Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

No in-game sound

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> No in-game sound Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No in-game sound - 1/19/2018 12:24:10 AM   
bilbow

Have new computer, Win 10 Pro (1709), Intel I7. After several hours of messing with the switches AE runs after a fashion.
Very sluggish, and the pop-up for naval and air combat flickers. Not ideal, but playable. Current switch settings:

"War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -cpu2 -w -altFont -archive - deepColor -px1920 -py1080

There is however no in-game sound. The intro screeans and video run fine, but that's it. The individual .sfx files will play
outside the game once I associated them with Media Player. I also did a fresh install from the original DVD, same problem with
entirely default settings.

Must be a problem with my rig, but I am out of ideas to try. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile- hoping it will eat him last
- Winston Churchill
Post #: 1
RE: No in-game sound - 1/19/2018 12:31:17 AM   
MakeeLearn

You have to point to the location of the exe...

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -SingleCpuOrders -deepColor -dd_sw -altFont

If you are not using the beta it will be similar to...

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -SingleCpuOrders -deepColor -dd_sw -altFont

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 1/19/2018 12:34:09 AM >

(in reply to bilbow)
Post #: 2
RE: No in-game sound - 1/19/2018 12:35:50 AM   
MakeeLearn

Don't forget the current update, then the beta if you wish to use it.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3
RE: No in-game sound - 1/19/2018 12:48:39 AM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

- deepColor

There is a space... BAD
no spaces between - and switch
Be precise with concatenation.

All this should fix video and sluggishness and may fix sound.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 1/19/2018 12:49:48 AM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 4
RE: No in-game sound - 1/19/2018 1:06:09 AM   
bilbow

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

quote:

- deepColor

There is a space... BAD
no spaces between - and switch
Be precise with concatenation.

All this should fix video and sluggishness and may fix sound.

Thanks for looking. Here's the full path. I shortened it to fit this window.
"C:\Matrix Games3\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -cpu2 -w -altFont -archive -deepColor -px1920 -py1080

Fixing the BAD space doesn't seen to affect anything. Still sluggish and still no sound.

- Winston Churchill

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 5
RE: No in-game sound - 1/19/2018 1:16:48 AM   
MakeeLearn

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4390639&mpage=3

quote:

With Win 10 ver 1709 and a multi-core processor, I've found the following things to be possible influences on the performance of WitP:AE:

(1) Removal of -dd_sw
(2) Use of -deepColor
(3) Use of a -cpu# switch if the CPU is Intel
(4) Use of -SingleCPUOrders or -SingleCPUStart if the CPU is AMD
(5) Experiment with the use of fullscreen and windowed mode plus resolution settings
(6) Use of -multiaudio if combat replay audio doesn't sync with animations
(7) Try turning off transparency mode in Windows 10

Try different switch combinations, start off with the fewest. Swap -deepColor with -dd_sw.

The newest win10 update has caused some problems that require a reconfiguration of the switches used.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 1/19/2018 1:19:39 AM >

(in reply to bilbow)
Post #: 6
RE: No in-game sound - 1/19/2018 1:29:21 AM   
bilbow

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4390639&mpage=3

quote:

With Win 10 ver 1709 and a multi-core processor, I've found the following things to be possible influences on the performance of WitP:AE:

(1) Removal of -dd_sw
(2) Use of -deepColor
(3) Use of a -cpu# switch if the CPU is Intel
(4) Use of -SingleCPUOrders or -SingleCPUStart if the CPU is AMD
(5) Experiment with the use of fullscreen and windowed mode plus resolution settings
(6) Use of -multiaudio if combat replay audio doesn't sync with animations
(7) Try turning off transparency mode in Windows 10

Try different switch combinations, start off with the fewest. Swap -deepColor with -dd_sw.

The newest win10 update has caused some problems that require a reconfiguration of the switches used.

I saw this from Korvar, tried all of it. -multiaudio had no affect, and transparency is currently off. Full screen mode has an additional problem, namely if the program
is minimized, then on return all the text is an unreadable green garble.

- Winston Churchill

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7
RE: No in-game sound - 1/19/2018 1:35:59 AM   
MakeeLearn

Try all switch variations.

(in reply to bilbow)
Post #: 8
RE: No in-game sound - 1/19/2018 1:55:29 AM   
Korvar

For the switch combinations, MakeeLearn is right - it is a process of experimentation. For a starting point, a configuration that worked with Win 10 ver 1709 is detailed in this post. I believe Mark VII (the OP from the linked thread) is also running a newer i7.

The switches that cleared up the lag were:
-cpu2 -f -archive -deepColor -multiaudio -altFont

As for the no sound issue, it sounds (pardon the pun) an awful lot like a problem I experienced myself a few months back, as detailed in this thread.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 9
RE: No in-game sound - 1/19/2018 2:46:41 AM   
bilbow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Korvar

For the switch combinations, MakeeLearn is right - it is a process of experimentation. For a starting point, a configuration that worked with Win 10 ver 1709 is detailed in this post. I believe Mark VII (the OP from the linked thread) is also running a newer i7.

As for the no sound issue, it sounds (pardon the pun) an awful lot like a problem I experienced myself a few months back, as detailed in this thread.

Yes, I saw your "conversation" with Mark VII. Tried that combination, didn't fix the sluggishness.
I'm not ready to tear into Windows as you describe in your other post. I'll wait a bit on that one.
Thanks for looking, though. I can always go back to my older Win7 machine for now for my AE fix.

- Winston Churchill

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 10
RE: No in-game sound - 1/19/2018 4:41:14 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: bilbow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Korvar

Yes, I saw your "conversation" with Mark VII. Tried that combination, didn't fix the sluggishness.
I'm not ready to tear into Windows as you describe in your other post. I'll wait a bit on that one.
Thanks for looking, though. I can always go back to my older Win7 machine for now for my AE fix.

Try a similar sequence of switches...

-skipVideo -deepColor -dd_sw -cpu2 -px1440 -py900 -SingleCpuOrders -archive

AFAIK you haven't tried the SingleCpuOrders...

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to bilbow)
Post #: 11
RE: No in-game sound - 1/19/2018 3:08:58 PM   
Kull

quote:

To fix sluggishness, you *must* have the -dd_sw switch. Some people can live without it, you and I cannot. As for the "flicker" you are probably in my boat there as well. Quite likely that you'll need to use windows mode to fix it. The good news is you can use custom settings to develop a window that is almost identical to "full screen"

(in reply to bilbow)
Post #: 12
RE: No in-game sound - 1/19/2018 9:40:54 PM   
bilbow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

To fix sluggishness, you *must* have the -dd_sw switch. Some people can live without it, you and I cannot. As for the "flicker" you are probably in my boat there as well. Quite likely that you'll need to use windows mode to fix it. The good news is you can use custom settings to develop a window that is almost identical to "full screen"

The -dd_sw switch made a lot of difference, sluggishness and flicker are gome. I had tried it earlier to no effect, must be in comination with something else.
Here is the current switch setup: -cpu2 -f -dd_sw -archive -deepColor -altFont -px1920 -py1080
I still get flicker in window mode, but not with the -f switch. Thanks!

- Winston Churchill

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> No in-game sound Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI