Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Full screen

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Full screen Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Full screen - 3/24/2018 11:10:55 PM   
DOCUP

Ok, guys. I have suffered through this and I'm tired of it. I'm tring for a full screen. I have read the forum and tried the recommendations. Here is a pic of my screen and the code thats running. Help me Please.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Full screen - 3/25/2018 12:52:27 AM   
Korvar

I've attached a .zip file containing two shortcuts - one for windowed slightly smaller than your monitor resolution (to allow space for the title bar at top) and another for fullscreen mode. Each is in its own folder for easy identification.

Fullscreen should utilize the entire monitor space, but it won't allow you to easily switch to other applications like Tracker, etc.

Windowed will allow easy access to other applications at the cost of a little screen real estate.

I also guessed at what might be a good switch combo in general, although it might not be ideal for your system. Try it and let me know if anything is "off" (screen lag, sound issues, whatever) and we can make adjustments.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 2
RE: Full screen - 3/26/2018 12:42:47 AM   
DOCUP

Thanks Korvar, but I wasn't able to download it.

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 3
RE: Full screen - 3/26/2018 12:42:54 PM   
zuluhour

Hey Joe, I don't think WD and F are compatible. I am at work so can't say for sure but try -F first in string and get rid of WD.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 4
RE: Full screen - 3/26/2018 7:29:53 PM   
Oliver Heindorf

-wd switch is gonna kill ya. My setupo is -cpu3 -dd_sw -deepColor -px1920 -py1080 and its full screen and runs like a charm

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 5
RE: Full screen - 3/26/2018 9:14:32 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oliver Heindorf

-wd switch is gonna kill ya. My setupo is -cpu3 -dd_sw -deepColor -px1920 -py1080 and its full screen and runs like a charm

Part of the issue is Windows 10 that causes the bleed-through. Are you running Win 10?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Oliver Heindorf)
Post #: 6
RE: Full screen - 3/26/2018 9:27:10 PM   
HansBolter

I have found that if I want to run the game in a resolution less than the monitor is set at I have to change the monitor to that resolution before launching the game or my full screen game floats in the middle of the monitor display.

My monitor default is 1980x1020.

I run the game at 1280x720.

I have to change the monitor to 1280x720 to get the full screen game to fill the monitor.

I'm running Win10.

Hans

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Full screen - 3/27/2018 12:02:25 AM   
DOCUP

Kurt: I tried the -F , it didn't work.

BBfanboy: Yes, I am running Win 10

Oliver: Look at pic

Hans: I tried that too. No Joy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 8
RE: Full screen - 3/27/2018 12:06:10 AM   
BBfanboy

My question re: running Win 10 was addressed to the previous poster who said he had no problems, but did not say what O/S he was using.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 9
RE: Full screen - 3/30/2018 1:58:39 AM   
DOCUP

Korvar: I got it to download tonite. So the below pic is the windows mode. Also thanks for helping.

The full screen does take up the full screen but leave about 3 inches of black space on both left and right of the game picture.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by DOCUP -- 3/30/2018 2:00:50 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Full screen - 3/30/2018 4:44:18 AM   
vebyw

Hi. I just bought the game this morning using the HappyEaster coupon. I got it set up in 30 min using this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A1QMOH71tA

Hope this helps

(my kids have schooled me that everything is on youtube...)

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 11
RE: Full screen - 4/1/2018 3:55:57 AM   
Korvar

DOCUP,

The black region around the main menu screen is normal. Try starting a game and see what it does then.

Also, if you want to try making adjustments to your shortcut, check the SeaBee thread; I have released the 1st alpha version (link to thread in my signature). If you need help using SeaBee, just let me know in either thread.

(in reply to vebyw)
Post #: 12
RE: Full screen - 4/3/2018 4:35:59 PM   
DOCUP

Thanks Korvar. I'll look into it later.

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 13
RE: Full screen - 4/3/2018 4:49:41 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Korvar

DOCUP,

The black region around the main menu screen is normal. Try starting a game and see what it does then.

Also, if you want to try making adjustments to your shortcut, check the SeaBee thread; I have released the 1st alpha version (link to thread in my signature). If you need help using SeaBee, just let me know in either thread.

I don't get the black surround when forcing my monitor to match the resolution of the game. The loading interface fills the screen.

Hans

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 14
RE: Full screen - 4/3/2018 5:41:34 PM   
Korvar

If you reduce the monitor resolution (in the "Display Settings" menu in Windows) to match the default game resolution, then the loading screen will fill the monitor. If you increase the game resolution to match (or closely match) the intended resolution of the monitor, in most cases (unless you have a low res monitor) then the loading screen will not expand to fill the monitor, BUT the game interface (while playing) will.

I'd recommend increasing the game resolution to match the resolution of your monitor, as it will increase the viewable map area and will look sharper in general. The one exception to this is if doing so makes the game text too small to comfortably read since the game doesn't have the capability to scale text. Even then I'd experiment to find a the highest possible game resolution where the text is still readable to you. The -pxf and -pyf switches are the ones you want to use to force the game into a particular resolution - SeaBee uses these switches exclusively for this reason. I also prefer to select resolutions which divide evenly according to the aspect ratio of the monitor being used, which prevents any distortion of the images.

Making the game match the monitor is even more important with LCD "flatscreen" monitors. These have a "native" resolution they are intended to use and typically perform/look the best when at this particular resolution - much more so than was the case with CRTs. Again, vision issues have 1st priority over these technical considerations.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 15
RE: Full screen - 4/5/2018 5:14:45 PM   
Admiral DadMan

***EDITED TO REFLECT UPDATED RESULTS OF TESTING***

With all this talk about running Fullscreen, I decided to experiment with command line switches and shortcut settings.

I have finally gotten it to work consistently, run smoothly, without image bleed through.

The overriding thing to remember is that this game was written when Windows XP was still the thing.

It is not only important to have the correct switches, but the correct settings too. Switches are the codes that follow the "-" character, e.g. "-cpu2" or "-deepColor".

It is best create a fresh shortcut from your War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe program file, which I will refer to as .exe going forward.

To find your .exe file, go to the main War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition folder, find the .exe file (War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe).
Right click on the file. A menu will pop up.
From the pop-up menu select "Create shortcut".

Find the new shortcut (rename it if you like) and right click on it.
When the menu pops up, go to the bottom of the menu and select "Properties". You will get a new screen with 6 tabs on it.

There are 2 tabs you will work with: "Shortcut" and "Compatibility". There are important differences in how each of them work.

The "Shortcut" tab only affects the current shortcut you are working on, so if you have a Windows shortcut as well as this Fullscreen shortcut, what you do on this tab will NOT affect your Window shortcut

Conversely, selections made on the "Compatibility" tab are universal, meaning that all selections made for this Fullscreen will be selected for all shortcuts to the .exe file. Selecting for one means selecting for all.

This brings you directly to the "Shortcut" tab.
Click in the "Target" field.
Right arrow key ->>> all the way to the end where you will see the end of the command line which looks like this:

Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe"

After the Admiral Edition.exe" add your switches.

My game is installed on my D: drive, therefore I use the following Target on the .exe shortcut:

"D:\Games\WitPAE\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1920 -py1080 -deepColor -cpu2

Notes:
*The -f switch is irrelevant. Do not use it. (If you're playing against the AI or head-to-head i.e. playtesting, and you wish daily save, use switch -fd, or -fw for weekly saves.)
*My standard/max resolution is 1920x1080
*The -deepColor switch is required for smooth map scrolling.
*I use -cpu2 to lock the game into using one processor for my own peace of mind (my computer has 8), although I have not seen it as required.

*I do NOT use the -dd_sw switch command for Fullscreen. I found that it was this switch that was causing bleed through in Fullscreen mode. That switch is helpful for the Windowed mode though.

After you've added the switches, go to the "Compatibility" tab. Unlike the "Shortcut" tab, ALL selections made in the Compatibility tab are shared by ALL shortcuts made from the .exe file.

Look for "Compatibility mode".
Click the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
Click the drop down menu right below that. I've chosen to select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"

Now look in the "Settings" section just below it.
Click the box before "Override high DPI scaling behavior".
The drop down menu below it will read "Application". You can leave it at that, or experiment by selecting "System" or "System (Enhanced)".

You likely won't need "Disable fullscreen optimizations"

This should allow you to run in Fullscreen mode.

"Reduced color mode" 8-bit or 16-bit color is NOT recommended.

It is important to note that if you use both Fullscreen AND Windows mode (I use Fullscreen for Replays and Windows for Orders in my PBeM) beware that what is done on the "Compatibility" tab will be in effect on ALL shortcuts made from the .exe file (for those of you who are nuts enough to make more than 1 shortcut). You can however use different switches on the "Shortcut" tab in each shortcut.

That being the case, I advise AGAINST the Reduced color mode for either FS or Win.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Windows Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 4/9/2018 1:50:47 PM >

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 16
RE: Full screen - 4/5/2018 6:25:20 PM   
DOCUP

i'll try this Admiral

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 17
RE: Full screen - 4/5/2018 7:06:00 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

With all this talk about running Full Screen, I decided to experiment with command line switches and shortcut settings.

I have finally gotten it to work consistently, run smoothly, without image bleed through.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Windows Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

It is not only important to have the correct switches, but the correct settings too. Switches are the codes that follow the "-" character, e.g. "-cpu2" or "-deepColor".

It is best create a fresh shortcut from your War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe program file, which I will refer to as .exe going forward.

To find your .exe file, go to the main War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition folder, find the .exe file (War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe).
Right click on the file.
From the pop-up menu select "Create shortcut".

Find the new shortcut (rename it if you like) and right click on it.
When the menu pops up, go to the bottom of the menu and select "Properties". You will get a new screen with 6 tabs on it.

This brings you directly to the "Shortcut" tab.
Click in the "Target" field.
Right arrow key ->>> all the way to the end where you will see the end of the command line which looks like this:

Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe"

After the Admiral Edition.exe" add your switches.

I use the following Target on the .exe shortcut:

"D:\Games\WitPAE\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -cpu2 -px1920 -py1080 -deepColor

Notes:
*My max resolution is 1920x1080
*The -f switch is irrelevant. Do not use it. If you're playing against the AI or head-to-head (i.e. playtesting) and you wish daily saves the switch is -fd and -fw for weekly saves.
*I use -cpu2 for my own peace of mind to rule out anomalies, although I have not seen it as required.
*The -deepColor switch is required for smooth scrolling.
*I do NOT use the -dd_sw command. I found that it was this switch that was causing bleed through. That switch is helpful for the windowed mode though.

After you've added the switches, go to the "Compatibility" tab.

Look for "Compatibility mode".
Click the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
Click the drop down menu right below that. I've chosen to select "Windows Vista"

Now look in the "Settings" section just below it.
Click the box before "Override high DPI scaling behavior".
The drop down menu below it will read "Application". You can leave it at that, or experiment by selecting "System" or "System (Enhanced)".

This should allow you to run in Full Screen mode.

You can also experiment with:
Click the box next to "Reduced color mode" and run in 8-bit or 16-bit color.
Click the box next to "Disable fullscreen optimizations"

Dad, will this work out the night turn lag?....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

Post #: 18
RE: Full screen - 4/5/2018 7:16:56 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

quote:

You can also experiment with:
Click the box next to "Disable fullscreen optimizations"

I advise AGAINST the Reduced color mode for either FS or Win.

Dad, will this work out the night turn lag?....GP

It screams along in my testing.

One caveat:

If you use both fullscreen AND Windows mode (I use fullscreen for Replays and Windows for Orders in my PBeM) beware that what is done on the Compatibility tab will be in effect on BOTH shortcuts.

That being the case, I advise AGAINST the Reduced color mode for either Win or FS

For Windows mode, I recommend using BOTH the -dd_sw AND -deepColor switches.
For Fullscreen, I recommend using ONLY -deepColor.

-Scot

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 4/6/2018 1:31:09 PM >

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 19
RE: Full screen - 4/5/2018 7:47:53 PM   
btd64

Thanks Scot. I'll check it out....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

Post #: 20
RE: Full screen - 4/5/2018 7:57:56 PM   
Admiral DadMan

You're welcome.

A further caveat: I rarely use fullscreen, because I'm usually doing 3 things at once, and I need that quick Alt+Tab ability that I get in Windows mode.

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 21
RE: Full screen - 4/5/2018 9:15:51 PM   
DOCUP

I want to say thanks to Korvar and Admiral Dadman. I got them both to work, once I read what they said.

Post #: 22
RE: Full screen - 4/5/2018 10:53:55 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

You're welcome.

A further caveat: I rarely use fullscreen, because I'm usually doing 3 things at once, and I need that quick Alt+Tab ability that I get in Windows mode.

Alt-Tab works in full screen mode. I use it all the time.

Post #: 23
RE: Full screen - 4/5/2018 11:32:03 PM   
DConn

Many thanks. This did cure the bleed-through in full screen mode, and it does seem to be related to the -dd_sw switch (which I had been using to reduce lag, but which now doesn't seem to be a problem). I can confirm that when I use the new shortcut I created and add the -dd_sw switch, I get the bleed-through.

--Dave Conn
Currently defending the free world against montesaurus, DBB-B, Scen. 28

Post #: 24
RE: Full screen - 4/6/2018 10:41:26 AM   
Admiral DadMan

Yes, it does, but it's slower to switch over from fullscreen.
quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

You're welcome.

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 25
RE: Full screen - 4/6/2018 10:44:16 AM   
Admiral DadMan

Interestingly, -dd_sw cures bleed through and lag for Windowed mode, but creates bleed through in Fullscreen mode.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Conn

Many thanks. This did cure the bleed-through in full screen mode, and it does seem to be related to the -dd_sw switch (which I had been using to reduce lag, but which now doesn't seem to be a problem). I can confirm that when I use the new shortcut I created and add the -dd_sw switch, I get the bleed-through.

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to DConn)
Post #: 26
RE: Full screen - 4/6/2018 2:43:17 PM   
Korvar

That's all good info, Admiral DadMan. Thanks!

I'll incorporate that info in an upcoming iteration of SeaBee; I want to build a 'wizard' style menu which will gather info about a player's system and ask questions which will be easier for a player to answer in order to derive a likely optimal switch configuration.

A couple items of note:

The beta .exe defaults any shortcuts for it to run as admin and XP SP3 compatibility mode.

Compared to a shortcut for the regular .exe:

You also gave me a thought as to why the 'Creator's Update' (ver. 1709) of Win 10 has been changing the switch recommendations for lag, in some cases. That version introduced the 'enhanced' dpi scaling feature, which is supposed to reduce blurry text and such in older programs. It's something that Windows has been able to do for a long time now, but never in such an automated and, in a sense, 'aggressive' fashion. Note on my screenshots which come from ver. 1607 of Win 10, there is only 'disable display scaling' and not 'override'. That said, I've never used it and my copy of WitP:AE screams right along as well.

Using the override setting in 1709 as a default recommendation could be a way to offset the new behavior from Windows.

Post #: 27
RE: Full screen - 4/6/2018 3:24:14 PM   
Admiral DadMan

It's funny that you post that Korvar, as I was testing some further setting on the theory that "less is more".

Pushing compatibility mode even further back to Win XP SP2 with no other boxes checked is yielding even better results (Win98/ME was a complete fail though lol). I've even unchecked the admin box (although the yes/no box still comes up when the program starts, but that's a function of using the XP setting as opposed to Vista).

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 28
RE: Full screen - 4/6/2018 6:40:08 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Yes, it does, but it's slower to switch over from fullscreen.
quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

You're welcome.

May be a Win 10 thing - I am using Win 7 and full screen and the Alt-Tab switching is instantaneous. Or maybe you just have to have lots of RAM to carry both the game and the other stuff you have open.

Post #: 29
RE: Full screen - 4/18/2018 10:27:18 PM   
Chickenboy

Hey guys, thanks for this. I was having some annoying bleedthrough problems in fullscreen mode. Iterations are limited at this point, but I appear to have solved the bleedthrough by REMOVING -dd_sw. Much more pleasant a viewing experience now.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Full screen Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI