Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

C-47/R4D Differences

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> C-47/R4D Differences Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
C-47/R4D Differences - 3/30/2018 12:04:07 AM   
afspret

Been monkeying around with the Guadalcanal scenario and noticed the USN/USMC R4D has longer ranges than the AAF C-47. Is that by design or an oversight? I compared the two in some of the other scenarios and they have the same ranges.
Post #: 1
RE: C-47/R4D Differences - 3/30/2018 1:54:43 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: afspret

Been monkeying around with the Guadalcanal scenario and noticed the USN/USMC R4D has longer ranges than the AAF C-47. Is that by design or an oversight? I compared the two in some of the other scenarios and they have the same ranges.

I don't know for sure, but I seem to recall reading that the transports sometimes carried a couple of .50 cal MGs and gunners. They removed the side windows to allow firing. That extra weight would reduce either cargo carried or fuel.

Since Guadalcanal is a short scenario with contested airspace over the island, I could see the designers modeling an armed C-47, but not wanting to impose the loss of range on C-47s in the Grand Campaign where arming the transports was probably rare.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 2
RE: C-47/R4D Differences - 3/30/2018 7:55:59 AM   
JeffroK

I have never heard of C47's being armed with 50cal, best is that in the ETO windows had a small port which enabled small arms like Stens to be fired. Bloody useless but makes the passenger happy.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: C-47/R4D Differences - 3/30/2018 8:23:17 AM   
JeffroK

Looking into the editor, Scen1 & Scen4 in both cases the C47 & R4D have the same endurance and cruising speeds. However Scen 4 gives both an extra 5 hexes of Ferry Range. Maybe to allow transfer in particular circumstance?

The only variation can be found in the RAF Dakota III & Li2P having longer endurance and cruising speed.

But, in Scen4 the C47 shows ranges of 35/12/10 hexes (1391/453/362 miles) and the R4D-1 70/23/19 hexes (2782/905/724 miles)
As this appears to be a manually entered value I believe its a typo and not a deliberate entry as research shows the C47 had a max range of 1600 miles.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 4
RE: C-47/R4D Differences - 3/31/2018 4:14:24 PM   
m10bob

In game, many of the planes' ranges do not reflect accurate real life ranges.
The C 47 model should be able to fly from Frisco to Pearl but I have seen some scenarios which would not allow this.

The original designers had a hard enough job with individual model research, then having to compensate for map distances (not using a peeled orange map for instance), and then having to abstract just enough to make the planes behave in a somewhat uniform manner with each other.

Making a change to one plane, no matter how minuscule, will affect every other plane in the game, in some way.

I have about as many reference books as anybody, and learned to fly on an old WW2 era Piper J 3, so have been involved in that era of aviation, (and WW1) since the fifties.)
Look carefully at the windows and you can see the small openings for the passengers to poke small arms from.
This plane was used "in theater" for our game.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 3/31/2018 4:19:19 PM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> C-47/R4D Differences Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI