Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Beta - Arawe 1943

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Beta - Arawe 1943 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Beta - Arawe 1943 - 3/11/2018 10:39:35 PM   
NickD

This beta scenario covers the obscure Battle of Arawe which took place on the south coast of New Britain Island in the South West Pacific from mid-December 1943 to mid-January 1944.

The operation was undertaken by the United States to divert Japanese forces away from the main landing on the island, which was undertaken by US Marines at Cape Gloucester on 26 December. It succeeded in this goal, with two Japanese battalions being deployed against the same number of American units.

The scenario includes some interesting features:
*It depicts the US Army's unusual dismounted cavalry organisation, with the 112th Cavalry Regiment which made the attack at Arawe having two battalions rather than the usual three, and those being somewhat smaller than the standard infantry battalion.
*It also covers one of the few operations of this phase of World War II in which the US Army didn't enjoy a major advantage in air and naval support: as Arawe was always a diversionary operation, priority was given to Cape Gloucester and other offensives.
*US theatre reconnaissance is set to 0, forcing the player to undertake patrols.
*The scenario is somewhat slow paced, with a lengthy period after the initial landings in which the player needs to establish defences and patrol in search of the Japanese forces.
*By the time the main Japanese forces show up, the American units will probably be worn down by a lack of supplies and the effects of tropical disease. As a result, the player needs to manage their forces carefully, and will probably need to bring in reinforcements.

I'd appreciate any and all comments on this beta version ahead of the final version being released.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Beta - Arawe 1943 - 3/13/2018 4:09:15 AM   
Nicholas Bell

Unfortunately it keeps crashing to desktop when the 2nd Japanese turn commences, ie after the US landing and attack inland. I restarted and it did it again...

The rocket ship disappears on turn 2, but there's nothing for it to bombard on turn one, unless you mean for the player to merely blindly bombard the landing hex? Obviously there was pre-landing aerial recon performed which might give the player a clue.

Looks good, but can't help further obviously. Not had a problem with other scenarios crashing. I didn't do any theatre options, just boarded and moved the 2 stacks to the main beaches and moved the ships a little closer. Turn 2 the US was able to attack 4 times using the remaining naval unit and the B-25 in support. When I ran out of rounds it commenced the Japanese turn and then crashed.

(in reply to NickD)
Post #: 2
RE: Beta - Arawe 1943 - 3/13/2018 8:02:21 AM   
NickD

Thanks for trying the scenario, and I'm sorry it didn't work properly.

This bug is odd. After I expanded the map and added some Japanese air units the scenario crashed on loading for me. Ever since I've removed both (I think it was the air units, for some reason) it's worked fine for me. Is anyone else having this problem?

(in reply to Nicholas Bell)
Post #: 3
RE: Beta - Arawe 1943 - 3/13/2018 10:37:06 AM   
piotre

Yes, same here.
CTD at the end of US turn 2, before the beginning of Japanese turn 2.

Also, the US air units in New Guinea are unsupplied.

(in reply to NickD)
Post #: 4
RE: Beta - Arawe 1943 - 3/13/2018 4:00:22 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: NickD

Thanks for trying the scenario, and I'm sorry it didn't work properly.

This bug is odd. After I expanded the map and added some Japanese air units the scenario crashed on loading for me. Ever since I've removed both (I think it was the air units, for some reason) it's worked fine for me. Is anyone else having this problem?

Nick

I do wonder, what version of TOAW IV are you using? The latest available patch I take it? I checked the scenario as well and, well... no joy. In fact, it crashed right after I execute the 1st US turn.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to NickD)
Post #: 5
RE: Beta - Arawe 1943 - 3/14/2018 7:50:10 AM   
NickD

That really is very strange - sorry everyone. I'm using TOAW version 4.0.1.23.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 6
RE: Beta - Arawe 1943 - 3/14/2018 3:26:54 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: NickD

That really is very strange - sorry everyone. I'm using TOAW version 4.0.1.23.

Nick

you mentioned the issues started after you modified your map. Any chance you got the original map as a backup or .MAL file? What about the OOB, did you save that separately, too?

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to NickD)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Beta - Arawe 1943 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI