Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air to air combat with guns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Air to air combat with guns Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air to air combat with guns - 2/14/2018 7:42:41 AM   
kch

I have an problem in the second shifting sands scenario, where I scramble a number of Mirages in order to intercept Syrian aircraft. Unfortunately they do not have any missiles, and immediately go RTB once I assign them an air intercept mission. I am almost 100% sure that it is due to the WRA and doctrine, but I cannot for the life of me seem to get the aircraft to consider their guns as the necessary weapon. Where should I override the doctrine, at the unit level or in the mission editor? And what doctrine should I put in order to prevent them to go RTB the minute they are airborne?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Air to air combat with guns - 2/14/2018 7:08:43 PM   
Excroat3

Go to side doctrine, and in the top right corner, under air ops, there should be an option for Weapon state, pre planned. Under that, select the second Winchester option, which allows combat with air-to-air guns. You might need to change this option for both the entire side and the mission your fighters are assigned to.

(in reply to kch)
Post #: 2
RE: Air to air combat with guns - 2/15/2018 7:36:08 AM   
kch

thanks! For some weird reason then I could get a Air Patrol to work (with guns only aircraft) but Air Intercept still defaulted to RTB right away.

I will definitely try your solution. My Mirages keep on running away from this single Mig17 ;-)

(in reply to Excroat3)
Post #: 3
RE: Air to air combat with guns - 2/15/2018 5:29:36 PM   
Excroat3

You may have been having problems with the air intercept mission because the only doctrine option that allows guns only says they can use the guns in self-defense. For most/all planes past the 1950s and 1960s, when aircraft started relying more on A2A missiles, guns were considered a last resort. That is reflected in the game by the database/engine not considering the gun ammo as part of the airplane's loadout. This means that once the aircraft runs out of missiles, it would normally RTB, as in real life. Nobody wants to be flying around with just guns against enemies with air to air missiles. If the situation gets desperate, you can use guns, and I think that is what that doctrine represents. All that means that if you want to be 100% sure that the aircraft will engage the target with guns, you need to unassign it from its mission, and tell it to attack that target specifically (F1 option).

(in reply to kch)
Post #: 4
RE: Air to air combat with guns - 2/15/2018 9:08:04 PM   
kch

that makes sense.. I really have to spend more time figuring the doctrines and WRA commands.. by the way, that second scenario in Shifting Sands isnt easy to get a pass score !

(in reply to Excroat3)
Post #: 5
RE: Air to air combat with guns - 2/17/2018 3:23:11 AM   
TyeeBanzai

If the problem persists, check the individual WRA for the planes. They might not be able to engage aircraft with their guns, or the specific type of aircraft (fighter, MiG-17).

(in reply to kch)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Air to air combat with guns Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI