Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  466 467 [468] 469 470   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2018 2:39:27 AM   
Canoerebel

5/10/45

Intel Screen: Allied score unexpectedly leaped a bit today. Unexpected because the main bombing raid vs. Osaka was scrubbed by weather (and it would've been interesting, because John used max CAP). But a modest raid vs. Gifu aircraft and engine factories scored very well.

Is this just a matter of dice or is there something about "new" targets that makes a hit more powerful? I suspect it's just the dice, but man, yesterday's huge raid vs. Osaka scored just 200 points and today's scored more than 700. You'll have to take my word for it that this was a disproportionate result.

I'll post a complete map in a bit. Today had an encouraging clash at Fusan and tomorrow features an all-out assault at Peiping. The latter, if wildly successful, could end the war. But the hardest choices will be where to send bombers and sweepers.

And unless John has a major change of heart, the war ends in one, two, or three days with KB and kamikazes languishing unused and John self-persuaded that such use was sensible.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14011
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2018 12:51:03 PM   
MakeeLearn

I believe a bigger subject is being put on top of my original point. Encompassing it and steering it in a certain direction. Looking into Trail trees I see that there is large following of believing that a bent tree is a man made landmark tree. My point was concerning a more subtle use of of a tree sign and it's transition in folklore.

My original main point.

"A Cherokee, or any person of that time/place would alter a small tree, or it's branches to convey a "Sign" message, and if left in that position long enough it would grow into that position. And the sender or receiver would note it's altered growth over the years and tell it's tale. "

Landmark/trail trees are different from a sign tree and I was explaining how folklore could have happen.
I was trying to explain how a small tree used as sign could have been left in that position, the tale was told, passed as folklore so that those Landmark Trail mature trees now appear everywhere.

quote:

"The most important thing is to understand that bent trees are formed naturally and occur abundantly in the woods. I can go into the process if anybody wants to know it in detail but I think most of you who have an interest understand that bent trees are perfectly natural."

Well of course!!! That verges on being "Lawyer Grease", I've got all kinds of weird shape trees around me. Most natural, some I've done.

The majority of trees that exist today are skaggy pion trees compared to the trees that were here then. With multiple layers. Even in Rutherford's time, late 1700s, he tells of canopies of the same group of grape vines that covered over a mile.

To me a important point about longterm "Landmark Trail" trees, if made by the Indians it would been more than just a tree with a bend in it. It would have been a work of art... Medicine. That the Indians shaped trees for the long term I have no doubt, but just a bend?

quote:

"Then they ran into a historical record that is amazingly silent on the topic. Hundreds or maybe thousands of soldiers, explorers, government emissaries, mapmakers, surveyors, frontiersmen, hunters, adventurers, scientists, geologists, missionaries, and others trapsed the southeastern part of what is now the USA and left detailed diaries, letters, reports, etc. None referred to the practice of American Indians bending trees. For example, William Bartram traveled the southeast extensively in the 1770s and made notes about every little thing. But he didn't mention "trail trees"; he didn't mention the Cherokee or Creek or Seminole doing this kind of thing. Neither did Hawkins or Featherstonehaugh or scores/hundreds of others.
But Bartram noted all kinds of other ways the Cherokee marked trails - they nailed animals skins to trees, used hatchets to create blazes on trees, and cut notches into trees. In the historical records you'll find all kinds of references to "Two Notch Road" and "Three Notch Road" and "Five Notch Road" and so on and so on. But you'll find nothing about bent trees. "

Most of those people you listed would not know a "tactical sign" from a hole in the ground. They could not fully understand the Indians much less convey it to a reader. Like music to someone who has a tin ear. Many Indian Signs would have passed under the radar for the majority of them. They were whites looking into the Indian world. So what they see and then describe has a chance of being out of context. Like music theory to someone who has a tin ear. In all study of Indian history it's best to learn as much as possible and then to see through the eyes of a detective.
If it is written "They looked for Indian sign..." it does not always mean just footprints and litter.
The Indians hung all kinds of things in trees, they decorated their world and each different meaning. Not every sign would have been for mass consumption. Nor would they want it easily seen. Not every Indian Sign was a neon sign.

I spent 2 years learning the art of the ambush in the tropics and Ive spent decades in the woods. I've tracked a bear by prints and signs for 2 years off and on until I found it. I can smell deer and snakes when the conditions are right. Ive learned the sounds of the animals around me and what they may be indicating. Once as we made our way Indian file through the jungle I noticed a elephant ear plant and one ear was hanging a little closer to the stalk than the others. "NEST" whispered in my head and as I creeped by I looked at the backside of the lower hanging leaf and there was a fist size bee nest. A awesome feeling - one with my surroundings.

All that, and having Creek blood, Point is... I see how the Indian world would have been on a different thinking plane than most white people in that era, except for those whites that had become as Indians. So expecting whites to correctly and completely comprehend and write about the Indians world of that time is a unrealistic expectation.

Have you read every account?

1770s is late.
Not reading the unabridged accounts of the DeSoto expedition is to build a house on sand, no matter how many or what other works are read no full understanding can be had without it.
Garcilaso de la Vega gives the best and first account of southeastern Indians.

I don't have access to the books I use to. At one time, having no AC in Alabama I lived in the Library Reference section and off shelf book room of the library and had access to many older books.

Some I can remember

-The original Desoto accounts. Symmetrical forests, trees shaped into the fortress walls of towns. Wood carvings in cut and living wood. And other use of Signs. The SCRIPTURE .
-Works and tales of Simon Kenton. Signs tree/rocks/etc use.
-Rutherford Survey Expedition. There is the landmark tree and maybe some other signs. He tells of Indian spirits they encountered.
-Works by the writer of the New Testament on Indian history - John Swanton(1920s). Lots of detail as he pulls from older writings and some first hand accounts of tribal history.

And two other books. Ive got stuff in boxes due to construction right now. Large compilation works:
~ "History of the Southeastern Indians"
~ "History and Culture of the Cherokee"

For those that don't know, as shown by the ~ sign Iam unsure of the exact titles. The second contains a lot of stuff that is the first, it was a gift to me from one of my group when I was a walk leader at a fitness spa.

quote:

"And why would Native Americans used bent trees when they occurred so naturally and abundantly? There'd be nothing more potentially confusing and misleading than to use as a "sign" something that occurred all the time, all over the place: "Hey, is that bent tree a 'sign tree' or is it 'natural'?" "I dunno, what do you think?" "I dunno." Far quicker and more reliable to use an ax to create notches or blazes, or to tack skins to trees. Nature doesn't replicate those things.But the Bent Tree afficionados disregard the scientific and historic record and continue to abide in the house built on the foundation of their original error that "bent trees must've been created by mankind." Instead of assuming the easy explanation (hey, they occur naturally all the time, so the odds are this one is natural), they do the opposite (hey, they occur naturally all the time, but let's assume this one is manmade even though there's no scientific reason to believe so and nothing in the historic record to suggest so)."

That's the point. Do you want a big Neon sign for every thing... "This way" or "I saw so and so in this area". Trade Paths, Peace Paths and War Paths... those are actual paths, some times you want the sign to be as discrete as possible.... noticeable only to those who know them. Reading Sign was only half, you had to find the sign.

quote:

"Early last century, a man in Chicago wrote a letter to the editor about this. He noted that a historic marker had been placed by a bent tree commemorating American Indians forming it as a "trail tree." But he had been present when the tree was bent during a storm some 50 or 75 years previously. He knew it had been formed by natural causes. He called the notion that it had been formed by American Indians "a pretty conceit." Today's Bent Tree afficionados refer to his letter as "a well-known assertion by a naysayer, familiar to us all." They completely dismiss his firsthand account and continue to propound a theory contrary to science and the historical record. It is, after all, a pretty conceit."

To get back to bent Trail trees which was not the focus of my original point but is still interesting:

And that man was George H. Holt and though he admits to seeing the bent in the tree being naturally formed, that is not his best argument.

His statement that: "Any Indian who was so ignorant of woodcraft as to conceive of marking a trail by bending over a limb and fastening it to the ground in the manner indicated in this tablet, would have been the laughing stock of every other Indian." ... carries more weight in his protest of a simple bent tree.

And "George H. Holt was the only person to voice an opinion against the trail market tree research. He was in the lumber business, so he may have had other reasons for not wanting trees identified as historic trail marker trees."

And there is Valentine Smith's rebuttal to Holt.

"Trail Tree" Tablet. Chicago, Nov 15.
To the Editor: As chairman of the committee of the Chicago Daughters of the American Revolution which erected this bronze table, I have decided to reply to the criticisms of George H. Holt.

Mr. Holt stands alone in his contentions. I think he must have mistaken the tree, because his memory would be almost superhuman if he ever saw the pointing branch of that tree stand upright. We have not acted without consulting authorities. Frank R. Grover, vice president of the Evanston Historical Society, read a paper on Indian trail marks before the Chicago Historical Society on Feb. 21, 1905. His paper can be found on pages 267-8 of the publication of that society. He said that at various points along the north shore, following the old Indian trails, trees were still to be found which had evidently been bent and tied down with saplings to mark the Indian trails. The trees, he said, were invariably large, which indicated that they had been bent something over a century ago. One of the trees he mentioned was selected by the committee to support the tablet.

The "pointing branch' of this tree was not broken, but bent. The fiber of the wood leaves no doubt of this fact. The same even curve to be observed in the fiber was to be discerned in the bark before relic hunters stripped it bare. A whirlwind would not have left the tree in this condition.

Mr. Holt is evidently unaware of the existence of three other trees along the same trail from Lakeside station south to Hubbard's woods. Each tree has its pointing branch and all are white elms. They are arranged so systematically that they tell their own story. Moreover, the use of "trail" trees so marked is not doubted by Jens Jensen, landscape architect and member of the outer park belt commission, City Forester Prost and other experts."

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 2/25/2018 2:57:10 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14012
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2018 12:51:47 PM   
MakeeLearn

A simple "this way" ... "that way" Sign. Other markers could be added.
Signs would have been a SOP meaning, dependent on the group using them.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 2/25/2018 2:57:55 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 14013
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2018 12:52:25 PM   
MakeeLearn

Three rocks and a bent tree. "Go that way" "I went that way" or as the way tree wants to "Go the way opposite that the tree points. Or "Hide" as the tree is doing.
Meanings would be assign by those using the signs. Of course trees would be used in every sign.

I bent the tree under the other. The 3 rocks are the key marker of the Sign.

Anyone know what those clumps of green sprouts, left and right of rocks, are? They are...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 2/26/2018 10:30:34 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 14014
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2018 12:52:59 PM   
MakeeLearn

Multiple Markers in this Sign. 3rocks, single rock, bent tree, fell wood.
Again, meanings would be assign by those using the signs.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 2/26/2018 8:50:07 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 14015
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2018 12:55:34 PM   
MakeeLearn

Any long term shaped trees done by the Indians would have have been along these works, combined with carvings and short term ornaments.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 14016
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2018 1:25:43 PM   
dave sindel

This sort of back and forth exchange is one of the things I will miss most when this AAR concludes - the "other" subjects that get touched upon outside of WITPAE. I learned more about "sign" this morning reading these posts than I could ever have imagined. Whichever side of the subject you find yourself on - "natural" or "man-made", the subject itself is very interesting.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 14017
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2018 1:57:25 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

When walking in the woods if one smells 3day old bacon grease, what thoughts?

No one knows?

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 14018
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2018 2:08:28 PM   
JohnDillworth

I'll cross post what I posed in John's AAR. He was wandering about all the activity here:
"Talk about forestry and trees? Happens all the time. Honestly every time time he goes on a long hike the entire AAR degenerates into "This Week in Horticulture". Odd thing is many of the readers of the ARR seem to have strong opinions about such stuff. Present company included. Frankly you might try a bit of "Maskirovka" yourself and start talking about steam trains every time you want to gin up your numbers and make Dan think something big is coming.
"

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 14019
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2018 2:17:37 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

I'll cross post what I posed in John's AAR. He was wandering about all the activity here:
"Talk about forestry and trees? Happens all the time. Honestly every time time he goes on a long hike the entire AAR degenerates into "This Week in Horticulture". Odd thing is many of the readers of the ARR seem to have strong opinions about such stuff. Present company included. Frankly you might try a bit of "Maskirovka" yourself and start talking about steam trains every time you want to gin up your numbers and make Dan think something big is coming.
"

So J3 is into trains. That's a very interesting subject. He should.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 14020
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/25/2018 11:08:48 PM   
waihi

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffroK

Seeing so many have fled and crossed the ditch I thought you envied us.

Some of the flag options were excellent, problem in changes like that is that there must be 1 overpowering option, otherwise they dilute the vote.

Did you cop any of the Cyclone overflow, I'm headed there in 20 days (I can give the days/hours countdown)and regularly check my accomodation hasnt been shaken down or washed away.

Been travelling on way back currently, have been told not too much damage at home. You should be good to go, have a good visit.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 14021
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 12:57:15 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Is this just a matter of dice or is there something about "new" targets that makes a hit more powerful? I suspect it's just the dice, but man, yesterday's huge raid vs. Osaka scored just 200 points and today's scored more than 700. You'll have to take my word for it that this was a disproportionate result.

For whatever my $0.02 is worth, I think that there is coding to make "new" targets give better results. It makes a fair amount of sense: after an airstrike or shelling, the defenders will naturally attempt to harden the target. Sandbags, fire buckets, tape over the windows, etc.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14022
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 1:15:11 AM   
Canoerebel

5/11/45

Indian Ocean: Because it's what inveterate raiders do.

John slipped a carrier force past Addu to near India. I had no idea there was anything out here - none at all - until suddenly enemy search planes find a RN CVE parked at Addu. It'd been there for weeks - diverted from it's original objective of Colombo when an enemy wolfpack infested those waters weeks ago. I'd forgotten all about the CVE and hadn't looked at Addu probably since I issued the order to re-route back in mid April.

There are two other RN CVEs at Colombo, recently arrived, and a third at Aden, which remained there due to uncertainty over what was going on.

Back in late April, after his Ceylon raid, John pulled KB South back to Sumatra. I don't know if he left this carrier behind, slipped another forward in intervening weeks, or what. I usually have a feel for what's where. I was a bit concerned about RN Death Star, which had been covering ships unloading at Victoria Point, and ordered that TF to detach and head for safety at Rangoon. But my concern was the possibility John might slip a KB into the Gulf of Siam and attack across the peninsula.

Funny and fitting to be utterly surprised near the end of all things.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 14023
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 1:25:35 AM   
Canoerebel

5/11/45

Raid on Hirosoki/Aomorai: Testing Capt. Harlock's theory, a modest number of 4EB targeted this base for the first time, scoring decent hits. I'll check to see how much damage was done. Escorting long-range fighters from Korea provided escort.

The day's main raid was vs. Gifu aircraft engine factories. The bombers encountered minimal CAP, which sweeps and escorts handled.

The tertiary target was Hammamatsu (another "virgin" target that took heavy hits today).

The quaternary targets were Kumamoto and Fukyama in southern Japan, which had no CAP.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/26/2018 1:40:16 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14024
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 1:34:36 AM   
Canoerebel

5/11/45

Raid on CenPac: It's what he does. This (mostly) unexpected raid catches a picket YMS patrolling NW of Midway.

John's previous CenPac raid force had retired to Marcus a week ago before I lost track of it. I kept looking for it via recon over Yokahama, Tokyo and other likely ports, but it never showed up. I had no info he had moved it east again, but I was concerned. I had detached a CL/DD force from Pearl a week ago, with the idea of a possible surface raid starting from Midway. I held the TF there four or five turns due to lack of information about KB's location.

They'll retire to Johnston Island post haste.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14025
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 1:50:18 AM   
Canoerebel

5/11/45

Battle of Peiping:
This key city falls on opening Allied attack, a mix of shock and deliberate assaults. The enemy defenders weren't mussed up badly but overwhelming weight of numbers made the difference.

This base is worth alot of points when built out and should provide enough for auto victory, even if strategic bombing gets tougher.

This is only about 40% of the Allied army on the move in this region. I think this Land Death Star can go wherever it wants, conquering the balance of Asia as quickly as road movement permits. That will allow the Western Army in Korea to relax a bit, finish up Fusan, and prep for Japan proper.

Worries that the Chinese contingent, shock attacking across river, would take heavy losses didn't come to pass.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14026
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 1:56:33 AM   
Canoerebel

5/11/45

Auto Victory: As the movie continued to play, scrolling through various routine messages, suddenly there was a sounding of trumpets (not loud, not magnificent, but rather lame) accompanying the display of this screen, which is rather magnificent after 3.5 years of war and 5.25 years of real life.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14027
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 2:00:11 AM   
Canoerebel

So I clicked the "View End Game Stats" button and the screen disappeared and to open the file I have to enter John's password, which I don't have. Which means I have to watch the entire turn again and then click "Quit Game," I guess, in order to view the next turn map and see what happened and why AV occurred. I guess the strong bombings today did most of the work needed, as it would take a turn or two for supply to come to Peiping to provide significant points for that key base.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14028
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 2:07:37 AM   
Canoerebel

Message to John III:

Well, well. Here we are at the end of all things.

That was unexpected. The turn was wrapping up. The screen was scrolling through the usual messages. Suddenly there was the rather lame sound of trumpets. And then the AV screen popped up.

I clicked the "View End of Game Stats" button and the file closed out. So I'm unable to view the next turn file to see what's going on where.

We haven't discussed AV lately, but I would guess that Japan is ready to surrender? I'm glad to continue on if you want to see what would happen over the next few months, although there may not be a great deal of purpose in it. Japan still has a navy and an air force, but Asia is a disaster and the ability to bomb from nearby Korea is just a death grip.

If you want to continue on, say the word. If not, my password is Coral42.

Send me your password if this is the end, but hold onto it if you want to continue a bit further.

Much more to say later. Bottom line: Thanks for soldiering on gamely until the very, very end. Many/most would have quit long ago. Others might've been tempted to get silly or negligent at the end on the idea of "what's the use." But here at the end, KB is raiding and weird TFs are bombarding Singapore and massive CAPs appear over Osaka and surface clashes take place and I always know that you're paying the game the homage of taking it completely seriously right up until the moment that lame trumpets sound. You are a trooper.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14029
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 2:09:47 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Congratulations!

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14030
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 2:10:42 AM   
Canoerebel

John had sent this message with his email, so I wondered if the end was nigh (darn it, the guy cannot keep himself from tipping off turns):

Allied Intel detects a HUGE amount of coded transmissions coming from Tokyo starting on May 10th.

All the huge fans of Tokyo Rose begin complaining that the damned Air Corps must have hit the Radio Station because, with no warning, she drops off the air at 1415 hours local Tokyo time. The radio station has not transmitted since then. The Air Corps, immediately denies bombing the station. HECK it has never stuck Tokyo—EVER!

He's wrong about Tokyo. Superforts hit it early and hard, doing considerable damage to Heavy Industry and Light Industry, with lesser damage to some other targets.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14031
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 3:01:08 AM   
panzer cat

Congratulations from a 5 year lurker.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14032
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 3:03:14 AM   
jwolf

YES!! I picked the correct end game date. John had a pool going in his AAR.

Congratulations to both of you for a great game and super pair of AARs.

BTW it's a real tribute to your playing ability that you got a victory earlier than historical in spite of the really souped up Japanese forces in this mod.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14033
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 3:10:02 AM   
FlyByKnight

Congratulations on your success, Canoe.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 14034
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 3:11:00 AM   
Canoerebel

Thanks, gentlemen. Thanks for reading or lurking, thanks for chiming in or helping or reproofing. I posted at more length a few days back to express my gratitude for you guys. I'll post more, probably as I read back through my AAR or when I read John's.

jwolf, congrats on winning the pool. You, like Carnak, are a soothsayer without peer! John III was only off by a day.

I never made a prediction as the likely date of victory, although I noted as early as November '44 that if the scoring trend continued, the likely date of victory was "late April or early May." I thought there was a chance it could be considerably earlier (perhaps as early as February) if I ever managed to tap into the "thousand points a day" strategic bombing recipe I'd heard about or if John banzaiid his fleet.

The rate of scoring continued pretty much the dame until mid February, when supply in Asia ran low, forcing the 4EB to stand down while Death Star went to the DEI to retrieve and escort the next shipment. When DS returned with all that supply, the air war kicked into overdrive (Operation Unicycle) and finished the war in about 40 days of intense bombing.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 14035
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 3:18:10 AM   
BillBrown

Now what will I read every day?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14036
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 3:21:23 AM   
DW

Congratulations, Canoe.

From the dashed hopes of Sumatra to your crushing victories, it was a hell of a ride.

I typically only follow one game at a time, and I've been following this one for ages.

Does anyone have a recommendation on who else has a really interesting game going on?

< Message edited by DW -- 2/26/2018 3:23:29 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14037
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 3:28:42 AM   
Canoerebel

It's hard for me to follow multiple games, too, DW.

Right now, Obvert vs. Lowpe has to be the "go to" game. Weird stuff going on as two exceptional players duke it out.

(in reply to DW)
Post #: 14038
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 3:41:52 AM   
Canoerebel

I'm afraid it's going to be very hard to come off the high of playing the game. Pretty much every day, I could count on an intense injection of fun (endorphins? adrenaline?) as a new turn arrived. First I'd view the written combat report. Then I'd watch the replay. Then I'd begin entering orders, always following the same general routine as I worked my way around the map. Turns often took three to six hours. None of that was gazing - all of it was clicking. Going through Death Star and land-based air to attend to all the details for the day was overwhelmingly time-consuming and often not very much fun.

But over the past year, as the Allies gained so much power and achieved the position from which to engage in serious raids, missions and attacks every day - lots and lots of them everywhere - the excitement and sense of fulfillment was intense. I was experiencing the rare thrill of seeing to fruition a plan set in motion in late 1942. Every turn - from receipt in the inbox to return through the outbox promised hours and hours of fun.

Suddenly that's gone from each day. No longer can I wake up and expect at some point during the day to have something that fun to look forward to.

It's going to be a real adjustment. Partly, my game with Erik will begin to assert priority and contribute that much fun, but early on I'm likely to spend alot more time outdoors, running, hiking and mountain biking. March, April and May in Georgia are (usually) superb months for outdoors activities. And I'll continue to read, which has always been my main source of relaxation.

I don't think I'll consider starting another game anytime soon. I need this to settle. I want to take some time to adjust to a more non-game routine to measure it against the intense game routine. IE, I'll be doing what Bullwinkle expressed not long ago in another thread, where he noted he'd celebrated a landmark birthday and just needed time to prioritize life.

This game? Crack. Cocaine. Fun. Challenging. Exciting.

Best game ever.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14039
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/26/2018 3:51:16 AM   
Lovejoy

Well done!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14040
Page:   <<   < prev  466 467 [468] 469 470   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  466 467 [468] 469 470   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI