Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 2/10/2018 1:40:39 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: lewenhaupt

Hi,

1. I'm playing with regular empire. (Pirates are off)
2. Nope
3. There is a definitive chance to be spying on an elimanated empire. (A lot of empire annihilated)
4. I started a new game, but nothing happened hitting CTLR-P. (neither CTD or Prisoner form)

Thanks!

Hi,

Yeah, it's probably the case where the prisoner's empire has been eliminated and that is causing the null reference exception. I'll put in a check for that and just eliminate any spies whose empire has been eliminated.

The reason you see nothing when starting a new game and pressing ctrl-p is because there are no prisoners. In that case I don't show the form. That's working as intended. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't also crashing.

(in reply to lewenhaupt)
Post #: 511
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 2/11/2018 5:48:05 AM   
Capshades

Would it be possible to modify the variables controlling ship class requirements? i.e. the carrier 50% starfighter component requirement

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 512
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 2/11/2018 8:01:50 AM   
lewenhaupt

Thank you RogerBacon!

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 513
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 2/13/2018 5:30:18 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlindOne

I too can positively confirm that RetreatUE DOES work with baconmod if you properly modify all the files.

I myself am running a modified version of retreatUE with a bunch of other mods slapped together with BaconMod. The only issue I have is whenever a spy is caught or escapes it goes out of index bounds every once in a while but I am 99.9% certain this is a bacon issue and has nothing to do with retreatUE or the other mods that I compiled. I am running windows 7 however

quote:

I'm on a Windows 10 machine so I've no idea what the non-starting issue is being caused by

Non starting can be any file or even a tiny jot or jittle that has been messed up. I've had the entire game not start because the game had problems loading a specific component.png image... All I did was change the image of a component from 120 to number 185...and it COMPLETELY stopped working all together...dead in the water so to speak. Did not start up AT ALL! Like it never loaded...

To know if Bacon is running functionally with your mods all you need to do is install the bacon.exe and main files and load up your original mod (WITHOUT any changes from the baconworld customization folder) to see if it properly loads. If it loads without a hitch then you know it is not bacon that is messing things up. You won't have any added features such as terraforming, the hangar bays or extra mining capacity but it will give you a clue on whether you messed up the files yourself or whether it is a windows issue.

I recommend using notepad++ and the compare plugin to compare the ''original'' DW files to the BaconWorld files to see what has changed and then copying those changes to your own mod files. That's what I did.

quote:

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY: Glorious Bacon

What sort of crashes are you getting? Merging mods is pretty easy. You only need to add the components, facilities, and research projects that I've added which are not in the other mod. Those would be the fighter bayx, the terraforming facility, and the research that enables the fighter bays.

You're forgetting your improved mining capacity changes...you also need to edit the mining rates in the research components to change their capacity. Just a small note

I recommend you add an extra readme that lists all the changes that need to be made if you want to integrate it into another mod. It is easy to forget these things and it is doubly more annoying for a person who is completely unfamiliar with your mod and what changes need to be made to make it function.

Any chance of uploading your mod?

(in reply to BlindOne)
Post #: 514
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 2/13/2018 5:39:45 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

Version 1.66 Released

- Tradable items list is now alphabetized.
- Ctrl-F makes the game re-check what system the selected ship is in. This should fix the issue where exploration ships are not exploring for some people because the game does not "see" them as being in a system.
- Better logic for manual cargo missions resupplying construction ships. So you shouldn't have to worry about a rarely used strategic resource getting overfilled after repeated construction missions.

Since I don't have much free time anymore this will probably be the final version of the mod. It started as a small customization for myself and its grown into something larger than I ever thought. I'm glad I 2was able to bring it to the community for others to enjoy.

Thanks for all you have done to keep DWU alive and kicking Roger!

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 515
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 2/13/2018 7:48:34 PM   
Artophwar

What needs to be done to use this with the AI Improvement Mod?

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 516
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 2/15/2018 3:22:01 PM   
solops

I have been playing along with few problems until late game (700 stars) and suddenly I began getting an error pop-up:

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index

This happens constantly so as to make the game unplayable. Any ideas? Is it mod related or a DW problem?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to Artophwar)
Post #: 517
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 2/15/2018 9:29:36 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: solops

I have been playing along with few problems until late game (700 stars) and suddenly I began getting an error pop-up:

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index

This happens constantly so as to make the game unplayable. Any ideas? Is it mod related or a DW problem?

In code it is standard practice to use try-catch blocks when code might cause a crash. In the catch section you usually put some sort of notification so you know something went wrong (but not terribly). I added those popups to see if anything was going wrong behind the scenes. I never see them in my game but some people are getting them. I'll remove them in the next version this weekend. For you they are not very informative but if they started popping up on my games I would be able to make more use of them.

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 518
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 2/17/2018 2:53:48 PM   
RogerBacon

Version 1,67 released.
Fixed potential error in Prison form where a captured spy's empire has been eliminated (the spy will be eliminated as well).
Removed diagnostic popups that were not useful to anyone.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 519
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 2/20/2018 9:39:51 PM   
elvendeathknight

Thanks for your hard work !

I was wondering : would it be possible, as an option, to make an empire with the ability to raid ?

Thanks again

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 520
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/20/2018 10:52:51 PM   
adecoy95

no idea why but when i copy over the exe the game will not load. any ideas? i have the latest version. maby im just doing something dumb? can the mod run okay in places other than drive c?

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 521
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/21/2018 9:24:39 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: ArchMike

Thanks for your hard work !

I was wondering : would it be possible, as an option, to make an empire with the ability to raid ?

Thanks again

You are welcome. An empire with the ability to raid was something I looked into at one point. It wasn't as straight forward as I'd hoped (there are big differences between a pirate empire and a regular empire). It didn't seem worth the effort and I knew I'd never be able to teach the Ai to do it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: adecoy95

no idea why but when i copy over the exe the game will not load. any ideas? i have the latest version. maby im just doing something dumb? can the mod run okay in places other than drive c?

I run from by D drive. Did the previous version (1.66) work? I left the link up so you can check if that version works. I hope I didn't break anything with the final update.

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 522
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/21/2018 11:32:59 PM   
elvendeathknight

Thanks for the reply !

I wanted to make a custom scenario where I would start with a single ship. I was seeing money generation as my main problem. I thought that raiding would solve that problem. I will probably play as a pirate, then spawn an empire with game editor and switch to be the empire later in the game.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 523
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/23/2018 11:37:35 PM   
adecoy95

unfortunatly it seems to be happening with older versions too.

i noticed a few pages back some other people were having the problem on windows 10, im using 10 as well. dosent look like they were able to fix it?

(in reply to elvendeathknight)
Post #: 524
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/24/2018 1:21:34 AM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: adecoy95

unfortunatly it seems to be happening with older versions too.

i noticed a few pages back some other people were having the problem on windows 10, im using 10 as well. dosent look like they were able to fix it?

Some people have gotten it to work on Windows 10. I use Windows 7 so I'm afraid I can't help much there.

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 525
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/24/2018 10:42:41 AM   
ZG264

So happy to try out the new terraforming abilities.

My install runs fine but i have a quick question re installation. There is no mention in the readme about where to put the 'BaconSettings' and 'Passenger' text files. I assume they go alongside the .exe in the main directory?

Just thought i'd bring that to your attention Roger, and thanks for a great looking mod :)

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 526
RE: Bacon Mod - 2/24/2018 1:02:05 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZG264

So happy to try out the new terraforming abilities.

My install runs fine but i have a quick question re installation. There is no mention in the readme about where to put the 'BaconSettings' and 'Passenger' text files. I assume they go alongside the .exe in the main directory?

Just thought i'd bring that to your attention Roger, and thanks for a great looking mod :)

Yes, they go in the main folder along with the exe. I'm glad you are liking it.

(in reply to ZG264)
Post #: 527
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 2/25/2018 2:22:13 PM   
impi07

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artophwar

What needs to be done to use this with the AI Improvement Mod?

I want to know this too.

edit:
If I don't use the bomber bay, I only have to copy the exe and txt files without the BaconWorld folder.

Very nice mod btw.

< Message edited by impi07 -- 2/25/2018 8:14:37 PM >

(in reply to Artophwar)
Post #: 528
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 3/1/2018 5:06:17 PM   
Ateerix

I think I found a bug or something. When I play the empire and build the freighters, gas, and mining ships they never seem to register on my list of ships. When I get suggested ships to build, it continuously advises me to build more gas and mining ships and only says I have 2. After a while the number starts to increase, but it's never accurate and only accounts for maybe 5% of the total amount of ships I have.

(in reply to impi07)
Post #: 529
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 3/1/2018 10:21:19 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ateerix

I think I found a bug or something. When I play the empire and build the freighters, gas, and mining ships they never seem to register on my list of ships. When I get suggested ships to build, it continuously advises me to build more gas and mining ships and only says I have 2. After a while the number starts to increase, but it's never accurate and only accounts for maybe 5% of the total amount of ships I have.

The number of private sector ships shown does not count state owned versions. To see your state owned versions look on the shiplist page and filter for "State Versions".

(in reply to Ateerix)
Post #: 530
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 3/2/2018 11:41:02 PM   
BlindOne

I really wish we could just build the state versions and make the privates pay for them...I see it as ''sub contracting'' or something... it would also fix them not showing up in the list, which is darn shame...but I suppose the other functionality you have for them wouldn't work anymore? Or am I mistaken?

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 531
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 3/5/2018 9:37:57 PM   
Twigster

Finally downloaded this and have played it a bit- liked it a lot, thanks!

(in reply to BlindOne)
Post #: 532
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 3/8/2018 12:24:11 PM   
Nix77

Hi,

absolutey brilliant work with the mod, Roger!

The gravity well idea seems really good, but the effect seems to be painfully heavy especially for the big constructors and colony ships. I hate to watch them slumber along so slow :) Would it be possible to add a multiplier for the gravity well effect to the settings file?

< Message edited by Nix77 -- 3/8/2018 12:45:09 PM >

(in reply to lewenhaupt)
Post #: 533
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 3/8/2018 1:19:15 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nix77

Hi,

absolutey brilliant work with the mod, Roger!

The gravity well idea seems really good, but the effect seems to be painfully heavy especially for the big constructors and colony ships. I hate to watch them slumber along so slow :) Would it be possible to add a multiplier for the gravity well effect to the settings file?

Hi,

I'm glad you like the mod. Unfortunately it has to be considered complete as I no longer have time to work on it. You can get the effect you want by modifying the max size of your skips in the settings file for your race.
Increase ShipSizeFactorCivilian and ShipSizeFactorMilitary and then don't build your ships higher than you normally could and you will get the effect you want. For example, if you triple those values and then only build your ship to the size you normally could it will, effectively reduce the gravity well for that ship by two thirds.
I hope that makes sense.

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 534
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 3/8/2018 3:21:24 PM   
Nix77

Yeah got it, thanks for answering!

That'd be however kind of a bubblegum fix, and wouldn't affect the AI :( I guess I'll just play with the regular effect and see how it works out!

Anyway, you've done lots of good stuff with the mod, plenty of great intuitive ideas and additions to the great game that DW:U is!

I've been for years now planning "The Ultimate 4X Space Game" (on paper only), and I'm astounded how blind most of the game developers are to recycle and refine good concepts and mechanics that have been used in previous succesful or just otherwise brilliant games. And they should really watch and learn from modders like you! I hope some development studio hits the sweet spot with their 4X product some fine day! :D

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 535
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 3/17/2018 12:12:48 AM   
Tanaka

Hi Roger I see you are done with this mod but just have a question. Is it possible to mod how players start out on maps? I've noticed using the map editor that every start there is another race the same distance for me. It looks like the game is set that way. But I would prefer more random distances and was wondering if this was possible with the way you have figured out how to mod?

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 536
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 3/17/2018 1:11:31 AM   
Retreat1970

The only other way that I know would be to pick the AI players manually and set the distances to near, average, or distant however you want.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 537
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 3/17/2018 12:45:18 PM   
zhess4096

Guys
I have problems running this mod in windows 10 but I solve it by updating the direct x in this directory.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010\dxsetup.exe

(in reply to lewenhaupt)
Post #: 538
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 3/17/2018 2:42:50 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

Hi Roger I see you are done with this mod but just have a question. Is it possible to mod how players start out on maps? I've noticed using the map editor that every start there is another race the same distance for me. It looks like the game is set that way. But I would prefer more random distances and was wondering if this was possible with the way you have figured out how to mod?

Hi Tanaka,

I don't think there is anything hard-coded in the start distances. As you increase the number of AI empires the odds of one starting a given distance from you increases. Try starting several games with just one Ai empire and note the distance from you. If its always the same then I guess you are right but I suspect it will vary from one game to another. In any event, as you noted, the mod is complete and I don't have time to do any more digging for new features unfortunately.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 539
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 3/18/2018 10:40:47 PM   
WanderingScholar

Anyone find a way to make this mod compatible with "Retreat UE"? Specifically "Retreat1970's Unleashed Extended II + AI research orders". That would make the ULTIMATE game. I'd love to make it possible or if someone could upload the files if they've already done it?

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI