Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: T39

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: T39 Page: <<   < prev  13 14 15 16 [17]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: T39 - 1/19/2018 12:50:19 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: lastkozak

It would seem that the "run away" strategy does not work very well! I would have thought that it would have led to very poor supply conditions for the Germans, leaving them with little option but to retreat back to better supply, or die in the Russian winter under the treads of the T34!

Actually it did do just that - just not by enough. I guess there is a more moderate runaway strategy that could have succeeded?

(in reply to lastkozak)
Post #: 481
RE: T39 - 1/19/2018 1:43:51 PM   
Nix77

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: lastkozak

It would seem that the "run away" strategy does not work very well! I would have thought that it would have led to very poor supply conditions for the Germans, leaving them with little option but to retreat back to better supply, or die in the Russian winter under the treads of the T34!

Actually it did do just that - just not by enough. I guess there is a more moderate runaway strategy that could have succeeded?

I was about to respond exactly the same way. Running away fast becomes a lucrative option once you've been on the receiving end of the big pointy German stick, but it's really difficult to measure where to make stands and where to retreat and how far.

Below is an example where Grognard might have retained more land with less hasty retreat, there's a lot of good defensible terrain that is just lost for nothing. On the other hand, Tyronec's panzerball is quite intimidating there in the middle, isn't it? But see this quote on the next turn:

quote:

AGC. My infantry can barely keep up with the retreating Soviets. We make a little attack with one Pz corps so that the river line is effectively breached for next turn.

Retreating is usually a good idea as the Soviets, but 60+ miles, with rivers left behind? Not so much, I'd say.

Grognard did an excellent job though! With just a few less miles retreated...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 482
RE: T39 - 1/20/2018 9:20:48 AM   
Dinglir

Congratulations to both players for a good game.

Many players simply abandon the game once it begins going badly. I admire Grognard for sticking it out as long as hope remained, and I am sure both sides have learned a lot.

To be is to do -- Socrates
To do is to be -- Jean-Paul Sartre
Do be do be do -- Frank Sinatra

(in reply to lastkozak)
Post #: 483
Soviet player - 1/22/2018 1:48:33 AM   
Grognard1812

I wish to congratulate Tyronec on his win and on a game well played by him.

Hindsight being 20/20 (which it always is) the biggest error I did in this game was not better defending Moscow.
Moscow with 2 light urban hexes, 1 heavy urban hex, and +5 for a capital city is worth 16 VP, and is the key
city to hold in a Sudden death or VC 260 campaign game. I should have defended Voronezh and Rostov (each worth
3 VP) with fewer forces and sent the majority of the Soviet army to the Moscow area. The game ended with Tyronec
having 243 VP, and I was 2 VP short of preventing a sudden death campaign game loss.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 484
RE: Soviet player - 1/22/2018 2:19:45 AM   
Grognard1812

The following screenshot is from the last Soviet GT, as the game ended on GT 42.

Even though I lost 60 Heavy Industry factories, and 110 Arnaments factories there was no apparent impact on the
ability of the Soviets army to equip their units and I ended the game with a small Arnaments surplus. On the last
turn of March 1942 the Soviet army was receiving 85,880 manpower per turn.

Clearly the strategy of retreating quickly and saving the Soviet army for a winter counter-offensive is not
effective when playing a Sudden death campaign game. I still believe that in a standard campaign game
it could be an effective way to play as a Soviet player when playing against a very experienced and capable Axis
player.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Grognard1812)
Post #: 485
RE: Soviet player - 1/22/2018 8:16:19 AM   
Stelteck

Even if the runaway strategy was working, i would not advocate playing it because it is not the most fun strategy ever for both side.

< Message edited by Stelteck -- 1/22/2018 8:17:01 AM >

(in reply to Grognard1812)
Post #: 486
RE: Soviet player - 1/22/2018 10:26:29 AM   
tyronec

quote:

Hindsight being 20/20 (which it always is) the biggest error I did in this game was not better defending Moscow.
Moscow with 2 light urban hexes, 1 heavy urban hex, and +5 for a capital city is worth 16 VP, and is the key
city to hold in a Sudden death or VC 260 campaign game.

I don't think it is possible to hold Moscow if the Soviets do a rapid retreat for the first 8 or so turns. The problem is Axis can take Leningrad early and will be able to redeploy PG4 to the centre so around GT10 the Soviets will be facing some 3 Panzer armies and 3 infantry armies attacking towards Moscow. Usually I would send 1 corps of PG3 and the whole of 2nd Army to support AGN and still have a good attack towards Moscow.
The Soviets just cannot stand up to that much strength in '41, all they can do is hold it up for a few turns and to retain Moscow they need more space to play with.

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 487
RE: Soviet player - 1/22/2018 3:49:08 PM   
chaos45

personally I dont think the soviets can lose Moscow and still win the game in the current versions of the game....its to much lost manpower and a huge defensive/morale wintering bonus for the germans in first winter.

Soviet manpower levels were lowered in the past and now the soviets are usually on a very tight manpower budget until probably around like early 1944 if the axis player is any good, and whats really funny is manpower is more of an issue for Soviets than it is for the Axis until that point---which is very un-historical....again alot of this has to do with the combat system in the game being extremely flawed and basically irreparable from what I have been told.

Aside from bug fixes the game system prolly cant be tweaked alot more to get a more realistic results until WITE 2 is released as my understanding is it is using much better combat models for losses and results.

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 488
RE: Soviet player - 2/4/2018 9:52:40 PM   
Twigster

I called this one!

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 489
RE: Soviet player - 3/16/2018 1:34:13 PM   
nathangun

Just read this from start to finish, I'm new to the game and I've a lot to learn.
Very entertaining AAR.

(in reply to Twigster)
Post #: 490
RE: Soviet player - 3/24/2018 1:29:02 AM   
56ajax

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

Even if the runaway strategy was working, i would not advocate playing it because it is not the most fun strategy ever for both side.

Totally agree - the game is not much fun for both sides at the same time. I assume Soviet fun comes in 1943 but by then my frustrations are so high I usually don't get that far.

Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 491
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 15 16 [17]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: T39 Page: <<   < prev  13 14 15 16 [17]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI