Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 6/5/2001 8:24:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

SGT RIck - turn Limited Ammo on...

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 31
- 6/5/2001 9:34:00 AM   
Igor

Assuming that MGs killing tanks isn't a badly documented feature (if so, ignore the following)... I set up a test range of MG 34s against Polish light tanks; 12 TK 3s, 3 WZ 34s, 2 Vickers dw's, 3 Vickers jw's, and 12 7 TPs. The range was 150 yards (3 hexes), the troops were all regulars, all shots were frontal, the MGs fired for one full turn (basically, 5 shots or until the tank died); and I ran the test twice. The results were as follows; no 7 TPs were damaged, 2 TK 3s were destroyed outright and 3 more were abandoned when one of the crew was killed, 1 WZ 34 was destroyed (three crew bailed), 1 Vickers dw was destroyed, and no Vickers jw was damaged. It should be noted that no 7 TP, with a frontal armor above the soft kill rating of the MG 34 (16) was damaged out of roughly 120 shots; while the other vehicles with lower frontal armor suffered 7 destroyed or put out of action from roughly 200 shots. All kills were the result of MG fire (the rifles never inflicted any damage), and all occurred on a "vulnerable location" hit. I don't know the percentage chance of such a hit at 3 hexes; someone who does could figure out a rough ratio of kills to vulnerable location hits from the above. I never saw any messages regarding any equipment damage, btw. Either the tank died, crew died inside a buttoned up vehicle, or nothing happened at all.

Post #: 32
- 6/5/2001 10:41:00 AM   
monsternav

Reduced ammo only seems to work once. If a core unit is not destroyed and rebuilt or changed (i.e.PzIII to PzIV)it will always have a full load of ammo. Support and Aux units seem to have their ammo reduced correctly as it is always their first battle with you.

Craig Homer<br />Semper Fidelis

Post #: 33
- 6/5/2001 11:13:00 AM   
sg

Playing the Normandy Gold campaign, in the second or third battle an offboard naval artillery battery was useless as it was armed with 4 machine guns. Don't know if this is a problem with the British oob or just a glitch in the setup of the campaign battle...just thought I'd report it. Steve

"****, we're in a tight spot!"
Ulysses Everett McGill.

Post #: 34
- 6/5/2001 3:25:00 PM   
Echelon

Needs to be a way to force the screen resolution!!! Mine doesn't switch to 800x600 but stays at a much lower level. Most games have more than one mode that can be set by a button or a command-line-switch. :(

Post #: 35
- 6/5/2001 7:29:00 PM   
TheZel66

Paul, I noticed that when I'm designing a scenerio, and in the process of buying units, the total unit cost at the top of my selected units get reset to 0 everytime i go in and out of the buy units screen. If I want to change the units, or add/remove units from my intial selection, I have no idea how many total points there are, and no good way to keep sides balanced.

Post #: 36
- 6/5/2001 8:07:00 PM   
Halgary

Scroll delay seems to be ignored during deploy. This makes deploying impossible without zoom-out -function on faster machines. Tank corpses sometimes disappear during online game. Not serious, but makes the game feel less reliable.

Post #: 37
- 6/5/2001 8:58:00 PM   
risto.nikula

quote:

A lot of the Italian OOB's pictures are screwy
I can also confirm this with spwaw 5.01

Nemo saltat sorbius, nisi infanus est

Post #: 38
- 6/5/2001 9:26:00 PM   
Rhodan

The screeching sound is definitely a problem, although it is not an exclusive 5.X problem. It occured at times in the 4.x series as well and I even had it in SP3. It happens at totally random moments but seems to be related to the music, not the sound effects.

[img]http://www.geocities.com/katzzuck/VCFIREFLY.txt[/img]

Post #: 39
- 6/5/2001 9:38:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

IGOR - that is a result of the vulnerable location hit as you say that was added after teh manual was done. It address the problem many have pointed out regarding vulnerability of light armor to concentrated MG fire on vission blocks, hatches, unbuttoned crew members etc. At least for light armor... Vulnerable location hits occur about 8% of the time at 3 hexes or less and 2% of the time beyond that for AP. 12%/3% for HEAT and 4%/16% for HE. The HE kill of MGs count as HE, this was originally not intended, but a seridipitous (IMO) outcome fo the new routine. Sorry - its hard to keep track of the intereactions of everything that gets added! But hopefully is is seen as a "FIX" not a BUG... :cool: [ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: Paul Vebber ]

Post #: 40
- 6/5/2001 9:55:00 PM   
ruxius

About this I couldn't still say which are the circumstances in which it happens but sometimes the game doesn't show the messages in the gray sidebar in the bottom (where shots,moves and orders are reported..) other times it works..I ask if anyone has never seen about this.. Consider that I never change buttons in the rpeferences menu..so it's not a question of allowing them or not..

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

Post #: 41
- 6/5/2001 10:25:00 PM   
BA Evans

The symbol of a tank is just a symbol of ANY kill. You get a kill marker for anything you kill, not just tanks. BA Evans
quote:

Originally posted by DELTA3-2: Here's a neat bug....kind of like this one. When playing solitaire (not sure about PBEM) tank kills post just fine for the firing unit. However....if you finish off any surviving crews by other means....it awards the crew-killing unit with an armor kill ! I actually love this bug....my armor kills the vehicle...and my supporting MG gunners finish off the crews, getting themselves a Tank Kill Badge too ! Everyone wins. Iron Crosses for all !!! Delta 3-2

Post #: 42
- 6/5/2001 10:33:00 PM   
BA Evans

Don't use unlimited ammo and you won't have this problem. BA Evans
quote:

Originally posted by Sgt. Rick: Fighter-Bombers with WAY too bombs! When using FB's like the P-47D, it unloads 4 bombs each over 4 hexes! For a total of 16 bombs! That seems a bit much. I have seen this over a couple of versions. Is this a bug, or does the single fighter icon, represent a number of aircraft? Also, after the bomb run, when the aircraft becomes available on the artillery screen again, they have full bomb loads again! While it's nice if it is on your side, it becomes hell for the other side. Anyone else agree? Rick

Post #: 43
- 6/6/2001 6:40:00 AM   
Fritz

Another couple from the long WWII campaign. I was fighting Germans vs British in the Western Desert. Checking the British forces after the battle I noticed that the computer had purchased something like 20+ infantry Platoon HQs which had no infantry squads attached. Obviously with the rarity choice enabled the computer had run out of infantry squads but still tried to buy them. One solution could be to turn off rarity when the computer is purchasing units, it needs all the help it can get in any case. The other one I don't know if it is a bug or a feature. The computer seems to be purchasing next to no OB artillery although it seems to be trying to target this non-existent artillery during the intial setup turn of the game. I know the amount of OB artillery available to the computer was reduced in v5 but this seems extreme. Possibly this is again a problem with the computer trying to purchase OB artillery that is not available due to rarity ??

Post #: 44
- 6/6/2001 7:29:00 AM   
Anthony_MatrixForum

A few more details about the strange 'bulls eye' direct targeting bug. It seems as if there are two (related) problems here. They both seem to occur when you _have_ had a visible target, which has become unspotted at the end of turn. 1. A unit may keep a target acquired ( and this shows as the current target in the info display), but the unit is not visible on the screen. It seems, in all cases I have seen, that the "invisible" unit is in fact visible to some unit of your own force, but not the current unit with the target lock. If you select each unit of yours in turn, I have always had one+ 'see' the invisible unit, once selected. 2. Once (1) occurs, (maybe other times?), it is possible to get a target lock on victory hexes or the top left hand corner. This seems to have a distance to target of 999 These are my observations only, other people may have seen other things. Anthony

Post #: 45
- 6/6/2001 9:28:00 PM   
gdpsnake

I've mentioned this in another thread. Too much intel is being gleaned when the screen jumps to the hex where an action is taking place. For example, mines are being cleared but you have no LOS to the hexes. This gives a clue that an opponent can lay artillery in the area because someone is clearing mines. Delete the message that mines are being cleared. If you can see engineers or men in the hex then you can imagine. Same applies to retreats and smoke. If you have LOS to the hex then you could see the smoke or men retreating otherwise you shouldn't. My men seem to NEVER drop smoke and if they do, it's pretty ineffectual compared to the computer that drops smoke at every retreat and lasts forever! So my infantry gets slaughtered while the opponent gets away almost every time. Perhaps the AI could be tweaked in computer assaults. The brainless one just blasts through minefields regardless. I can sit back and detroy a whole force without firing a shot while he chews himself up in minefields. Buying more engineers isn't the answer because the armor just blissfully charges through. Maybe buy more OB artillery that lays smoke screens and "rolls a barrage to spot/destroy mines followed by engineer clearing and lastly hold back the armor assault until some lanes are opened. The same can occur in delay battles. Ammo resupplies by ammo dumps should have a random resuppply. Maybe small arms 100%/ tanks 80%/88's 40%. OR whatever seems fair. Right now I can but Wulframen and put them near a dump and lay waste to an opponent with flame rockets. Can't be that many rockets! Almost as good as a nuke! On weapon breakdowns - can it be coded as an increasing percentage based on use? I have weapons break on the first try! Unlikely as they would have been maintained and prepared. But MG's firing on their 50th shot should break more than a basic percentage (running out of barrels, gunk accumilation, mechanism breakdown) Just a thought.

Post #: 46
- 6/6/2001 10:07:00 PM   
ruxius

quote:

Originally posted by gdpsnake: Ammo resupplies by ammo dumps should have a random resuppply. Maybe small arms 100%/ tanks 80%/88's 40%. OR whatever seems fair. Right now I can but Wulframen and put them near a dump and lay waste to an opponent with flame rockets. Can't be that many rockets!
All good suggestions I think.. About the Ammo dump I like your point very much..we could think to different types of ammo dumps (which cost differently ) based on the type of resupply they furnish to and about their total amount...a total amount of ammo available could be the new feature.. Extract from the Purchase menu : Ammo dump 'Type 1' - Light arms ammo:3000 - Gun ammo: 300 - Special ammo: 80 - Officine YES/NOT (for repairing breakdowns) COST : xxx Each unit's resupplying reduces these ammo for the amount she loaded obviously . This is very realistic and simple! 'Type 2' maybe have more gun ammo ecc.. Good obs mister..though I guess if this is the right topic for them ...if we are canceled remember to open it again in the main page !! Regards ! [ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: ruxius ]

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

Post #: 47
- 6/6/2001 11:10:00 PM   
Rhodan

update on that earlier post, the screeching also occurs in sound effects, as soon as you click a button or something it's gone though.

[img]http://www.geocities.com/katzzuck/VCFIREFLY.txt[/img]

Post #: 48
- 6/7/2001 2:22:00 AM   
Peregrine Falcon

No reports about this... :rolleyes: (5.01 patched 4.5 SPWAW) When playing campaigns or single battles against the AI or human (not confirmed against human opposition, havent tried yet),sometimes all units have REALLY low maximum fire ranges set (around 1/4 or 1/6 from default max ranges) For Example: Sniper - Set range = 1 Infantry Squad - Set range = 1 AT-guns - Set range = 10 HMG's - Set range = 5 etc. etc. :confused: :confused: :confused: Even happened once with Wild Bill's Soviet campaign...

--Peregrine Falcon--

Post #: 49
- 6/7/2001 5:56:00 AM   
panda124c

In the upgrade screen for the Germans there is a Coastal Gun avaiable for upgrade. I'd love to upgrade my sniper but the Coastal Gun doesn't move to well.

Post #: 50
- 6/7/2001 8:25:00 AM   
Alby

In fact, there are coastal guns and shore batteries available in meeting engagements after 45 thought this was kinda strange.

Post #: 51
- 6/7/2001 6:59:00 PM   
IKerensky

HEre is my own lot of bugs: In campaign: - with Us I cnofront French in Oran landing , the french forces was composed of : Free French, Vichy franch and colonial french ( hard to see how they dont shoot each other ) and 3 MAGINOT LINE BUNKER ( please show me the boat that transport those to North Africa ). - Maginot line is nt a standard french name for HUGe bunker, they only refer to the Maginot line ouvrages, and shouldn't be avaliable after 09/40. - A lot of strange thing in the Target , next button happen sjuch as targettting the target unit of the previous firer, cycling next go to the farthest target in sight before going to the closest. - A Dshk killed a Tiger with bottom hull hit. Perhaps it isn't really a bug, but it look REALLY REALLY hard to believe anyway. - Finnish troups have a REAL STRONG figthing willingness and stop running as soons as you fire at them. Fight like Japanese to my point of view. - Japanese WWII campagne should start before 39 versus China. - AI is really innept in fighting mines ( hardly saw what can be done to help there ). Also I find that the SPWW2 AI is far better ( use other tactics than giant human wave in attack ), can you manage to at last reunited those 2 great sequels of SP ? after all with your damage models and their maps and AI it will be the ultimte games.

Post #: 52
- 6/8/2001 3:34:00 AM   
Rover

Was playing a WWII generated campaign as Germany (V5.01). Scenario was a river crossing defend against Soviets with Germany holding all victory hexes at the start and noticed two items. 1) Enemy infantry advanced and armor did not even though thirteen turns passed before I was declared winner. 2) Checked armor and their orders were advance to square 0,0. I also checked infantry and their orders were advance to 0,0 as well. I'm thinking the target hexes should have been something more relevant to the victory hexes. 3) No smoke used by artillery and available artillery barrage was not as "exhaustive" as I would have expected given how much enemy had. Thanks, R

Post #: 53
- 6/8/2001 9:57:00 PM   
BA Evans

Yes I noticed this as well. I think that I might upgrade a truck to this costal gun just for fun. Do you know which skill is the most important for this costal gun. Does it use the same skill all costal guns use? Thanks, BA Evans
quote:

Originally posted by pbear: In the upgrade screen for the Germans there is a Coastal Gun avaiable for upgrade. I'd love to upgrade my sniper but the Coastal Gun doesn't move to well.

Post #: 54
- 6/9/2001 8:01:00 AM   
Alby

Cocerning soviet OOB In the buy list,it has "soviet ski infx1" under platoon and CO of ski troops. Then their Icon shows no number of men, on battle and deploy maps. also shows some snipers in the the "ski Co" formatio

Post #: 55
- 6/9/2001 12:33:00 PM   
steel

When tank gun destroyed (no ability shoot single smoke ammou).It is not a bug, but when tank destroyed with no gun, crew pop out and there is no posibility throw a smoke,but if tank has gun left before it destroyed then it is posible to crew throw a smoke ammou ? I think that is a bug,crew has always could use smoke ammou, if it has any or no smoke ammou to crew members at all ! Steel :eek:

Post #: 56
- 6/9/2001 12:39:00 PM   
Stuart Millis

quote:

Originally posted by heintz28: Stacking limits on bridges dont seem to be enforced. I had 5 PzIVe's on one wooden bridge hex. Manual says there should be a limit.
Only if the bridge is over water or deep water; not shallow water.

Post #: 57
- 6/9/2001 12:46:00 PM   
Stuart Millis

quote:

Originally posted by ruxius: I can confirm this on my copy of SPWAW 5.1 and also there is not any ammo carrier unit except if you buy an entire "Arm'd Rec Bn" (20 armored tanks , and only one ammo carrier) Also pack mules were mainly used by italians to carry ammo (i.e for 47mmAT-guns..)rather than transporting units.. [ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: ruxius ]
Look for "Ordnance Section" in the Misc Menu There you will find a good variety of ammo carriers, including the mules

Post #: 58
- 6/9/2001 12:52:00 PM   
Stuart Millis

quote:

Originally posted by sg: Playing the Normandy Gold campaign, in the second or third battle an offboard naval artillery battery was useless as it was armed with 4 machine guns. Don't know if this is a problem with the British oob or just a glitch in the setup of the campaign battle...just thought I'd report it. Steve
Agreed. Normandy Gold needs a complete overhaul as it is affected adversely by the ver5.01 OOB edits. Stuart

Post #: 59
- 6/9/2001 2:52:00 PM   
Igor

I've noticed problems with all the opponents in the early war in the German long war campaign. The Poles had masses of infantry guns, ATGs, and a few 75s all within 5 hexes of their board edge. The French put a couple of companies of infantry there. The British, although there were no lines of troops in the rear, would buy no OB artillery in either an advance or an assault. The screen would bounce around to the hexes the Brits would have been bombarding, but of course nothing happens because they have no guns (unless this represents 2 inch mortars, which somehow have no visual or combat effect of any kind, firing).

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI