Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, U2 are welcome

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, U2 are welcome Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/11/2018 6:50:24 PM   
Dinglir

Turn thirtythree.

Attachment (1)

To be is to do -- Socrates
To do is to be -- Jean-Paul Sartre
Do be do be do -- Frank Sinatra

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 301
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/11/2018 7:20:17 PM   
Nix77

What's the OOB on turn 33?

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 302
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/12/2018 2:13:46 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nix77

What's the OOB on turn 33?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 303
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/12/2018 2:24:17 PM   
Nix77

The German manpower seems to be in good condition, but the Red Army seems to be alive and well too!

70000 guns sounds like a lot. I'm down to 45k in my Soviet game turn 25, but I really haven't been that careful with my guns and units :D I think the 41c Rifle Div ToE will pump the number up eventually with a big bunch of 82mm mortars being ordered (300 active divisions, 54 new mortars each, phew!).

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 304
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/12/2018 2:38:44 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

@Nix77:

quote:

I guess this comes from HQ distance & unit distance combined? HQ gets maximum supply when it's 10MP from railhead (20MP the MP supply multiplier is still 100%, but within 10MP of the railhead it can get extra supplies), and the unit needs to be 20MP from the HQ.

There are multiple phases for units to draw supplies:
Unit within range of its first level HQ:
1. Draw from HQ stocks, no restriction except the stocks in the HQ exists AFAIK.
2. Draw unfulfilled need over the HQ from the railhead, using the position of the HQ for all range multiplier calculations, the distance HQ-unit does not matter here (it has to be within 5 hexagons/20MPs to the HQ to be in range of it though)
3. The HQ now counts how much need wasn't fulfilled in phase 2, and stockpiles this unfulfilled requests for the next turns phase 1 (this is also subject to reduction due to range multipliers)

Units out of range of their HQ:
1. Draw directly from the railhead, using their own position for the calculations, and requesting only 1/2 of what they would like to!
quote:

If there's shortage of vehicles in the motor pool, you'll get (5*(10MP-distance to supply source)% less penalty from vehicle shortages, that's really a big factor if you're in bad motor pool situation. For example, if you have 100k/200k vehicles available, you'd get 50% supply reduction. Being in the same hex (0MP) with the HQ would however completely mitigate this effect. Anything over 9MP and you'd get the full 50% penalty.

Not sure about the motor pool modifier, AFAIK it is simply Trucks availaible/trucks requested, but I am not sure here.

quote:

Unit's that have moved will also get a penalty to their received supplies maximum amount, and that's dependant on the distance to the supply source (HQ or railhead). Exact formula is (95-distance to supply source). So the closer they are to HQ, the more supplies they can get.

According to a quick test I did this supply reduction from movement is in fact a mistake in the manual ( I believe it was also confirmed by morvael but I don't want to quote him with something he might not have said)

quote:

It's not all that simple :D

@Dinglir: The attempt to calculate the MP of motorized unit is a very difficult/impossible task because you never know how much supplies are in the HQ. But as a rule of thumb, all within 13-15 hexagons/30-40MPs of the railhead will give full supplies, assuming HLYA is doing it right
(and given that he played the Axis side a lot I would bet my best panzer division he does).

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 1/12/2018 2:45:03 PM >

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 305
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/12/2018 4:26:17 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

@Dinglir: The attempt to calculate the MP of motorized unit is a very difficult/impossible task because you never know how much supplies are in the HQ. But as a rule of thumb, all within 13-15 hexagons/30-40MPs of the railhead will give full supplies, assuming HLYA is doing it right
(and given that he played the Axis side a lot I would bet my best panzer division he does).

For the most part my tank brigades were roughtly having 25-28 mps every turn. The lead tank brigades around Kharkov were a little bit lower but for the most part they were in decent supply.

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 306
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/12/2018 4:32:47 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

70000 guns sounds like a lot.

That OOB was from from turn 33. Here are the guns OOB for turn 38

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 307
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/12/2018 4:35:19 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

I think the 41c Rifle Div ToE will pump the number up eventually with a big bunch of 82mm mortars being ordered (300 active divisions, 54 new mortars each, phew!).

Here is a 42a upgrade to one of my Guard units this turn that was at full TOE strength the previous turn. Now I have to refit the unit the 15% TOE :(

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 1/12/2018 4:37:21 PM >

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 308
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/20/2018 9:12:20 AM   
Dinglir

Turn thirtyfour.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 309
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/20/2018 2:38:54 PM   
Telemecus

Curious why you would put the Rumanian bombers in to a Rumanian army commanded base? In effect it means they will have no air or other ratings checks at all? Their performance will suffer as a result?

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 310
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/20/2018 4:10:42 PM   
Dinglir

I wanted to check if they were more likely to be committed as ground support to any battles fought by the Rumanian units in tha army.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 311
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/20/2018 4:14:07 PM   
Telemecus

Be interesting to test. At least in my experience and according to the manual it should make no difference on the Axis side. I have had air groups in different army groups even committing to ground support to the other. The only ground support restriction is you have to have troops in the battle of the same nationality. I would be interested if you find any different - I fear it would make it less likely though.

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 312
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/21/2018 9:08:30 AM   
STEF78

This AAR is a hidden gem. Don't hesitate to open the files!

Did you find a way to download the datas or are you completing your files by writing every data?

Even if I write some AARs, I cannot figure the amount of work to realize this one!

You will have to hit hard during spring and early summer summer. HLYA is a very strong opponent. Good luck!

I always attach supports to Pzd Mot units, never to inf divs. Why did you do this?

< Message edited by STEF78 -- 1/21/2018 9:10:40 AM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 313
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/21/2018 1:17:44 PM   
Dinglir

quote:

ORIGINAL: STEF78
This AAR is a hidden gem. Don't hesitate to open the files!

Thanks. I am actually pretty much in awe of your AAR's. I really like that combo of battle reports and map windows.

quote:

Did you find a way to download the datas or are you completing your files by writing every data?

I don't really understand your question. I write a word document and use Paint to put together the images. Once I am done I then save a pdf file. This pdf is then sipped along with an excel spreadsheet and uploaded for every round of the AAR. The excel numbers are written down once every turn. This is a little difficult for the Soviet aircraft losses section, as I have to recompute my formula if the Soviets evacuate a factory.

quote:

Even if I write some AARs, I cannot figure the amount of work to realize this one!

It is not as much as you would think. Every time I get a turn I first spend a lot of time assessing the situation. The only thing I do actively here is running some recon missions. After this is done I have a prioritized idea of what I need to achieve during my own turn. I then set about to plan my moves, and only after this is done do I actively begin moving stuff around. This goes very well in hand with the way I am writing the AAR. I spend a lot of time one very turn, but most of it is done assessing the situation, planning my moves and executing them. Writing is not really taking up much time. As a side effect it teaches me a lot to read what I thought five turns back every time I post an AAR, so I learn a lot from reading my own AAR's.

quote:

You will have to hit hard during spring and early summer summer. HLYA is a very strong opponent.

I know. But who would want to spend hours without end on a game, if it was not a challenge?

quote:

Good luck!

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

quote:

I always attach supports to Pzd Mot units, never to inf divs. Why did you do this?

It is a good way of getting some punch into the infantry divisions. You can move some CV around the map rather quickly this way. I generally try to pt motorized Support units on Motorized units and non-motorized on infantry units in order to save some vehicles.

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 314
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/21/2018 6:31:24 PM   
STEF78

Thanks for the answers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dinglir
.../....
quote:

I don't really understand your question. .... The excel numbers are written down once every turn...

I was refering to the Excel spreadsheet

If needed, I can explain how to merge pictures to create combos

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 315
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/21/2018 6:40:41 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

@Dinglir: Are typing everything manually into your excel sheets?
By using the .txt doc you get from the CR export function you can do this quicker, even with my not so advanced excel skills.
(can provide my spreadsheet and a short summary how to do this with few clicks)

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 316
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/23/2018 12:10:51 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain
3. save as many trucks as possible to support a huge airforce (check)

define huge

Giving out free Intel

I'm still at 200k trucks near end of March 42. (200/114 are the numbers). So still working on the airforce size even with about 100 armor brigades(almost all 90%+ TOE) in the field at the moment along with a potential 7.75 man army fully decked out. I have yet to deploy the IL2's since my catalyst for their deployment has yet to happen, not to mention the factories re-building :( Currently set to have about 80-100 squadrons of Il2's in 42. (lots of future IL2 squadrons are training in obsolete model aircraft in reserve)

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 1/23/2018 12:11:58 AM >

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 317
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/23/2018 3:05:52 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

(lots of future IL2 squadrons are training in obsolete model aircraft in reserve)

Better that the raw recruits do their training crashes in them than the brand new Il-2s they will get.

Post #: 318
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/23/2018 6:57:46 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

quote:

(lots of future IL2 squadrons are training in obsolete model aircraft in reserve)

Better that the raw recruits do their training crashes in them than the brand new Il-2s they will get.

Yup yup. I'm running a full complement of "level bombers" at the moment. I will continue to run all of my level bombers when I deploy the IL2's too.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 319
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/24/2018 6:27:27 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

I know a great many people don't consider it a big deal but I do. Another Milestone in March with this addition;

Attachment (1)

Post #: 320
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/27/2018 6:18:12 PM   
Dinglir

Turn thirtyfive.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 321
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/28/2018 10:19:05 AM   
Dinglir

quote:

Currently set to have about 80-100 squadrons of Il2's in 42. (lots of future IL2 squadrons are training in obsolete model aircraft in reserve)

I am being a little curious to find out, if my aircraft calculations are correct. Of course, you do not have to answer, but I would like to know, if the following numbers are correct(ish):

I-153BS: 106
Su-2: 57
IL-2: 409
U-2VS: 510

I also put you at about 3600 level bombers and 5900 non I-Type fighters...

Post #: 322
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/28/2018 10:29:06 AM   
SparkleyTits

5900 non I types ouch....

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 323
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/29/2018 4:20:08 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

Currently set to have about 80-100 squadrons of Il2's in 42. (lots of future IL2 squadrons are training in obsolete model aircraft in reserve)

I am being a little curious to find out, if my aircraft calculations are correct. Of course, you do not have to answer, but I would like to know, if the following numbers are correct(ish):

I-153BS: 106
Su-2: 57
IL-2: 409
U-2VS: 510

I also put you at about 3600 level bombers and 5900 non I-Type fighters...

I-153BS = 106
Su-2 = 60 (I'm producing them again ;-)
Il-2 I won't give out but I will tell you that the number is not correct and not close either
U-2VS = 439 (lots of accidents in training. Russian have a knack of hitting the "BROAD" side of the barn with aircraft in training for some strange reason.

Your bombers are off by over 1,000 & non I-Type fighters are off by 1,000 too.

Hope this helps

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 324
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 2/1/2018 5:20:01 AM   
Dinglir

quote:

U-2VS = 439 (lots of accidents in training. Russian have a knack of hitting the "BROAD" side of the barn with aircraft in training for some strange reason.

Very interesting.

I have gone over my formula again for U-2VS and corected it slightly. On turn one the soviets have 535 U-2VS, on turn two they produce 19, and on turn three 23. On turn three you relocated the factory as a present to the Axis. That is a total of 577 U-2VS produced. No units arrive with the aircraft and no upgrade path leads to it, so the total number of U-2VS for the entire game is 577 by my math.

My loss screen tells me that you have lost a total of 82 U-2VS, which should leave you with 495 aircraft of the type. Yet, you have only 439!

The only conclusion I can come by, is that the losses screen does not count all enemy aircraft lost. It probably makes sense that the Germans do not hear of U-2VS crashing in the Urals, but it does make my calculations of aircraft totals more or less pointless.

Post #: 325
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 2/1/2018 2:02:16 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

The only conclusion I can come by, is that the losses screen does not count all enemy aircraft lost. It probably makes sense that the Germans do not hear of U-2VS crashing in the Urals, but it does make my calculations of aircraft totals more or less pointless.

At least with my tracker I was after a game able to get access to the Soviet totals and find they were absolutely spot on. So I am pretty sure there are no unknown losses (Except for only one SB-2 that disappears on turn 2 that I understand is a game bug).

The only difficulty for the German side is making sure they have the right scenario data for arrivals, and that factory damage means you can sometimes only calculate an expected production.

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 326
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 2/1/2018 5:35:28 PM   
Dinglir

quote:

At least with my tracker I was after a game able to get access to the Soviet totals and find they were absolutely spot on. So I am pretty sure there are no unknown losses (Except for only one SB-2 that disappears on turn 2 that I understand is a game bug).

The only difficulty for the German side is making sure they have the right scenario data for arrivals, and that factory damage means you can sometimes only calculate an expected production.

the thing is that Soviet production of U-2VS in this game has been rather straightforward, as HardLuck gifted the production facilities to the Germans on turn three.

So I must be missing something, and I wonder what it is.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 327
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 2/1/2018 5:39:50 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

quote:

the thing is that Soviet production of U-2VS in this game has been rather straightforward, as HardLuck gifted the production facilities to the Germans on turn three.

So I must be missing something, and I wonder what it is.

I'd be happy to PM you my tracker - you can use just the lines for U2VS. You might see something there you forgot to add in? If it still works in the wrong way I would want to work out what was missing too?

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 2/1/2018 5:56:55 PM >

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 328
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 2/1/2018 7:19:15 PM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

quote:

Very interesting.

I have gone over my formula again for U-2VS and corected it slightly. On turn one the soviets have 535 U-2VS, on turn two they produce 19, and on turn three 23. On turn three you relocated the factory as a present to the Axis. That is a total of 577 U-2VS produced. No units arrive with the aircraft and no upgrade path leads to it, so the total number of U-2VS for the entire game is 577 by my math.

My loss screen tells me that you have lost a total of 82 U-2VS, which should leave you with 495 aircraft of the type. Yet, you have only 439!

I'm not saying this is the cause, but keep in mind that sometimes aircraft are not produced due to supply shortages.

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 329
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 2/1/2018 8:02:37 PM   
Dinglir

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS
I'm not saying this is the cause, but keep in mind that sometimes aircraft are not produced due to supply shortages.

That could be interesting.

However, I do not think this specific problem lies in the math - after all, U-2VS production for the first three turns is fairly straight forward. I have taken the losses from the loss report in game, so that is fairly certain to. I am just baffled.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, U2 are welcome Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI