to is a "feature". It has nothing to do with speed or quality, but is a specific feature that you can request to be enabled.

As I mentioned, this was necessary to be able to use an IP based phone for faxing. It would also be appropriate for high speed and high quality data transmission.

For browsing, streaming, email, etc. it is not necessary so is not enabled by default.

Ask your carrier if you can have the "quality of service" feature enabled to support your "faxing" and they will understand.

Without it, fax transmissions will generally have problems that result in terminating the transmission.

Dave

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 7
RE: crazy netplay stuff - 1/15/2018 8:22:36 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

I was referring to a home wireless network, like a wireless router (802.11), not to your carrier's connection. As an example I have a wireless router so I can access the internet from a smart phone, IPAD or IPOD but it also has ports for wired connections and my PCs that run MWiF are hard wired to those ports.

Neither of us use wireless routers for our primary computer. Mine is plugged directly into my receiving radio and Bill uses cable internet that is wired right into his machine.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> NetPlay Tech Support >> crazy netplay stuff Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI