Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA (AXIS) vs M60 (Soviet) (M60 welcome)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA (AXIS) vs M60 (Soviet) (M60 welcome) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 6:36:30 AM   
Tomcat84

That is only slightly fewer kills than I had on my whole first turn on all fronts lol

Of course that was before I had any clue on how to efficiently move bases forward etc. but this is (to me mr noob) interesting stuff. Thanks, look forward to the continuation (sleep is a bit of a lame excuse, the war does not wait! ;) )

My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 31
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 7:15:17 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomcat84

That is only slightly fewer kills than I had on my whole first turn on all fronts lol

Of course that was before I had any clue on how to efficiently move bases forward etc. but this is (to me mr noob) interesting stuff. Thanks, look forward to the continuation (sleep is a bit of a lame excuse, the war does not wait! ;) )

Welllllllllll, I went to bed, gave the wife some attention and tried to sleep. I couldn't........ So I came back to the computer to try and work on the South's movement. I will give the overall picture of the south (it isn't done yet since I have a lot of misc movement but my grey matter muscle memory is coming back to me on what the Germans need to do. I can say 100% having "Better CV" is making this easy for me to tell when a unit will route and how much I need for an attack. So Far I have been able to get most routes into the swamp (where if they rally those tanks will take forever to get out of there or M60 will have to use rail or disband them). Without further ado here is what the South looks like as I head to bed. If people want to see details on the different combat I can probably post that too.

3 of these pockets should hold but you never know. M60 May get a lucky roll. Don't laugh I have seen it happen against me. Plus M60 and others that have played me know this setup in the South. If it wasn't for a pesky mech unit I would have had the large tank formation cut off from supply too. But I had a pesky Mech unit that in almost all other games routes or shatters on first hit. This one mech unit took a bit to get rid of :(

Let me know your thoughts

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tomcat84)
Post #: 32
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 8:44:04 AM   
Nix77

That's nearly a perfect opening in the south! Having the 1st Cav as mechanized really helps to seal the fate of those big mechs east of Rovno.

Not sure it's a good thing though... The big Lvov pocket gives a huge head start for the Germans in the south, which is maybe a bit unhistorical. Kiev's gates and the Dnepr is usually breached way too early by an efficient German player with a good opening. But whatever, that's how I would do it :)

Post #: 33
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 12:52:39 PM   
lastkozak

Hmmm....

1) Would love a copy of that file, so I can see what the Soviets can do on their first turn!
2) Question, how many times have you run through that first Turn in the south, to perfect that opening?
3) How many times did the Germans get to rehearse/practice their first few days of the invasion?
4) The Germans never had 100% recon, yet bc every player has seen the Soviet set up, and they get to try the German opening move multiple times, and the Soviets are always in the exact same positions, making victory easier and easier for a German player.
5) What if the game started after a historical 1st turn by the Germans? How would the game play out then?

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 34
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 1:04:29 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: lastkozak

Hmmm....

1) Would love a copy of that file, so I can see what the Soviets can do on their first turn!
2) Question, how many times have you run through that first Turn in the south, to perfect that opening?
3) How many times did the Germans get to rehearse/practice their first few days of the invasion?
4) The Germans never had 100% recon, yet bc every player has seen the Soviet set up, and they get to try the German opening move multiple times, and the Soviets are always in the exact same positions, making victory easier and easier for a German player.
5) What if the game started after a historical 1st turn by the Germans? How would the game play out then?

It all depends on how much the Soviets want to commit, then loose those too ;-). This has been my standard opening for Germany for awhile now. The Cavalry unit being Mech now just means I clear a few more hexes for the coming turn is all. But I can tell you Lastkozak you bunch up on me like you did in your game you may not like the results ;-)

I'm not going to get into the "historical" and "non-historical" part about the move. But I will say if you are a "historical" person looking for a historical game against me there are two ways of doing so. 1st put in the so called house rules limiting such action. I actually did this in my first game with M60 & I'm sure he still has the email ;-)(he declined and we went with a standard game) The 2nd way is just don't play me because I will more than likely not leave you happy historically. I don't mean this to be rude or anything I'm just saying I'm going to push these little pixels to the max to get the best benefit from them. EOL (end of line)

Again I'm not trying to be rude

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 1/29/2018 1:57:19 PM >

(in reply to lastkozak)
Post #: 35
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 1:13:24 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

Hmmm....

It all depends on how much the Soviets want to commit, then loose those too ;-). This has been my standard opening for Germany for awhile now. The Cavalry unit being Mech now just means I clear a few more hexes for the coming turn is all. But I can tell you Lastkozak you bunch up on me like you did in your game you may not like the results ;-)

I'm not going to get into the "historical" and "non-historical" part about the move. But I will say if you are a "historical" person looking for a historical game against me there are two ways of doing so. 1st put in the so called house rules limiting such action. I actually did this in my first game with M60 & I'm sure he still has the email ;-). 2nd way is just don't play me because I will more than likely not leave you happy historically. I don't mean this to be rude or anything I'm just saying I'm going to push these little pixels to the max to get the best benefit from them. EOL (end of line)

Here is a picture of a game last year that someone wanted to get up close and personal in the south and the end of my 2nd turn. Didn't work out well in the south for him. Remember the Germans are almost "full" of fuel on the 2nd turn and even a surrounded German unit will have very good movement.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 36
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 1:20:04 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Here is another with a semi defense up front. Same result, more lost units needlessly imo. See I'm after your units and you put them up there I will gobble them up.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 37
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 1:27:39 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Her is another. (I have many many more if you want them) Again there is a limit of how many Soviet units can be lost & still hold a viable front. I aim to deprive you of that total 1st and foremost. Not to mention the destroyed units have to refit, train up, and walk back to the front (or use up the rail net). As a Soviet you are walking a very sharp razor edge & I'm going to try may darnest to nudge you just enough to make you fall and cut yourself in half on that knife.

(P.S. sorry about the quality I'm on a different computer at the moment)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 38
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 1:33:32 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

This was M60's reply to that opening last time. IMO it was the right thing to do considering he would have more than likely lost anything that was put up against me. But I have seen both up close and retreat away. I'm after your units leave them for me to "exterminate" at your own pearl.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 1/29/2018 2:15:22 PM >

Post #: 39
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 1:51:32 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Yes, anyone that has played me knows I recon like crazy to find units marked for "extermination" along with my dreaded arrow pointing to my objective. I have yet to decide to do such an arrow in this game yet. Time will tell. But here was the arrow in M60's game last time.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 40
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 1:55:40 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Bleh I sux at this. posted wrong. (And I am supposed to be leading a crusade and can't even post correctly, sheesh)

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 1/29/2018 1:58:10 PM >

Post #: 41
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 2:03:33 PM   
lowsugar

Looking forward to see north and centre.

Post #: 42
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 2:08:33 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: lowsugar

Looking forward to see north and centre.

going to be a little bit since I still have to practice my Center move to make sure I get the moves correctly done. I'm almost done there but I can't have a slip up. It isn't as bad as the Souths but can be nerve racking.

Still to come are 2 more sets of "Dive Bomber" mayhem yet to come(pin a medal on their chest). Along with the level bombers which have yet to be used (except for one airbase attached to Luft 4.

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 1/29/2018 2:09:44 PM >

(in reply to lowsugar)
Post #: 43
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 3:34:24 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

OK, back to the real game. Now for some more "Dive Bomber Mayhem". This time we turn our attention to the North with STG-1 this time. Their job is a little bit easier with only 4 airbases needed to be "exterminated". Without further ado here are our lightweights compared to STG-77.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 44
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 3:34:58 PM   
lastkozak

HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

I don't mean this to be rude or anything I'm just saying I'm going to push these little pixels to the max to get the best benefit from them. EOL (end of line)

I would not call it being rude, but obviously I struck a nerve!

When one uses the word "you", it implies a direct individual or a group (especially when used as the subject), thus placing the writer in an opposing group. Once that is done, the writer and reader are no longer in the same group, but are in two opposing groups. (Bro Code Tip#1: never a good idea to do in a relationship)

A pre-emptive apology, by declaring one is not attempting to be rude, the introduction of other topics, like another game I am playing with somebody else, and emphasizing a particular emotionally eliciting word in quotations, that are not normally used in such a situation ("exterminate"), and references to a game which the writer and reader are not playing (a fictitious reality), followed by the introduction of past glory (pictures of moves in past games), leaves me wondering what nerve did I strike?

My questions, I believe are valid questions and worthy of discussion, since statistically the Germans have an edge, due to their excessive knowledge and ability to practice their first move. WITE is a "GAME"!!!! With that comes 'gamey play', and a question of how close should such a game come to the reality of the historical period. My main point is, if a German Player is in the position of being in Command of OKH, or are his decisions those of the supreme leader of Germany? If the Supreme leader, then the Soviet player is also, and should be allowed to change their deployment, to compensate them for the excessive recon the Germans have due to playing turn one numerous times. If the German player is only in charge of OKH, and must obey the original plans, then the Soviet is only in command of Stavka on down.

As you have called into question the need for more historical controls via 'house rules', in other posts, it seems odd that you would then say the complete opposite here, now. My comments should not take away your leanered lessons from past games, but I believe my point is valid, a German Player has an edge, because they know all of the Soviet positions, and are better rehearsed than the Germans actually were. The Soviets get none of this advantage on the first turn.

Others say you are a great player; I too think you are very leanered in the game mechanics. However by your own words, you claim that you are not a great player. I believe if you wish to find an answer to that question, then a 1941-45 game should be played where the Germans do not get the edge in their first turn, by either allowing the Soviets to change their deployment a tiny bit (every unit 1 or 2 hexes), or by placing the German units in the same positions they were in historically on June 26, 1941, and starting the game with the Soviets. Thus from there on the Germans are on their own, with no real advantage of the first turn. At a minimum, Army Group 2, has to follow the original plan on Turn 1.

The leader of OKH, would have been shot had he diverged in anyway from the original Barbarossa plan supported by Hitler. If then the player can diverge from that, then the Soviets should be able to diverge from the defense plan which had been supported by Stalin.

If you were victorious in that scenario, you may then see why others on the forum, say you are a Great player!

Post #: 45
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 3:35:45 PM   
SparkleyTits

I do love the recon psyops

Post #: 46
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 3:38:31 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Circled in yellow are our 4 bases that have been targeted that these madmen will go after. They will also have fighter support of 1(2 if needed)squadron of 109's from the fighter base circled in red to the NW. Please note that all other bombers & fighters are set to night except for these stukas and 109s. (Makes life easy since only they will show up for bombing each time). The goal is to knock all these bases to 0 planes and still come in under 30% for future ground support.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 1/29/2018 3:46:10 PM >

Post #: 47
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 3:41:11 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

I won't get into the bloody detail but all bases knocked out with just a bit of air miles still available.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 48
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 3:44:20 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Still haven't used the bombers for North/Central and most of South so far. Soviet airframes destroyed so far 3,758 to 36 German. Still have one more set of "Dive Bomber/Tactical bomber Mayhem" coming up. But I have to clear a path for that to happen. I just needed the ground support from the stukas to help with the opening :)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 49
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 3:52:31 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

I don't mean this to be rude or anything I'm just saying I'm going to push these little pixels to the max to get the best benefit from them. EOL (end of line)

I would not call it being rude, but obviously I struck a nerve!

When one uses the word "you", it implies a direct individual or a group (especially when used as the subject), thus placing the writer in an opposing group. Once that is done, the writer and reader are no longer in the same group, but are in two opposing groups. (Bro Code Tip#1: never a good idea to do in a relationship)

A pre-emptive apology, by declaring one is not attempting to be rude, the introduction of other topics, like another game I am playing with somebody else, and emphasizing a particular emotionally eliciting word in quotations, that are not normally used in such a situation ("exterminate"), and references to a game which the writer and reader are not playing (a fictitious reality), followed by the introduction of past glory (pictures of moves in past games), leaves me wondering what nerve did I strike?

My questions, I believe are valid questions and worthy of discussion, since statistically the Germans have an edge, due to their excessive knowledge and ability to practice their first move. WITE is a "GAME"!!!! With that comes 'gamey play', and a question of how close should such a game come to the reality of the historical period. My main point is, if a German Player is in the position of being in Command of OKH, or are his decisions those of the supreme leader of Germany? If the Supreme leader, then the Soviet player is also, and should be allowed to change their deployment, to compensate them for the excessive recon the Germans have due to playing turn one numerous times. If the German player is only in charge of OKH, and must obey the original plans, then the Soviet is only in command of Stavka on down.

As you have called into question the need for more historical controls via 'house rules', in other posts, it seems odd that you would then say the complete opposite here, now. My comments should not take away your leanered lessons from past games, but I believe my point is valid, a German Player has an edge, because they know all of the Soviet positions, and are better rehearsed than the Germans actually were. The Soviets get none of this advantage on the first turn.

Others say you are a great player; I too think you are very leanered in the game mechanics. However by your own words, you claim that you are not a great player. I believe if you wish to find an answer to that question, then a 1941-45 game should be played where the Germans do not get the edge in their first turn, by either allowing the Soviets to change their deployment a tiny bit (every unit 1 or 2 hexes), or by placing the German units in the same positions they were in historically on June 26, 1941, and starting the game with the Soviets. Thus from there on the Germans are on their own, with no real advantage of the first turn. At a minimum, Army Group 2, has to follow the original plan on Turn 1.

The leader of OKH, would have been shot had he diverged in anyway from the original Barbarossa plan supported by Hitler. If then the player can diverge from that, then the Soviets should be able to diverge from the defense plan which had been supported by Stalin.

If you were victorious in that scenario, you may then see why others on the forum, say you are a Great player!

As I have always said I'm not nor will I ever be a great player. We are always learning.

As for discussing the historical aspect I tell you what. Lets roll a die. Even you win, odd I lose. See you win. Now back to the game as it was agreed upon by M60 and myself :)

(in reply to lastkozak)
Post #: 50
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 3:53:39 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

I do love the recon psyops

Ya, I just don't know how many people ever saw it in my games ;-). Just haven't decided if I will do this time.

(in reply to SparkleyTits)
Post #: 51
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 4:11:59 PM   
lastkozak

quote:

HardLuckYetAgain

As for discussing the historical aspect I tell you what. Lets roll a die. Even you win, odd I lose. See you win. Now back to the game as it was agreed upon by M60 and myself :)

Now THAT! Was Rude!

Post #: 52
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 4:15:49 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

HardLuckYetAgain

Now THAT! Was Rude!

Open up a new thread in the War Room with the subject matter and will be happy to discuss it there :)

(in reply to lastkozak)
Post #: 53
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 6:59:06 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

The last group of hodge podge Dive bombers and Tact bombers will take out 4 bases. After these guys are done I will move the bomber bases up and bomb units in the back. Should be able to get over 5k and I"m 100% sure others have a better method than mine. Always open to ideas :)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 54
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 7:01:39 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Here are the 4 bases the hodge podge group will go after. Please note that the airbase will have to move 1 hex west after completing the 3 airbases with yellow lines to them. Once done it will start on the last airbase to the SW.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 55
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 7:42:58 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Had to do a conference call :(. But finally completed the bombing of these 4 bases. Had to use some LB's to finish off one of the bases :(

Sitting at 4628 Soviets lost to 38 Germans. I should be able to get 200-400 more to be just over 5k. We shall see. Hope this has helped some figure out a different way to get some aircraft kills. Since this is probably my last WITE 1.0 game I figured I would try and help.

*****NOTE****. I'm quickly running out of close aircraft to "exterminate". (I'm sure the shoe is going to be on the other foot soon enough, might as well have a little fun before the ants take down the elephant)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 1/29/2018 7:45:24 PM >

Post #: 56
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 8:21:59 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Time for "TEA and Crumpets"!!!!!! It is my Birthday and my wife wants to go out to eat, lol. Should be able to finish up when I return, hopefully.

Post #: 57
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 9:56:30 PM   
smokindave34

Slightly off topic.....what's the "13" in your signature line?

Post #: 58
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 10:00:03 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: smokindave34

Figured it is appropriate to go with the name "HardLuckYetAgain" to have the number 13. Plus it is the cabin number of the girl firing the Tommy gun in the photo to the left ;-)

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 59
RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA ... - 1/29/2018 10:46:12 PM   
smokindave34

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: smokindave34

Figured it is appropriate to go with the name "HardLuckYetAgain" to have the number 13. Plus it is the cabin number of the girl firing the Tommy gun in the photo to the left ;-)

It's all coming together for me now!

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: VERNICHTUNGSKRIEG!!!!! (War of Extermination) HLYA (AXIS) vs M60 (Soviet) (M60 welcome) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI