Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bug report consolidation thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Bug report consolidation thread Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bug report consolidation thread - 6/3/2001 8:20:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

I am putting together the bug list for version 5.02 and want to make sure I haven't missed any. If you have posted a bug report could past a link here or repeat the problem? BUgs are repeatable things that you believe do not work as intended. THe 88 Flak shooting when unloading is a wonderul example! If you know a cause, that is a VERY big help, but things like "random opfire in online play hangs and doesn;t fire or fires at the wrong unit - no apparant reason" is good enough. Please do not report disagreements with the pref settings - so no "tigers are not accurate enough" or infantry die to much" unless it is is of such monumental proportions that you think it a bug (ie if Tigers never got more than 5% chance to hit no matter what - if its 70 and you think it should be 90, then turn up the hitting pref to 133 ;) Thank you all for your reports! We can't fix everything, but will do our best to fix what we can!

Post #: 1
- 6/3/2001 10:21:00 AM   
Totenkopf

I don't know if this is a bug, but the game often make this annoying screeching sound. There's a thread about this problem somewhere on this forum.

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 2
- 6/3/2001 10:36:00 AM   
Jack

I found when pbem and you happen to have your troops use their assault boats. They continue to be loaded status but you can see the troops on the ground. I did have a Foreward Observer disappear on me. Nowhere on the map but was able to use him to call in artillery. Does that make me a cheater? [ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: Jack ]

Post #: 3
- 6/3/2001 12:04:00 PM   
Figmo

Paul, Here's one I haven't heard mentioned yet. When you pick the "bulls eye" - e.g. "set direct fire target" - because you see some units but no units are within your firing range the game displays a line to the nearest victory hex. Sometimes, even if units are in your range it shows the line to the nearest victory as the first choice and no unit are in the hex. I don't think it should do this - correct me if I'm wrong. I can send you a save if you can't reproduce it and I tried deleting the STEEL.PRF file and that didn't fix it. Thanks, Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

Post #: 4
- 6/3/2001 1:52:00 PM   
davidcarrell

The screeching feed back noise. I usually have it occur when exiting a game.

MSG Jerry M. "Mad Dog" Shriver US Special Forces 24 APR 69 Cambodia *POW/MIA* You Are Not Forgotten www.taskforceomegainc.org

Post #: 5
- 6/3/2001 2:02:00 PM   
Resisti

Paul, good idea to do this thread,but could you post here the list you've built up so far ? Txs.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

Post #: 6
- 6/3/2001 3:42:00 PM   
Voriax

The MG teams will fire both the MG and the secondary weapon even with 1 crew. The 88mm flak bug seems to be related to the 'heavy flak' class. I did a small test with US and Soviet heavy flak guns and they all had shots available immediately after unloading them from transport. And as reminder, those bazooka teams that use HE ammo as HEAT (and have that max penetration) And the case when rifle/lmg fire causes penetrationg hits to tanks (linked to vulnerable location hit). I've had at least 3 occasions when such damage has occurred..agains very thin skinned tanks, PzI and FT-17 in my cases. Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

Post #: 7
- 6/3/2001 6:14:00 PM   
Paco

I think version 5.0x is a great improvement from version 4.x, but there are a couple of things that could be fixed: * The screeching sound appears to occur if you have the ingame music 'run for too long'. I've noticed that if I leave the game for a fast bathroom break and the game music is running, the screeching sound will appear after I come back and it won't leave even if I restart the game. Only restarting the computer will do. * The campaign screen where you change/update your units is way too unforgiving and has a few flaws apart from that. If you change one unit, there's no going back, so I you by mistake happen to change your sherman into a truck you'll be sorry. Also I think that you should be able to bring new units into your 'core force' instead of just upgrading/changing. Othwerwise, players that use their last 50 points to buy a platoon of cheap units like trucks when building up their 'core force' will have an advantage by doing this since they can upgrade those trucks to tanks, making a new tank platoon. If you're pleased with your force and find no need to upgrade any units, then you should be able to bring new units onto the battlefield. * The units listings in the encyclopedia and unit change/upgrade lists are way to unorganized apart from the 'force composition screen'. * When you build up your force for a campaign, I've noticed that sometimes only one unit will appear in the units listing after you purchased a platoon, for example, even if you have enough points. Also when the units sometimes turn red in the listing after you buy them (I suppose this is because of shortage of units), they will not go back to white if you return the units that you bought. I'm not really familiar with the changes to the units purchase system yet so please forgive me if I'm wrong. This is all I could think of right now. Hope it makes sense. /Paco

Post #: 8
- 6/4/2001 1:59:00 AM   
Perkele

Hi, I emailed this already to you some time ago, just trying to make sure this gets fixed... Units classified as light infantry can't inititate melee combat. Also there something bizarre about infantry untis numbered 135-140 in Finnish OOB. They have ROF 6. Pretty much every other infantry unit have ROF 9. Also their cost is compared to units 128-133 isn't right. The range 135-140 is identical to 128-133 except for the ROF and infantry/light infantry classifation. Some units in the range 135-140 cost more and some cost less than their equivalent unit in the 128-133 range. Wierd. Maybe I'm missing something here. -perkele

"Open up Ivan, the Death is knocking!" - Knight of the Mannerheim Cross Einar Schadewitz while standing atop of a Soviet tank and banging a hatch with a hand grenade.

Post #: 9
- 6/4/2001 4:23:00 AM   
Alexandra

* The campaign screen where you change/update your units is way too unforgiving and has a few flaws apart from that. If you change one unit, there's no going back, so I you by mistake happen to change your sherman into a truck you'll be sorry. Also I think that you should be able to bring new units into your 'core force' instead of just upgrading/changing. Othwerwise, players that use their last 50 points to buy a platoon of cheap units like trucks when building up their 'core force' will have an advantage by doing this since they can upgrade those trucks to tanks, making a new tank platoon. If you're pleased with your force and find no need to upgrade any units, then you should be able to bring new units onto the battlefield. This isn't a bug as such. The first part is just a paying attention to detail thing. The second, adding to the core, is something I don't think the engine can handle. Even if it could, there'd have to be all sorts of code written for when you get promoted, how many additional units you'd be authorized, etc. I'd love to see this too, but I don't think it can be done in SP. Maybe in Combat Leader :) * When you build up your force for a campaign, I've noticed that sometimes only one unit will appear in the units listing after you purchased a platoon, for example, even if you have enough points. Also when the units sometimes turn red in the listing after you buy them (I suppose this is because of shortage of units), they will not go back to white if you return the units that you bought. I'm not really familiar with the changes to the units purchase system yet so please forgive me if I'm wrong. The red means a unit is rarity unavailable. The reason that once bought it doesn't go back to white if you 'give it back' is to prevent PBeM purchasers from buying a unit, seeing it then go red, giving it back, buying it again, etc, which would allow a player to work around the rarity. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

Post #: 10
- 6/4/2001 5:04:00 AM   
DELTA32

Here's a neat bug....kind of like this one. When playing solitaire (not sure about PBEM) tank kills post just fine for the firing unit. However....if you finish off any surviving crews by other means....it awards the crew-killing unit with an armor kill ! I actually love this bug....my armor kills the vehicle...and my supporting MG gunners finish off the crews, getting themselves a Tank Kill Badge too ! Everyone wins. Iron Crosses for all !!! Delta 3-2

Post #: 11
- 6/4/2001 5:37:00 AM   
Stuart Millis

quote:

Originally posted by Perkele: Hi, Also there something bizarre about infantry untis numbered 135-140 in Finnish OOB. They have ROF 6. Pretty much every other infantry unit have ROF 9. Also their cost is compared to units 128-133 isn't right. The range 135-140 is identical to 128-133 except for the ROF and infantry/light infantry classifation. Some units in the range 135-140 cost more and some cost less than their equivalent unit in the 128-133 range. Wierd. Maybe I'm missing something here. -perkele
As they stand, the costs should be as follows: 135- 24 136- 24 137- 26 138- 26 139- 24 140- 24 Perhaps Voriax can answer why the ROF is 6? Was it intended that this reduced ROF should be accompanied with a higher FC?

Post #: 12
- 6/4/2001 5:40:00 AM   
Stuart Millis

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: BUgs are repeatable things that you believe do not work as intended. THe 88 Flak shooting when unloading is a wonderul example!
A long, long time ago this very topic was discussed at length. It was pointed out that the Flak 18 could be fired without unloading from the road wheels. However the possibility that this characteristic has been carried over to all guns of this class indicates a bug.

Post #: 13
- 6/4/2001 6:29:00 AM   
Zorachus99

I'm sure this is well known, and I did perform a search to see if I could find anything. Both my friend and I have 4 network adapters installed under microsoft networking. Because of this, both versions of steel cannot find the internet connected adapter. This makes it impossible for us to play Spwaw over the internet. Is there a workaround to force steel to use a user-defined network adapter? Thanks, Justin

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

Post #: 14
- 6/4/2001 6:39:00 AM   
Fritz

I noticed this one when fighting ( solitare ) the Long WWII campaign. I as playing the Japanese and started out fighting in East Asia till about late '42 then switched to the Pacific till late '43, ( up to this point no problems except for a near continuous lack of visibility distance ) then back to East Asia where I was fighting the British. The first two battles back in East Asia I was defending against a British assault which I easily defeated in a few turns as there was only a few platoons of Airborne troops and a couple of Recce Platoons on the British side. I doubt there was more than 200-300 points of British side against my several thousand points of Japanese. Remebering back into the mists of time I think this bug occured in arlier versions of the game. Cheers, Chris

Post #: 15
- 6/4/2001 8:12:00 AM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by Figmo: Paul, Here's one I haven't heard mentioned yet. When you pick the "bulls eye" - e.g. "set direct fire target" - because you see some units but no units are within your firing range the game displays a line to the nearest victory hex. Sometimes, even if units are in your range it shows the line to the nearest victory as the first choice and no unit are in the hex. I don't think it should do this - correct me if I'm wrong. I can send you a save if you can't reproduce it and I tried deleting the STEEL.PRF file and that didn't fix it. Thanks, Figmo
Also seen this, but going further, if you hit the "N" key for the next target, it then targets the upper lefthand corner hex (I.E. your rear upper hex) [ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: Alby ]

Post #: 16
- 6/4/2001 8:24:00 AM   
Alby

AIR SECTION BUG,,, have to start game, set prefs, then exit game, then, restart to get any air sections. at least I think thats how, not even really sure. They keep resetting to 0 after evrygame. just a reminder ;) ;) [ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: Alby ]

Post #: 17
- 6/4/2001 2:52:00 PM   
Resisti

This is a copy/paste from a previous post of mines: 1)WRONG TURNS:the game change randomly the # of turns you set. 2)CUSTOM MAPS: problems(impossibility) to choose a custom map to play pbem; it works with random ones instead 3)"SAVE GAME FAILED TO LOAD" OR THE "REC FILE NON UPDATED" BUG This is the most devastating one,cause it gives you no other choice than to clear the slot and start again(what abt if this happens at the last turn? I dont want imagine that!) 4)STRANGE TARGETING units suddenly keep targeting the up left corner of the map or enemy victory hexes.... [ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: Resisti ]

Post #: 18
- 6/4/2001 3:09:00 PM   
Kharan

Just making sure... Reinforcement and retreat flags are left out in generated battles with a custom map. Workaround is to load the map once in a hotseat game before starting the real game. Also, R-flags do not get saved in a map. ( http://www.matrixgames.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=004057 ) All slot 4 weapons which have a warhead greater than 3 have a 360 degree firing arc. ( http://www.matrixgames.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=004219 ) Prevent the receiving party of an airstrike seeing the opposing player's troops. Vehicles immobilized in the editor often get fixed at the start of the scenario. There's a bug with setting artillery and spec ops target hexes. To see what I mean, select the first scenario "The Agony of Doom", go to unit U0 and press "B", set the first mortars target. When you set the second unit's target somewhere else, the first target is moved there too. With C&C on, clicking on each recon unit for the first time does not display the movement range correctly. Fix vehicle crews being added automatically to kill score (if you kill them, they are counted twice). When the unit's side does not surrender, the crew is added twice (if you kill them, they are counted three times). Unit availability is rerandomized every time you enter reinforcement purchase screen and is not carried over from the initial purchase phase. Shouldn't there be an asterisk setting in the preferences? How should a timeout work? The manual probably incorrectly states it's identical to a command intervention, but in practise it only pauses the game for the duration of the fanfare (3 seconds). Live delay and Message delay defaults are back to 200 and 10 in v5.1. Bomb strike with Fast Arty off only displays the first bombed hex, then the screen jumps to your troops while the other bombs fall. With Fast Arty on it doesn't show anything, only plays 1/4 second of the bombing sound effect. The screeching sound with SB Live.

Post #: 19
- 6/4/2001 3:24:00 PM   
Mikimoto

Hello. 1. I have seen this bug: When it is my turn and I fire one unit against the enemy, the system says "special ops fire". It's impossible to be op/overwatch fire because it's my turn. 2. And this too: Sometimes infantry weapons (rifles and light machineguns) do damage, even destroy, light armoured vehicles (I remember a FT-17 destroyed by MG34) when "vulnerable hit location" is displayed. But, please, let it in the game, I love this! 3. I don't know if this is a bug: When I do an airlanding assault, the enemy fires against the gliders, but never against the transport airplanes. It was in the first turn of the scenario (generated campaign). Perhaps they fire when the gliders are touching earth (those 4 hexes of inertia land movement) but I am not sure. 4. Wish list, not bugs: mortars as lone units (not *2 *3 etc..). A button for oriented battles (infantry heavy or tank heavy opponents). Possibility of adding more units to the core force, spending a lot of points (value of the unit *10, for example). And no more... It's a great game!!! :D

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

Post #: 20
- 6/4/2001 3:35:00 PM   
James P

quote:

Originally posted by Resisti: This is a copy/paste from a previous post of mines: 3)"SAVE GAME FAILED TO LOAD" OR THE "REC FILE NON UPDATED" BUG This is the most devastating one,cause it gives you no other choice than to clear the slot and start again(what abt if this happens at the last turn? I dont want imagine that!) [ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: Resisti ]
To add mine, as above the killer for secure PBEM games is the "saved game fail to load" / Rec file not updating bug. full topic at: http://www.matrixgames.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=000158 And the newish one of unsecured PBEM crashing when trying to save, full topic at: http://www.matrixgames.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=000181 Whole suggestion from Paul V about re-working PBEM games around a central server, rather than zip, send, unzip,sound fantastic IMHO :) Finally the "odd" one of the game crashing back to the windows desktop when hitting "start turn" after entering the pasword in a PBEM game. The batlefield noise starts to play, but before the map appears the game dies. The "fix" for this is to access a saved solitaire save game vs the PC, then quit straight away, then go back into the PBEM game - sounds stupid but it works!!!

Cheers, JP

Post #: 21
- 6/4/2001 3:44:00 PM   
Resisti

quote:

Originally posted by Kharan: Unit availability is rerandomized every time you enter reinforcement purchase screen and is not carried over from the initial purchase phase.
Yep,I noticed it,too. Dunno if it is intentional,but shouldnt be that way, I think.

Post #: 22
- 6/4/2001 7:47:00 PM   
Alexandra

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DELTA3-2: [QB]Here's a neat bug....kind of like this one. When playing solitaire (not sure about PBEM) tank kills post just fine for the firing unit. However....if you finish off any surviving crews by other means....it awards the crew-killing unit with an armor kill ! I actually love this bug....my armor kills the vehicle...and my supporting MG gunners finish off the crews, getting themselves a Tank Kill Badge too ! Everyone wins. Iron Crosses for all !!! That's not a bug. The kills marks are not armor kills. They are unit kills. Whenever one of your units destroys any other unit it gets a little kill badge. Probably the game uses tanks for it cause they look cool :) And it's easier than coming up with one for each type of unit. I only wish sniper kills could be tracked by individual men :) Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

Post #: 23
- 6/5/2001 12:08:00 AM   
miharme

An annoying little thing - When playing Italy vs. Greece in late 1940/early 1941, the battle location is desert. In ver. 4.5 it was correctly mountains.

Post #: 24
- 6/5/2001 1:47:00 AM   
Colonel von Blitz

I dunno if this is a bug or intentional feature and this has been discussed some time ago. Routed or retreating enemy units regain pinned status and return fire after my units have fired at them. Also if there are several retreating or routed units in a single hex and you fire at one of them with small arms, units in that hex regain pinned status, sometimes even returning fire. Colonel von Blitz

--Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak--

Post #: 25
- 6/5/2001 1:59:00 AM   
heintz28

Stacking limits on bridges dont seem to be enforced. I had 5 PzIVe's on one wooden bridge hex. Manual says there should be a limit.

Post #: 26
- 6/5/2001 2:09:00 AM   
Sgt. Rick

Fighter-Bombers with WAY too bombs! When using FB's like the P-47D, it unloads 4 bombs each over 4 hexes! For a total of 16 bombs! That seems a bit much. I have seen this over a couple of versions. Is this a bug, or does the single fighter icon, represent a number of aircraft? Also, after the bomb run, when the aircraft becomes available on the artillery screen again, they have full bomb loads again! While it's nice if it is on your side, it becomes hell for the other side. Anyone else agree? Rick

Post #: 27
- 6/5/2001 2:14:00 AM   
Jester

i've founded that in king of the hill scenario during a tank assault, my tank didn't target to the visible enemy, but draw a line, if i don't remember bad, to 99 hex, that is towards a completely different direction. i've got a save file, because it seemed strange to me. if i can resume the mistake during this week-end i can send it. let me know. jester

Post #: 28
- 6/5/2001 6:31:00 AM   
FrankyVas

A lot of the Italian OOB's pictures are screwy. Most of their aircraft pictures show tanks or infantry. Some of the planes show up in the 75mm guns. Also, in the Norwegian OOB, the destroyer's picture shows some weird tank with a big gun :confused: Frank V.

Post #: 29
- 6/5/2001 7:33:00 AM   
ruxius

quote:

Originally posted by FrankyVas: A lot of the Italian OOB's pictures are screwy. Most of their aircraft pictures show tanks or infantry
I can confirm this on my copy of SPWAW 5.1 and also there is not any ammo carrier unit except if you buy an entire "Arm'd Rec Bn" (20 armored tanks , and only one ammo carrier) Also pack mules were mainly used by italians to carry ammo (i.e for 47mmAT-guns..)rather than transporting units.. - I suffered a "override security warning ? (Y/N)" on a secure PBEM game each turn I was starting ...at least this prevented my opponent to see results I mailed to him after the battle ended...the SAVE SCORE button was red and I couldn't save the score..consequently he could not open the files I sent to him...but he says he has not this problem with other players.. I can mail my files if you need them... In a campaign (Utah to Rhine) I noticed I had some units (infantry but also AFV) with low damage..(1 or 2)right-clicking on it : but they reported 0 damage in the build menu..the next battle they kept that damage unchanged...so I tried to reload the files and during the rebuild menu I pressed the fix button on them even if they were showing 0 damage..but nothing to do..the only way to nullify their damage was changing the unit with a new one of the same type... (I also had some dead Leader names replaced with other already existent..but this is not a problem cause I can change them manually ) I would add..is it impossible to add the correspondant formation's letter to the units listed in the build menu ? and also a save button there ? it would be very comfortable...I will offer an exiciting cooperative campaign to each Matrix enforcer who would like to proove himself that changes are very comfortable.. (I really don't know why am I reporting also about this but...) When entering Solitaire Play..then CAmpaign..then exit..then PBEM games..then CAmpaign button is green...I can select it and make a campaign starting..(I was DREAMING a PBEM campaign was possible..) but it's not a properly a bug as it makes you playing that campaign in a solitary mode.. The amount of Mines purchased is not shown in the purchase menu..and mines' purchasing can not be deleted .. ----- Yes but also let me say now Italians have some new pictures and units that are GREAATT ! Like Arditi and Folgore , Alpini...RSI Militia , Sezione Gamma , Askari ,PArtisans..CIL troops..an outstanding new quality for Italians troops ! COMPLIMENTS !!!!!REALLY COMPLIMENTS !! sorry I could not be silent on this... --------------------- [ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: ruxius ]

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Bug report consolidation thread Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI