Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Editor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> Editor Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Editor - 2/1/2018 2:54:06 PM   
jamespcrowley

First off - just wondering if there is any news on this?

I was under the impression that it was in Beta and being polished - perhaps that is not the case?

How user friendly is the editor? Does it require knowledge of scripting to set-up the AI in order to build a scenario?

Without knowing the answer to that, is there any possibility of a random battle generator?

Cheers

Jim
Post #: 1
RE: Editor - 2/2/2018 11:03:32 AM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamespcrowley

First off - just wondering if there is any news on this?

I was under the impression that it was in Beta and being polished - perhaps that is not the case?

How user friendly is the editor? Does it require knowledge of scripting to set-up the AI in order to build a scenario?

Without knowing the answer to that, is there any possibility of a random battle generator?

Hi yes, just being fixing the last few issues (fingers crossed!).

Well, I'm not the one to answer whether it's user friendly , but the map making is just left click to move map, right click to add terrain. For terrain images, there's default terrain hex "tiles", or you can import your own image to use as a map (you can play the game on a pic of the mona Lisa if you want ), or you can "chop" a sub-section of the main map (which stretches from El Agheila to Alexandria -- 3 main North African maps are included in the game, one each for 1940, 41, 42).
Otherwise, there's rather a lot of possible setting (e.g. you can change the hex stacking limits, and the unit stacking size) so there's a lot of options.

As for the AI, the scripting is Desert War specific, so you'd need to know how that works, but that is explained in the manual.

No random battle generator. I think creating varied but realistic battles would be quite difficult...

Thanks,
Brian

(in reply to jamespcrowley)
Post #: 2
RE: Editor - 2/2/2018 1:36:23 PM   
jamespcrowley

Thanks Brian

Good to know that it is getting close.

Cheers

Jim

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 3
RE: Editor - 2/23/2018 2:27:09 AM   
FredSanford3

Is there a mechanism to simulate airborne landings, e.g. if we wanted to do a Crete or hypothetical Malta battle? How about seaborne?

Post #: 4
RE: Editor - 2/23/2018 9:19:16 AM   
Saint Ruth

No, sorry, not at the moment. The game is really the North African front, and there were no major airdrops there so I left it out. I'd like to do an Arnhem game so hopefully in the future...

(in reply to FredSanford3)
Post #: 5
RE: Editor - 2/25/2018 6:01:54 AM   
HaHaeTs

Are there different terrain types in the game? I mean it's all desert war, is there something like forest and stuff?

I just want to try it's editor in the future in order to create some mods, but they will be about eastern siberia, so a desert is not something I need

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 6
RE: Editor - 2/25/2018 1:05:20 PM   
Saint Ruth

Hi, Yep, there's Desert terrain like: well, er, Desert , Desert Depressions, Dunes, Qattara Depression and there's also March, Woods, Groves, Mountain, Mountain Peaks (inaccessible except for road), Rough, and Stoney.
Those terrains can contain Towns, Forts, Entrenchments, and/or Woods.
And for hexsides there's Rivers, Gullies, Mines, Wire, Escarpments, and Ridges.

So Desert is really just "Clear terrain", so you could mod to Siberia but the clear terrain will be called Desert. You can also change the images to make it look like snow of course.

Hope this helps!
/Brian

(in reply to HaHaeTs)
Post #: 7
RE: Editor - 3/22/2018 4:18:51 PM   
rtamesis

It sounds like you have a great game editor that can be the basis to create virtually any hex-based wargame set in WWII to modern times. Any plans of releasing it as a separate product? I'd love to be able to use such a system to recreate, for example, the old SPI and Avalon Hill style games.

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 8
RE: Editor - 3/22/2018 4:31:30 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ve a great game editor that can be the basis to create virtually any hex-based wargame set in WWII to modern times. Any plans of releasing it as a separate product? I'd love to be able to use such a system to recreate, for example, the old SPI and Avalon Hil

Well, you get the full Editor with the game, so you can play around with that.
Not sure an editor without an ability to play the created scenarios would be much use.
Cheers,
Brian

(in reply to rtamesis)
Post #: 9
RE: Editor - 3/22/2018 4:32:02 PM   
zakblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

No, sorry, not at the moment. The game is really the North African front, and there were no major airdrops there so I left it out. I'd like to do an Arnhem game so hopefully in the future...

if you do Arnhem, i will get my GF lad to name his first born after you, as it's my favorite battle of all time and not bragging as i have or own most of the games ever released and on any format of the battle, im that sad

so BBC / Spectrum / Amstrad etc etc,.

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 10
RE: Editor - 3/22/2018 4:40:53 PM   
Saint Ruth

I know, I have the old Spectrum game, read the Cornelius Ryan's book, and of course the film. Great film. You can't beat Sean Connery! I think the game engine would suit the battle, with the fog of war, and planning ones moves without knowing where the enemy is etc.
Still, no plans yet. One game at a time.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 11
RE: Editor - 3/22/2018 4:47:34 PM   
zakblood

im still doing testing for R.T.Smith so yes really enjoy the battle and loved his version as much as any ones to date or age.

so fingers crossed this one sells well and pays for another one later on, would love to see it done tbh

< Message edited by zakblood -- 3/22/2018 4:50:28 PM >

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 12
RE: Editor - 3/22/2018 5:26:54 PM   
surfcandy

Does the Editor contain every type of unit involved in the Desert War from 1940-1942?

Post #: 13
RE: Editor - 3/22/2018 6:25:20 PM   
rtamesis

quote:

Well, you get the full Editor with the game, so you can play around with that.
Not sure an editor without an ability to play the created scenarios would be much use.
Cheers,
Brian

Well, if you can include that ability to play those created scenarios plus amphibious and airborne capabilities as well as chemical and tactical nuclear warfare options, then the system may even be able to do an SPI style NATO vs Warsaw Pact game, Arab-Israeli or Korean War scenarios. The possibilities are endless!

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 14
RE: Editor - 3/22/2018 6:44:31 PM   
surfcandy

Since from what i noticed units are Company/Battalion size. With the editor is it possible to create platoon size battles with a major or Captain in command?

Post #: 15
RE: Editor - 3/23/2018 3:42:06 AM   
surfcandy

So far from what I've read the Editor for WW2 War in Africa is only limited by the creator of the scenario. The ability to create even platoon size units with a different hex size exists in the editor. it seems that any battle in North Africa during WW2 is able to be created with this Editor. Dust off those old board game scenario packs. Simply fantastic!

(in reply to surfcandy)
Post #: 16
RE: Editor - 3/23/2018 4:16:11 AM   
giffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: surfcandy

So far from what I've read the Editor for WW2 War in Africa is only limited by the creator of the scenario. The ability to create even platoon size units with a different hex size exists in the editor. it seems that any battle in North Africa during WW2 is able to be created with this Editor. Dust off those old board game scenario packs. Simply fantastic!

Just bought the game and tried to play without reading to many of the rules and got my but kicked. I am excited to sit down and read the rules and do the tutorial a few times. I really only play smaller sized battles as my time is limited so I will bet this Editor will be used by many here to come up with some fun smaller sized scenarios!

(in reply to surfcandy)
Post #: 17
RE: Editor - 3/23/2018 11:26:11 AM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

Does the Editor contain every type of unit involved in the Desert War from 1940-1942?

Hi, yes it does. The scenarios in the game were created using the Editor that's released.

(in reply to surfcandy)
Post #: 18
RE: Editor - 3/23/2018 11:27:23 AM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtamesis
Well, if you can include that ability to play those created scenarios plus amphibious and airborne capabilities as well as chemical and tactical nuclear warfare options, then the system may even be able to do an SPI style NATO vs Warsaw Pact game, Arab-Israeli or Korean War scenarios. The possibilities are endless!

That's the dream! If everything works out, maybe in a few years!

(in reply to rtamesis)
Post #: 19
RE: Editor - 3/23/2018 11:31:26 AM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

Yes, you can do everything from Platoons to Armies.
In the Editor there's also base Editor maps (in directory EditorMaps) that cover the north african coast from Libya to Egypt and you can "cut" out any section (of any size) of that base map. So if you want to create your own scenario, you won't have to do the map...

(in reply to surfcandy)
Post #: 20
RE: Editor - 3/23/2018 11:35:05 AM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: giffin
Just bought the game and tried to play without reading to many of the rules and got my but kicked. I am excited to sit down and read the rules and do the tutorial a few times. I really only play smaller sized battles as my time is limited so I will bet this Editor will be used by many here to come up with some fun smaller sized scenarios!

I hope so.
Note in the Editor you can also "export" the unit OOB from one scenario (as a CSV file) and "import" it into another (and then of course delete / add units) so with the ability to "cut" a section from the main map and use parts of an OOB from another scenario, it should be quite easy to create a new scenario.

(in reply to giffin)
Post #: 21
RE: Editor - 3/23/2018 11:24:14 PM   
rhinobones

Brian

Does the editor include editorial “events” like we see in TOAW? As an example, can I make units appear in hex X,Y on a certain turn or by a unit crossing a condition threshold?
Also, good work. Excited to see that your (and team) efforts have brought this game to the light of day. Congratulations.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 22
RE: Editor - 3/24/2018 12:44:41 AM   
FredSanford3

quote:

Note in the Editor you can also "export" the unit OOB from one scenario (as a CSV file) and "import" it into another (and then of course delete / add units) so with the ability to "cut" a section from the main map and use parts of an OOB from another scenario, it should be quite easy to create a new scenario.

It sounds like if that could be done at the end of a game, so losses were included, the basis for a linked campaign would be there.

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 23
RE: Editor - 3/24/2018 8:49:11 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

Brian

Does the editor include editorial “events” like we see in TOAW? As an example, can I make units appear in hex X,Y on a certain turn or by a unit crossing a condition threshold?
Also, good work. Excited to see that your (and team) efforts have brought this game to the light of day. Congratulations.

Regards, RhinoBones

Well, units (reinforcements) can appear on certain turns, but not in reaction to something that happened in the game (e.g. when Allies capture hex A,B or whatever).
I like the idea of events. Something to put on the ToDo list all right.
Thanks,
Brian

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> Editor Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI