Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

game inquiry or idea

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> game inquiry or idea Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
game inquiry or idea - 2/4/2018 1:23:19 AM   
Lav2566

I'm a frequent player of operational art of war. I also enjoy an older game call combat mission. Are there any games that operate much like Rome total war, meaning the ability to be cognizant and control a bigger picture of war, much like operational war of war, but have the capability to go down to the field level and micromanage battles, much like combat mission. Rome total war was an excellent game that permitted different dimensions. I hope I'm making sense. Let me elaborate. If I'm controlling armies, Corps and divisions, it would be excellent to get a field view of what is happening in these battles. Also, the ability to observe and control at company and battalion levels, while having graphic capacity to see and actual tanks and troops engaged. Ideas and comments are appreciated, as I believe this to be a magnificent idea if it is not already anything out there.
Post #: 1
RE: game inquiry or idea - 2/4/2018 2:20:23 AM   
balto

I hear you on Rome Total War, I am actually into Warhammer now. But anyway, none of the complex games turn based games (TOAW, Grigsby, or any of Vics' game (Advanced Tactics, etc.,) can go down to the tactical level. That would be something and I also wished that for decades.

As you know that type of game would never happen because there are only a few of us left that love these complex turn based games, and to merge that with meaningful tactical would be a herculean effort (not sure it is even possible) that would never pay off. But yeah, it would be great.

I think my favorite mix would be Advanced Tactics until you make contact with the enemy, then it goes into Tillers' Squad Battle format. Cool post, thanks.

(in reply to Lav2566)
Post #: 2
RE: game inquiry or idea - 2/4/2018 2:50:55 AM   
rico21

King Arthur The Role-Playing Wargame Collection

(in reply to Lav2566)
Post #: 3
RE: game inquiry or idea - 2/4/2018 6:05:49 AM   
E

The idea has been around a long time. They even tried to add an Operational Layer to your Combat Mission (it was going to be called Combat Mission Campaigns).

None of them were the end-all. None were noteworthy enough to recall off the top of my head. All had varying degrees of successful integration of essentially 2 games.

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by E -- 2/4/2018 7:26:33 AM >

"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 4
RE: game inquiry or idea - 2/4/2018 7:37:14 AM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lav2566

I'm a frequent player of operational art of war. I also enjoy an older game call combat mission. Are there any games that operate much like Rome total war, meaning the ability to be cognizant and control a bigger picture of war, much like operational war of war, but have the capability to go down to the field level and micromanage battles, much like combat mission. Rome total war was an excellent game that permitted different dimensions. I hope I'm making sense. Let me elaborate. If I'm controlling armies, Corps and divisions, it would be excellent to get a field view of what is happening in these battles. Also, the ability to observe and control at company and battalion levels, while having graphic capacity to see and actual tanks and troops engaged. Ideas and comments are appreciated, as I believe this to be a magnificent idea if it is not already anything out there.

There have been others on this forum who have thirsted for game style as you mentioned, including myself. Yes, I am a fan of TW Empire and Napoleon, absolutely love Empire (over 12,000 hours of play time), however do wish that Matrix would do something similar to TW as you mentioned.

(in reply to Lav2566)
Post #: 5
RE: game inquiry or idea - 2/4/2018 8:39:55 AM   
nicwb

quote:

[/There have been others on this forum who have thirsted for game style as you mentioned, including myself. Yes, I am a fan of TW Empire and Napoleon, absolutely love Empire (over 12,000 hours of play time), however do wish that Matrix would do something similar to TW as you mentioned.
quote]

Be careful what you wish for - one game that does fit the description is "The Seven Years War" by Oliver Keppelmueller - it has Total War-like battles but allows you to run the economy. Trouble is the economic management is very difficult and you tend to find yourself looking forward to just running the military side of things.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 6
RE: game inquiry or idea - 2/4/2018 2:45:52 PM   
TheGrayMouser

There are a few games with strategic level and tactical battles, right here at matrix. Crown of glory( and the civil war game by same company), sovereignty (fantasy), not to mention several 4x games. Empire at Arms does not have a tactical resolution perse, but allows you to import battle results if you choose to use some third party means to resolved ( all strat games aloud have this!!)

I think most people want this, it’s just too costly too make these games, as they are two in one , two ai’s Etc.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 7
RE: game inquiry or idea - 2/4/2018 5:32:51 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

Other games in Total War series
The Seven Years War (1756-1763)
Age of Wonders series
Heroes of Might and Magic series

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Lav2566)
Post #: 8
RE: game inquiry or idea - 2/4/2018 5:54:55 PM   
rommel222

Greetings Lav2566,
I would offer up the Napoleonic Imperial Glory which has a strategic/operational level and when armies meet tactical battle. Includes naval actions too.
https://www.gog.com/game/imperial_glory
mode.http://store.steampowered.com/app/277450/Imperial_Glory/

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 9
RE: game inquiry or idea - 2/4/2018 9:43:59 PM   
altipueri

Yes Imperial Glory had a good strategic layer. I think it arrived just about the time of Rome Total War - the RTS battles were fun, but with no morale check you just fought to the end. so in the end, not fun.

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 10
RE: game inquiry or idea - 2/5/2018 12:35:01 AM   
athineos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

quote:

Age of Wonders series

I would also Include WARLORDS III DARKLORDS RISING. An instant Classic (Random Map Generation & Editor)

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 11
RE: game inquiry or idea - 2/5/2018 3:32:44 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: athineos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

quote:

Age of Wonders series

I would also Include WARLORDS III DARKLORDS RISING. An instant Classic (Random Map Generation & Editor)

Couple more:
Knights of Honor
Lords of the Realm series

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to athineos)
Post #: 12
RE: game inquiry or idea - 2/5/2018 4:00:40 PM   
wodin

Not yet but I think the game Chain of Command currently in development sounds as close as you'll get currently.

Oh forgot Graviteam Tactics games. They have an operational and tactical mode. Prob closest you'll get that's out now. Bloody good games as well.

< Message edited by wodin -- 2/5/2018 4:02:07 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 13
RE: game inquiry or idea - 2/5/2018 10:37:55 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

The Close Combat series tried out various different operational map systems. There was MMCC III which only worked with CC III and Cross of Iron. This had the advantage of a very, very large number of maps but was otherwise feature-poor. It was based on squares but diagonal movement was allowed, and because of the way the deployment system worked the enemy could appear behind you and beam itself across major obstacles, like rivers. The other system was better thought out but restricted to 64 maps max.

Others here have already mentioned Graviteam and the stillborn Close Combat Campaigns.

[I'll pause here, because, years later, that project still deserves a minute's silence.]

It didn't need to be so complex. We just need some context for our tactical combat, as well as surprise - not knowing where, when or what enemy forces we will run into.

I heard of a bunch of guys who used TOAW III as the op map and CMX 1 for tactical combat. They reported excellent results but depended on a human umpire. He was that interface between games.

And yes, I agree with you, we shouldn't have to depend on human umpires.

The concept could be applied using TOAW III, TOAW IV, ATG, CM Mapping Mission or XConq as the op game and CMX 1, CMX 2, Graviteam, Steel Panthers and myriad other games for tactical combat. Alternatively, Graviteam could make their op map bigger. Armored Brigade might be about to deliver that.

Somebody above suggested that there might not be a market for this? However, we are looking at a crowded market. Sooner or later somebody is going to break ranks, to put some clear blue water between them and their competition, just to sell games. Why should that not be a grognard-friendly feature? Are grogs that poor?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> game inquiry or idea Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote