Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wimpy artillery

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Wimpy artillery Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wimpy artillery - 6/2/2001 11:34:00 PM   
miharme

Now I've been playing the ver. 5.01 long enough to feel able to pass some judgements. In fact there's only one major grievance in the game as it now is, and that's the killing power, or rather the lack of it, of the artillery. I've noticed it's no use in purchasing arty heavier than the 75/76,2 mm, because the difference in results is negligible. All the arty does is lots of suppression (which is good) but not much else - usually not a single casualty. I truly miss the killing power of the arty as it was in the ver. 4.5. So, how about restoring the arty back to its former glory in a future patch? IMO it should be as suppressive as it is in ver. 5.01, and as lethal as it was in the ver. 4.5. Artillery is, after all, the killer in wars. If there's been problems with people misusing arty, how about putting a switch in the preferences like 'powerful artillery on/off'? Just my thoughts on the subject.

Post #: 1
- 6/2/2001 11:58:00 PM   
Slayer

quote:

Originally posted by Mikko Härmeinen: [QB] If there's been problems with people misusing arty, how about putting a switch in the preferences like 'powerful artillery on/off'? [QB]
Well, there is "artillery vs soft" and "artillery vs hard" from the prefference screen, which I am sure would do much the same thing...

(in reply to miharme)
Post #: 2
- 6/3/2001 12:48:00 AM   
Figmo

Ah Yes - love the Artillery!! After it's over - count the number of arms and legs and divide by four - that's your casualties!! You can adjust them - bottom right side of the preferences screen - the default is 100% and they go up to 250% - very deadly!! If you really want to be BAD - raise yours and not the AIs. The VERY sick Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to miharme)
Post #: 3
- 6/3/2001 3:11:00 AM   
Bing

Artillery used correctly wll devastate your opponent - live or AI. First, you absolutely must have an experienced FO unit. Not necessarily in LOS either. Then, plan for TOT - Time On Target - all your guns in a concentrated area. You will see results. Infantry will disappear. Armored units will stop or retreat. But you must concentrate your fire. I have stopped or destroyed many enemy units with rocket barrages. Including armor. Artillery most certainly is the God of War. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to miharme)
Post #: 4
- 6/3/2001 1:31:00 PM   
Stuart Millis

I agree with Bing. Used properly, artillery is very dangerous. Also, remember the light mortars must be called in by the platoon commander, and for maximum effect, the Plt Commander should have LOS on the target. Use the other platoon squads to pin the target and you will have one well-suppressed target, ripe for over-run or melee. Stuart

(in reply to miharme)
Post #: 5
- 6/3/2001 3:18:00 PM   
Voriax

Welll...dunno about that wimpyness. Yesterday I played a scenario where I had 3-4 150mm arty units, similar amount of 105mm, 4 nebelwerfers, 2 120mm and 4 82mm mortars. Around turn 6-7 I spotted a large number of AI units moving towards one Vhex group. I had managed to kill few tanks from the front of that column so I assumed that there might be a nice cluster of units. I then targetted every arty unit that was in contact into the general area of this column, and every turn afterwards I spent at least half of available arty into softening up this column. This barrage lasted about 10 turns. When the game ended and I saw the map I was somewhat surprised as there were approx 30 tanks clustered in 12-15 hex area, and straggling infantry units practically littered the area. At least 3 vehicles were destroyed by this barrage. In effect I had managed to tie down & rout about 50-60% of enemy tank force. And all this with preferences set to 120 vs soft and 80 vs hard targets. I definitely didn't think that arty was wimpy :) Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to miharme)
Post #: 6
- 6/3/2001 5:53:00 PM   
RockinHarry

In a test scenario I put 3 infantry squads with all unit stats set to 80 into worst possible terrain (mud,swamp,paved road) and pounded them with "hundreds" of 3" (or 80/82mm) mortar shells. Spotter observation was perfect, so no single shell ever missed the target hexes (Fast Arty off). Result: 0 casualties (10 and more turns) I would say, at least medium mortars are a bit wimpy... If my grandpa still would be alive, he probably would tell me something different cause he was severly wounded by a mortar shell on the eastern front in 44. I think he would´ve preferred to be just suppressed instead. :eek: BTW: THe bigger pieces (105,122...<) work "a little" bit better. __________ Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to miharme)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Wimpy artillery Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI