Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

'Lack of Administrator Privledges?'

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Civil War II >> Tech Support >> 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 1/31/2018 9:12:46 PM   
xj900uk

Since I brought a new PC last year with Windows 10 Operating System, I now consistently have this problem whenever I try to play Civil War II and it is driving me nuts!

"Critical Error: Profiler.DLog: Error Accessing file. Sorry, the application will quit. Most probably this error occurred because your user account has no write access to the program directory. Please run the game with administrator rights."

Check permissions. I have write access. No matter. Rrestart game as administrator. Still get this error every 2-3 turns.

BTW I only have this problem with Civil War II (touch wood!) none of the other AGEOD games seem to be so affected.
I run this game on Steam, don't know if that makes a difference.

< Message edited by xj900uk -- 1/31/2018 9:13:34 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 2/1/2018 4:23:33 AM   
zakblood

installing as admin sets the correct file permissions, and also run as admin on the shortcut, then you can't forget to do it, then it works fine

(in reply to xj900uk)
Post #: 2
RE: 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 2/3/2018 8:20:59 AM   
xj900uk

I did all this, I am the Admininstrator and the only user of my PC, and it still kicks me out!
This is the only AGEOD and steam game that this happens, btw! And it also only happens on my Windows 10 PC, too
BTW this seems to be a common problem amongst Windows 10 players on Steam...

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 2/3/2018 8:33:10 AM   
zakblood

i run with windows 10, have no issues

i have a admin account on windows 10
installed as admin, on default location, and also tried none default location d:\games etc
and run as admin

and games works perfectly

if you have a none admin account, game won't work and will error out, same as 50 to 90% of any windows 10 games

installing normally will or can give errors, as it doesn't setup the correct file permissions, same as running as standard and not as run as admin.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/always-run-a-program-in-administrator-mode-in-windows-10/

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-run-programs-as-administrator-in-windows-10-3632744/

and how to check and reasons why it's needed,

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-check-if-your-windows-10-account-is-administrator/

(in reply to xj900uk)
Post #: 4
RE: 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 2/3/2018 8:34:59 AM   
zakblood

this part is the part that makes it so simple to understand, most on steam can't read or understand tbh, so won't waste me breath there,

quote:

Windows 10 has two types of user accounts: Standard and Administrator. Standard users can perform all common daily tasks, such as run programs, surf the Web, check email, stream movies and so on. However, if you want to perform tasks that make major changes to the system, such as installing software; add, remove or change user accounts; or run elevated commands you'll need an Administrator account.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 2/3/2018 8:44:31 AM   
zakblood

so, in back and white,

such as installing software

has to be done from a admin account, if it's a clean install of windows 10 and not a upgraded from a previous version, it's simple, if it's a upgraded from another older version or windows 7 or 8, it's makes it more complicated as it also depends on the file structure of the older versions as well, as file permission can be altered in the upgrade from an older version which will and can cause permissions errors later on when installing, common one is not having access to the desktop to unpack and install from for updates etc, as it says you don't have the correct permission or any other error saying you need admin permission to run from there etc etc.

as this has nothing to do with a given game, or how it's made, but windows and how the user has installed and setup windows, versions used and also a clean install or not, upgraded etc etc, the amount of user errors and different one's can be larger than some would like, but tbh, that's life and again user error and down to lack of knowledge and understand on how windows 10 runs and works, while most here understand and in time get it and like it, some steam users would be better of on a Xbox, eg a closed version of windows 10, where the installing and setup is taken out of there hands so again they don't have to deal with it, a pure gaming system.

most errors on tech support is none admin account ones, eg work pc's or a none admin account user who wishes to have admin rights without running a admin account, like buying a car, but not wanted to put fuel in, it doesn't work and never will and no matter who says what, most still seem to think, it's a program error, and not a user one,...

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 6
RE: 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 2/3/2018 8:51:08 AM   
zakblood

how to get around it, install to a none standard location for some helps,

uninstalling and re installing for others using the correct setup for there version

eg

install as admin on a full administrator account, and run as admin, either in a standard or none standard location.

use a built in AV and firewall, which works with 99% of games and not poor versions of none game friendly software like Avast or other poor ones, which tbh are too many to mention.

don't use VPN's or hardware firewalls without the knowledge to add the game to it, same goes for any AV / firewall / software installed on the pc which effect or locks a given set of permissions, and add's another hoop which you or the game has to try and jump through.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 7
RE: 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 2/3/2018 8:54:55 AM   
zakblood

now regarding steam, normally 99% of the time, steam sets up the correct permissions for a given game to run, if it doesn't, then manually you can force it to run as admin quite easily by going to into the steam game folder and altering the game exe as shown,

now each and every time that steam loads the game, it will also automatically run it as admin for you, works for every game in steam

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 2/3/2018 8:56:01 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 8
RE: 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 2/3/2018 8:57:38 AM   
zakblood

now to alter thew whole of steam to do this, eg run everything as admin with full admin rights,

Navigate to your Steam folder and right-click Steam.exe, click Properties

Select the Compatibility tab

Under Privilege Level, check Run this program as an administrator

Click Apply/OK.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 9
RE: 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 2/3/2018 2:52:58 PM   
xj900uk

Mine is a brand new PC, came with Windows 10. I have tried running the game in 'Combatability Mode' but it just seemed to screw up other games. :-(

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 10
RE: 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 2/3/2018 4:34:17 PM   
zakblood

ah then that maybe another issue then,

Attachment (1)

(in reply to xj900uk)
Post #: 11
RE: 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 2/3/2018 4:35:32 PM   
zakblood

as windows 10 doesn't by default have all the files that are required in some games so while there in there, there not enabled, so once you enable them, more games become backwards compatible

while windows 10 comes with DXr 12, to get a DXr 9.0c version games running, you also need to install the pre requisites for it, same as MVC & also netframework etc, just to name a few

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 2/3/2018 4:37:28 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 12
RE: 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 2/3/2018 4:38:08 PM   
zakblood

some games need media player to be the default while others work fine without it enabled

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 13
RE: 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 2/3/2018 4:38:52 PM   
zakblood

anything can be added to windows 10 if needed by a given game

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 2/3/2018 4:39:23 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 14
RE: 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 2/3/2018 4:40:02 PM   
zakblood

also some games don't work or support some more modern features so need disabling

while others work fine with it,...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 15
RE: 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 2/3/2018 4:42:10 PM   
zakblood

steam for one on older games, may or may not work or support the steam overlay ingame, so while some user it fine, others say it flatly refuses to load and work with it enabled, there's no rule of thumb on this one either, it's try if it works, leave it enabled, if not disable it etc, as for most it's not needed...

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 16
RE: 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 2/3/2018 5:02:17 PM   
xj900uk

thanks, trying those changes and amendments now. 'Direct Play' seems to be the sticker

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 17
RE: 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 2/3/2018 6:15:25 PM   
zakblood

hope your sorted, if not can try some more tweaks and settings to help windows 10 stays and keep being the best gaming platform yet released

(in reply to xj900uk)
Post #: 18
RE: 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' - 2/3/2018 8:29:43 PM   
xj900uk

Well I played it OK this evening for at least 10-12 turns with no freezes or telling me I needed to be an Adminstrator, so hopefully that has got it sorted out. Touch wood and fingers crossed.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Civil War II >> Tech Support >> 'Lack of Administrator Privledges?' Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI