Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 2/25/2018 9:31:39 AM   
warspite1

Turn 124
22nd November 1941

Well clearly hanging around at the Halfaya Pass will only lead to one thing so I will need to retreat sharpish with whatever I can get out. Most of my aircraft are reorganising so I suspect devoncop will have a field day attacking airfields (although I'm hoping he does not have the recce capability to see this (and I have a lot of AA on each hex).

The air situation is desperate. After all that time building up to strength, good rotational policy to ensure no unit went into action unless dark green and at or very near full strength, the position - within just a few turns - is a total mess.

13 (0 operational) Hurricane sqns - 271/312 aircraft - 8 in reserve - 6 replacements per turn 
5 (0 operational) Blenheim sqns - 100/120 aircraft - 90 in reserve - 3 replacements per turn 
1 (0 operational) Tomahawk sqns - 23/24 aircraft - 0 in reserve - 0 replacements per turn 
1 (0 operational) Albacore sqn - 8/10 aircraft - 0 in reserve - 0 replacements per turn 
0 (0 operational) Beaufighter sqn - 0/0 aircraft - 10 in reserve - 1 replacement per turn 
1 (0 operational) Gladiator sqn - 18/24 aircraft - 1 in reserve - 1 replacement per turn?? This should have ended on Turn 98 
1 (0 operational) Wellington sqn - 24/24 aircraft - 45 in reserve - 2 replacements per turn 
1 (0 operational) Kittyhawk sqn - 23/24 aircraft - 51 in reserve - 4 replacements per turn

I decide to pull back to the Halfaya Pass and see what happens (although I think I already know the script). I have to buy some time for my aircrews to recover but frankly I don't know how to stop impregnable panzers, 30+ artillery pieces (and that's just the ones I've seen) and swarms of 300+ aircraft that destroy mine even if its Italian vs CW. As can be seen, I'm suffering from something of a morale crisis at present

Time for a little music I love this track so much - and provides the perfect ambience for the highly depressed mood at GHQ Cairo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn5YZ2umScM

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/25/2018 4:19:29 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 511
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 2/25/2018 6:39:15 PM   
warspite1

Turn 125 - Axis Turn
26th November 1941

Hopefully the workings of the Malta Striking Force will greatly lessen supply - particularly oil - for Rommel. No? Oh okay

There were three bombardments this turn - a softening up of the Halfaya pass (with serious losses for CW artillery) followed by a bombardment of one of my recce units from the 2nd South African Division west of Sofafi.

Italian units have almost surrounded a second recce unit west of Bir Khamsa.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 512
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 2/25/2018 6:56:07 PM   
warspite1

Turn 125
26th November 1941

The area between Fort Capuzzo and Sofafi is in the Axis hands and so renders the Halfaya Pass totally untenable; with his huge number of artillery pieces, devoncop can simply pound the pass from north and west and I simply don't have the artillery available to hold the ground as mentioned before. He could easily set up something like this and simply grind my forces to dust through artillery and air power.

It looks like a general retreat will be needed.....The problem of course is that once the Axis are through the pass, there is nowhere to hold them.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/26/2018 7:36:45 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 513
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 2/26/2018 5:33:51 PM   
warspite1

Turn 126 - Axis + Commonwealth Turn
29th November 1941

In response to my pulling out of 'Hellfire Pass' the Axis - with the Italians in the van - follow hot on the heels. They also start to make their presence felt south and west of Sofafi. Only a couple of barrages are laid down, meaning more pain for the South African troops and their artillery pieces....

The poor South Africans suffer another entire battalion meltdown when they fail to get away from the Italians and are evaporated.... The 94th Heavy AA Regiment are about to be eaten up too having almost suffered the same fate.

The fall back continues - as the 1st South Africans fall back beyond Bug Buq, so the 2nd Division falls back toward Piccadilly Circus.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/26/2018 6:13:46 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 514
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 2/27/2018 4:27:29 PM   
warspite1

Turn 127 - Axis Turn
3rd December 1941

For goodness sake!!! What is the point of a Wellington bomber or a Beaufighter? I think I made a mistake last turn. I received a Wellington squadron, but left it at whatever status it was given upon arrival. Whatever, the program decided to send it into action whereupon it got immediately furballed.... I'll have to take that one on the chin because whatever it's status, I'm pretty sure I forgot to place it on rest.....

So what about the other engagements this turn:

2 - Italian motorised infantry, amply backed by artillery, attack a South African recce company which retreats after taking heavy loss.
4 - another company take even worse losses against elements of 5 divisions supported once again by the copious Axis artillery....
5,15 & 18 - three barrages are laid down against the Natal Caribinniers and the AA and AT units supporting them. The infantry battalion survives, but a heavy toll is taken on artillery pieces and rifle squads.
9 - another recce company is attacked and forced to retreat following an attack by motorised infantry
11 - another similar attack, with the recce forces retreating as designed, although serious casualties are taken in the process. At least 5 Italian rifle squads are destroyed too this time.
12 - a heavy bombardment is carried out against the 3rd Transvaal Battalion and the 87th Heavy AA Regiment. Damage is relatively light given that 14 artillery units were doing the firing.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/27/2018 5:41:51 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 515
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 2/27/2018 5:38:49 PM   
warspite1

Turn 127 - Axis Turn
3rd December 1941

1 - The Germans make their presence known, attacking a South African recce company. The South Africans are supported by three artillery regiments and for the first time the Axis forces receive a bit of a bloody nose before the South Africans retreat. 25 of 81 rifle and machine gun squads are destroyed and the Axis also lose some mortars and AT rifles....
3 - another recce company is destroyed but was once again supported by an artillery regiment while being destroyed. Italian losses are light, but I'll take anything right now....
6,10,14 + 17 - I can only assume that devoncops reconnaissance has let him down as four barrages were launched against a single battalion of infantry from the 1st Royals. The battalion is almost wiped out however....
7 - yet another retreating recce company. Once again it had support from an artillery regiment and some decent damage was done to the enemy - 16 rifle squads, 1 AT, 1 AA and 17 machine guns.
13 + 16 - the Free French Marines do a wonderful job of holding off superior forces east of Bir Khmasa. There is no retreat but they wont give up without a fight.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/27/2018 5:58:34 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 516
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 2/27/2018 6:29:34 PM   
warspite1

Turn 127
3rd December 1941

The big pull-back continues.....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 517
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 2/28/2018 3:44:35 AM   
warspite1

Turn 128
6th December 1941

A slightly quieter turn but still the Axis continue to turn the screw, keeping close tabs on the surviving battalions of the 1st South African Division.

1 - the Free French Marines go down fighting as promised - the last remaining 3 rifle/machine gun squads taking a couple of Italian rifle squads with them
2 - two more recce companies are evaporated by overwhelming Italian forces
3 and 6 - two bombardments of the 1/2 Field Force Bn. and the supporting 1st South African Anti-Tank and 87th Heavy AA regiments is ordered. The infantry remains in decent shape but the artillery units are all but shot
4 - a massive air and ground attack is launched against a company of Natal Mounted Rifles and the South Africans simply cease to exist
5 - another South African screen is destroyed for the loss of one Italian bomber
7 - 18 artillery units and what seems like half the Axis aircraft in the Western Desert attack the 1st Transvaal Bn. the Middellandse MG Bn. (which seems to have got lost as its part of 2nd Division), a company of armoured cars and the British 2nd Light AA regiment. Considering the fire-power employed, the losses are surprisingly light....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/28/2018 3:57:45 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 518
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 2/28/2018 4:01:41 AM   
warspite1

Turn 128
6th December 1941

I'm up to 28 squadrons, although 4 of these are reorganising and many of the Tomahawk and Hurricane squadrons are deficient in strength (note the three Tomahawk squadrons will receive no further replacements and its a real shame that squadrons can't be disbanded and aircraft parcelled out to keep squadrons at full strength). Add in the fact that other squadrons include an Albacore, a Greek Hurricane squadron that rarely gets out of the 50's in proficiency, a Wellington squadron that gets shot down first time every time it takes to the skies and a Gladiator squadron that, like the Tomahawk, is understrength and receives no replacements and well... you get the picture. Suffice to say I don't really have 28 squadrons

The pull back continues - sadly the 149th Anti-Tank Regiment of the 22nd Guards Brigade (yellow circle) was unable to get away and is stuck out in no mans land ready to be gobbled up. Which is great because what I could really do with is losing more anti-tank guns

My... ahem... forces hold a northwest-southeast line Sidi Barrani - Piccadilly Circus and from there they try and maintain the ridge heading east south of Charing Cross....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/28/2018 5:20:25 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 519
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/2/2018 4:23:18 AM   
warspite1

Turn 129
10th December 1941

It's clear the CW have a major problem in trying to stay in the game at this stage. In fact at the moment I am not sure how its possible. The Axis artillery can simply pummel anything that tries to make a stand without even needing to attack. I have been trying to retreat to ground where my forces are joined (for better protection) and will make an attack using artillery placed behind the front line.

Given what I've seen at Tobruk and Halfaya, I fear that all this will do will allow devoncop to slaughter the units that stand with his massive (and that is an understatement) artillery advantage. But I have to try something as otherwise at this rate I am going to be back in the Nile Delta with no more room to run anyway. It's not as though I'm playing for time while I will get stronger - the 7th Armoured disappears soon and the Kiwis not long after that. I've just lost the Poles and goodness knows what surprises the dodgy reinforcement table has in store.

This is supposed to be the time of Crusader when the Malta Striking Force causes Rommel major supply problems. If the Axis do have supply issues then I'm not seeing it. With the Germans seemingly unstoppable - and the worst still to come (Gazala 42) - with heavy heart and a massive sense of trepidation, I try and hit back....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/2/2018 4:44:10 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 520
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/2/2018 4:28:01 AM   
warspite1

Turn 129
10th December 1941

I manage to get the round completed and then try and withdraw troops as much as possible...

...now its a case of seeing what this attempt to hurt the Italians (few Germans anywhere to be seen in the frontline) has cost.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/2/2018 4:29:37 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 521
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/2/2018 4:35:50 AM   
warspite1

Turn 130 - Axis Turn
13th December 1941

Yep, as was to have been expected the remainder of the 1st South African Division decides to reorganise. I now have a pretty stark choice - try and save the division (and risk annihilation of my artillery and ground units) or leave the Saffers to their fate in order to run back further - and hope not too many units elsewhere (2nd South African and 4th Indian) are engaged and so unable to retreat too.

I will do an analysis of the losses and make a decision, but I can see from the picture already that the CW artillery is a mess (amber and red status) just as happened at Halfay after one turn of Axis bombardment.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/2/2018 6:17:05 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 522
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/2/2018 5:23:07 PM   
warspite1

Turn 130 - Axis Turn
13th December 1941

Well I've done the analysis and its..... as bad as expected.

1 - this is a bombardment south of Sidi Barrani. Losses are relatively light.
2 - more probing of the South African defences - this time in the south. Again losses are manageable in this on-off barrage.
3, 10, 15 + 19 - the Axis attempt to destroy my artillery. The heavy guns are hit with the British losing 7 60-pounders. Modest damage is done to the enemy by counter-battery fire.
4 - an Italian force attack a company of South Africans which are supported by the Royal Horse Artillery. The CW retreat but at least cost the Italians some pain, including 26 rifle squads (15 destroyed).
5, 8, 12, 14 + 17 - Sidi Barrani is obviously a key target. Over half the rifle squads in the South African battalion + one company are destroyed..... Despite the presence of an AA regiment, just one German bomber is destroyed.
6 - a South African recce company is forced to retreat.
7 - an air attack causes reasonably bad casualties but once again the presence of an AA regiment simply fails to trouble the attackers. I thought attacking units in this way was supposed to be costly?
9,18 + 20 - three attacks are carried out against the CW artillery and a battalion of South African infantry. The results are predictably punishing for the Allies, although they done manage some modest counter-battery fire results.
11 + 16 - a couple of desultory attacks by Italian artillery, which for once barely registers.
13 - another attack against the defensive perimeter - this time in the centre. 2 Axis bombers are lost but the AA units take a total battering - almost a third of the heavy AA guns are destroyed.....

As well as the likely loss of all remaining 1st South African Division infantry battalions, the last Axis turn alone cost the CW 54 artillery pieces (including 4 18-pdrs, 18 25-pdrs, 12 60-pdrs, 8 anti-tank guns and 12 AA guns). No less than 154 rifle/machine gun squads, 96 machine guns, 30 mortars, 155 trucks, 2 engineer squads and 12 soft-skin vehicles.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/2/2018 6:16:51 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 523
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/2/2018 6:29:39 PM   
warspite1

Turn 130
13th December 1941

I decide that I can't just abandon all those men and stick around. Sadly I fail a proficiency check before the last round - playing the Commonwealth is full of fun

Firstly I put the RN to sea (3 x BB, 2 x CL and 4 x DD). The task force is attacked by 131 aircraft and there is damage (4% total) to each of the 3 battleships. The good news is that 18 Ju-87 are lost (3 destroyed). The little task force continues on deploys off the coast near Buq Buq. A barrage is laid down that evaporates a Ju-87 squadron and 8 of another squadron of 21 are lost (2 destroyed). Another 6 (1 destroyed) is lost in a follow up bombardment. The flotilla then moves off Sollum and target the airfield at Fort Capuzzo - for some reason only two destroyers are able to fire? But over the next two bombardments the cost the Axis 44 aircraft (28 destroyed). Sadly the proficiency failure leaves them exposed on the enemy coast.

Along the line the few artillery regiments that are available to deploy cause modest damage to some Italian formations - just under 60 rifle squads are lost as well as light losses to some artillery.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/2/2018 7:14:43 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 524
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/2/2018 8:29:21 PM   
warspite1

Turn 131 - Axis Turn
17th December 1941

Here's a surprising development. The 1st South Africans are all but wiped out and the 2nd South Africans go into reorganisation mode in sympathy. Cool. Oh and XXX Corps assets have done the same....

1 - The one piece of good news is that a Ju-87 Squadron evaporated when attacking the fleet. Some of the attackers got through though because all three battleships are further damaged: HMS Barham 4%, HMS Valiant 4% and HMS Queen Elizabeth 3%
2 + 6 - 10 artillery regiments and 2 squadrons of bombers bombard Sidi Barrani causing widespread loss. Then, having softened up the defenders the remains of the 1st Transvaal, 1/2 Field Force, 89th Heavy AA Regiment and a recce company retreat. Axis losses in the attack are negligible.
7, 11, 12 + 13 - south of Sidi Barrani no less than 14 artillery regiments pound the defenders and in this one initial barrage, a 1/3 of the defending infantry are toast. Two more barrages are ordered, evaporating the British AA regiment and then an attack goes in that costs the enemy nothing and destroys the remains of the 3rd Transvaal Battalion.
8 + 15 - the enemy follow-up the capture of Sidi Barrani with an attack east. Once again the attack is just staggering in terms of the losses inflicted for very little loss themselves. Almost half the infantry squads are wiped out. The South African units that have already taken a pasting continue retreating but the 1st Bn. South Staffordshires hold. Instead of assaulting again, the Axis bombard the British infantry, reducing their strength to just 25 rifle squads....
14 - directly to the south a bombardment causes light damage to the British units posted there.
17 - an air attack is launched that costs modest losses, but the AA regiment fails to destroy a single Axis aircraft.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/2/2018 9:24:41 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 525
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/2/2018 9:33:29 PM   
warspite1

Turn 131 - Axis Turn
17th December 1941

3, 4 + 10 - another series of devastating barrages against the CW artillery. 22 AA and 13 AT guns, become 5 and 6 respectively....
5 + 9 - another battalion of infantry and support units suffer at the hands of the Italian artillery, which then allows elimination of the British AA and retreat of the South African 1st Rand Light Infantry and a recce company. Again the Italians barely take a casualty.
16 - no less than 14 artillery regiments are available to reduce the South African infantry, AA and anti-tank units. A quarter of the riflemen, a third of the AT guns and a quarter of the AA weapons will no longer be available...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/2/2018 9:43:03 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 526
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/2/2018 9:52:01 PM   
warspite1

Turn 131
17th December 1941

I order the Royal Navy task force off Sidi Barrani. They are opposed by swarms of enemy bombers but a weak Ju-87 squadron is evaporated (1 destroyed). I decide to reactivate the air force having got some reinforcements. 25 squadrons are now operational - 19 fighters and 6 bombers. The Axis have air superiority but only by 1.

16 (14 operational) Hurricane sqns - 375/384 aircraft - 3 in reserve - 6 replacements per turn 
5 (5 operational) Blenheim sqns - 120/120 aircraft - 91 in reserve - 3 replacements per turn 
3 (3 operational) Tomahawk sqns - 64/72 aircraft - 0 in reserve - 0 replacements per turn 
1 (0 operational) Albacore sqn - 8/10 aircraft - 0 in reserve - 0 replacements per turn 
1 (0 operational) Beaufighter sqn - 24/24 aircraft - 17 in reserve - 1 replacement per turn 
1 (1 operational) Gladiator sqn - 19/24 aircraft - 0 in reserve - 0 replacement per turn 
2 (0 operational) Wellington sqn - 48/48 aircraft - 55 in reserve - 2 replacements per turn 
3 (1 operational) Kittyhawk sqn - 69/72 aircraft - 75 in reserve - 4 replacements per turn
1 (1 Operational) Boston sqn - 24/24 aircraft - 19 in reserve - 1 replacement per turn

With the 2nd South African going nowhere, I straighten my lines in the north and set about limited bombardments - perhaps the most important of which is against the bulge in the line in the southwest corner east of Bir Emba.... I try and shore up the position with a British battalion from 70th Division and hope....

I didn't take a picture of the combat results but I was able this time to avoid failing a proficiency check and so got the max five rounds in. It looks like a few infantry units were evaporated - although I don't know the type - i.e. battalion or company.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/3/2018 5:05:33 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 527
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 12:08:03 PM   
warspite1

Turn 132 - Axis Turn
20th December 1941

Once again its carnage for the CW.

1 + 8 - the Axis use artillery to attack the RN ships close to shore. 1% damage is done to each of Arethusa, Bedouin and Lance.
2 + 13 - the Axis continue to lay into the CW artillery but on this occasion the CW give some sensible return fire - and the Axis lose 8 field guns to 1 South African 25-pdr.
3 + 15 - the Axis only use 4 artillery regiments for the initial barrage- but this rips into the British infantry. The second barrage is almost as painful for the poor footsloggers. The Axis bring in 19 bombers and 17 biplane fighters and lose 5 aircraft (just 1 destroyed), while the more modern - and equally numerous) Hurricane fighters suffer 3 losses (also 1 destroyed).
4, 7 + 9 - two massive bombardments/air strikes are mounted against the centre of the CW line followed by an attack that destroys a South African battalion, an anti-tank regiment and an AA regiment. These units won't be reconstituted either.... These series of actions also see heavy air battles and once again it can be no surprise to see who comes off worse - although happily it wasn't as bad as the initial air engagement suggested it was going to be - the CW losing 121 fighters (30 destroyed) and 7 bombers (1 destroyed) and the Axis losing 118 aircraft (27 destroyed).
5 + 14 - two barrages are aimed at British units just south of the coastal road. The losses are bad but light compared to some of the devastation going on.
6 + 10 - another South African battalion, that won't be coming back, is lost. The initial bombardment was relatively light but the attack sees the battalion evaporate. 77 fighters and 24 bombers tried to assist the troops but 19 are lost (6 destroyed). The only slightly good news was that the Axis air force lost 23 aircraft (but only 5 destroyed). This is a massively disappointing outcome as the Axis fighters were out numbered and less than half were 109's.
11 + 12 - two bombardments of different hexes with more thinning out of the CW troops.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/3/2018 1:19:24 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 528
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 1:23:56 PM   
warspite1

Turn 132
20th December 1941

The Valiant and Queen Elizabeth are withdrawn. I have not yet surveyed the wreckage (particularly of my air forces) of that last turn but there is simply no point standing around as there is only one way this ends up. Equally there is no point withdrawing as units will just get destroyed when failing to disengage and none of this will stop the bombardments that will resume immediately.

So regardless of what I'm about to uncover, I'm going on the offensive. Now all I need is some units to be offensive with and no proficiency failures please

The first thing I do is undertake some reconnaissance using my Czech companies. I see that devoncop is massing at least some of his German forces to the south of the ridge. As ever, the price of such reconnaissance is the loss of the units as two of the three are engaged as they try and retreat....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/3/2018 1:38:02 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 529
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 1:55:22 PM   
warspite1

Turn 132
20th December 1941

The next thing I do is review my aircraft. Ordinarily I would try and spare any units that are weak or who have less than great proficiency or readiness. But desperate times and all that. So unless the squadron is reorganising, they are flying. This gives me:

Fighter squadrons
18 Operational
6 Reorganising

Bombers
9 Operational

Unfortunately I can't use all the nearest airfields as those reorganising are utilising some of the forward bases. I just get as close as I can.

I can't afford to throw everything at this as I suspect it will prove to be a total failure. I keep the 2nd Armoured Division and 22nd Armoured Brigade in reserve and use the 7th Armoured and 1st Army Tank Brigade as the armoured force to hopefully batter the Italian lines.

Because of the danger of a failed proficiency I can't afford to spend much time on barrages. I look to the skies and order round 1 of strikes along the line.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/3/2018 2:34:56 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 530
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 3:02:51 PM   
warspite1

Turn 132
20th December 1941

I survive the 1st Round and decide to order 5 attacks.

8 - as usual the CW losses are very concerning, with a third of the rifle divisions employed being put out of action, in addition to large numbers of mortars, machine guns, soft-skinned vehicles and even a couple of tanks. No breakthrough is made.
10 - switching to the north, southeast of Sidi Barrani, another costly attack is launched and although a battalion of Trento Bersaglieri retreat, their Bologna counterparts hold firm.
11 - one hex to the south the CW finally make a breakthrough. The Bologna battalion does not follow the example of its comrades and retreats, leaving a German battalion from the 90th Light Division to hold until wiped out. 66 fighters from the Luftwaffe and Regia Aeronautica try and assist but 28 aircraft are lost (7 destroyed) when they come up against 355 CW aircraft. Once again its the Hurricanes that take a battering and despite the massive superiority in numbers 30 aircraft are lost (3 destroyed).
12 - the air war is descending into a farce. Just 22 Italian aircraft try and defend the Axis position. 300 Allied aircraft fly. The Italians lose 7 aircraft (1 destroyed) but the CW somehow manage to lose 16 (6 destroyed). How the hell is that even remotely possible? All those aircraft - including around 100 bombers - and the Axis ground losses are not appreciably higher than the CW.....
13 - the final attack is more of the same. No aircraft involved this time but in retreating, the Axis forces lose just 41 rifle squads, 17 machine guns, 7 mortars and 2 tankettes. The CW lose 112 rifle squads, 81 machine guns, 19! anti-tank guns, 18 mortars, 80 trucks and 6 tanks...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/3/2018 3:29:16 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 531
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 3:49:09 PM   
warspite1

Turn 132
20th December 1941

Having survived Round 3 I decide there is no mileage in not pressing on. Unless I can hurt his artillery line I am effectively toast.

14 + 20 - there is an initial modest barrage south of Sidi Barrani. The engagement in (20) I am not sure how to describe - other than I believe an Italian tank battalion tried to get back into Sidi and was engaged by other CW units and destroyed.
15 - Although hit by counter-fire and losing 3 25-pdrs this barrage two hexes to the south of Sidi Barrani was good as I actually destroyed 4 field guns, 1 AA gus and even an anti-tank weapon. Not much but better than anything else I've achieved
16 - the Royal Navy bombard an artillery position, destroying 20 field guns, all above 75mm.
17 - a fairly inconsequential barrage by three South African artillery regiments.
18 - this hex is proving impossibly difficult - and costly. The defenders probably didn't even register I was attacking....
19 - (see 20 above). This was the largely infantry attack on Sidi Barrani that saw an Italian tank battalion retreat. It (or a comrade) then tried to get back in in a subsequent round and was engaged and destroyed. Although the combat results table show Neither for possession, the CW have re-taken Sidi Barrani.... at least temporarily.
21 - the remaining ships of the RN bombard an artillery park southwest of Sidi Barrani. 22 large field guns are destroyed and 2 AA guns. I even evaporated a second tank battalion.
22 - yet another appallingly expensive attack for the CW....8 tanks destroyed in the process.
23 - more inexplicable stuff going on. The CW retreat the Axis forces at huge cost once again, but just 25 fighters - half of which are Italian - intercept 116 bombers, escorted by 202 fighters. The result? Naturally the CW lose 22 aircraft (7 destroyed) while the Axis lose 10 aircraft (3 destroyed). Perhaps some of the 318 allied aircraft collided with each other....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/3/2018 4:32:38 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 532
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 5:07:13 PM   
DanNeely

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Turn 132
20th December 1941

its the Hurricanes that take a battering and despite the massive superiority in numbers 30 aircraft are lost (3 destroyed).
12 - the air war is descending into a farce. Just 22 Italian aircraft try and defend the Axis position. 300 Allied aircraft fly. The Italians lose 7 aircraft (1 destroyed) but the CW somehow manage to lose 16 (6 destroyed). How the hell is that even remotely possible? All those aircraft - including around 100 bombers - and the Axis ground losses are not appreciably higher than the CW.....

quote:

Turn 132
20th December 1941

23 - more inexplicable stuff going on. The CW retreat the Axis forces at huge cost once again, but just 25 fighters - half of which are Italian - intercept 116 bombers, escorted by 202 fighters. The result? Naturally the CW lose 22 aircraft (7 destroyed) while the Axis lose 10 aircraft (3 destroyed). Perhaps some of the 318 allied aircraft collided with each other....

I'm wondering if a lot of your losses here are from ground fire. What do the Italians have on hand for AA? Dedicated AA guns, or just infantry machineguns?

Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 533
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 5:09:34 PM   
warspite1

Turn 132
20th December 1941

Great, I failed a proficiency check and can't do the usual checks on what happened in that last round. I really needed that last round. Oh well, suffice to say that unless a large part of the Italian forces decide to reorganise them I'm stuffed.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 534
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/3/2018 5:11:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanNeely

quote:

Turn 132
20th December 1941

its the Hurricanes that take a battering and despite the massive superiority in numbers 30 aircraft are lost (3 destroyed).

quote:

Turn 132
20th December 1941

I'm wondering if a lot of your losses here are from ground fire. What do the Italians have on hand for AA? Dedicated AA guns, or just infantry machineguns?
warspite1

Well even if it was AA (and I don't think it is) then these are not German units. I can't check now as the turn is back with devoncop.

Edit: Just one thing to add. The majority of losses are fighters anyway.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/3/2018 6:26:32 PM >

(in reply to DanNeely)
Post #: 535
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/4/2018 7:13:16 AM   
warspite1

Turn 133 - Axis Turn (looked at in real time)
24th December 1941

For the first time I'm looking at the Axis rerun of their turn on a 1 step at a time basis. It takes a long time and involves a lot of clicks, but there is an amazing amount of detail that perhaps is missed when the program whizzes through at normal speed.

1,254 moves in and so far I've seen more artillery moving up to the front (German too....) along with aircraft, and the poor Czechs have been evaporated as expected. A German unit has also been probing my defences to the east.....

Huge losses being taken as the Axis fight back... and Sidi Barrani is recaptured.

Heavy duty German and Italian units moving on my southern front - AT, Field Artillery, Engineers...

I think I must have done some damage as a lot of units on the 'western' front south of Sidi Barrani have retreated (I was hoping at least some of devoncops units would have been reorganising - but the Italians appear more robust than the CW). Question now is does he have plans to replace and attack?

More major barrages being laid down - more CW units simply evaporating... So many units - the 2nd South African HQ evaporates too as does a whole battalion of the 22nd Guards Brigade. I will shortly have no frontline left at this rate...

The 2nd Scots Guards Battalion evaporates now and panzers are moving forward in the southwest corner of what was once a defensive line.

Now the real bombardment starts....

Well that was really uncomfortable viewing. Goodness knows what I'll have left when I click the button - but I think its safe to say there will be a lot of reorganisation going on - if indeed there are any units to reorganise...

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/4/2018 7:36:02 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 536
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/4/2018 8:03:22 AM   
warspite1

Turn 133 - Axis Turn
24th December 1941

1 + 10 - a small scale bombardment is carried out, causing light losses but this is followed by a massive assault that wipes out the 2nd Scots Guards Bn. and forces the 4th Royal Tank Regiment into retreat having lost 8 of its 47 Matildas. The attacking infantry lose a similar number of infantry squads, but apart from 1 tank, they lose practically no heavy weapons in the assault - unlike the CW. I've given up with the nonsense in the sky and just accept that in any and all conditions the CW lose. The Axis brought 55 fighters to the battle (less than half Me-109's), losing 11 (just 1 destroyed) while the CW had 59 fighters and 18 bombers. The CW lose 15 aircraft (of which 7 are destroyed - the majority (5) are Hurricanes).
2 - an infantry only attack is launched without the need for a preparatory bombardment. The 7th Armoured's anti-tank regiment evaporates and the 1st Buffs Bn. retreats with heavy losses. The enemy losses are relatively light and once again take no real pain in terns of heavy weapons loss.
3, 6, 8, 12 + 16 - the Commonwealth have a major issue with proficiency check. The loss of the last round meant I had two overly large stacks and one of these was pounded mercilessly. Two units evaporated - the 2nd South African Division HQ and the 14th Light AA Regiment, and losses were just colossal amongst the surviving units 41/45 rifle squads lost, 39/41 machine guns, all 3 AA guns, 4/6 mortars, 70/72 trucks, 45/241 tanks, all engineer/command squads... but hey there is always some good news right? only 23/107 soft skinned vehicles were destroyed
4 - Sidi Barrani was recaptured, with the 13th Light AA Regiment and the 1st South African machine gun battalion evaporating and the 2nd Royal Tank Regiment retreating with the loss of 18 tanks. Once again in terms of actual numbers, the enemy losses were similar to the CW - perhaps slightly higher. In the air the Axis brought in 76 bombers escorted by 186 fighters, 43 of which were 109's and 83 of which were Italian biplanes. The Commonwealth brought 102 fighter aircraft. The Axis lost 39 aircraft (but only 11 were destroyed), while CW losses were 29 (15 destroyed - and the Hurricanes losses heaviest).
5 - a single bombardment from 5 artillery regiments that cost reasonably heavy losses to the infantry defending.
7 - a bombardment of the rear area where the CW artillery is concentrated. 14 artillery regiments and 60 bombers (escorted by 90 fighters) fire off their ordinance, causing destruction to over half the 63 25-pounders and 6 4.5-inch howitzers. Just two enemy field guns are lost in the counter-battery fire. 82 Commonwealth fighters fly in defence. 18 CW fighters are lost (but in a rare occurrence only 1 is lost). The Axis actually suffer 34 losses (and 12 of these are destroyed)! I'm going to have a lie-down...
9 + 14 - two bombardments take place. In the first the remaining infantry of the Buffs battalion are evaporated as 9 artillery regiments open up. The losses to the artillery are pretty standard 27/44 25 pounders and 7/11 18-pounders are lost. 8 enemy artillery pieces are lost. In the second barrage 17 artillery pound the position and the CW artillery practically ceases to exist. The enemy take no counter fire whatsoever.
11 + 15 - 4 battalions of infantry are targeted by 19 artillery regiments. The British started with 119 rifle and machine guns squads - they now have 82 and there are heavy losses of machine guns and mortars.
13 + 17 - a mixed force of infantry and tanks defending receive the usual treatment from 23 artillery regiments (the first barrage was only 9) with the usual thinning out of troops and equipment....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/4/2018 9:18:47 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 537
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/4/2018 9:25:06 AM   
warspite1

Turn 133
24th December 1941

Where do I even start with this? On a good day the CW can get may be 3-5 artillery units to bombard. The enemy regularly calls up 4, 5 and even 6 times that number.

But I can't get even close to his artillery line. If I try and fall back now I have exactly the same issues as before. Do I go for broke and try and bring the Kiwis into play? I think I'm going to have to - even though I know devoncop has panzer forces in this area - because otherwise its just a slow (or not so slow) bleeding to death of my forces.

Royal Navy

With the withdrawal of 2 battleships and the third withdrawing next turn, the effectiveness - and chances of survival - of the remaining RN forces is much reduced.

Royal Air Force and Allied air forces

The squadron strength is now nominally up to 34. 4 of these are reorganising and no less than 15 have been placed on rest. The state of some of the Hurricane squadrons is pitiful. This leaves 15 operational squadrons (11 fighter and 4 bomber) - two of which I am taking a bit of a chance on, but they are my rear-most based squadrons so hopefully won't get into too much trouble. The good news is that my forward bases are largely reorganising-free and so I have 3 fighters in each of Zawyet Shammus, Sidi Barrani and Gerawla. According to the air box, I still have air superiority (although I had that for the last couple of turns and didn't seem to be reflected in the combat results)

Pre-Round 1

I send out three companies of infantry to explore the enemy dispositions around Bir el Gellaz. This evidences a screen with some powerful units - no doubt shielding the Afrika Korps.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/4/2018 10:29:22 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 538
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/4/2018 10:56:50 AM   
warspite1

Turn 133
24th December 1941

I throw all available reserves into this operation. The 1st Armoured Division (which is designated to replace the 7th Armoured) is sent to this area of operations as a reserve - it has not movement left and will take no part in this battle.

The loss of the 3rd Motor Brigade to reorganisation is unwelcome but I proceed. 22nd Armoured Brigade and two brigades of the 2nd New Zealand Division are to mount the operation (the third brigade acts as a reserve).

The aim of the operation depends on what exactly the Axis have in this area - intelligence provides me with nothing - but at the very least I hope it is successful enough to relieve the pressure in the western end of the line.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/4/2018 11:17:28 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 539
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 3/4/2018 11:24:30 AM   
warspite1

Turn 133
24th December 1941

This brings me back to the horror show that is the western front. I really want to stick around and try and force the issue but there are not enough units to do this.

I decide to try and hold the line even though this means I will be on the receiving end of another bombardment from hell (it won't be much less even if I successfully disengaged from the front (and that is unlikely - at least with all units)).

A - An attack led by the 2nd Hussars, with the 4/16 Punjab Bn, in support, destroys a Bersaglieri company and pushes a second back. Losses are light.
B - To the southeast, I avoid attacking across an escarpment by utilising the City of London Yeomanry Regiment and the 28th Maori Battalion directly north. The third company of Bersaglieri and a battalion from the Sabratha Division are forced to retreat. Again losses are relatively light.
C - two battalion of the Kiwi Division take the lead on the enemy position directly south. A German Oasis company and an Italian reconnaissance unit are forced to retreat. Annoyingly 3 tanks are lost but not really sure what the enemy had to cause that....
E,F + G - Three RBC attacks then take place, pushing the enemy back further.

I had expected to see the main enemy forces by now....

D - was a optimistic attack against a couple of weak enemy units. The forecast was excellent but the enemy brought in reinforcements and suffered the loss of just 1 rifle squad and a truck, while the Indians lost 9 rifle squads, 7 machine guns and 4 mortars...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/4/2018 12:20:21 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI