Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tankhead' Computer "#%%#%@$E@$ "

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Tankhead' Computer "#%%#%@$E@$ " Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tankhead' Computer "#%%#%@$E@$ " - 6/5/2001 1:22:00 PM   
Bonzo

Tankhead asked me to post the following message from him: "I've had a major Windows registry explosion & it does not look good. I will try a few more things, but it does not look good & I'll probably have to wipe the drive & reinstall windows from scratch. :eek: I hope to be back up & running in a few days. My website is OK, but if you sent me anything and it is not on the website now, I've probably lost it. I have probably lost all my e-mail addresses as well. :( I'll post a note when I'm back up & running & hopefully you can resend me the things I've lost. Please do not send me e-mail right now as my system may have some glitches until I can redownload some drivers & may lose some data before the system is stable."

Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://www.nwbattalion.com E-mail
Post #: 1
- 6/5/2001 6:02:00 PM   
Warrior

WHOA! Bad luck for Tankhead. He probably knows, but Start/Run/SFC (the System File Checker) can often pinpoint and replace corrupted files. Tell Tankhead to try that before he does anything more radical.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Bonzo)
Post #: 2
- 6/5/2001 6:54:00 PM   
tracer

If he's running Win98, and his crash is due to a bad registry, remind him that he can restore to a previous version. Win98 backs up the registry once a day and stores the last five. Boot to a real DOS prompt (hold down F8 while starting and pick 'safe command prompt'), then type SCANREG at the c: prompt. Hit 'start' on the first screen then hit 'view backups'...you'll be able to scroll thru a list of available backups (by dates) and choose one. Be careful using this too many times: when you restore a registry copy Windoze writes over the oldest one on the list with the one you're replacing. I used this once myself and it worked as advertised. Hope he gets this before he scrubs his HD!

Jim NSB

(in reply to Bonzo)
Post #: 3
- 6/5/2001 8:17:00 PM   
Bonzo

Thanks for the tips, but do not know if they will work. System won't even open windows in safe mode or DOS mode from the hard-drive & Scanreg locks up after a few seconds. Trying to boot directly to the Win98 CD gets a DOS prompt, but running SETUP to reinstall over Windows locks up once it gets to the scanreg stage. He has been able to do some work at the DOS prompt, but the system cannot communicate with his zipdisk, leaving him with no viable method to back up some large files he recently downloaded. I've gotten a hold of him & passed these ideas on. Thanks folks. He did want to say that the error message said something about VKD not being able to initiate due to not being able to allocate memory. [ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: Bonzo ] [ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: Bonzo ]

Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://www.nwbattalion.com E-mail

(in reply to Bonzo)
Post #: 4
- 6/5/2001 11:40:00 PM   
Warrior

Were I him, I'd run a virus scan.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Bonzo)
Post #: 5
- 6/6/2001 12:37:00 AM   
Voriax

There exists a number of free- and shareware programs that repair registry problems. Try www.winfiles.com for them. I believe that some of these programs can be run from a DOS prompt and from a floppy. I've survived a few registry related problems with the help of Winrescue95..but they weren't as bad as Tankhead's problems. At least I was able to keep windoze up for a few minutes... Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Bonzo)
Post #: 6
- 6/6/2001 1:42:00 AM   
Bonzo

Thanks for the help folks. Tankhead has managed to get back into windows. It looks like a his hard drive developed a bad cluster at the location of his registry. He managed to recover an old registry & has not lost any data, so please do not resend any scenarios or heroes, as his dial up connection is very slow under the best of conditions. He should be back on line shortly.

(in reply to Bonzo)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Tankhead' Computer "#%%#%@$E@$ " Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI