Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First impression anyone?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> First impression anyone? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First impression anyone? - 3/22/2018 5:25:22 PM   
wodin

Anyone give us their first impression? I have a feeling I'm not really getting the game and mechanics as its not grabbed me as I thought WEGO would do, I'm finding lack of info watching turn play is an issue for me plus not sure why but it doesn't feel WEGO as such, seems during a turn units move in one after the other not simultianously. Prob like to see the units moving across the map like Command Ops let's say, maybe the length of each replay is the reason..

Also finding the graphics lacking atmosphere, very colourful and then icons like the attack he seem low quality..

Again love to hear others as I think my gripes are mine alone, more a taste thing.

Finally abit of a bugbear of mine but do wish casualties shown per man etc even if chrome.

Maybe with everything right next to each other the intro scenario isn't the best to judge the turn replay WEGO side of the game. Maybe a smaller scale hex would have helped..would also have helped reducing the large unit stacks as well.

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/22/2018 5:30:54 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/22/2018 7:58:55 PM   
SlickWilhelm

Wodin, try the "Rats vs. the Ram" scenario. The map is bigger and everything isn't squished together like they are in the Bardia tutorial.

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/22/2018 9:03:53 PM   
BletchleyGeek

Hello some first impressions... I woke up at 5.30 AM to make sure I had a moment to go over SlickWilhem's tutorial before going to work and dropping the kid at kinder.

Just to get what I haven't loved out of the way first...

While the graphics/icons can definitely be improved, I think the user interface is very well thought. Somebody has spent THOUSANDS of hours on the old V4V/WAW games and worked out how to optimise its usage. I appreciate its consistency and transparency.

Regarding the visual style I find it a bit jarring. Some modifiers look like directly borrowed from an old SSG game. The unit bar looks like pulled from Tiller's Panzer Campaigns. Those white on black buttons will be great for the visually impaired, but they do tire my (quite healthy, touching wood) eyes. The VCR turn replay buttons look like programmer's art. I do really want a way to see all plotted moves at once, and the movement arrows to be as broad as the ones used to display combats.

Biggest issue at the moment is how to configure properly the JAVA executable to deal with DPI font scaling in a way that I can play this on a Surface without squinting... I am pretty sure it will be totes okay on the desktop though.

Now the awesome... Oh, boy, there's plenty of that.

1/ WEGO: As Wodin says, a difference with Command Ops and Combat Mission is that unit actions and game events do not get presented in a continuous manner (e.g. the engine calculates where each unit needs to be on the next "frame", then displays results all at once). This engine actually shows you the order in which things are resolved... which looks less "realistic" but it is also more transparent.
2/ Dynamic ZOC values: ZOCs aren't binary, but actually are modelling both how hard is to move in the sight of the enemy and how hard is to disengage from it. Well done.
3/ Supply system: quite abstracted but perfectly reasonable and well integrated with combat, movement and ZOCs.
4/ The Editor is a WOW. Adjustable time scale (I would like to have turns shorter than 6 hours, but probably that would break a bit the combat engine), adjustable map scale, ability to load an image underlay to trace maps... and the AI editor. To draw an analogy, and I know very well what I am talking about, the stuff you can potentially do with what Brian and the rest of the team are exposing is on par to what you can do with Command Ops, if it was exposing to players how plans are constructed.
5/ Ground assets are a great idea which doesn't feel gimmicky at all and it is very flexible to account for leadership, electronic warfare, superior command and control and doctrines.

This is an outstanding game! I don't need a campaign... I will send postcards to the doubters from France and Russia!

Note: when reviewing combat results you need to right click so the detailed combat panel is shown. That tripped me over for a while, and somehow I missed it in SlickWilhem's excellent tutorial.

< Message edited by BletchleyGeek -- 3/22/2018 10:28:59 PM >

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 3
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/22/2018 9:07:55 PM   
spinecruncher

I think I am a gonna take da plunge.

(in reply to BletchleyGeek)
Post #: 4
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/22/2018 9:12:26 PM   
baloo7777

Got the game. Played tutorial and I like the game system. Looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks.

JRR

(in reply to spinecruncher)
Post #: 5
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/22/2018 9:44:39 PM   
surfcandy

I like what I've seen so far. I went through the Matrix catalog and I couldn't find games dealing specifically with the Desert War in WW2. I'll be purchasing tonight.

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 6
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/22/2018 10:13:52 PM   
Yogi the Great

If SlickWilhelm says it's a good game, it must be a good game!

Hi Slick it's good to see your Avatar again.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to surfcandy)
Post #: 7
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/22/2018 11:51:47 PM   
Duck Doc

Well, contrarian that I am, I find the graphics very appealing, functional and high quality. I am running the game on a 27" monitor at 2560 x 1140 resolution and the view is impressive. I have a powerful GPU and there is no delay or stuttering at all.

Have run SlickWilhelm's excellent tutorial through and am learning the game's mechanics (although there seems to be some changes in the interface and scenario since the turorial was written - no big deal). The replay feature after the WEGO turn works for me.

This game is very detailed and the manual is 130+ pages. Plenty to digest.

Although it is early, I am excited about the game. It is 'sexy' in its presentation of the desert war in WW2. I will withold a comprehensive review until I have the game tucked well under my belt.

Really, if the AAR's and bite-sized presentations on this forum don't give you the info you need to decide about a purchase then I can't really help you . At $40, imltho, it is a steal!

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 8
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/23/2018 12:49:18 AM   
surfcandy

Bought it and so far I am happy with my purchase. The first thing that I was so happy about was the UI is very sharp and clear and easy to read @ 2560x1440. This is one of the few wargames that I can actually see EVERYTHING on the computer screen without a double take including and most important the zoomable to large unit counters! Seriously these older eyes are having a ball and are thanking me!

< Message edited by surfcandy -- 3/23/2018 12:53:52 AM >

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 9
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/23/2018 1:13:15 AM   
Fred98

I am not a fan of any wargame where you can stack any more than 4 counters in a hex.

Makes it too hard to manage my forces.

(in reply to surfcandy)
Post #: 10
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/23/2018 2:12:01 AM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

Hi Slick it's good to see your Avatar again.

Hello Yogi, my old friend and fellow beta tester! So glad to see you on here again.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 11
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/23/2018 2:17:11 AM   
Rosseau

In games like TOAW IV, stacking can get pretty crazy.

In this game, you can limit stacking in the editor, but that's not going to help with the canned scenarios without some work. I have read the Tutorial document (thank you, Slick) and am considering the game closely.

Post #: 12
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/23/2018 2:25:59 AM   
rhinobones

I have been watching Desert War for the past several years. Applaud the team that has brought this game to the public. Sincere, congratulations.
Have been reading the pro and con comments from players and found that they all have merit. There are some things Desert War needs to fix. But overall, and out of the box, it is an excellent game. My personal recommendations for the future are:

1. Expand the universe to beyond the desert in 1942.

2. Provide a user friendly interface for building new scenarios.

3. Build an event editor for adding variability to individual scenarios.

Overall, I think this game, and any that it should spawn, are a gift to the gaming community.
Desert War is new, it has some bumps, but I believe the team is committed to providing the best experience possible. I support their efforts.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 13
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/23/2018 6:13:10 AM   
zakblood

i find it funny when one game makes a limit and players moan and then another doesn't and other moan there are no limits, so it seems you can't please everyone, imo the stacks are easy to manage, then again i test WITE2 and WITW so are used to having very high numbers of counters to move and sort, so i guess it's down to user preferences again

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 14
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/23/2018 7:26:14 AM   
VegasOZ

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

i find it funny when one game makes a limit and players moan and then another doesn't and other moan there are no limits, so it seems you can't please everyone, imo the stacks are easy to manage, then again i test WITE2 and WITW so are used to having very high numbers of counters to move and sort, so i guess it's down to user preferences again

SO.... I'm waiting for the OFFICIAL zakbllod SEAL on this one.

Is it a GO or a NO GO?

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 15
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/23/2018 7:51:23 AM   
zakblood

it's down to taste tbh, if you like the area of battle and the units in, for me then it's a yes, if your not into the desert war and period, then i'd wait for something more to your time frame, so it's a balanced approach on this one, all war games i'd recommend if there done well, and this one has been done well, iv'e seen a few on steam i've voted down as they wasn't working as i had hoped, this one does, it has it's own engine, the developers are gamer's and players more than pure developers as such, so they have made a game they both like to play, and hope others enjoy there version and design, so for me yes

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 16
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/23/2018 9:11:39 AM   
reynt

Bought.
Thank you very much for the translation for spanish, so it's nice.
The amount of information that the game provides is brutal. A 10.

By the way, the maps lack clarity.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 17
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/23/2018 10:25:14 AM   
VegasOZ

Getting it now...thanks for the recommendation.

(in reply to reynt)
Post #: 18
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/23/2018 10:49:00 AM   
VegasOZ

Got it and took a quick look at the intro scenario. My first impression is that this game has a very new and pretty different system and mechanics and I really like what I've seen so far. Something different for sure. This is my personal favorite theater of the WW II period, love the Desert Fox and the Desert Rats as well. I'm impressed with the graphics (old time hardcore war gamer) as I used to play the SPI and Avalon Hill table top games and my favorite was always CAMPAIGN FOR NORTH AFRICA. I'm calling it a night now and will be back into this DESERT WAR first thing. Looking forward to a new fresh take on this history.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 19
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/23/2018 11:11:35 AM   
zakblood

glad your enjoying it

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 20
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/23/2018 11:13:19 AM   
radic202

Wow! Haven't played a decent PC Desert War Game since "Operation Crusader" from Avalon Hill all those years ago. Truly enjoying the game so far. Thanks!

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 21
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/23/2018 11:38:25 AM   
Saint Ruth

Thanks for all the feedback!

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 22
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/23/2018 4:21:56 PM   
jimi3

For my 2 cents, I am very impressed with this release. I think the command & control and supply are handled in a very intuitive way. It is very obvious the amount of time that went into this. The shock rules and use of armour are novel indeed. All the documentation and explanations that have preceeded the release have been spot on. Thanks to all involved. I do think this will take some dedication on the players part to fully undertand whats under the hood.

Cheers, Jim

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 23
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/23/2018 11:21:29 PM   
VegasOZ

Frankly... I'm bitterly disappointed with the release version of this game.

I had my heart set on ROUNDED CORNERS for the counters...sigh, well, maybe next time.

GREAT JOB developers...a truly impressive game. Thanks.

(in reply to jimi3)
Post #: 24
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/23/2018 11:28:28 PM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: VegasOZ

I had my heart set on ROUNDED CORNERS for the counters...sigh, well, maybe next time.

Heh, I can't tell if you are seriously disappointed or poking fun at the people who will use the tiniest issue to justify giving this title a pass.

It's not like there have been a ton of serious operational wargames based in the Western Desert in WWII in the past tweny five years. If you have any interest in this theater of operations, it is a must buy.

< Message edited by SlickWilhelm -- 3/23/2018 11:29:29 PM >

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 25
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/24/2018 2:18:02 AM   
VegasOZ

quote:

ORIGINAL: SlickWilhelm

quote:

Heh, I can't tell if you are seriously disappointed or poking fun at the people who will use the tiniest issue to justify giving this title a pass.

It's not like there have been a ton of serious operational wargames based in the Western Desert in WWII in the past tweny five years. If you have any interest in this theater of operations, it is a must buy.

I was poking fun at the "whiners"... I got the game LOVE IT and want them to do a Battle of the Bulge using their system and mechanics. Just joking about the "corners"...hehehe

Post #: 26
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/24/2018 2:57:29 AM   
spinecruncher

I think people who make decisions based on Steam, well they are certainly limiting their horizons. My hat goes off the designer. Great game. Some rather ingenious conceptions. I am not a Desert guy. I like Eastern Front and Continental Europe -- but I would never limit myself to a theatre or vendor.With this game, the concept of shock value, well, doesn't that sound like it would work great with the First Schock Army in the Battle for Moscow! Seriously, this game has some real potential. The designer was really smart to put an editor. We will be hearing/reading much more about this game in the months and years to come.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 27
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/24/2018 3:46:20 AM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SlickWilhelm

quote:

I was poking fun at the "whiners"... I got the game LOVE IT and want them to do a Battle of the Bulge using their system and mechanics. Just joking about the "corners"...hehehe

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 28
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/24/2018 4:06:42 AM   
spinecruncher

i might add the graphics are pretty darn reasonable; the tool-tips are great. Like I said, this game is going places, or I should say, this title.

Post #: 29
RE: First impression anyone? - 3/24/2018 4:09:11 AM   
wodin

Not sure why anyone here who has posted deserves the tag of "whiner".

I too find things like the unit box to close for comfort regarding tiller games esp Jisons mods. Yes silly small thing but makes it feel abit must mash thrown together, really this s where I think it shows its original freeware roots that's all. I think the mechanics and gameplay deserve about more that's all.

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/24/2018 4:14:31 AM >

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> First impression anyone? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI