Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mine Countermeasures

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mine Countermeasures Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mine Countermeasures - 3/16/2018 5:03:04 PM   
jmarso

What have you guys found that works best for MCM missions?

In the past, typically in a scenario like Brass Drum when I want to transit the strait, I'll set up a very narrow corridor using locked reference points and send the MCM helos in ahead of the first poor unfortunate of a surface ship that leads the charge as guinea pig. The ships that follow do so line astern, keeping as close to the track of the first as possible. They creep along, all sensors on active, and yet it still seems I get hammered by mines on a routine basis.

MCM was not my warfare specialty. Am I doing something wrong here, or do I need to make the transit corridors even narrower? What tactics have you employed to do the trick?
Post #: 1
RE: Mine Countermeasures - 3/16/2018 6:11:48 PM   
Sardaukar

You might be going too fast with your ships.

Lot of MCM operations rely on slower speeds. And MCM helicopters are not always most reliable detectors.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to jmarso)
Post #: 2
RE: Mine Countermeasures - 3/16/2018 6:17:16 PM   
SeaQueen

I do similarly, but I typically let the minesweeping platforms do their thing for a while before I send anyone in. After a few passes, I typically have no problems. After they've made a few passes through the route I want cleared, I usually detect a few mines either in or near the route. Once I've cleared those, I'll widen the route a little bit, and send the ships through. Mines force a delay. The bigger the area you need to clear, the longer the delay is, which is why you only want to spend time clearing the smallest possible area.

quote:

In the past, typically in a scenario like Brass Drum when I want to transit the strait, I'll set up a very narrow corridor using locked reference points and send the MCM helos in ahead of the first poor unfortunate of a surface ship that leads the charge as guinea pig. The ships that follow do so line astern, keeping as close to the track of the first as possible. They creep along, all sensors on active, and yet it still seems I get hammered by mines on a routine basis.

(in reply to jmarso)
Post #: 3
RE: Mine Countermeasures - 3/16/2018 6:57:20 PM   
jmarso

How do you guys set up your MCM aircraft in terms of speed, altitude, and optimum search area?

Also, I use 'creep' for surface units, which usually puts them at about 5 knots. Too fast?

Also, is there any kind of message log entry or what not when an aircraft detects or sweeps a mine? I don't think I've seen anything like that from an aircraft, which makes me wonder if they are finding any mines at all. (Yes, the sensors are turned on. ;) )

< Message edited by jmarso -- 3/16/2018 6:58:53 PM >

(in reply to SeaQueen)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mine Countermeasures Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI