Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Effects of multi-axis attack

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Effects of multi-axis attack Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Effects of multi-axis attack - 3/18/2018 12:53:58 PM   
jirik

Hi,

I'd like to know what are the real effects of multi-axis attack. I've created a test scenario with Perry class frigate attacked from two sides with Harpoon armed Intruders. When the missiles are detected by the defender then the OODA delay is the same for missiles from both directions.

I searched the forum history and it seems to me that it was claimed that multi-axis impact is simulated via OODA delay. Should not be OODA delays different for both directions? Or are multi-axis effect simulated in different way? Are the multi-axis attack really worthy of the more complicated strike planning?

Thanks a lot for tips.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Effects of multi-axis attack - 3/18/2018 2:50:46 PM   
SeaQueen

It depends. In the case of the OHP class, they only have so many missile and gun directors. If the target ship has 2 missile directors and you attack on 3 axis, it's a lot easier for your missiles to get through his defensive missile screen. If you complicate his firing picture with decoys, he might end up attacking the wrong things entirely!

More modern ships which can direct larger numbers of missiles with phased array antennas make that tactic less effective because they don't get overwhelmed as easily. That makes decoys even important, because it adds to the uncertainty of what they're actually targeting and they're not limited so much by the number of things they can target at once.

Some weapons systems don't have complete 360 deg coverage. That means that attacking where their cutouts are increases your effectiveness too. While at long distances they assume the ship is able to maneuver quickly enough to take a shot, once you get inside a certain distances the cutouts matter. It's always advantageous to try to get your missiles in a spot where they might lack point defenses. Multi-axis attacks increase the likelihood of that happening after the ship maneuvers.

(in reply to jirik)
Post #: 2
RE: Effects of multi-axis attack - 3/18/2018 3:55:40 PM   
CCIP-subsim

Remember also that sensors have scan rates, and weapons have traverse rates. Even if a detection (as opposed to tracking) sensor has 360-degree coverage, in most cases it takes some time for it to rotate through that 360 degrees and update. Similarly, for a weapon on a rotating mounting, it also takes some time to switch to another target. The differences aren't going to be huge, on the order of a few seconds at best, but it can make a difference. And even if an attack from a second direction is detected while one is already in progress from the first one, the extra delay for tracking sensors and weapons to switch from one target to the next should also be factored in. A search radar, for example, might alert a unit to the presence of another threat coming from another angle, but it can't lock that threat, i.e. won't provide good enough information for a firing solution.

Essentially it's like anything - you hedge your bets and make tradeoffs. Generally speaking, the possibility of winning a few extra seconds to attack, plus the fact you're not putting all your eggs in one basket, is often worth the tradeoff. Realistically, if you're going up against a modern ship in a properly-formed task group - you probably won't beat it by just attacking from multiple axis. It's still a very small % chance of success, although the multiple axis probably makes that % a little higher than it would otherwise be.

< Message edited by CCIP-subsim -- 3/18/2018 3:58:12 PM >

(in reply to SeaQueen)
Post #: 3
RE: Effects of multi-axis attack - 3/19/2018 4:17:31 AM   
jmarso

The most effective multi-axis attack is one where you can coordinate a TOT (time on target.) Example: SAG shooting missiles from one direction, with MPA shooting from a second, and an air wing strike launching a standoff attack from a third. You time the distances and flight times so that the missiles all arrive at the same time, from three different directions. As things stand now with the game, this would be pretty effort-intensive to set up. A mission or strike planner would make it a lot easier- sounds like something like that may be coming in the future. One of the hardest things about this game is that you play the role of each composite warfare commander, the airborne element coordinator, and the CINC without any of the various staffs those guys have in real life. It's HARD!! But loads of fun. :D

(in reply to CCIP-subsim)
Post #: 4
RE: Effects of multi-axis attack - 3/19/2018 8:45:00 AM   
jirik

Thanks guys!

(in reply to jmarso)
Post #: 5
RE: Effects of multi-axis attack - 3/19/2018 9:20:23 AM   
Dysta

This explains why VLS is prioritized to SAM -- a proper full coverage to nullify the advantages of multi-axial attack. I tested it in game before and multi-axial attack has worse percentage to bypass than single-out all the missiles somehow.

(in reply to jirik)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Effects of multi-axis attack Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI