Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Device damage values

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Device damage values Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Device damage values - 3/6/2018 1:14:16 PM   
RichardAckermann

I have a bit of trouble finding out how much damage some devices actually do to ships.

The MK 14 has a warhead os 292 Kg explosives, the 800 Kg bomb has 22 or 36 Kg explosives, but does more effect.
The 40cm naval gun shells had 15 Kg explosives for AP shells and 44 Kg for HE, but outperform the Mark 14 in effect rating.

Are the values for the devices explosive load that I found wrong, or how is it less explosives do more damage in the game?
Any idea or knowledge on how the game engine does apply those effect ratings?
Post #: 1
RE: Device damage values - 3/6/2018 1:26:20 PM   
Yaab

I think Effect value is linked to weapon's penetration of forts/armor.

(in reply to RichardAckermann)
Post #: 2
RE: Device damage values - 3/7/2018 10:34:59 AM   
Dili

The effect value is supposedly linked to explosive power - the damage that makes after penetration or if cannot penetrate(i suppose in this case a much less damage capability). I think land combat only uses anti-soft and anti-armor values.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 3
RE: Device damage values - 3/7/2018 4:12:36 PM   
RichardAckermann

For naval guns, the effect rating seems equal to the shell or projectile "weight", not the explosive load.
I wonder if naval gun effect is only for supply cost purposes.
A 40cm shell from BB Nagato doing around twice the explosive power of a long lance torpedo seems odd.
Has it ever been disclosed how the actual damage from device to ship is calculated?

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 4
RE: Device damage values - 3/7/2018 7:17:47 PM   
cardas

Don't think the developers has said much about how damage is done to ships. I don't think it's sensible to make 1:1 comparison between different device types despite using the same value fields though, a torpedo with an effect value of 100 may very well do more damage than a bomb or naval gun with an effect value of 500. As always you'd have to test it to know for sure.

Also database values would presumably be used in a "makes sense for the algorithms to produce the results wanted by the developer" (hopefully) rather than "makes sense when comparing different weapons or different devices for an outsider". I'd agree that it's a pretty opaque system which leaves you scratching your head sometimes. As you said naval gun Effect is simply projectile weight while torpedoes use warhead weight instead.

Rearm cost does use the Effect value for guns while torpedoes use Load Cost instead, but I would be very surprised if it isn't used for ship damage calculations as well. I suspect the Anti-Soft and Anti-Armor fields are only relevant in interactions with ground units and probably has no impact in naval or air combat therefore Effect on naval guns pretty much have to impact the damage they do against naval targets. Ultimately just a guess from my side though.

Post #: 5
RE: Device damage values - 3/7/2018 11:14:28 PM   
el cid again

RHS distinguishes between HE and AP (or SAP) bombs and shells. This is done on a platform basis.
Thus a major warship is assumed to fire AP UNLESS it is a dedicated gunfire support ship (as some
old battleships were). Artillery is assumed to use HE. Aircraft are defined by type - you often
have the same plane with a different loadout - and this is indicated by the name of the aircraft.
Yes - aircraft can have different weapons for different targets. But in RHS there also are dedicated
aircraft for delivering certain weapons - AP in particular.

As a rule, HE has more effect but less armor penetration value.

Some guns are AP, others are not. For example, the older 37 mm guns are WWI "trench guns" - not anti-tank guns.
They do not have AP shells nor long enough barrels to achieve the typical 900 m/sec (or greater) velocity of AP shells.
So they are rated as HE shells.

Post #: 6
RE: Device damage values - 3/19/2018 11:40:36 AM   
inqistor

I vaguely recall, that effect is simply weight of explosive material in lb. But that was few years ago, when I actually checked those values.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Device damage values Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI