Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Steam release

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> Steam release Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Steam release - 1/9/2018 3:16:18 PM   
ivanov

Are there any plans to release this game on Steam?

Thanks

Lest we forget.
Post #: 1
RE: Steam release - 1/10/2018 12:41:44 PM   
Saint Ruth

No plans at the moment!
One thing at a time!
Thanks,
Brian

(in reply to ivanov)
Post #: 2
RE: Steam release - 1/10/2018 3:37:57 PM   
ivanov

OK, thank, I hope it will happen eventually.

Lest we forget.

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 3
RE: Steam release - 1/21/2018 6:41:17 PM   
ETF

Certainly, I agree......so much less of a hassle than dealing with Matrix or Silverine etc.....I like turn key operation :)
Guess I'm getting old.

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

(in reply to ivanov)
Post #: 4
RE: Steam release - 3/22/2018 7:43:04 PM   
Capt Cliff

Releasing the game through Steam is a must. It might even be a show stopper for me whether I buy or not.

Addendum; I just saw that to get a disk for the game it will cost an extra $15 for a total of $55. I've had trouble with my PC dying and having to reload games. Steam is relatively hassle free and I have no experience with Matrix Games. So if there is no Steam release then no way will I buy!

< Message edited by Capt Cliff -- 3/22/2018 7:50:53 PM >

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 5
RE: Steam release - 3/22/2018 8:11:05 PM   
zakblood

quote:

Steam is relatively hassle free and I have no experience with Matrix Games.

same company as slitherine, both which have longer and better support than steam imo.

steam is a good marketplace, and for ease of use it's good, but forums are poor and support can come down to the makers of the game in question, as steam doesn't support games, only the backbone, it can't update game, bugfix or sort out any issues with mostly any of it's games, without first going to the makers, if they are still going etc, support here is for years after purchase, and all patches are inclusive, meaning you only ever need to keep one, not all.

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 6
RE: Steam release - 3/22/2018 10:42:37 PM   
ivanov

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

steam is a good marketplace, and for ease of use it's good, but forums are poor and support can come down to the makers of the game in question, as steam doesn't support games, only the backbone, it can't update game, bugfix or sort out any issues with mostly any of it's games, without first going to the makers, if they are still going etc, support here is for years after purchase, and all patches are inclusive, meaning you only ever need to keep one, not all.

Obviously the game devs update and fix their games, but if the game is on Steam, then the update takes place automatically. The users don't have to worry if they have the latest version or to follow the forums ( not everyone's thing ) to know what's the current state of the game. I also like Steam because I have all the games in one place and I don't even have to have them all installed on the computer, to keep them in Steam library. This is a huge benefit, because if you change your machine, you don't need to worry about all the installers and key numbers. I was initially sceptical about Steam but now I can't live without it. I understand that probably Steam may not offer the best deals to the dev companies, but I think that thanks to it, the games get exposed to new audiences, which are not as dumb as you may think. The hardcore wargames like War in the East or Red Storm have pretty good reviews written by the Steam users.

For the moment I'm going to pass on Desert War, not that it doesn't look impressive, but I have a huge backlog of games in my Steam library Hopefully sooner or later DW will appear on Steam and then it will be an instant buy for me.

< Message edited by ivanov -- 3/22/2018 10:43:56 PM >

Lest we forget.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 7
RE: Steam release - 3/23/2018 2:30:52 AM   
Rosseau

I am a big Steam fan, but would not base a purchasing decision on some of the really good (imo) Matrix games. I did lose my computer and found it quite easy to get all my exe's in the Members Area and put things back together again. And yes, with some games, dlc, and patches it is more work than Steam. Steam is no work at all.

They will probably get it on there all updated and maybe a discount for Capt Cliff and others at some point!

(in reply to ivanov)
Post #: 8
RE: Steam release - 3/23/2018 10:01:16 AM   
Smirfy

If its not on steam I simply do not buy it.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 9
RE: Steam release - 3/23/2018 6:36:53 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Cliff

Releasing the game through Steam is a must. It might even be a show stopper for me whether I buy or not.

Addendum; I just saw that to get a disk for the game it will cost an extra $15 for a total of $55. I've had trouble with my PC dying and having to reload games. Steam is relatively hassle free and I have no experience with Matrix Games. So if there is no Steam release then no way will I buy!

If it's just the convenience of having a CD for reloading game after computer dies, the way Matrix is set up to automatically provide members with downloads for their registered games, you really don't need to buy, or make your own CDs anymore.

Nothing against Steam of course, just wanted to make sure you knew that Matrix delivery system has improved to the point that you don't even have to contact Support for re-downloads for most games you buy now.

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 10
RE: Steam release - 3/23/2018 7:39:24 PM   
DerGrenadier

No Steam, no buy for me.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 11
RE: Steam release - 3/25/2018 8:07:45 PM   
ETF

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Cliff

I would have to agree again with you Cpt. I had up to 36 passwords for gaming sites/programs. Love Steam now. Click and play. No hassles no searching for serial codes or updates.

Yep, no steam no buy.....my 2018 resolution....

< Message edited by ETF -- 3/25/2018 8:08:52 PM >

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 12
RE: Steam release - 3/25/2018 8:31:27 PM   
jwarrenw13

I love Steam, but I always buy Matrix games direct from Matrix, Steam or not, to support Matrix. When a Matrix game I have comes out on Steam, I immediately activate it on Steam. But I also like the fact that I get an actual digital copy of the game from Matrix. I keep all the installation files and serial numbers of all my Matrix games on a portable hard drive and in the cloud. If something ever happens to Steam -- a remote possibility but possible; or to Matrix -- I will still have my files and my games. It works for me. I'm not saying it is the best way to do things. A lot about gaming comes down to personal preference when all the back and forth is done. The Steam forums, for example, are filled with threads many pages long containing vicious arguments about things that come down to nothing more than personal preference. But it works for me. So I'm just offering my opinion, not saying anyone is wrong.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 13
RE: Steam release - 3/25/2018 11:20:22 PM   
Rosseau

If you don't want Steam to update a game, you have a Matrix version. Some games have been almost ruined by patches and not all devs allow you to roll back via Steam. This has never happened (ever) with Matrix to my knowledge. Their patches are pretty solid, so only a minor advantage here.

And as we all know, major patches on Steam typically make key Workshop mods incompatible overnight. Unless the modder is very diligent or you can roll back, it can be a game-breaker.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 14
RE: Steam release - 3/26/2018 1:01:48 PM   
CapnDarwin

From the Developer perspective, the patches made for a game are basically the same. The only difference is how the player gets them. Steam is nice in that it does the unzipping of files automatically and the user does not need to be tech savvy in any way. The Matrix front end update should do the same thing if it can download from the FTP site and not trip over your AV program. In my case, this works 1 in 20 if I'm lucky. Matrix also gives you the Member area and you can download the updates and manually install. That's also pretty straightforward as well. The only time it can be a bit complicated, is if you download a zip file and have to extract it to the correct folder. In today's world that might be out of the skill set of young users or older users new to computer games. With many options, choose what works for you.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 15
RE: Steam release - 3/27/2018 5:14:05 PM   
Granicus

Steam is a major gating factor for me. I own dozens of games, go through multiple computers, and am a stickler about having everything patched. Plus it serves as a central point for news and reviews, which helps me evaluate the games, and choose whether to get expansions, etc.

Login IDs and passwords is another issue. Turns out I do have a Slitherine/Matrix ID already created (which means I bought something at some point), but I had to go through the password reset process just to figure out what my username was, and get the new password. My account isn't listing which Slith/Matrix game I actually bought, so it's as good as gone. Never had that problem with a Steam purchase.

That said, I wasn't aware that Matrix was providing Steam keys for games purchased here. If I buy DS now and it gets ported to Steam later, does a key get generated? Or does it only work if the game is already on Steam?

(in reply to ivanov)
Post #: 16
RE: Steam release - 3/28/2018 2:35:42 AM   
winkr7

No steam, no buy here too.

(in reply to Granicus)
Post #: 17
RE: Steam release - 3/28/2018 4:29:58 AM   
countrboy

Didn't even occur to me that I might not buy it because it's not on Steam. Steam is nice, most of my games live there, but to pass up an opportunity to play the only decent North African campaign game since Deserts Rats was released in 1985....? No way.

(in reply to winkr7)
Post #: 18
RE: Steam release - 3/28/2018 5:21:59 AM   
bcgames

Steam yes/no was not a choice Brian Kelly Games was offered.

(in reply to countrboy)
Post #: 19
RE: Steam release - 3/29/2018 3:03:17 PM   
Capt Cliff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

If you don't want Steam to update a game, you have a Matrix version. Some games have been almost ruined by patches and not all devs allow you to roll back via Steam. This has never happened (ever) with Matrix to my knowledge. Their patches are pretty solid, so only a minor advantage here.

And as we all know, major patches on Steam typically make key Workshop mods incompatible overnight. Unless the modder is very diligent or you can roll back, it can be a game-breaker.

There are setting in Steam where you can choose to NOT update a game. But it's beyond me why you would do that.

No steam no buy ...

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 20
RE: Steam release - 3/30/2018 1:45:04 PM   
winkr7

In steam you can pick a beta update number and stick with it, or not update, or go back to previous update. This is useful for several reasons: one you can try the update and still go back to the solid game, if you are in a play by email game you can stay in that version.

Long ago before steam I used to buy games here and there from sites like this one, and try to keep track of all my passwords.

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 21
RE: Steam release - 3/31/2018 3:40:03 PM   
jjdenver

Guys, the chances are that it'll eventually arrive on Steam.

Matrix/Slitherine make more selling direct so they usually release games without allowing them on Steam initially then after a year or two they put it on Steam.

The good news is this:
You can buy it on Matrix/Slitherine then later when it's on Steam you just take your cd key and enter it on Steam then you can play the game from the Steam launcher. I do it with lots of games.

(in reply to ivanov)
Post #: 22
RE: Steam release - 9/25/2018 1:40:08 PM   
DonCzirr

Last comment on this was end of March.

Any updates?

I'll buy this game but only if on Steam so I can play on my Android tablet.

Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 23
RE: Steam release - 9/25/2018 4:09:28 PM   
Saint Ruth

Sorry, no plans for steam.
By the by, the game is only for PC, so I don't think it'll work well on a tablet.

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 24
RE: Steam release - 9/25/2018 4:12:09 PM   
Saint Ruth

I'm a bit superstitious so I don't want my number of posts at 666...

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 25
RE: Steam release - 9/25/2018 4:20:03 PM   
DonCzirr

I've seen the game screens and can't see why it can't be played on tablet.

I play Decisive Campaigns Case Blue, Strategic Command and Pride of Nations on tablet with no issues.

Curious that Steam would not be in your plans ....

Oh well - I'll have to make do with the Strategic Command Afrika Korps scenario on Android.

Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 26
RE: Steam release - 10/7/2018 9:00:05 PM   
bigus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smirfy

If its not on steam I simply do not buy it.

I'm the opposite.
ARMA 3 is a good example. I want to play. But wait! I can't play MP until the 1.9 gig update is finished.
I may be old school but if you remember Gamespy, you'll know why I prefer my games on my hard drive. No one knows how long Steam will last.
If a game is on Steam only, I'll think hard about whether I purchase or not.

< Message edited by bigus -- 10/7/2018 9:04:06 PM >

(in reply to Smirfy)
Post #: 27
RE: Steam release - 10/8/2018 11:53:59 AM   
demyansk

I like Steam as well. The funny thing is, old games rarely get played these days. I like buying on Matrix and then playing the game on Steam with a key for the game. The one good thing about Steam is the Refund process. That might be the one and only reason I will buy on Steam. I have done this a few times with games purchased that ended up being Crap!

(in reply to bigus)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> Steam release Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI