Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/2/2018 11:35:35 PM   
larryfulkerson

You have to be in a port hex and not have moved yet to embark on a ship. But once it's embarked you move it via sea
until you get adjacent to the hex you want to attack. Ordering it to attack will schuedule the assault unless you
get an RBC from the defending unit.

It's best to move in groups because of the possibility of sea int and it's best if your convoys could have some air
coverage fighters would be good, and don't committ to the attack until you're sure you're going to do it because if
you cancel the attack you'll loose 1/2 the MP's of your attackers.

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 91
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 5:00:18 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

You have to be in a port hex and not have moved yet to embark on a ship. But once it's embarked you move it via sea
until you get adjacent to the hex you want to attack. Ordering it to attack will schuedule the assault unless you
get an RBC from the defending unit.

It's best to move in groups because of the possibility of sea int and it's best if your convoys could have some air
coverage fighters would be good, and don't committ to the attack until you're sure you're going to do it because if
you cancel the attack you'll loose 1/2 the MP's of your attackers.
warspite1

Okay thanks - a few further questions if I may:

Do the transports have a range limit i.e. do I need to be in a certain port to reach the mainland?

How do I know how many transports I have?

What is the best way to fly cap? Is that simply place air units on sea interdiction/air superiority and hope they fly or is there some way of ordering them to cover a crossing route?

Many thanks!

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 92
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 5:14:32 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

You have to be in a port hex and not have moved yet to embark on a ship. But once it's
embarked you move it via sea until you get adjacent to the hex you want to attack.
Ordering it to attack will schedule the assault unless you get an RBC from the defending unit.

It's best to move in groups because of the possibility of sea int and it's best if your
convoys could have some air coverage, fighters would be good, and don't commit to the
attack until you're sure you're going to do it because if you cancel the attack you'll
loose 1/2 the MP's of your attackers.

Do the transports have a range limit i.e. do I need to be in a certain port to reach the mainland?
Yes they do and it changes when you embark so that it's much further.

The sea capability will tell you how much weight you can transport just like the air transport
for air drops.

What is the best way to fly cap? Is that simply place air units on sea interdiction/air superiority and hope they fly or is there some way of ordering them to cover a crossing route?
You can adjust the range of your air units so that they just cover the affected area, the route
of your convoy. I like to have a lot of AS if possible because they can shoot down the sea int
strikes. Other than that I don't really have a good way to have planes concentrate in an area.

Many thanks!
Thanks for your really cool questions.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/3/2018 5:15:08 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 93
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 5:28:50 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

You have to be in a port hex and not have moved yet to embark on a ship. But once it's
embarked you move it via sea until you get adjacent to the hex you want to attack.
Ordering it to attack will schedule the assault unless you get an RBC from the defending unit.

It's best to move in groups because of the possibility of sea int and it's best if your
convoys could have some air coverage, fighters would be good, and don't commit to the
attack until you're sure you're going to do it because if you cancel the attack you'll

The sea capability will tell you how much weight you can transport just like the air transport
for air drops.

You can adjust the range of your air units so that they just cover the affected area, the route
of your convoy. I like to have a lot of AS if possible because they can shoot down the sea int
strikes. Other than that I don't really have a good way to have planes concentrate in an area.

Many thanks!
warspite1

Thanks I hadn't considered the weight thing - makes sense and I guess I'll suck it and see when I get to that, but the main point of that question (i.e. no. of transports) is how many units can I have at sea at one time (and no. of potential invasions).

Final question. In the absence of mulberries how do I get supplied if and when I get anyone ashore on the mainland - do I take it I have to get a port asap?

Post #: 94
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 5:47:46 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

for air drops.

Many thanks!
warspite1

Thanks I hadn't considered the weight thing - makes sense and I guess I'll suck it and see when I get to that, but the main point of that question (i.e. no. of transports) is how many units can I have at sea at one time (and no. of potential invasions).

Final question. In the absence of mulberries how do I get supplied if and when I get anyone ashore on the mainland - do I take it I have to get a port asap?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 95
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 5:50:27 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

All of them if you have the sea cap for them. There's no limit of which I'm aware.

quote:

Right. Take the port and protect it because it may be the only source of supply you'll have for a
short while.

Post #: 96
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 5:55:07 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

All of them if you have the sea cap for them. There's no limit of which I'm aware.

quote:

Right. Take the port and protect it because it may be the only source of supply you'll have for a
short while.

warspite1

Merci beacoup. Let's see what my invasion tactics are like; Gallipoli or D-Day... I think I know which one my money is on

Post #: 97
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 6:02:49 AM   
larryfulkerson

I think Brian chose to invade directly across the channel from Messina because of all the air coverage those airfields afford. Also, my sea int was
rampant and he probably wanted the shortest distance to travel. Have you given any thought to where you want to invade? The Axis player gets
expected reinforcements that he can rail to threatened areas from far north Italy.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 98
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 6:18:19 AM   
warspite1

A sensible, proper, serious wargamer - like a good general - plans his moves out in advance and makes proper preparation in good time.

So no, no I haven't

Post #: 99
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 7:16:26 AM   
warspite1

Turn 35
13th August 1943

I have started to move my units around. I need to:

- place them in low density stacks in case of air strikes
- place them where supply is good
- ensure I have enough cap in place to cover against air strikes.

I'll look at one unit at a time to check on strength as the turns progress. The Allies did not invade until September so I do have some time in hand. I see there is only one port on the island!

There is nothing in the reinforcement schedule to say any units get taken away so that is something I don't have to worry about (unlike CFNA where its a constant issue).

British 5th Division HQ
13th Infantry Brigade - almost full strength 99/108 rifle squads
15th Infantry Brigade - almost full strength 102/108 rifle squads
17th Infantry Brigade - full strength
5th Division Field Artillery Regiment - full strength
Reconnaissance Bn. - full strength

US 1st Division HQ
16th Regiment - almost full strength 86/90 rifle squads
18th Regiment - full strength
26th Regiment - almost full strength 87/90 rifle squads
1st Division HHB Field Artillery - full strength
Engineer Bn. - full strength
Reconnaissance Cmpy. - full strength

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/3/2018 7:29:41 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 100
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 7:34:21 AM   
IainF

An important point I think Larry missed re: sea landings and I'm not sure if you are aware of it. You can only land where there is a port symbol. So the enemy knows all of your potential landing points and will be waiting.

I am playing Ian in the same scenario too and am still around Mt Etna at the moment so looking forward to see how you do this bit!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 101
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 7:44:16 AM   
warspite1

Turn 35
13th August 1943

I spend the turn bombarding one of the Italian ports across the straits - more for effect than anything else.

I am surprised to see the air superiority of the enemy (not that I know much about this campaign) and hope that as my air assets recover so that ratio can switch over....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 102
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 7:49:15 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: IainF

An important point I think Larry missed re: sea landings and I'm not sure if you are aware of it. You can only land where there is a port symbol. So the enemy knows all of your potential landing points and will be waiting.

I am playing Ian in the same scenario too and am still around Mt Etna at the moment so looking forward to see how you do this bit!
warspite1

Well that's kind of important I guess I did not make my question clear and what Larry said wasn't wrong - I just wasn't specific enough. Thanks ever so much for the clarification.

(in reply to IainF)
Post #: 103
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/5/2018 6:39:02 AM   
warspite1

Turn 36 - 39
14th - 17th August 1943

Not too much happening at present. The Allies continue to bombard the port of Reggio di Calabria* (and had success in evaporating one unit) but otherwise its all quiet on the Sicilian Front.

* Its good to let my opponent think that this is where the attack will come

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 104
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/5/2018 7:30:04 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: IainF

If you wish to land at a non-port hex just wait until next turn, disembark while still on the water
and move ashore.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 105
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/6/2018 8:21:04 AM   
warspite1

Turn 40 and 41
18th and 19th August 1943

Well I've no idea what I'm really doing so decide to sail a British task force over to Calabria to see how this amphib invasion malarchy works...or not.

First I embark the wrong HQ - 50th Division HQ embarks for a 5th Division operation...

I start with a round of bombardment.

For the attack I employ:

British 5th Division
13th Infantry Brigade
15th Infantry Brigade
5th Reconnaissance Bn.

8th Army assets
21st Tank Brigade
201st Motorised Brigade
8th Army Engineers

Plus 1st Canadian Artillery Regiment

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/6/2018 8:28:25 AM >

Post #: 106
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/6/2018 8:44:54 AM   
warspite1

Turn 40 and 41

Okay kids. Don't try this at home.

If you do this....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/6/2018 8:59:00 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 107
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/6/2018 8:58:37 AM   
warspite1

Turn 40 and 41

You get this...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 108
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/6/2018 9:01:08 AM   
warspite1

Turn 40 and 41

Neither of the two infantry brigades made it to shore - nor did the 201st Guards Brigade or the Recon Bn. So I don't have a whole lot to try and defend with when the counter attack happens....

With only one port to sail from I'm not sure what I could do differently - which is a little worrying.....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/6/2018 9:05:34 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 109
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/6/2018 2:51:27 PM   
warspite1

Turn 42 - Axis and Allied Turn
20th August 1943

Allied aircraft couldn't hit anything when trying to interdict escaping Germans, but that doesn't apply the other way around as I lose a infantry brigade, a recce battalion and and armoured brigade at sea. It gets better though as I lose four squadrons on hair-brained interdiction schemes in the teeth of the enemy (I subsequently re-set the ranges so hopefully that won't happen again.... but the lack of control over the air forces is really cheesing me off) - as is the fact that not all events are reported. Why would that omission be added into the game design??

I land more troops at Reggio but the place is totally surrounded and with only a port that can be landed in I don't see how I can survive let alone expand the bridgehead.

More troops have been withdrawn too - maybe this is for the historic landing dates? I've no idea. Ho hum.

In a desperate attempt to expand the bridgehead before reinforcements arrive I launch an attack south along the coastal highway. The Italian forces are forced to retreat but only one armoured brigade advances...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/6/2018 3:01:32 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 110
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/6/2018 6:57:55 PM   
warspite1

Turn 43 - Axis and Allied Turn
21st August 1943

No attacks - although I thought I saw a unit evaporate in the playback. The enemy continue to pour reinforcements into the peninsular.

I land further Anglo-American forces south of Reggio and finally get the surviving British infantry brigade ashore - albeit with further loss.

The newly arrived 91st Cavalry Bn. then breaks out of the beachhead to the south, while the British 21st Tank Brigade does the same to the northwest.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/6/2018 7:13:36 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 111
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/6/2018 7:13:13 PM   
warspite1

Turn 43
21st August 1943

By the time of the failed proficiency check, the British had managed to breakout north from Reggio and are heading toward the town of Galico.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/6/2018 7:16:10 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 112
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/6/2018 8:05:27 PM   
warspite1

Turn 44 - Axis and Allied Turn
22nd August 1944

Little from the Germans except a lot of movement in central Italy as they prepare the ground. I have no reason to believe devoncop has given up Calabria at this stage and so have to remain vigilant.

The British continue to push out from their bridgehead northwards and the 7th Guards Brigade rushes ahead to Canntello - where its is somewhat exposed as other units were unable to reach Galico.

The Americans are ordered south along the coastal road toward Siderno.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/7/2018 6:42:27 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 113
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/6/2018 8:46:52 PM   
warspite1

Turn 45 - Axis Turn
23rd August 1944

During the playback it states yet another of my fighter squadrons on Sicily evaporates??? Hopefully there will be something in the combat report to help me understand what that is about*. In the meantime there are a lot of mean looking black coloured units heading toward my lines....

*Edit: Nope nothing

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/6/2018 8:48:51 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 114
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/6/2018 8:47:16 PM   
warspite1

Turn 45
23rd August 1944

I get a message to say the RA and Italian Army disbands as I've successfully invaded Italy - Hussah!

Not much doing this turn. I see there are strong German mechanised forces heading toward the British. The British dig-in pending seeing what exactly the Germans have got. The Canadian 1st Division lands and provides support while more US forces head up the somewhat barren east coast - no ports - no airfields for some time.

The airfields in Calabria start to get filled up.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/6/2018 9:17:09 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 115
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/6/2018 11:03:56 PM   
DanNeely

Huh. I wonder what the trigger for the Italian surrender is. The Italians have kept on fighting for a decent number of turns past the initial landings in Larry's game.

Makes me wonder if the trigger was Canntello (only named place that fell in your game but not Larry's yet) or is semi-random.

Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 116
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/7/2018 6:13:44 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanNeely

Huh. I wonder what the trigger for the Italian surrender is. The Italians have kept on fighting for a decent number of turns past the initial landings in Larry's game.

Makes me wonder if the trigger was Canntello (only named place that fell in your game but not Larry's yet) or is semi-random.
warspite1

Now that is a very interesting question. Maybe something to do with ratio of German units to enemy landed? I've no idea but it would be great to get a response to this.

(in reply to DanNeely)
Post #: 117
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/7/2018 7:29:44 AM   
larryfulkerson

I responded in my thread about this but I feel like saying something here too just so it won't
be missed. Um....I thought the trigger for the surrender of Italy was the Allies landing on
the Italian mainland but you guys brought up the factoid that my game still has a lot of
Italian units hanging around and I'm not sure why. If Italy surrendered then they must have
switched sides or something. I'll look around for a news string to that effect. Meanwhile
I'm wondering if this is a scenario bug or what.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 118
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/7/2018 4:13:00 PM   
warspite1

Turn 46 - Axis Turn
24th August 1943

There appears to be something of a general withdrawal from the toe of Italy. I wonder how far this will go - or indeed if this is a trap to over-extend my forces so he can counter-attack?

I don't think this is the case as his aircraft seem to have been sent north too.

Post #: 119
RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/7/2018 4:38:37 PM   
warspite1

Turn 46
24th August 1943

I was all set to dig-in then, but in light of events I send the 4th Armoured Brigade ahead to check on what the Germans are doing. They come across a battalion of panzergrenadiers of the 115th Regiment at Nicotera.

2 tank and 3 infantry brigades attack and force the enemy out of the town - which is occupied by the 9th Armoured Brigade.

To the east, the US force proceed along the ball of the foot. They come across some blown bridges which slow them down. Engineers are on the way.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/7/2018 4:47:00 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: STBP 1943-45 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI