Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 9/25/2000 4:32:00 PM   
laurent Favre

quote:

Originally posted by VictorH: Laurent, I noticed you had posted to the same site on Talonsoft that I had, before being Purged by the Ashton Virus. I responded back to you. I'm sure Matrix will do well in the future with the help of the folks that post on these forums. There are many that can contribute. Has Matrix considered partnerships with other wargame publishers such as: Forgotten Fronts and Schwerpunkt? [This message has been edited by VictorH (edited September 24, 2000).]
Victor, I wanted to show soem posts ( not only your) were deleted. I replied to you by essentially explaining the policy at BTS board when moderators strongly disagree with a post. Since BTS opened it, a handful of people have be banished, each after many second chances offered by BTS. And they don't delete posts, they close threads. They don't fear public appraisal. I would want to see all these small companies sharing some tasks. Maybe by cooperation some costs ( manual printing, packaging, online orders delivery) could be reduced. I don't know if it's possible but many small comapnies in Europe do that.

When I think about TS, I'm suffocating. And you?

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 31
- 9/25/2000 6:15:00 PM   
laurent Favre

Proposal: -create a board whose access is given by a subscription. - this board will be a forum where members will discuss the design of a game. - features will be discussed. A group of moderators will transform this discussions in proposals. - members will vote on these proposals. When a majority of members will have adopted a proposal, it will become a feature of the game. I don't know if the project is realist. It would be fun howewer to see if democraty can be used for a game design.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 32
- 9/25/2000 6:36:00 PM   
varjager

I was just wondering if you have ever thought about a wargame about the great nordic wars? Br

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 33
- 9/25/2000 7:57:00 PM   
Steve Hosfield

I've always thought a grand Stratgic WWII game played in real time would be great. You would plan unit movements, aggressiveness, then have your local commanders take over. Emmense dempolicy here as you'd have cope with Patton/Montgomery rivally, how to handle the Russians, when to invade SU if it all, focusing on N. Africa or the latest Soviet Offensive.

"My left is broken, my right is weakening, the situation is excellent, I am attacking"

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 34
- 9/26/2000 1:56:00 PM   
Grok

Hello guys, Everyone has posted good ideas...and believe it or not the guys at Matrix are reading them. So don't stop now, keep them coming. ANY idea is welcome, it doesn't have to be about a game, it can be anything that's gaming related or that you belive would help the guys at Matrix out. These suggestions are not just for the financial benefit of Matrix, but for your gaming benefit as well. Thanks again fellow gamers and you all too Matrix guys. ------------------ understanding requires patience Grok

"My teeth have more bite, than your mouth has bark!"

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 35
- 9/26/2000 3:54:00 PM   
laurent Favre

Another idea... Matrix owns the right of some Kamikaze wargames, intended to be enhanced ( no AI, sounds,etc). Why not sell one (without the Matrix enhancements) with source code under a license giving the possibility either to release non commercial products or commercial one against royalties? Many subjects will never be covered in computer wargame fields. Much of them wouldn't sell beyond some hundred boxes. of course, some could think it would hinder commercial companies by adding new competitors. But I feel differently: many of us will have never time to do a complete project and by extension several. These games will remain technically inferior to the commercial ones. Last, the best of these part-time designers could get one foot in the hobby, choose to go to the commercial side. The wargaming hobby would at least know the same diversity than in the boardgame field and the raise of titles would strenghten the interest for the hobby and then in the last the income of commercial projects. [This message has been edited by laurent Favre (edited September 26, 2000).]

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 36
- 9/26/2000 8:32:00 PM   
Ed Cogburn

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Hosfield: I've always thought a grand Stratgic WWII game played in real time would be great. You would plan unit movements, aggressiveness, then have your local commanders take over. Emmense dempolicy here as you'd have cope with Patton/Montgomery rivally, how to handle the Russians, when to invade SU if it all, focusing on N. Africa or the latest Soviet Offensive.
As I understand things, you just described "Road to Moscow". I'm a bit leery of "real-time grand strategy", though. We're up to our necks in "real-time" crap right now. But if its designed the way I read "Road to Moscow" is designed, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 37
- 9/26/2000 9:37:00 PM   
bpolarsk

Sorry to remind than RTM is not a wargame but a vaporware.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 38
- 9/26/2000 10:13:00 PM   
VictorH

GROK: I apologize for not being at last nights Chat. The cable guy was working on my cable TV connection and killed my cable modem right at 5:30. It still doesn't work. I'm using my work machine right now. I agree with Ed, there are too many realtime games and I to think they are mindless crap. I suggested in a previous post, Matrix do something like the old computer game High Command as a WWII Grand Strategic game. [This message has been edited by VictorH (edited September 26, 2000).]

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 39
- 9/27/2000 12:56:00 AM   
Grok

Hi Victor, Its not a problem, I've sent you some material to your email address, just email me when you have recieved it. Gene

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 40
- 9/27/2000 2:00:00 AM   
Philippe R

Hello, I posted already this idea on the WW1 dicussion, but I think there is a market for a WW1 great strategy game. Why not adapt to computer "La grande guerre", a boardgame which has been published last year by Azure Wish, the french company who also released the original Europa Universalis board game.The game covers all the aspects of the war. Speaking of Europa Universalis, the computer version, I believe they are still looking for an U.S. publisher, I don't know if Matrix could be interested or if it could generate some benefits for them. Best regards Philippe R

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 41
- 9/27/2000 8:52:00 AM   
Jsherfy

Okay, I posted this elsewhere but my opinion is that SSI's Battles of Napoleon released in about 1986 is still the best Napoleonic Computer game. Why, great game system, love the cavalry charges and countercharges. Variety of periods and troops and so many options to edit your own scenarios etc. This would be a great game to upgrade. Add new unit graphics, a campaign option and tweak some of the other aspects of the game. Maybe a way to get some intelligence on enemy units without attacking them. Now guys tell me if I am wrong but I think those of us who are into Napoleonic period are really willing to pay for THE game. I think the period is not that "popular" but the gamers who are into it are into it with a passion. That is why I would be willing to pay $100 bucks IF I could get such a game. I think a game developer who does it right might not sell a ton of such games but he could command a good price because he's got the market cornered. Maybe I am wrong but I see a lot of Napoleonic board games out there for 50 bucks so 100 bucks for a really good computer game is not a problem for me. Joe

Joe

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 42
- 9/27/2000 9:53:00 AM   
VictorH

Actually $50 for a game is close to the normal price now adays. A Napoleonic Game in the same style of the Quad Series is a good idea. They were pretty much basic games all with the same rules. An engine could be built, something like the Talonsoft Games, Gettysburg, etc. Then release scenario packs of his battles. Something like Horse & Musket. You could have a "Napoleon the Early Years" scenario pack that covers his battles during the Revolution, and in Italy and Egypt. Then an Austrian Years, Prussian Years, and Russian Years series of scenario packs. Sell the main engine and initial scenaio pack for $50, then each additional scenario pack for $15 or $20. [This message has been edited by VictorH (edited September 26, 2000).]

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 43
- 9/27/2000 9:59:00 AM   
VictorH

GROK: Got my cable modem back on the grid. The cable company had to replace all the amplifiers and recable my entire street. All of it was nearly 10 years old. They had 3 trucks and 3 techies working on my street all day today. I had to remind them that the Cable Franchise iss coming up for review at the City Council. Also the Mayor of my town is a friend and I am guaranteed speaking time in front of the council at the hearing. [This message has been edited by VictorH (edited September 26, 2000).]

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 44
- 9/27/2000 7:37:00 PM   
moore4807

Grok, Hope to catch up with you today, thanks for emailing that log to me. I am also in favor of not going real time with a strategic game because of the sheer complexity of units and gameplay, also it doesnt allow breaks very easily (makes PBEM difficult),otherwise its all in the design of the game and the developers intent...

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 45
- 9/27/2000 7:51:00 PM   
Grok

quote:

Originally posted by VictorH: GROK: Got my cable modem back on the grid. The cable company had to replace all the amplifiers and recable my entire street. All of it was nearly 10 years old. They had 3 trucks and 3 techies working on my street all day today. I had to remind them that the Cable Franchise iss coming up for review at the City Council. Also the Mayor of my town is a friend and I am guaranteed speaking time in front of the council at the hearing. [This message has been edited by VictorH (edited September 26, 2000).]
Good to hear about your cable back being back up... Sounds like you might have someone on a short rope there Victor ------------------ understanding requires patience Grok

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 46
- 9/27/2000 8:00:00 PM   
Grok

quote:

Originally posted by moore4807: Grok, Hope to catch up with you today, thanks for emailing that log to me. I am also in favor of not going real time with a strategic game because of the sheer complexity of units and gameplay, also it doesnt allow breaks very easily (makes PBEM difficult),otherwise its all in the design of the game and the developers intent...
Anytime Jim, was too bad you couldn't make it, maybe we can work around some of those problems with cable and be ready next time. I agree, a real time strategic game would be cumbersome and frustrating to play. ------------------ understanding requires patience Grok

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 47
- 9/27/2000 9:03:00 PM   
David Heath

Hi Guys I didn't know if you knew this but there is a chat server here in the MGJ section. Also if you set up date and time Matrix Games can announce it on there news forum and help promote it. David

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 48
- 9/27/2000 11:10:00 PM   
moore4807

quote:

Originally posted by David Heath: Hi Guys I didn't know if you knew this but there is a chat server here in the MGJ section. Also if you set up date and time Matrix Games can announce it on there news forum and help promote it. David
David, You know that saying about learning something new everyday? I'm heading over to the Journal-check it out. Thanks Jim

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 49
- 9/28/2000 4:10:00 AM   
VictorH

Thanks for the info on the Chat Server David.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 50
- 9/28/2000 4:13:00 AM   
VictorH

I just posted something and don't know why it didn't show up?? I'll try again. Thanks David for the chat server information.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 51
- 9/28/2000 1:12:00 PM   
Marc Hameleers

Well, We'll use that one next time Jim, can you subscribe to the egroups adress in the log? Then we can start to continue in a lesser pace until our next chat! Marc

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 52
- 9/28/2000 4:04:00 PM   
strategy

Sounds fun (though I feel a certain scepticism at the thought of designing any wargame democratically, when I consider how arguementative most wargamer's are ). Where is it possible to follow the discussion? Good luck with the project. /strategy Imperium - Rise of Rome [This message has been edited by strategy (edited September 28, 2000).]

Michael Akinde / Strategy
Imperium - Rise of Rome (http://www.fenrir.dk/imperium/)

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 53
- 9/28/2000 6:34:00 PM   
moore4807

quote:

Originally posted by Marc Hameleers: Well, We'll use that one next time Jim, can you subscribe to the egroups adress in the log? Then we can start to continue in a lesser pace until our next chat! Marc
Marc, My problem seems to be in my cable system firewall... I can go to certain sites for IRC but anything that requires me to "host" the program on my computer, my cable apparently sees the return messages as Hackers and fails the messages... I am working with Grok and he thinks he knows an answer to try... Will be trying tonite-I will keep you updated. By the way did you get Grok's message about this Friday? If not email me and I'll send you the info. Jim

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 54
- 9/28/2000 6:51:00 PM   
moore4807

quote:

Originally posted by strategy: Sounds fun (though I feel a certain scepticism at the thought of designing any wargame democratically, when I consider how arguementative most wargamer's are ). Where is it possible to follow the discussion? Good luck with the project. /strategy Imperium - Rise of Rome [This message has been edited by strategy (edited September 28, 2000).]
Strategy, I definitely understand your concerns and I dont know anything definite, BUT Matrix is the most promising team of wargamers I've met. They are fantastically responsive and have you noticed how many patches have come out on the games they've released? The keep on top of the boards and make adjustments (patches) quickly to address gamers concerns. THAT is why I started this posting when Talonsoft pulled that WON stunt. I hope to get gamers interest and maybe WE can do something to help those who have helped US. Maybe a novel idea- but how many game companies give upgraded Classics Wargames away free? So to answer your question about where we are meeting, I THINK the group will be going to the Matrix games chat under MGJournal. That is up to the group and will be posted here for time and place... All I know for now... Jim

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 55
- 9/28/2000 11:52:00 PM   
Grok

quote:

Originally posted by moore4807: Strategy, I definitely understand your concerns and I dont know anything definite, BUT Matrix is the most promising team of wargamers I've met. They are fantastically responsive and have you noticed how many patches have come out on the games they've released? The keep on top of the boards and make adjustments (patches) quickly to address gamers concerns. THAT is why I started this posting when Talonsoft pulled that WON stunt. I hope to get gamers interest and maybe WE can do something to help those who have helped US. Maybe a novel idea- but how many game companies give upgraded Classics Wargames away free? So to answer your question about where we are meeting, I THINK the group will be going to the Matrix games chat under MGJournal. That is up to the group and will be posted here for time and place... All I know for now... Jim
I agree Jim, if it can be done, it'll be through Matrix Games. Like you, I'm not sure what will eventually be decided, but if the guys at Matrix go for it, then I believe it's possible. It won't be easy, but then again what worthwhile endeavor ever is? Dave_R on another thread has already suggested that gamers get together and begin trying to work up a intial proposal for a game. I truely think that we are on the verge of a new and workable method of designing and developing new games. And Matrix already unique for the updating and release of three older games(for free), is the one to lead the way. I for one am ready to ride the wave of the future...anyone else? ------------------ understanding requires patience Grok [This message has been edited by Grok (edited September 28, 2000).]

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 56
- 9/29/2000 3:23:00 AM   
VictorH

I'm along for the ride too. Talk to you at the chat Friday Grok.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 57
- 9/29/2000 1:49:00 PM   
strategy

Well, I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines. Can't participate (too busy with my own project), but I'l pop by from time to time to see how things develop. /strategy Imperium - Rise of Rome

Michael Akinde / Strategy
Imperium - Rise of Rome (http://www.fenrir.dk/imperium/)

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 58
- 9/30/2000 3:21:00 PM   
Richard bradley

quote:

Originally posted by Joe Osborne: You guys are fabulous...I don't know what to say. As part of the Matrix team I just want to thank you for your kindness and support. We at Matrix are in this for the long haul, as we believe in the wargaming community as a great market to support. The guys here at Matrix are all dyed-in-the-wool long time wargamers who have set out on a mission. We intend to run this company and design and produce war games and provide additional wargaming support of a caliber we have always expected and rarely received. Yes, this sets us back a bit, and some of your ideas for generating income are indeed interesting. So far the "wolves" (and I speak only for myself in this matter ) are not at the door. We actually have discussed selling Matrix hats, shirts, etc. and who knows this may become a reality. The idea of offering subscriptions for a Wargamers Club however, is interesting, something we've kicked around a bit, but haven't implemented. As always we'd be willing to listen to any ideas you folks might have. Thanks again for your kindness and support. It actually helps to be appreciated!! Regards, Joe Osborne Director Matrix Games Network
..As an taow board refugee I think I'm going to like this place, never seen such a friendly attitude before Richard ...better a tent etc

...today, i be mostly experimenting..as are they, you, us and him/her...and it...,

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 59
- 10/1/2000 12:42:00 AM   
Grok

quote:

Originally posted by Richard bradley: [QUOTE] ..As an taow board refugee I think I'm going to like this place, never seen such a friendly attitude before Richard ...better a tent etc
Yes they are Richard. And as you can tell, the message board is very flexible. And as far as I know, no one has ever been censored anywhere on it, even when the original topic has drifted on to something else. And the topics can be very intersting indeed! I think the guys at Matirx are a fine bunch and I will support them in everyway possible, especially when those priced games they are working on, are released. ------------------ understanding requires patience Grok

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI