Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 12/30/2017 12:39:10 PM   
Telemecus

Turn 21 in dropbox for the Soviet Team - Stelteck covered North and Crackaces covered Centre this turn.

Many thanks also to Lictuel for allowing their turn to be covered during the festive season!

2018 may have come first, but 1942 is not too long away.

The Soviet team in the 2by3+ team game are looking for a new commander. It is a much lower commitment than going solo. A great way for a beginner to do their first game against others. And if you are an old hand come and show us your stuff. If you would like to join the team do post on any of the games threads, or feel free to message Neogodhobo or myself.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 12/30/2017 12:41:44 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 301
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 12/30/2017 12:58:06 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist
Your Telenovela post made me laugh so hard Telemecus

That joke is probably understood everywhere in the world apart from my own country ironically enough

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

How about a poster of Stalin with the words, 'Uncle Joe wants you'?

The Soviet team in the 2by3+ team game are looking for a new commander. It is a much lower commitment than going solo. A great way for a beginner to do their first game against others. And if you are an old hand come and show us your stuff. If you would like to join the team do post here or on any of the games other threads, or feel free to message Neogodhobo or myself.

Soooooooo, I have been thinking about this poster of Stalin. This had to have been written by a westerner since it says, ""Eastern Front" needs you". If you were a Soviet you would have said, "Western Front" needs you ;-P Since the Eastern Front for the Soviets would have been a possible war with Japan in the Far East. At least that is how I would look at it if I were a Soviet. hehehehehehe

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 302
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 12/30/2017 1:06:35 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain
Soooooooo, I have been thinking about this poster of Stalin. This had to have been written by a westerner since it says, ""Eastern Front" needs you". If you were a Soviet you would have said, "Western Front" needs you ;-P Since the Eastern Front for the Soviets would have been a possible war with Japan in the Far East. At least that is how I would look at it if I were a Soviet. hehehehehehe

A lot of truth in that - indeed you could even just say "The Front" needs you - not the little sideshow their allies are running.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 12/30/2017 3:43:17 PM >

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 303
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 12/30/2017 5:02:32 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

Also technically would not the Western front be the Eastern front for the British and Americans?

Would the war in the Pacific be the war in the far west?

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 12/30/2017 5:03:25 PM >

Post #: 304
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 12/30/2017 6:18:48 PM   
topeverest

hehe!

quote:

quote:

Also technically would not the Western front be the Eastern front for the British and Americans?

Would the war in the Pacific be the war in the far west?

Andy M

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 305
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 1/7/2018 4:33:45 PM   
M60A3TTS

T21 was replayed per a discussion between Telemecus and Sparkley Tits.

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 306
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 1/7/2018 6:43:04 PM   
Telemecus

Thanks - apologies for not messaging directly, was delayed by RL, but glad it got sorted. We see T21 has been redone and will be starting turn 22 again from now.

New Team Member
We have added a new member to the Axis team - timmyab! You will probably know timmyab from their AARs and bring a vast experience to the game. I think it is also a credit to the team game that we are running to see experienced players viewing our team game as a viable and interesting development. More news to follow!

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 307
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 1/7/2018 6:45:34 PM   
SparkleyTits

Welcome Timmy look forward to seeing you on the battlefield!

Also thanks alot to the baddies for allowing me to redo my turn at their expense it really is much appreciated

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 308
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 1/11/2018 7:21:39 PM   
Telemecus

Turn 22 in dropbox for the Soviet team

Update on our team line up

timmyab - Chief of Staff
Stelteck - North
Crackaces - Centre
thedude357 - South
Telemecus - Supreme
lowsugar - Head destroyer of SparkleyTits

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 1/11/2018 7:29:01 PM >

(in reply to SparkleyTits)
Post #: 309
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 1/11/2018 7:47:12 PM   
SparkleyTits

quote:

Turn 22 in dropbox for the Soviet team

Update on our team line up

timmyab - Chief of Staff
Stelteck - North
Crackaces - Centre
thedude357 - South
Telemecus - Supreme
lowsugar - Head destroyer of SparkleyTits

Haha brilliant all heil Herr Lowsugar!

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 310
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 1/12/2018 6:09:45 PM   
M60A3TTS

The Soviet side:

M60A3TTS

Suffers from multiple personality disorder. At times, he is I.V. STALIN, First Secretary of the Communist Party of the USSR and Chairman of the Committee for State Defense. Stalin receives nightly briefings previously within the Kremlin, now in the provisional capital of Kuybyshev from Marshal KLIMENT VOROSHILOV, Chief of Staff of the Red Army, also referred to as the RKKA (Red Army of Workers and Peasants). Since Voroshilov is also another personality belonging to M60, he talks to himself rather frequently. Fortunately IRL he is recently retired and has time for such idiosyncrasies.

With the loss of Moscow, Voroshilov does not have the level of confidence with Stalin that he previously had, but as long time comrades, Voroshilov's life is safe enough. Still, Stalin told him "we can no longer blame dead men (read Panzerjager Hortlund) for our current situation. It is up to us to get ourselves out of this f'd up situation."

Among the remedies applied after the start of the war, a directive was issued to all army commanders to create and maintain a direct link with the STAVKA at all times. Consequently, Stalin, Voroshilov and the STAVKA (read M60) have the means to bypass normal command channels and issue direct orders to any unit within the Red Army. This is by no means the norm, but it is absolutely historical.

Voroshilov is responsible for issuing weekly operational orders. These orders have all been reviewed with the Committee for State Defense beforehand, so Comrade Stalin knows what orders our commanders have been issued and with the command channel can easily verify whether such orders are carried out. He is also briefed on all communications coming from the three field commanders. If there are problems, Stalin will often leave them for Voroshilov to deal with. But there are times when Comrade Stalin gets a little peeved and may deal with the commanders directly. That is the way of things, the First Secretary isn't a "hands-off" kind of guy.

Sparkley Tits

I call him S-T for short. Commander of the Northwestern Direction. Our most recent addition. Hangs out on Discord a lot where the Fascist dog Telemecus also does. Still, the NKVD hasn't found anything incriminating...yet. Controls Leningrad and Northwest Fronts currently. He needs a bit of care and feeding but is learning a lot quickly, and that should discomfort his opposite number.

EwaldVonKleist

Commander of the Western Direction. Commander of Kalinin, Western and Bryansk Fronts. His failure in the early battles near Leningrad have been forgotten. Although he operates in the Moscow area, the loss of the capital was blamed on Voroshilov, after which time EvK took over. Stalin recently gave EvK a mild chewing out, but again, the First Secretary is never responsible for problems. It's always the subordinates who are at fault.

Lictuel

Commander of the Southwestern Direction. Commands Southwestern, Southern and Caucasus Fronts. Hero of Sevastopol which is still controlled by Soviet ground forces. Saw his command virtually wiped out during the summer but held on with dogged determination. The STAVKA since then has been rebuilding the command which is now almost at full strength. The quietest of the commanders but always dependable and ready for orders.

Honorable mention- Sardaukar

Former commander, now moved to the retired rolls of the Red Army. Unable IRL to really do more than the occasional lurk.

Honorable mention- Panzerjager Hortlund

Former commander of the STAVKA and one of the key reasons this game exists in the first place. Shot at the orders of the First Secretary for failures during the first 9 weeks of the war because someone had to be accountable, and it was not going to be Comrade Stalin.

Overall, these three players have been great, we definitely are past the days of people disappearing for weeks on end. If I cut into any of them as Stalin, it's all meant as good fun and maybe even a lesson to be found somewhere. There's still room for all of us to pick up things about the game from one another.

After the fall of Moscow, we did at least discuss whether the team should go on with the game, but there was not a single "no" vote to be found. So while the Red Army is a little down, if the fascists believe victory is in their future because we have no industry, not enough men, territory...we have other ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIBmrDUK_RU&t=81s

< Message edited by M60A3TTS -- 1/12/2018 6:32:26 PM >

Post #: 311
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 1/12/2018 7:21:00 PM   
SparkleyTits

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

Stalin recently gave EvK a mild chewing out, but again, the First Secretary is never responsible for problems. It's always the subordinates who are at fault.

I absolutely love the roleplay M60 and the message in question (Sorry EvK) actually had me in stitches

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 312
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 1/15/2018 3:25:31 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

quote:

Stalin recently gave EvK a mild chewing out, but again, the First Secretary is never responsible for problems. It's always the subordinates who are at fault.

I absolutely love the roleplay M60 and the message in question (Sorry EvK) actually had me in stitches

Maybe he isn't roleplaying at all and he is just that good ;-)

Post #: 313
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 1/17/2018 7:11:33 PM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

quote:

Maybe he isn't roleplaying at all and he is just that good ;-)

That all depends on who I am playing.

Post #: 314
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 1/26/2018 5:38:29 PM   
Telemecus

Axis team now starting on turn 24.

Stelteck is stepping back from a ground role for the blizzard, but will be back as a ground commander come the good weather. Apparently the Russian winter does not have the optimum temperature for Stelteck's champagne collection. Also apparently Mrs Stelteck is still expecting an "explanation" for Olga.

So our team from this turn will be

timmyab - North
Crackaces - Centre
thedude357 - South
lowsugar - Curator of the Führer's collection of SparkleyTits scalps
Stelteck - Chief inspector of strategic French agricultural products
Telemecus - Supreme

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 315
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 1/28/2018 8:08:04 PM   
Lictuel

quote:

Lictuel

Commander of the Southwestern Direction. Commands Southwestern, Southern and Caucasus Fronts. Hero of Sevastopol which is still controlled by Soviet ground forces. Saw his command virtually wiped out during the summer but held on with dogged determination. The STAVKA since then has been rebuilding the command which is now almost at full strength. The quietest of the commanders but always dependable and ready for orders.

Well being quite keeps one from making stupid comments that can be used to against oneself *looks at the commissar standing behind his back* ;)

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 316
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 2/27/2018 7:23:39 PM   
Telemecus

EightMP is now a 1 year old!

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 317
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 3/13/2018 10:31:09 AM   
Telemecus

quote:

PRESS RELEASE

From Ewald von Kleist, leader of XXXXVI Panzer Corps

Ewald von Kleist is happy to announce his new posting as leader of the XXXXVI Panzer Corps.

Ewald von Kleist wished well to his former troops in the 1st Panzer Army commenting "The Soviets started the blizzard at the gates of Voroshilovgrad - and they are ending it still at the gates of Voroshilovgrad!"

Ewald von Kleist praised his predecessors as leaders of the XXXXVI Panzer Corps for leaving their units in better condition than could ever have been imagined through a blizzard. Having thrown back numerous assaults to the South of Moscow he noted the effectiveness of their quad cannons after raking rows of running horses from the enemy's cavalry corps.

Ewald von Kleist said "It is time for a new challenge and I look forward to further extending our lebensraum around Moscow. And as for EwaldvonKleist I have this to say to him - you were lucky in Berlin, and you could not hack it against me in the south, now I am coming after you! Not only have you stolen my name you have even stolen my image. Remember you can run but you cannot hide!"

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 318
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 3/13/2018 11:42:41 AM   
EwaldvonKleist

The boundlessness of your accusations will be proven by a collective of Soviet lawyers in what will be called the "Nuremberg copyright trials". Beside the fact, that I am of no guilt, our way to work in collectives and the guidance by Stalin make me sure about a successful outcome of this process.

For what its worth, it has been proven to Ewald von Kleist by Zhukov that there will be no new Lebensraum around Moscow.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 319
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 3/14/2018 12:29:18 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

SparkleyTits
Woke up to being the only person left on EightMP
Jesus christ

When SparkleyTits is the "slow" member of the team that is certainly saying something!

Soviet Turn 31 took less than 18 hours. That is for a full four man turn. And it was a busy turn, not a quiet mud turn. On top of that a Soviet team member had to take refuge from an extreme weather event during the turn too.

We used to be the fast side but we are definitely losing our crown - I thought our doing a four man team turn in 2 days was good!

For all those critics who said a team game takes too long I can only say we are accelerating. And well in to 1942!

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 320
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 3/15/2018 9:27:10 PM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

quote:

PRESS RELEASE

From Ewald von Kleist, leader of XXXXVI Panzer Corps

Ewald von Kleist is happy to announce his new posting as leader of the XXXXVI Panzer Corps.

Ewald von Kleist wished well to his former troops in the 1st Panzer Army commenting "The Soviets started the blizzard at the gates of Voroshilovgrad - and they are ending it still at the gates of Voroshilovgrad!"

Ewald von Kleist praised his predecessors as leaders of the XXXXVI Panzer Corps for leaving their units in better condition than could ever have been imagined through a blizzard. Having thrown back numerous assaults to the South of Moscow he noted the effectiveness of their quad cannons after raking rows of running horses from the enemy's cavalry corps.

Ewald von Kleist said "It is time for a new challenge and I look forward to further extending our lebensraum around Moscow. And as for EwaldvonKleist I have this to say to him - you were lucky in Berlin, and you could not hack it against me in the south, now I am coming after you! Not only have you stolen my name you have even stolen my image. Remember you can run but you cannot hide!"

Meanwhile, the 36th Reserve Rumanian Infantry Division is prepared to conduct a rear guard action at Voroshilovgrad. Perhaps the leader of XXXXVI Panzer Corps doesn't know everything he thinks he does.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 321
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 3/16/2018 3:01:38 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

Meanwhile, the 36th Reserve Rumanian Infantry Division is prepared to conduct a rear guard action at Voroshilovgrad. Perhaps the leader of XXXXVI Panzer Corps doesn't know everything he thinks he does.

The leader of XXXXVI Panzer Corps says "I am no longer in charge there, not my problem!"

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 322
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 3/28/2018 8:23:03 PM   
M60A3TTS

I'm beginning to think the threat of Artificial Intelligence may be a little overrated if this is any indication.

There go a dozen admin points down the drain.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 323
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 3/29/2018 1:00:33 AM   
Crackaces

quote:

I'm beginning to think the threat of Artificial Intelligence may be a little overrated if this is any indication.

The costs of multiple defeats during the blizzard :)

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 324
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 3/29/2018 1:02:51 PM   
Telemecus

Another week and another Russian poisoning attempt! The perfidy of the Soviet side knows no bounds as its assassination squad tampered with thedude357's Ragu sauce preventing them from doing their whole go in turn 34. Many thanks to Crackaces for stepping in to cover during the temporary absence. Meanwhile doctors say thedude357 will be back on the front line next week and indeed could be flying in their recon plane again by tomorrow. Those in the know know the sacking was for the bungled hit.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 3/29/2018 1:12:50 PM >

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 325
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 3/29/2018 1:40:08 PM   
M60A3TTS

If Ragu sauce was involved, that would indicate it was an Italian job. Yes, signs already appearing of a fracturing Axis alliance.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 326
8MP - Poisoning of thedude357 - 3/29/2018 1:56:58 PM   
Telemecus

The accompanying lemonade has also come under suspicion?

(many thanks to HLYA for this photo!)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 3/29/2018 2:01:39 PM >

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 327
RE: 8MP - Poisoning of thedude357 - 3/29/2018 4:21:17 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Could always have a "NOT SEE"(Nazi) Cola in a 12 pack from Amazon!!!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 3/29/2018 4:22:58 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 328
RE: 8MP - Poisoning of thedude357 - 3/29/2018 8:30:36 PM   
Zorch

This kind is preferred by Finns.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 329
RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES - 3/29/2018 8:36:47 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

The costs of multiple defeats during the blizzard :)

Excerpts from Wikipedia: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigory_Kulik)

Grigory Ivanovich Kulik (Russian: Григо́рий Ива́нович Кули́к) (9 November 1890 – 24 August 1950) was a Soviet military commander and Marshal of the Soviet Union.

Kulik was born into a peasant family near Poltava in Ukraine. A soldier in the army of the Russian Empire in World War I, he joined the Bolshevik Party in 1917 and the Red Army in 1918. During the Russian Civil War he became a commander in the Soviet artillery at Tsaritsyn and other battles.

In 1937 Kulik became head of the Red Army's Main Artillery Directorate, and remained commander of the Soviet artillery forces until 1941. He was both a sycophantic Stalinist and a radical military conservative, strongly opposed to the reforms proposed by Mikhail Tukhachevsky during the 1930s. For this reason he survived Stalin's Great Purge of the Red Army in 1937-38, and in 1939 he became Deputy People's Commissar of Defense, also taking part in the Soviet occupation of Eastern Poland in September. He led the Soviet's artillery attack on Finland at the start of the Winter War, which quickly foundered under his poor leadership. He was awarded the title of "Hero of the Soviet Union" in recognition of "outstanding services to the country and personal courage."[1] As a close friend of Stalin he was successfully able to convince him to spare upwards of 150,000 Polish prisoners from execution in the Katyn massacre.

On May 8, 1940, Kulik was named a Marshal of the Soviet Union, along with Semyon Timoshenko and Boris Shaposhnikov. He had a reputation as an incompetent officer, a "murderous buffoon", and a bully, but his closeness to Stalin put him beyond criticism. He could not protect his wife though, Kira Simonich, who two days before Kulik's promotion had been kidnapped on Stalin's orders. She was subsequently executed by Vasili Blokhin.[2]

Artillery Directorate chief

Kulik's continued close ties to Voroshilov, one of only two of the original five Marshals to survive the Great Purge, led to him being appointed chief of the Main Artillery Directorate in 1935. Responsible for overseeing the development and production of new tanks, tank guns and artillery pieces, Kulik's fundamental ignorance in his field of expertise—coupled with his abusive, bumbling personality and tendency to condemn technological advances as "bourgeois sabotage"—would prove a serious hindrance to the Red Army's ability to modernize itself prior to the war with Germany.

Kulik clung stubbornly to a vision of the Red Army as it was in 1918, the last time he had held a field command. He condemned almost every major advance in technology or doctrine beyond that point, many of which were later adopted anyway and proved invaluable in the Soviet victory over the Axis. He bitterly denounced Marshal Tukhachevsky's campaign to redevelop the Red Army's mechanized forces into independent units like the Wehrmacht's Panzerkorps; the creation of separate divisions allowed them to use their greater maneuverability for Deep Battle-style maneuver warfare, rapidly exploiting breakthroughs rather than simply supporting the infantry. Correctly sensing that Stalin viewed new ideas as potential threats to his power, Kulik successfully argued against the change, suggesting in a letter to Stalin that such attitudes showed an unhealthy ideological sympathy with the "degenerate fascist ideology" of favoring feint and deception over aggressive frontal attack. Tukhachevsky's unorthodox ideas eventually cost him his life during the Great Purge, but in less than a decade Marshal Georgi Zhukov was using the same techniques to great effect in Manchuria against the Japanese, eventually convincing Stalin of their value and using them to outstanding effect during Operation Bagration.

It also did not help that Kulik personally despised tanks and armored vehicles altogether, arguing that they were inferior to horses and would "never replace them". He even criticized his friend Marshal Voroshilov's support for the production of the T-34 and (his namesake) KV-1 tanks, both of which later proved instrumental in the survival of the Soviet Union. After he was overruled by Stalin and ordered to produce the tanks anyway, he began deliberately dragging his feet over the production of ammunition and guns, resulting in a drastic shortage of 76.2mm shells. At the start of the war, no more than 12% of the T-34 and KV-1 tanks had a full ammo load; few had any anti-tank rounds, most had no more than a few HE shells, and a shocking number had to rely solely on their coaxial machine guns, having no 76.2mm rounds at all.[4] Many T-34 and KV-1 tanks were sent into battle underarmed and eventually had to be abandoned by their crews when they ran out of ammunition.

Of particular note was Kulik's meddling in the armament of the T-34 and KV-1 tanks prior to and in the early period of the war with Germany. Already opposed to tanks, Kulik deliberately opposed the adoption of the superior F-34 gun, designed by P. Muraviev of Vasiliy Grabin's design bureau at the Joseph Stalin Factory No. 92 in Gorky. The F-34 had proved in testing to be both considerably more effective and cheaper than the Leningrad Kirov Plant's L-11 76.2mm gun, but Kulik's status as political patron for the Leningrad Factory resulted in the relevant armament diplomats being too frightened of being arrested to approve the production of the better gun. This short-sighted decision eventually necessitated a rushed retrofit of the KV-1 and T-34's gun in the midst of the German invasion, when it became apparent that the L-11 could not reliably penetrate even the lightly armored Panzer III, which was being faced in large numbers. The crisis was mitigated only by Grabin's disobedience; with the support of Kulik's political enemies, he had secretly ordered the manufacture of a reserve stock of F-34 guns, predicting correctly that they would shortly be needed and that the decision would be ultimately supported by Stalin once it had proved itself in battle. Grabin turned out to be correct; Kulik was reportedly furious for having been countermanded and attempted to denounce the F-34's designers to Stalin after the fact, but was silenced by a flood of letters from Soviet tank crewmen to Stalin writing in support of the new gun.

Kulik also disparaged using minefields as a defensive measure, considering it at odds with a properly aggressive strategy and calling it "a weapon of the weak." This disastrous decision allowed for the essentially free movement of German forces across Russian defensive lines during Operation Barbarossa, with static defensive strongpoints being easily bypassed by Panzer spearheads and surrounded by infantry, forcing the defenders to surrender. He also zealously supported Stalin's exhortations against retreat, allowing whole divisions to be encircled and annihilated or starved into surrendering en masse. Eventually, after Kulik's demotion, it was only the laying of multiple layers of anti-tank mines that allowed for both the successful defense of Leningrad during the German siege and the successful trap sprung on the much stronger German armored forces at the Battle of Kursk.

Kulik similarly scorned the German issue of the MP-40 submachine gun to their shock troops as a "bourgeois fascist affectation", stating that it encouraged inaccuracy and excessive ammunition consumption among the rank and file. He forbade the issue of the PPD-40 to his units, stating that it was only suitable as a "pure police weapon". It was not until 1941, after widespread demand for a weapon to match the MP-40 again overruled Kulik's restrictions, that a simple modification of the manufacturing process for the PPD-40 produced the PPSh-41, which proved to be amongst the most widely produced, inexpensive and effective small arms of the war, considered by many German infantrymen to be superior to the MP-40, with whole companies of Russian infantrymen eventually being issued the weapon for house-to-house fighting.

Lastly, he refused to support the production of the innovative Katyusha rocket artillery system for no other reason than he did not trust anything other than World War I-era horse-drawn artillery. Although it could have been produced much earlier in the war without his meddling, like the rest of Kulik's rejected innovations the "Stalin organ" eventually proved to be one of the most effective Soviet inventions of the war and a major advance in artillery technology.

Wartime command

When Germany invaded the Soviet Union in June 1941, Kulik took command of the 54th Army on the Leningrad front.[5] Here his incompetence caught up with him, and he presided over heavy Soviet defeats that resulted in the city of Leningrad being surrounded and the necessity that General Georgi Zhukov be rushed to the front in order to stabilize the defenses and take over Kulik's command.

Zhukov states Kulik "was relieved of his command, and the Stavka placed the 54th Army under the Leningrad Front" on 29 Sept. 1941.[6] On June 22, the Defense Industries and the Artillery Directorate were transferred away from Kulik to a 32-year-old factory director, Dmitriy Ustinov. In March 1942 Kulik was court-martialed and demoted to the rank of Major-General. His status as one of Stalin's cronies saved him from the firing squad that was the fate of other defeated Soviet generals. In April 1943 he became commander of the 4th Guards Army. From 1944 to 1945 he was Deputy Head of the Directory of Mobilization, and Commander of the Volga Military District.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: 8 player multiplayer - THREAD FOR BOTH SIDES Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI