Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Curious

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Curious Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Curious - 3/30/2018 12:35:42 AM   
afspret

Been pondering something for a while and am wondering if its just my imagination. My question concerns those IJN baby KBs, which are built around CVLs, that sweep through the NEI & the PI in the early part of Ironman. It seems that after bombing and torpedoing everything in sight these TFs pull into such ports as Jolo, Tarakan or Balikpapan, sit there for a couple of turns, then come out and wreak more havoc. Am I imagining it, or are they resupplying in these ports, even though they are still in Dutch & US hands?
Post #: 1
RE: Curious - 3/30/2018 2:00:17 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: afspret

Been pondering something for a while and am wondering if its just my imagination. My question concerns those IJN baby KBs, which are built around CVLs, that sweep through the NEI & the PI in the early part of Ironman. It seems that after bombing and torpedoing everything in sight these TFs pull into such ports as Jolo, Tarakan or Balikpapan, sit there for a couple of turns, then come out and wreak more havoc. Am I imagining it, or are they resupplying in these ports, even though they are still in Dutch & US hands?

If you are playing the AI, the programmers had to build in shortcuts because they had no way of predicting how the war would progress. So the AI can do things that are not kosher in a player-controlled turn. I am guessing the programmers had to guess that by your game date the Japanese would own those bases and place AKEs in them.

The AI can also "teleport" assets across the map so that it can begin executing a script. The programmer had to assume that the Japanese would have gathered the resources needed to carry out the script.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to afspret)
Post #: 2
RE: Curious - 3/30/2018 8:24:28 AM   
JeffroK

Hands up how many have seen IJN units refuelling at an Allied Port??

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Curious - 3/30/2018 11:37:54 AM   
GetAssista

I think OP observes the usual Patrol area behaviour with some waypoints happened to be set on Allied port hexes. AI can sometimes choose non-zero X in "linger for X days" in the waypoints

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffroK

AI ships do not need refuelling in allied ports when they can refuel from thin air ;) Their on-map speed never drops to 1/0.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 4
RE: Curious - 3/31/2018 4:17:21 PM   
rustysi

quote:

The AI can also "teleport" assets across the map so that it can begin executing a script.

But only from within a port in which they are disbanded.

quote:

quote:

AI ships do not need refuelling in allied ports when they can refuel from thin air

Have never seen either event, but have seen them run w/o fuel at speed w/o accruing damage.

quote:

Their on-map speed never drops to 1/0.

Never, that I've noticed.

AI does need all the help it can get, as there's no way for it to anticipate an opponents moves.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 5
RE: Curious - 3/31/2018 4:33:08 PM   
GamesaurusRex

Ooops Wrong thread.

< Message edited by GamesaurusRex -- 3/31/2018 4:38:55 PM >

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 6
RE: Curious - 4/2/2018 8:48:34 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: GamesaurusRex

Ooops Wrong thread.

OK, is this a disregard request? It's important that you specify so that we know what to do next.

(in reply to GamesaurusRex)
Post #: 7
RE: Curious - 4/2/2018 3:12:05 PM   
GamesaurusRex

Yes... please disregard.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 8
RE: Curious - 4/2/2018 3:26:34 PM   
HansBolter

I don't think they are replenishing, because I believe they have no need to do so.

I have played many, many games against the AI through '42 and in just about every one the mini-KBs spend weeks circling Java striking day in and day out without ever needing to replenish.

I cannot say I have noticed them slipping into Allied controlled ports, but I have seen them deliver way more ordnance than any US carrier is capable of carrying without ever apparently replenishing.

I attribute this to giving the poor AI some advantages to make it almost competitive.

I have seen this on Normal difficulty as much as I have seen it on Hard, so it isn't just the supply advantage of the Hard setting at work here.

Hans

(in reply to GamesaurusRex)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Curious Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI